Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Questions about Vit C serum and or Vit E serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I always heard that Vit C serum must be combined with a Vit E to get the full effect. But what if I just use Vit C serum alone? Would I benefit anything from it at all? And what exactly does a Vit C serum do to our skin?

I see that EDS carries a few brands of Vit C & E serum such as Vivier and SkinMedica but they're quite expensive at $120 something for 30ml. I can't seem to adjust myself to it if it does nothing much for me. And then I see CellularSkinRX is selling a Vit C serum for $40(30ml)... such a big difference! So my question is... how can one tell which is a better one to get?

My main issues are to prevent any wrinkles around my eyes as I can see some very fine tiny lines if I smile big. Also, I seem to notice some nasolabial (sp?) lines around my nose to mouth areas. I kinda wanna firm the areas there... not sure if Vit C will do anything?

Sry for this long post. But I would really like to include a good antiaging product into my skincare routine! Thanks in advance! Smile
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I am not sure if a topical C will help too much with fine lines. I look at it more as a preventive and to help your sunscreen for better protection.

Do you use Retin A and sunscreen daily? The Retin A will help with fine lines, but it takes about 1 year of nightly use to see the full effects.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not using any Retin A right now cuz I heard it's irritating around the eye area? I'm using a sunscreen everyday. It's just a moisturizer with SPF though. Do u know anything about the Nia 24 product? I heard it's good in helping with lines although I never tried it myself.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy, I used the Nia products only for a short while, so I can't help you with that! Have you checked out the Nia thread here on the forum? There are several women using it, and they all seem pleased with the Nia products.

The Retin A can be irritating around your eye area, but there are a lot of us who use it under the eyes and on the crows feet. You can always start with the lowest percent, or possibly think about a retinol product, which would be more gentle.

For a good anti-aging line, you may want to look at the ZO Skin Health. They are supposed to be coming available on EDS, so you would get your discount. I love the products, myself, and they have a really nice eye cream. Good luck!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin C has impressive clinical evidence in peer reviewed scientific journals for collagen regeneration. It also is effective for hyperpigmentation and skin tone blotchiness. The studies, as I recall, test it without a Vitamin E additive, so although added D may be helpful, Vitamin C alone is proven effective.

Personally, I use the Cellularskin-rx serum because it has given my very noticeable results. I've also tried Vivier, which seems to work equally well, but it's so much more expensive that I can't rationalize spending that much more when the cheaper Cellularskin-rx works so well.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
I think only vitamin c serum is enough for protecting skin from oxidant. You should use vitamin C serum more than 10%.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl, I did check out other reviews. Some said it's great while some said it irritated them. And it's quite expensive too so I'm afraid to get it and then can't use it. I hope EDS will give me samples when I order next time.

flitcraft, I was thinking of getting the Cellularskin-rx too cuz the price seems reasonable. So what kinda noticeable results did u see then? Thanks! Smile
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:35 am      Reply with quote
A vitamin C serum with added vitamin E is proven to give better antioxidant protection than vitamin C alone. The two vitamins work synergistically and enhance the effect of one another.

CellularskinRX C+ is a good, stable and affordable vitamin C serum. You can get the added benefits of vitamin E by using a moisturizer that contains vitamin E on top if it, or add some drops of vitamin E oil to your usual moisturizer. Vitamin E oil is cheap and can be bought at a pharmacy or in an online shop with DIY-ingredients.

Topical application of vitamin C serum is shown to promote collagen synthesis, hence it may improve fine lines to some extent. I agree that retinoids will do a better job in reducing existing wrinkles and lines. The main benefit of vitamin C serum is most likely preventing future signs of aging.

Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin C is the first "active" skincare product I used, so since I wasn't using anything else, I can be sure that the changes I saw are directly caused by it. I found that, within the first couple of weeks, my skin looked more "healthy"--less dull, less blotchy, less pronounced ruddiness in the cheeks. I think this is what people refer to as the "glow" they get from C serum. Over the next couple of months, I saw a decrease in hyperpigmentaion and brown spots, to the point where I stopped using concealer over those areas.

I can't say that I noticed any decrease in fine lines. For me, retinoids turned out to ave the greatest effect on lines, once I started using a retinoid product later on.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl, thank you for advising to use a moisturizer with Vit E on top. I guess that helps too. If there's a cheaper Vit C & E serum, I'll definitely go for it as I don't like to put so many layers on the face since it's too time consuming!

flitcraft, it's nice to have an even tone to the skin. I guess it helps to lighten pimple marks too? What about eye circles...one can hope hehe Laughing Btw, is it too harsh to apply a Vit C serum around the eyes too? Cuz that's my main issue there. I was hoping that it'll reduce very fine tiny lines to some extent but it seems it's more for prevention instead of a cure. I hope it firms the area a bit too? Smile
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone heard that Vitamin C can contribute to more blackheads? I read that on a post and was wondering what others' experiences with that have been.

Also, SkinCeuticals offers a C + E Feurulic serum that combines both!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Stardusty, I think the "firming" effect of Vitamin C is just a secondary effect of collagen building. Since collagen building is a long term process, firming will be a slow matter.

I use my C serum everywhere, even patting a bit on my eyelids. No problem for me. But I don't think it has any impact on dark circles. Frankly, for me, nothing but concealer has worked for that issue...
Amyalex
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi. I have a vit C question as well if I may ask. I haven't been able to find a bit C product that doesn't cause tiny white bumps (not milia)on my chin and neck. It doesn't Do it around eyes and high part of cheeks. I've tried skinceuticals, vivier and a couple others.

So I've been trying different antioxidants (SOD, antioxidant booster from SkinActives, Red tea I think, etc). But I wonder if the C is best.

Does anyone know of a non irritating one? Should I try to incorporate it somehow?

Thanks so much. I get so confused with dll the antixidants out there. And not sure if vit C does more than just protect.

Thanks again for any advice/help!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:43 am      Reply with quote
You might try Skinmedica, lots of people have reported good things about this C serum. It has a very different kind of base than the serums you tried, so if it is the base that is causing your "bumps" you may find this one doesn't do that.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Amyalex.
Since you get into pore trouble when using vitamin C serums from SkinCeuticals and Vivier, it seems like you should avoid liquid l-ascorbic acid serums in a base of propylene glycol etc.

Then you have a couple of other options. I second flitcraft's recommendation of SkinMedica Vitamin C Complex. This is a gel like cream with 15 % vitamin C (10 % l-ascorbic acid and 5 % Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate) combined with vitamin E in a polysilicone base. Many people, myself included, seem to get less clogged pores from this product than other vitamin C serums. I really like this serum.

Another option is a vitamin C serum containing only the oil soluble form Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate. Benev and 302Skincare make use of this form in their formulations. I believe these products are less likely to cause pore trouble, but unfortunately they are also less likely to penetrate your skin than serums with l-ascorbic acid.

Vitamin C is superior to all other antioxidants in topical skin care formulations. There are several independent studies showing its properties in preventing signs of aging and to some extend repair existing damage by promoting collagen production. The only product that can repair lines, fine wrinkles etc to a larger extent, is Retin-A.

Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
hhm what about CellularSkinRx? It used Butylene Glycol as a base. Is it the same as propylene glycol?
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
No, those two bases are different, but if one is causing a skin reaction, it's possible the other would as well.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |