Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lumigan for eyelash growth?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
happyAThome
5% products discount

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hey I got my new More magazine in the mail today and on the cover it says Thicker Lashes - Now and Forever

You just know I had to turn to that first don't you? Anyway to sum it up they talk about Latisse or ..... Revitalash and Peter Thomas Roth Lashes to Die For.

Haven't heard anyone mention the second one so I thought I'd post it and see what the scoop was?
NishaGh1
5% products discount

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
andrina wrote:
We will be travelling to Indonesia (Bali) & to Thailand (Bangkok & Phuket) soon. Do you think that I could pick up a bottle or two from either of those places?

Yes!! And you should pick up a bunch of extras to sell to us Lumigan-obsessed folks back in the States.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:56 am      Reply with quote
semayden wrote:

Yes, ADC do it but it's $25 a small bottle. Also, it expires (so I've read - will try to find where if you want me to) 4 weeks after opening - where'as Lumigan carries on for longer. Actually, I think that info is contained within this thread so maybe scan through.

Ok then not worth trying.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:56 am      Reply with quote
happyAThome wrote:
Hey I got my new More magazine in the mail today and on the cover it says Thicker Lashes - Now and Forever

You just know I had to turn to that first don't you? Anyway to sum it up they talk about Latisse or ..... Revitalash and Peter Thomas Roth Lashes to Die For.

Haven't heard anyone mention the second one so I thought I'd post it and see what the scoop was?

What second one?
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:55 am      Reply with quote
Hello,

I just got my package from ADC with the Lumigan in the small bottles.

Am I supposed to squeeze a few drops onto a clean, dry mascara brush...then apply at the lashline (upper and lower) before bed?

Also, if this is proven to grow hair, are men buying it by the gallon to pour over their heads? Bad Grin

BF
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:59 am      Reply with quote
I wouldn't waste a few drops....what I do is use the backside of a clean tea cup (I know...kinda weird! ha ha...but it's flat!) and only squirt out one drop on to it and that is plenty enough to dip my brush in and get all my lash lines....actually it's too much, but I can't get any less out!!! Very Happy

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:44 am      Reply with quote
I drop it in the cap. And use a brush. Well i did. Now I just use my finger and smear it on my brows.

But the cap worked well.
andrina
5% products discount

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Hello,

Am I supposed to squeeze a few drops onto a clean, dry mascara brush...then apply at the lashline (upper and lower) before bed?

Also, if this is proven to grow hair, are men buying it by the gallon to pour over their heads? Bad Grin

BF

I do what wenrwdy does; just one drop into the cap is enough for both upper & lower lashes as well as both eyebrows. That is the method my eye doctor told me to use when I was interested in buying Latisse from her.

That way you are keeping the solution sterile, and if you use the finest possible brush, you can keep the solution from getting into your eyes and also keep from wasting it.

It only takes a couple of minutes that way, and you know that you are doing all that you can to avoid any problems.
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to share what I have been using for the past month or so. I got the Brow and Lash serum with KGF from skinactives and use it along with the Lumigan. I use the Lumigan everyother day with the KGF and then the KGF alone the other nights. I have been using the KGF on my eyebrows too and I see a fullness there. I use Rogaine too on my brows. I have used the rogain for at least a year and added the KGF. I think the KGF gives the Lumigan and the Rogaine a boost. Anyway the KGF is only 10. bucks. Nothing to loose there. My eyelashes are full and long. I use mascara too. They look good if I say so myself.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
andrina wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:
Hello,

BF

I do what wenrwdy does; just one drop into the cap is enough for both upper & lower lashes as well as both eyebrows. That is the method my eye doctor told me to use when I was interested in buying Latisse from her.

You get all that out of one drop??? wow! No I needed a drop for each eye, top and bottom. You must have some brush and do it well.

Maybe I am a more is more person and inadvertently use too much.
andrina
5% products discount

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
andrina wrote:
wenrwdy@aol.com wrote:

You get all that out of one drop??? wow! No I needed a drop for each eye, top and bottom. You must have some brush and do it well.

Maybe I am a more is more person and inadvertently use too much.

Barefoot girl, I must admit that I only do a small portion of my eyebrows, but one drop is all I need. I once tried using two drops but with my superfine brush it took me such a long time to use it up - I kept applying & applying...

I purchased a really fine brush from a nail shop, I think it is used for nail art - the tip is needle fine, so the brush does not soak up too much liquid, and I can apply it several times over the same area before its all finished (one tiny drop) with this superfine brush goes such a long way.

I have only been using it for 2 weeks, so its early days yet, but I think I can see a little extra length already. Very Happy
JennyJam
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! This sounds like a miracle product. Thank you for all your reviews. I might have to try it!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
andrina wrote:
That way you are keeping the solution sterile, and if you use the finest possible brush, you can keep the solution from getting into your eyes and also keep from wasting it.

Andrina, how did the Dr suggest to keep the brush clean?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
Just checking in to update my experience..

After 9 months of use (daily for about 5 or 6 weeks, and 3 times per week thereafter) my upper eyelashes look like they have shrunk to their original size.. Laughing

They are still as dense as ever, and the bottoms are still as long as ever. No redness around rims, and no darkening of my green eyes. I also didn't notice any shedding with 3 X per week more than the norm you'd expect, without using an eyelash product.

I'm giving it a break for one month, and then will start again alternating one night with Lumigan and the next with Castor Oil.

I also want to let any of you who order Lumigan from alldaychemist.com know, that the 3 bottles I purchased recently all expire in 1 years time.. (Point being these new ones are the same lot # and batch, as the one I purchased in June 2008.)

If you plan to order more than one, you might want to shoot them an email specifically requesting the freshest batch... Which *should* have an 18 to 24 month expiration date.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
If anyone is interested in trying out Rapid Lash, the seller got more and his regular price from now on will be $37.99 plus free ship (still $10 lower than the cheapest deal on ebay) and an auction starting at $34.99 free ship if you want to go that route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAPIDLASH-BY-PROMAXYL-EYELASH-RENEWAL-SERUM-NEW-BOX-3ml_W0QQitemZ120413288128QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120413288128&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

If you can't see the auction via that link I gave ya here is his store.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/rob-ideal-gifts
andrina
5% products discount

Fri May 01, 2009 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
andrina wrote:

Andrina, how did the Dr suggest to keep the brush clean?

She told me to just wipe it with some rubbing alcohol and then let it air dry for a few minutes. Dont put it away until it is thoroughly dry (bacteria cant breed on a clean dry surface).

I treat this whole process like I treat my teeth, and I haven't had cavaties for years Very Happy
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
semayden wrote:
I've been haunting the Latisse section of Realself for weeks, and have read most of the dr replies. It's my opinion that most of their opinions are a bit shaky to say the least. So, I would hesitate to accept what any of them say as gospel.

I agree. I find many of them are acting like used car salesmen, trying to tell you that Latisse and Lumigan "aren't the same thing", "different formulas", and similar nonsense...

And this Lorrie M.D. person and her blog is really annoying - she refuses to respond to any questions about the (much less expensive) generic options and deletes any questions where users are reporting anything other than very gentle side effects. I guess she prefers to sell her $140 bottles than to enlighten people that Bimatoprost can be had for a tenth of what she is charging!
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
After 9 months of use (daily for about 5 or 6 weeks, and 3 times per week thereafter) my upper eyelashes look like they have shrunk to their original size.. Laughing

Bummer!

At least I have a few months to go.. Neutral
Peachie
5% products discount

Fri May 01, 2009 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy,

Thanks for posting your before and after pics. You look AMAZING!!! Your skin looks great too! Very Happy
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
wenrwdy@aol.com wrote:
Lowbrowscientist wrote:

Of course, many people didn't experience the shedding until the 5 to 6 month mark, so I'm not quite out of the woods just yet, I guess ...

So you started in January? I thought the peak is reached at 4 months.

Oh, I've probably peaked as far as length. But from what I've read on the gazillion eyelash threads, the people who experienced sudden mass shedding were usually at the 5 to 6 month mark, or more. So, now I'm waiting to see if I start losing my lashes in a couple months. Neutral

Quote:
It was for me. BUT I saw the thickness along with the length growing. I guess I seem too picky but I just don't want to waste so much time and money.

For me, the Lumigan (and maybe the Rapid Lash, if it works) *IS* the way to simplify and not waste money. I'm pretty much satisfied with the density, though, so if you're unhappy with that I can see why you'd still be searching for other options.

From what I'm reading, I also think you're applying it differently than me.. for one, it sounds like you're using a bigger brush, which would certainly make it harder to keep it out of your eyes. Also, you were applying both oil and Lumigan every night, while I was alternating.

I have the RL now too, though, so I'll be giving that a shot. It's not much different for me in terms of ease of use, just slightly better because of the gel formula (and it's faster to apply, I have to admit), but if it gives me the length I get from Lumigan AND conditioning/thickness, I'll be switching over to RL permanently. I'll take some before pictures this weekend.

Quote:
It is no big deal to me to pay an extra $25-$28 for something that will simplify my life. I really did not like having to do the two steps and smear castor oil on my lashes. The Lumigan is so thin that it almost always gets in my eyes.

Like the JM they the Rapid Lash has ingredients that thicken it up a bit so it stays on the lash line. Even with a tiny brush It was hard to keep the Lumigan out of my eyes.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Lowbrowscientist! We love pictures!! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Just checking in to update my experience..

Do you mean the original long lengths of your girlhood? (see, I remember!) or just prior to Lumigan? If the latter, then that is dismal news for the rest of us, and I find it rather discouraging. Crying or Very sad

Oh well, upwards and onwards - maybe things will be different for some of the rest of us.
semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:
semayden wrote:
I've been haunting the Latisse section of Realself for weeks, and have read most of the dr replies. It's my opinion that most of their opinions are a bit shaky to say the least. So, I would hesitate to accept what any of them say as gospel.

I agree. I find many of them are acting like used car salesmen, trying to tell you that Latisse and Lumigan "aren't the same thing", "different formulas", and similar nonsense...

And this Lorrie M.D. person and her blog is really annoying - she refuses to respond to any questions about the (much less expensive) generic options and deletes any questions where users are reporting anything other than very gentle side effects. I guess she prefers to sell her $140 bottles than to enlighten people that Bimatoprost can be had for a tenth of what she is charging!

Good description of most of the doctor replies!

Now, on to something I find vaguely disturbing and I'm looking into it.

I read an article today where the writer (Roseanne Colletti) quoted Caroline Van Hove (who works for Allergan) as saying that Latisse is only 5% of the strength of Lumigan!:

'According to Van Hove this is how things weigh in. Latisse is 5% of the strength of Lumigan and is not applied directly to the eye, but to the lashes. On the other hand, Lumigan is dropped directly on the eye. Even with Lumigan, "there is no evidence of blue eyes turning brown, but of brown and other colors getting darker," says Van Hove.'

I whizzed into the official Latisse site, and found the wording to be somewhat different:

'Eye color change – iris pigmentation – was not reported in the LATISSE™ clinical trials. Iris pigmentation has occurred in patients who applied similar medications directly into the eye to treat elevated intraocular pressure/glaucoma. Keep in mind that the amount of product applied to the base of the upper eyelashes is only 5% of the volume vs. when applied directly into the eye. Most of LATISSE™ is absorbed by the skin at the upper eyelid margin. Please consult your doctor to learn more about LATISSE™.'

By now, annoyed and confused, I decided to email this Anastasia who gets some kind of authorative mention on the Latisse site, to ask her what she knew of this. I am awaiting a reply (hopefully).

I also (sorry, Swedish Charlotte!) went into Dr Lorrie Klein's Latisse Clinic site and posted the question of whether the above info. was true. She started by prescribing Lumigan for longer lashes long before Allergan brought out Latisse - so I figured she'd have the definitive answer. I'm awaiting a reply, however, whilst I was in her site I saw this on her Latisse page:

'Lumigan™ (also bimatoprost and identical to Latisse) is a prescription eye drop for glaucoma which was discovered to also stimulate eyelash growth in patients using it. Prior to its FDA approval as Latisse, Dr. Klein treated over 1500 patients with Lumigan™ for eyelash growth, as an off-label use. We found that it stimulated eyelash growth in 100% of our patients that used it as directed. Probably no one else in the U.S. has had this much experience in their practice with using bimatoprost for stimulating eyelash growth. This experience led Dr. Klein to be chosen as an Allergan Consultant for Latisse.' (My emboldening throughout).

So, there we are. Looks like we've had the correct answer all along - but we'll see what they have to say!
semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Yes Lowbrowscientist! We love pictures!! Very Happy

Ah, but Fawnie she hasn't said she'll show them to us - just that she'll take them!!! Laughing
andrina
5% products discount

Fri May 01, 2009 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
semayden,

I love reading all your posts as they are always so informative. Best of all is your common sense attitude to all that confusing information out there. Keep on keeping us updated, your great.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |