Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Research on how Vit. C may reverse skin-aging
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
This is an article from Life Extension magazine on how vit. C may reverse skin-aging. It's pretty encouraging.

It is well established that oral consumption of vitamin C is required for healthy collagen systhesis. A growing body of evidence, however, reveals that the topical application of vitamin C produces much faster and more profound effects in facial skin.

In a double-blind human study, topical vitamin C was applied to one-half of the face and a placebo gel was applied to the other side. Clinical evaluation of wrinkling, pigmentation, inflammation and hydration was performed prior to the study and at weeks 4, 8, and 12. The results showed a statiscally significant improvement of the side treated with vit. C with decreased photoaging scores of the cheeks and the periorbital area. The periorbital area improved in both the vitamin C and placebo-gel group, likely indicating improved hydration. The overall facial improvement of the vitamin C side was statistically significant. This study showed that topically applied vit. C results in clilnically visible and statiscally significant improvement in wrinklilng when used for 12 weeks. This clilnical improvement correlated with biopsy evidence of new collagen formation.

Vitamins C and E may be of the utmost benefit in protecting against the exogenous oxidative stressors encountered in daily life. Sunscreen agents may also be combined with these anti-oxidants as both the safety and efficacy of the sun-blocking products are enhanced.

The skin requires constant systhesis of new collagen to remain firm and youthful. One study showed that collagen biosynthesis was reduced 40% following treatment with tobacco smoke extract. When an antioxidant mixture that included Vitamins C and E was applied, the destructive alternation of collagen induced by both tobacco and UVA radiation was prevented.

A randomized, double-blind controlled study was conducted on human volunteers to determine the efficacy of topical vitamin C application in treating mild to moderate photodamage of facial skin. Topical vitamin C was applied to one side of each patients face and a placebo was applied to the other side for 3 months. Results showed that the side treated with vitamin C showed a statistically significant 71% combines score improvement. Clinical assessment parameters demonstrated significant improvement with vitamin C treatment compared to placebo for fine wrinkling, tactile routhness, course rhytids, skin laxity/tone, sallowness/yellowness, and overall features. Photographic assessment demonstrated significant improvement as well, with the vitamin C treatment scoring 58% greater than placebo. This three month study using topical vitamin C provided objective and subjective improvement in photodamaged facial skin.

A study was also done using NATURAL Vitamin A. A topical application of Vitamin A for seven days increased fibroblast growth and collagent systhesis, while reducing levels of a collagen-degrading skin enzyme called metalloproteinase. Topical vitamin A reduced matrix metalloproteinase expression and stimulated collagen synthesis. Vitamin A drugs (Retin-A) have shown more profoundly acute effects in reversing aging effects in both phodamaged and naturally aged skin, but some people find the drugs irritating to the skin.

The need for all-day protection.

There are literally hundreds of cosmetic brands in today's commercial marketplace, but very few contain [/i]nutrients that pupblished scientific studies have shown to be beneficial to the skin. Considering that women often apply cosmetics on a daily basis, it makes sense that the cosmetics should include ingredients that block damaging ultraviolet light, guard against free radicals, stop inflammatory processes, replilnish collagen, stimulate cellular renewal and restore the skin's natural antioxidants. Exciting new studies show that certain nutrients, when applied topically, can reverse some aspects of skin aging. With the newly available nutrient-rich cosmetics, women have a convenient way to benefit from scientifically documented skin-restoring agents.

Life Extension Magazine, October, 2004

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for this article Judy, it was a good read. I had done a tonne of read-up on the Vit-C regime from the Skinceuticals range as forum members had provided their feedback and seen the results... you've reminded me to get back to that now as I'm looking for preventative care for both myself and mum now that she's starting to see the difference between supermarket brands and reputable lines on her skin. Looks like the regime I need for this coming summer in Australia.
hOnEy~LiPs
5% products discount

Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
tnx for d info! =)
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Judy, wonderful article! Thanks for posting!
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
betterat40 wrote:
Judy, wonderful article! Thanks for posting!

That article convinced me even more strongly that I need to use a good Vit. C cream in addition to the other things I do.

JUDY

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:51 am      Reply with quote
Another big thanks to Judy for such an informative post Smile I'm really a newbie in the Idea Vit C bandwagon and am really loving this stuff (SkinCeuticals C+AHA). I can't hardly believe the improvement in my skin with just 2 weeks of usage. My only other advice would be to use added moisturiser as Vit C serums can be drying even for my combo/oily skin. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |