Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lumigan for eyelash growth?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Metaphora
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing I'd hate to have even hairier nostrils through squirting it in my nose, believe me...

Oh yikes! ... you just reminded me of an old Kids in the Hall skit! Laughing Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:31 am      Reply with quote
I think injecting yourelf is a bad idea. If you inject botox into the wrong muscle you could have some very bad results like a drooping eye...you could end up looking like a stroke patient.Injecting sculptra incorrectly could leave you permanently disfigured for life. There are many sculptra patients who injected improperly and there is nothing you can do to fix it and drs do not even want to attempt to correct it.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:18 am      Reply with quote
Just got mine in from ADC yesterday, not a problem at all and only took about a week and a half.
Is everybody using it just once a day on the lashes or twice?
I got an old clean mascara brush that I am applying it on the lashes with. Does that work the same as drawing it on the lash line?

5% products discount

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I used it once a day for about a month and then cut back to once every 2-3 days.

It's meant to be used at the lash line, not on the lashes, in order to stimulate the roots.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Is everybody using it just once a day on the lashes or twice?
I got an old clean mascara brush that I am applying it on the lashes with. Does that work the same as drawing it on the lash line?

I use it once a day in the morning and use a fine-tipped brush to paint it on my lash line like a liner.

Applying with a mascara brush won't get the product where it needs to be to stimulate hair growth - it needs to be on the skin, at the roots of the lashes - if you just apply it on the lashes as you describe, I doubt you'll get any benefit whatsoever from the product!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:20 am      Reply with quote
That's what I needed to know. I will apply it on my lash line tonight.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
lilbou4 wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:
I just read on Wiki that bimatoprost (the active in this) has also been reported to increase fat loss - apparently, some people have noticed fat deposits around their eyes getting smaller. Now, this might be a good thing for eye bags, but not good if you have hollows or tear troughs.

It has been reported to impact an area called the "lid sulcus".

BF

has anybody notice this??? I do not want to lose fats around the eyes! Fats around the eyes do help the eyes look more youthful.

Gosh, that is scary!

Take a look at this:

Quote:

Methods: A clinical investigation of 5 nonconsecutive patients with unilateral glaucoma treated daily with topical bimatoprost 0.03% for up to 4 years prior to presentation.
Results: In eyes treated with bimatoprost 0.03% the authors noted periorbital fat atrophy, deepening of the upper eyelid sulcus, relative enophthalmos, loss of the lower eyelid fullness, and involution of dermatochalasis compared with the fellow untreated eye. By inspecting old photographs the authors confirmed that these unilateral changes were not present prior to starting bimatoprost. In addition, these changes were partially reversible after discontinuation of the medication, whenever that was possible. In 2 cases imaging studies confirmed the clinical impression that these findings were not related to primary orbital pathology.

Conclusions: Physicians and patients should be aware of the potential of bimatoprost 0.03% to produce periorbital changes.

Text from: http://journals.lww.com/op-rs/Abstract/2008/07000/Periorbital_Changes_Associated_With_Topical.13.aspx

Bimatoprost has so many side effects (as darkening) that there are some patents pending for reversal of grey hair using it. However, one should be aware that beyond the benefit, some serious issues could be happening as well.

----------------------------

Someone mentioned mixing lumigan with oils. As this can be good to actually keep hydration high it can help as well to spread the bimatoprost beyond eyelash line, and for those sensitive to suffer side effects doesn't help much.
If it was me I would apply bimatoprost first being specially careful that only touches the base of the eyelashes. Make sure gets totally dry and then apply any conditioner, oil or any "after" I want.

--------------------------

Girls, keep an "eye" on your eyes.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
this is the first time I have ever heard of this and that just stinks Mad ! You FINALLY find something that gives you awesome lashes and then find out it makes your eyes hollow.What to do?
Face4ward
5% products discount

Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Why are people using Lumigan "straight up"? The original Jan Marini mixture that everyone had such great results with contained only a small amount of bimatoprost. And yet now people are using bimatoprost full strength? This just doesn't make any sense.

The only reason Allergan is using the identical drug in Latisse that they use in their Lumigan product, is so they won't have to seek FDA approval for what essentially would be a new drug if they were to lower the concentration; ie. dilute with inactive ingredients.

Allergan brought Latisse to market at breakneck speed after getting the FDA to pull the Marini product because -- why? The FDA said it could damage eyesight.

If I were using Lumigan for eyelash growth, I would dilute it with distilled water, at least 50%, and probably even mix it much, much weaker than that.
Face4ward
5% products discount

Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Listed below are the ingredients for the old Jan Marini product. Notice "eyelash growth factor" is the last ingredient. The gel formula was meant to keep the drug in place on the lash line in order to avoid migration into the eye, whereas Latisse/Lumigan is the consistency of water and can easily migrate into the eye. If Allergan had spent the time and money to reformulate for safe eyelash use, Latisse still would not be on the market. But hey...who needs safe when profits are at stake? Gotta love Big Pharma. I find it ironic that Jan Marini's product (pulled by the FDA) was infinitely safer than Allergan's FDA-approved Latisse/Lumigan.

I'll bet our resident DIY'ers can do better than Allergan and come up with an effective AND safe eyelash enhancer.

"Jan Marini Age Intervention Eyelash Conditioner comes in a .23 ounce container with one tube lasting approximately six months. The gel like consistency means the product stays directly in the applied area. While some users see noticeable results within a two week period, continued use is recommended. Ingredients: Deionized water, hydrolyzed glycosaminoglycan sodium hyaluraonate, triethanol-amine, propylene glycol methylparaben propylparaben, acrylates C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, panthenol, biotin, sodium chloride, sodium phosphate, eyelash growth factor."
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Am I allowed to offer someone an unopened bottle of lumigan that I have? I bought 2 bottles last fall, used half of one, but I've elected not to continue use.
CarpeFelis
5% products discount

Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Am I the only one who actually wants the side effects? I'd love to lose the extra fat between the eyelid and eyebrow; I really hate the "tired" look it gives me, but don't want surgery. I'd also love it if it would darken hairs because I've been getting a few white ones in the eyebrows (as of yet, using it on the brows hasn't changed that). And I wouldn't mind if my eye color darkened - I always looked better wearing brown contacts, when I was still able to wear contacts at all.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Several weeks ago, I ordered a bottle of lumigan from ADC - not wanting to use it straight, I diluted it into a tube of MD Lash Factor which seems to be working as well as the old Jan Marini formula - and no side effects.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
mogulicious wrote:
Several weeks ago, I ordered a bottle of lumigan from ADC - not wanting to use it straight, I diluted it into a tube of MD Lash Factor which seems to be working as well as the old Jan Marini formula - and no side effects.

Some of us discussed this earlier in the thread - but none of us could really come up with anything we felt happy about tipping the Lumigan into. We looked at Ardell brow & lash accelorater (cheap and gel-like) as a medium, or at other straight oils, such as castor, coconut, jojoba etc. but again everyone was unsure about the dilution factor, and didn't want to lose the ptency of the Lumigan!

I'm still interested though, because I just don't like the feel of such a strong medication being so watery. I'm open to suggestions!

ATM, I use it neat - but very sparingly. However, I must confess to sometimes applying it to a lashline that has already had some kind of nourishing oil applied prior to the Lumigan. I suppose I just change things around a little from night to night as mood takes me.

BTW, I'm one who has NEVER had the slightest hyperpigmentation (darkening) on the lids. I really don't know why - and wouldn't mind too much if I did! Yu see, my eyes are quite big; fairly wide set and my brows are high-set = lots of lid area available to roam in! Consequently, I always look a bit better when I have some shadow brushed over the lid... Rolling Eyes
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
has anyone tried both lumigan and rapid lash?
if so, which did you prefer?
ammoniasmith
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
I am a little leery of mixing the bottle of Lumigan with other stuff. I am trying to keep that bottle free of contaminants as we use it very close to our eyes and we could be risking infections. Especially since I am hanging on to that bottle far longer than the average glaucoma user.

I think I would rather cut back on application to only 2 or 3 times a week. That bottle could last quite a while at that rate wouldn’t it? I hope the preservatives last that long!
Lenniemi
5% products discount

Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:18 am      Reply with quote
I've been using it for a few days now, too soon to say anything about results but even though I don't put it into my eyes, my eyes are extremely red. When I have red eyes, I usually use a product called "visine" but it doesnt help now.

I do admit I also applied it to my lower lashes because it would be odd to have long dark upper lashes and short light lower lashes.

Is there anything I could do to avoid contact with the eyes?
I read that it's a side effect during the first few weeks and then it goes away but I'm not so sure about that. Hopefully they're right.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:11 am      Reply with quote
My eyes have been itchy and red as well. I know it is part of the side effects sometimes, but I don't like it!

5% products discount

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:26 am      Reply with quote
hopefully it goes away because at work they thought I had been crying. Bought a eyebrow brush today, maybe that will help to apply it a bit better.
ricayhermosa
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:42 am      Reply with quote
semayden wrote:

BTW, I'm one who has NEVER had the slightest hyperpigmentation (darkening) on the lids. I really don't know why - and wouldn't mind too much if I did! Yu see, my eyes are quite big; fairly wide set and my brows are high-set = lots of lid area available to roam in! Consequently, I always look a bit better when I have some shadow brushed over the lid... Rolling Eyes

I think I read somewhere in this thread that only 3% experienced the darkening of eyelids, and even so it's among those who put lumigan directly into their eyes.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
cynthia rowlands website(facial exercises) mentions that an option for those that do not want to use lumigan,her optometrist said to just wash and massage eyelids and lashes to stimulate growth and it worked for Cynthia
semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
cynthia rowlands website(facial exercises) mentions that an option for those that do not want to use lumigan,her optometrist said to just wash and massage eyelids and lashes to stimulate growth and it worked for Cynthia

I'd like to see the pictures to prove this! If that were all it took, I'd have had lashes down to my shoulders years ago (and eyebrows too!). Laughing
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:40 am      Reply with quote
Face4ward wrote:
Why are people using Lumigan "straight up"? The original Jan Marini mixture that everyone had such great results with contained only a small amount of bimatoprost. And yet now people are using bimatoprost full strength? This just doesn't make any sense...

If I were using Lumigan for eyelash growth, I would dilute it with distilled water, at least 50%, and probably even mix it much, much weaker than that.

Are you kidding me?? Lumigan is not "full strength", far from it, in fact it contains a mere 0.03% bimatoprost, the rest is (basically) saline water.
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:48 am      Reply with quote
Lenniemi wrote:
hopefully it goes away because at work they thought I had been crying. Bought a eyebrow brush today, maybe that will help to apply it a bit better.

No, you go to your nearest Arts&Crafts type store, and pick up the skinniest little paint brush they have. (they are usually called "00" or even "000" and cost next to nothing. Preferably much skinnier than your typical eyebrow brush.

It's all about getting a super precise application only at the lash base and nowhere outside it. It sounds like you are using too much liquid if you keep getting it into your eyes. You don't need more than one drop for both eyes, tops!

If you are sloppy about it, you will get little peach fuzz growing on your lids and on top of your cheeks and it looks weird and disgusting... The liquid transfers easily even if you think you are careful. I learned that lesson the hard way in the beginning.
goodbyekitty
5% products discount

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:01 am      Reply with quote
I have been applying it with a q-tip, in a thin line as close to my eyelash roots as I can. I hope I am getting it right...
I only started it 10 days ago

Swedish_Charlotte wrote:
If you are sloppy about it, you will get little peach fuzz growing on your lids and on top of your cheeks and it looks weird and disgusting... The liquid transfers easily even if you think you are careful. I learned that lesson the hard way in the beginning.

How did you remove the peach fuzz? I hope I don't get that Confused Was it quite noticeable?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |