Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dairy and Acne Link
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
I have recently been reading some info on the link between acne and dairy (I was specifically looking into cystic acne but it also appears to be acne in general).

Has anyone tried cutting milk products out of their diet and has it made any difference to their skin?
sahmisme
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
That's interesting. Is it related to the hormones? I've never heard of this, but I don't think I could cut out dairy. I love dairy, lol.

When you do, would you have to take a Calcium supplement?
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
There was a study published in 2005 about the link between the hormones present in most dairy products and acne.

http://www.acnehelp.org.uk/dairy.htm

If acne is a concern - then maybe you could do a dairy-free trial run to see if that helps your condition. Hormones in dairy products are being recognized as the cause of many illnesses/conditions because they introduce unnatural levels of hormones in the body. I think you're very wise to consider their impact on you.

If you do stop dairy, though - just remember to supplement your calcium intake.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
YES! Me! When I cut dairy out of my diet, my skin got better and better.
sahmisme
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Really? Wow it's disturbing actually, to think what they're putting in our food. I suppose you can buy hormone free milk?

I need to buy that if it's out there. I bet it would help my son's ezcema. Being that he's 4 I'm not ready to cut out dairy until I talk to the doctor next month. He'll be tested for food allergens then.

Seriously, I wish they would outlaw this crap.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
By the way, here are some good websites about calcium. As someone who is completely dairy free, I do NOT recommend you take a calcium supplement. Instead, learn about nutrition and which foods are abundant in calcium. It is much, much better for you and easy to get enough. Your bones and heart health will love you for it.

http://www.strongbones.org/
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/feb/whenfriendsask.htm
http://www.vegansociety.com/food/nutrition/calcium.php
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Great article - thanks taobunny. The last thing I need is extra hormones!

Fox, I am so glad to hear from someone this worked for! I am going to give this a try and will read the links you put up too.
Do you know of a nice tasting milk alternative? I can't stand the taste of soy milk Sad
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I suppose you can buy hormone free milk?

Hi Sahmisme - technically, milk has hormones in it naturally. But you can buy milk that is produced from cows not injected with rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone).

Here's a link to processors who offer rBGH free milk:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/rBGH/rbghlist.cfm

Hope this helps!
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
sahmisme wrote:
Really? Wow it's disturbing actually, to think what they're putting in our food. I suppose you can buy hormone free milk?

I need to buy that if it's out there. I bet it would help my son's ezcema. Being that he's 4 I'm not ready to cut out dairy until I talk to the doctor next month. He'll be tested for food allergens then.

Seriously, I wish they would outlaw this crap.

Actually, I *think* the hormone issue is because the cow has pregnancy and birth hormones in her system - given that we milk them for human consumption when really the milk is technically for her calves.

I believe there is also a digestion issue with milk as it not designed to be digested by humans which may also cause eczema etc - not sure if it links to acne there as well either or if that is the hormones only.

I have known quite a lot of this for a while but never took the plunge and cut it out - will let you all know how I go...
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
sahmisme wrote:

Well... it really depends on what you mean by "hormone free milk." Milk is teaming with hormones because it's, well, milk. You will never be able to get hormone free dairy unless you do something drastic to it.

Most people don't realise that in order for a cow - like any mammal - to produce milk she must first give birth to a baby. I don't produce milk randomly as a human female, and neither do cows.

All cows - all cows, organic, free-range and factory farmed - are manually impregnated for this purpose. When the baby is born hormones flood the mothers body and flow into her milk. The hormones help her babies grow and develop until they can survive without.

Because producers want to produce as much milk as possible, the cow (or goat or sheep) is impregnated again a few weeks after birth - while she is being milked. This, again, creates yet more hormones as this new calf grows inside her.

Sadly, this is also where the veal industry comes from - they are the "by-product" of the dairy industry.

My point is even if the farmers don't give the cow (or sheep or goat) hormones in the form of pills, she is producing incredible amounts of them anyway in order to produce milk.

So there really isn't any way to get hormone free milk Confused
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:

Hi Sahmisme - technically, milk has hormones in it naturally. But you can buy milk that is produced from cows not injected with rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone).

That is just horrible too - just to get a greater supply of milk I guess, but those hormones have to go somewhere and that is straight into our milk and therefore ultimately into our bodies Sad
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
sal-star wrote:

Fox, I am so glad to hear from someone this worked for! I am going to give this a try and will read the links you put up too.
Do you know of a nice tasting milk alternative? I can't stand the taste of soy milk Sad

I sure do! First of all, there are hundreds of brands of soy milks out there and each of of them tastes slightly different. Maybe you haven't found "you" brand yet?

Other than that, I like rice milk. The brand I use is Rice Dream but I'm sure there are others out there if you can't find it. There's almond milk, oat milk and even quinoa milk. (Quinoa used to be hot superfood a few years back.)

You just have to shop around and experiment. Dairy is an acquired taste - you've had it your whole life - so it might simply be a case of getting used to a new taste.

It's more than possible though, once you've set your mind to it Smile

EDIT: After posting the links to the Compassionate Cooks and Peaceful Prairie websites, I remembered about these food blogs. They're my absolute favorite food blogs; Just check out those pictures!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

http://veganyumyum.com/
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I do believe that dairy is just bad for us in general, and absolutely there's a link between dairy and acne. When I get more dairy than usual, it definitely shows on my face. Oh, if only cheese wasn't so delicious... Neutral

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
sal-star wrote:
taobunny wrote:

That is just horrible too - just to get a greater supply of milk I guess, but those hormones have to go somewhere and that is straight into our milk and therefore ultimately into our bodies Sad

Yeah... although I dropped this from my diet originally for health reasons, when I realised the moral implications of dairy I was so relieved not to be a part of it.

I don't believe in "preaching" but I also don't believe in snuffling out information like this by keeping it to myself. I truly believe someone will want to know, and there are few places that are open about it.

So, I'll say one last thing: these websites are absolutely amazing in showing these issues. The first one, a podcast, I especially like. It's clear a lot of work goes into making a researching the episodes. I've learnt so much from them. Colleen, the podcaster, is very welcoming and articulate. I wish I could be more like her!

http://feeds.feedburner.com/VegetarianFoodForThought

http://www.peacefulprairie.org/

Back to the topic Smile
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:

Yeah... although I dropped this from my diet originally for health reasons, when I realised the moral implications of dairy I was so relieved not to be a part of it.

I don't believe in "preaching" but I also don't believe in snuffling out information like this by keeping it to myself. I truly believe someone will want to know, and there are few places that are open about it.

So, I'll say one last thing: these websites are absolutely amazing in showing these issues. The first one, a podcast, I especially like. It's clear a lot of work goes into making a researching the episodes. I've learnt so much from them. Colleen, the podcaster, is very welcoming and articulate. I wish I could be more like her!

http://feeds.feedburner.com/VegetarianFoodForThought

http://www.peacefulprairie.org/

Back to the topic Smile

I just listened to one of the pod casts - Colleen speaks very well and I found it fascinating! I will definitely listen to more of them.
Have you read Skinny Bitch? I read this 4-5 months ago and adopted a meat-free diet - though I do still eat seafood, but at the time the idea of cutting milk products was too much for me!
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
I've been milk free for over two years now. I still have cheese once in awhile, so, I am not "dairy free," but, I have switched to alternative "milks" for coffee and icecream.

Funny thing is... I felt a wave of nostalgia hit with the Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks, when meeting a friend to chat. I got a venti and the next day or so, I had terrible acne starting to form all over my face Crying or Very sad

I personally can't stand most of the non-dairy milks and ice creams out there... and *loathe* the Rice Dream ones.

However, Good Karma makes a fantastic rice milk and icecream. The carrot cake icecream is AMAZING!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Agave wrote:
I've been milk free for over two years now. I still have cheese once in awhile, so, I am not "dairy free," but, I have switched to alternative "milks" for coffee and icecream.

Funny thing is... I felt a wave of nostalgia hit with the Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks, when meeting a friend to chat. I got a venti and the next day or so, I had terrible acne starting to form all over my face Crying or Very sad

I personally can't stand most of the non-dairy milks and ice creams out there... and *loathe* the Rice Dream ones.

However, Good Karma makes a fantastic rice milk and icecream. The carrot cake icecream is AMAZING!

Giving up cheese will be hard - there is just NO substitute for cheese!! lol

wow - what a reaction to that latte you had Agave! I love my lattes too, but I also LOVE good clear skin so that is going to be good motivation for me Very Happy
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:20 am      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:

EDIT: After posting the links to the Compassionate Cooks and Peaceful Prairie websites, I remembered about these food blogs. They're my absolute favorite food blogs; Just check out those pictures!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

http://veganyumyum.com/

Those sites are awesome - thanks Fox - you are making me hungry!!!!! Razz
sahmisme
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:51 am      Reply with quote
I was checking out the food lists for good sources of calcium, and those look like the kinds of foods that 4 year olds run from. Laughing

Once I talk to my doctor, if I have to do something like this, I'll have to come up with some creative ways to hide things in his food, lol!
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have cut dairy completly from my diet and I only buy organic, drug free meats and my skin hasn't got better at all. It is actually worse now with cystic zits that are scarring so I have resorted to Accutane and my skin is better after just 1 week.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
sahmisme wrote:
I was checking out the food lists for good sources of calcium, and those look like the kinds of foods that 4 year olds run from. Laughing

Once I talk to my doctor, if I have to do something like this, I'll have to come up with some creative ways to hide things in his food, lol!

Oh I know what that is like!!! They always like the things that they shouldn't be eating...it certainly puts your cooking and creative skills to the test. Laughing
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
bugaboo wrote:
I have cut dairy completly from my diet and I only buy organic, drug free meats and my skin hasn't got better at all. It is actually worse now with cystic zits that are scarring so I have resorted to Accutane and my skin is better after just 1 week.

Hi bugaboo,

How long had you cut the dairy from your diet for? I had heard it can take quite a long time to completely leave your system. My child used to get earaches as a toddler and my Doctor told me it is nearly always dairy that is the cause - he is the one who said it can take a while to leave your system.
Of course maybe dairy isn't the answer for everyone too.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
I has been about 9 months now, I discovered that I am completely allergic to it, not lactose tolerant but Allergic so I had no choice unless I wanted to continue with the intestinal problems. I also can't have eggs and soy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Dairy breaks me out. I've been substituting it with almond milk and rice milk.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
wow,thanks for the post,i think i should cut out dairy

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |