Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Supplements - What do you take and why?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone -

I hope it's okay that I'm posting a topic here - as I'm just a newbie. wave

I've been a long-time reader of this forum - and have recently started posting. I love this forum and have learned a LOT. Thank you so much to all the wonderful posters here - who have such great information to pass on.

Anyway - my question to you is what supplements do you take and why? I've kind of gotten confused as to what I thought was a simple thing - and have been trying to read through the archives to get a clearer picture. So far, I've gotten even more confused.

Currently, I'm taking:

1 Centrum multivitamin
1 Vitamin B50 - 50 mcg
1 1200 mg molecularly distilled fish oil
2 Citrical (total 800 mg calcium citrate)
2 MSM tablets (total 2000 mg methyl-sulfonyl-methane) Just started taking these because of the MSM thread.

Can anyone advise on what is right/wrong with my current supplement regimen? Would you recommend any changes? I appreciate your input and would take you recommendations and suggestions. (I've seen a lot of people with signature lines with what they take - or use - but I'm not clear *why* - so any info would be helpful!)

Thanks so much in advance!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
There are lots of posts about this topic. Try searching for supplements or vitamins (in the title only) and you will find lots of info.

As always with any supplements listen to your body and do research to make sure its right for you.
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tao!

So, I read somewhere that Centrum Multivitamins are difficult to break down in your stomach and therefore all the vitamins don't get absorped. I don't remember where or when I read that, but it stuck with me. I take a food-based multi from Whole Foods that is really easy on the stomach. I also take fish oil. Make sure this is a really high quality brand...I like Carlson's. I also take vitamin c for the antioxidant properties. And I take magnesium to help regulate the nervous system.

Haven't heard of MSM...I'll have to research this on the forum.

I went to a naturopath and had him make suggestions based on my specific concerns. I also found a neat chart online by Dr. Perricone that outlines different benefits of vitamins and minerals.

Here's the link: http://www.perriconemd.com/index.cfm?action=home.nutrition_recommend

Good luck! Very Happy
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi GirlieGirl - Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post. Your suggestions are very much appreciated. Smile

Quote:
http://www.perriconemd.com/index.cfm?action=home.nutrition_recommend

Hi Jeanni - What a helpful link - thank you so much for your advice and information. I'm a big fan of Whole Foods - so I'll definitely check out their offerings when I'm there next. I've been thinking about adding in magnesium - so it's good to hear from someone who actually uses it. Thanks so much again!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi, taobunny!
I don't know if your Multivitamin complex contains vitamin D. If it does not, I would definitely add it to the list as it's shown to protect against various forms of cancer, promote bone health etc. Most people have too low vitamin D levels.

If you want to add one more supplement to your list, my recommendation would be a green drink (barley grass, broccoli powder etc dissolved in water). Unless you are eating lots of vegetables everyday, a green drink is a great way to substitute a lack of vegetables in your diet. I also find that it gives my skin a nice glow.

Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergal...that's so true. I also take vitamin D. Not necessarily for any benefits to my skin, but to help my body absorb calcium. Gotta keep them bones strong! Very Happy
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
BTW, September, what kind of green drink do you take and where do you get it? And is it yucky? Laughing
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I take a bunch of supplements recommended by my Naturopathic Doctor.

Check out this link:
http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2461007.html#V

The above link provides really good information such as the recommended dosages for vitamins.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:47 am      Reply with quote
jeanni wrote:
BTW, September, what kind of green drink do you take and where do you get it? And is it yucky? Laughing

Hi, jeanni.
I take Green Magma, powdered barley grass juice. You can buy it from iherb.com. It doesn't taste so good in the beginning, but you will soon get used to it. Smile

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=5228479423116593730&at=0

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:50 am      Reply with quote
I went through a period where I went overboard on supplements...it was exhausting. Now it is just:

Hair, Skin, Nails Multi-Vitamin (Country Life)
DIM (supposed to help with acne and maintain good hormonal balance, helps eliminate bad estrogens and can help prevent cervical cancer)
Glucomann (fiber to help with my dysfunctional digestive system, a lot of reviewers at vitacost say they use it for weight control though)
Dura Flora Probiotic (helps with digestive system as well)
Fish and Flax oil (incredible for my skin if I take it regularly, which is difficult cause the taste is so awful)
Biosil (I initially bought it to help with my hair, but it has been superb for my knees and joints)
I also take a few drops of oregano oil occasionally when I feel I need to be "cleansed"

Wow all of that even seems like a lot, but it is much more manageable than what I was doing before (l-cysteine, MSM, lecithin, inositol, brewers yeast, etc.)
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Wow, thank you everyone (esp. Jeanni, Septembergirl, Yen and Cocount) for your excellent links, input and advice.

I so appreciate everyone's tolerance of the newbie (that would be me!) and your great information.

Thanks again! Now, I'm off to investigate all your helpful links and sources!

Cheer and many thanks!
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Best of luck taobunny! Very Happy
strawberry1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
I take fish oil and flaxseed oil in the capsules.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
I always take fish oil with DHA and EPA, and also Vitamin C 1000 mg/day. It's good for health and my skin.
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Remember that your body can only use a certain amount of vitamin C at a time, then the rest is...ahem...wasted Laughing

I take my multi at night (which has vitamin C in it), then a vitamin c supplement in the morning, and sometimes again in the afternoon.
Kissmark
5% products discount

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
I take:

1. multivitamin (centrium just because it's easy to get)
2. omega 3 fish oil
3. calcium

I just take these 3 because on Oprah Dr. Z said these 3 are essentail for women.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny, you might find this thread useful if you haven't seen it already: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=404974#404974
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
i take calcium carbonate and multi vitamins....but thats cause i was told to by my doctor due to very low vitamin D levels.

other than that.....when i can remeber i will take vitamins c 1000mg
omega 3 flexseed oil capsule 1000mg

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Calcium citrate is better absorbed than calcium carbonate. And is generally better for health because calcium carbonate is usually from oyster shells that might be contaminated with heavy metals unless you buy from a brand that specifically states that it's been tested to safe from other chemicals.

The best source of vitamin D is from the sun so you should try to get about 15 mins of good sun exposure without sun block about 3 times a week. Otherwise the recommended daily intake of vitamin D has gone up recently to 800 - 1000 I.U. Some of the multivitamins have already incorporated this new daily dose but not all have. Apparently, vitamin D also has other beneficial effects apart from bone health, e.g. anti-cancer effect, etc. And a lot of people don't get enough in the diet. That's why sun exposure can boost your levels. It's much more efficient than dietary intake.
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Soooo...does this justify going to the tanning bed once a week? Cool
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Nooo....am referring to natural sunlight, only 15 mins at a time. If you're gonna get tanned, you risk damage to your skin and skin cancer.
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
I know, I know...wishful thinking Laughing
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:22 am      Reply with quote
i used to take the veggie/greens supplement in powder form but after a while the taste just got to me (can you tell i hate veggies, haha)
so now i take it in tablet form, i'm currently taking garden of life perfect greens ... the serving is 5 caplets per day and some might find that a hassle but as long as it gets me out of drinking it i'm good!! Laughing
mirar07
5% products discount

Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:28 am      Reply with quote
MSM - 2500mg everyday
Jarrosil (new formula of jarrow's biosil)
Earthsource Multi-nutrient (awesome multivitamin)

I alternate Jarrosil and the Multinutrient every 2 days because when i take them together, i break out and my skin looks so great now! I used to have really dry skin AND breakouts but now i suffer from neither Smile

ETA: I used to take Udo's 369 blend and my skin started to get really dry after awhile, has this happened to anyone else?
pipilover
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:06 am      Reply with quote
[quote="Coconut"]I went through a period where I went overboard on supplements...it was exhausting. Now it is just:

DIM (supposed to help with acne and maintain good hormonal balance, helps eliminate bad estrogens and can help prevent cervical cancer)

Hi there. Can you tell me what DIM is sound something for me because I really have some bad hormone issues so maybe this could help me? TIA.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |