Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Nail Tip Whitening Products? Tips/ Tricks?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
EZUltrasound
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:31 am      Reply with quote
So I'm not one to wear nail polish after a horrible disaster at an unclean nail salon where I got a nasty infection to my nail o.O

I love to buff, shine and file them though (I use Sephora's 4 in 1 buffer/ filer and its great!).

My nail tips tend to look kind of clearish or dirty by the end of the day though and was wondering if any1 had some good tips, tricks or products to do to make nails tips white or whiter?

I have a Sephora Nail White Pencil that you rub under your nail but it doesn't work all that well and rubs off pretty quick.

Would love feedback from anyone in this matter. Thanks!
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:11 am      Reply with quote
What works awesome for me is the Karen Herzog Kombi cream. I had been hearing great things about the KH hand and nail cream but couldn't use it because of the nut oil. I had originally bought the Kombi for my face but it didn't agree with my face so every night before bed I lathered it around and under my nails. My nail beds are now rose pink, the tips pure white and the nails are stronger. This cream has also helped my nails to grow. Before using this cream I had literally no nails and was one of those people that picked the skin all around, but now they look awesome. I have had lots of people comment about how nice my nails are. I can even go out gardening without gloves, come in with brown nails and within 2 days have pure white nail tips again. You should try the hand and nail cream. It is probably more moisturizing.
EZUltrasound
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
What works awesome for me is the Karen Herzog Kombi cream. I had been hearing great things about the KH hand and nail cream but couldn't use it because of the nut oil. I had originally bought the Kombi for my face but it didn't agree with my face so every night before bed I lathered it around and under my nails. My nail beds are now rose pink, the tips pure white and the nails are stronger. This cream has also helped my nails to grow. Before using this cream I had literally no nails and was one of those people that picked the skin all around, but now they look awesome. I have had lots of people comment about how nice my nails are. I can even go out gardening without gloves, come in with brown nails and within 2 days have pure white nail tips again. You should try the hand and nail cream.

Thanks for the suggestion! I love the KH line - her professional cleanser is the best! I will definitely look into purchasing the nail & hand cream. I couldn't really find a place online selling the Kombi cream you were talking about.

Is the product "Vita-A-Kombi 3"? Where did you get it from?

Do you think I need just the nail and hand cream and I'll be fine or should I get the Kombi also? or get just the Kombi? thanks!
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:34 am      Reply with quote
EZUltrasound wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I love the KH line - her professional cleanser is the best! I will definitely look into purchasing the nail & hand cream. I couldn't really find a place online selling the Kombi cream you were talking about.

Is the product "Vita-A-Kombi 3"? Where did you get it from?

Do you think I need just the nail and hand cream and I'll be fine or should I get the Kombi also? or get just the Kombi? thanks!

I'm using the Vita-A-Kombi 2 on my nails and I bought it here at EDS. I have also used the oxygen body cream on my nails which works OK too but not moisturizing at all. I like the Kombi cream and will repurchase for my nails only. I have been unable to try the hand and nail cream because of the nut oils (my son is allergic) but I'm pretty sure someone mentioned in the KH thread that they have used it and had the same results with their nails. I would love to have tried it.
EZUltrasound
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the link to the Kombi product on EDS. It looks like both the Kombi and the nail/hand cream are based on a 2% oxygen component so I might just go for the KH Kombi, since I could also use it on my face. The Nail/hand cream is a little cheaper but I had been wanting to try an oxygen product for the face anyway so I can kill two birds with on stone with the Kombi.

Also, I just found the following nail whitening recipe online (have no idea if it works but figured I'd post in case some1 has tried it or wants to:)

"Nail Whitening:
Several tricks can be used to make your tips look whiter. Nail expert Fran Manos (author of Beautiful Hands and Nails Naturally) recommends bleaching them in a solution of 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons of baking soda in a small plastic bowl. Use a cotton swab to press some of the mixture (it should achieve a pastelike consistency) firmly under the tip of each nail as well as over the top of the nail, covering all the nails on one hand. Allow the mixture to remain in place for about three minutes before rinsing with warm water. Repeat with other hand. Try this treatment every six to eight weeks."

Seems interested and a cheap way to whiten nails - not sure how safe it is or how good for your nails that is though. Comments anyone?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I also like the natural, shiny look on my nails and buff them every week with a nail buffer, before polishing with a chamois buffer and buffing cream.

Although the nails get very nice, pink and shiny, the nail tips remain dull and transparent with a somewhat dirty look. I have tried different types of bleaching agents with hydrogen peroxide on my nails, like the mix of HP and baking soda and remedies for bleaching body hair (Veet and Nair). It works very well to remove stains from the nails and to brighten them up, but I found that it does not whiten the nail tips.

I have now been using Karin Herzog hand and nail cream every night for two weeks. Yesterday I noticed that my nail tips looked very white and bright. It's well worth a try!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I also like the natural, shiny look on my nails and buff them every week with a nail buffer, before polishing with a chamois buffer and buffing cream.

Although the nails get very nice, pink and shiny, the nail tips remain dull and transparent with a somewhat dirty look. I have tried different types of bleaching agents with hydrogen peroxide on my nails, like the mix of HP and baking soda and remedies for bleaching body hair (Veet and Nair). It works very well to remove stains from the nails and to brighten them up, but I found that it does not whiten the nail tips.

I have now been using Karin Herzog hand and nail cream every night for two weeks. Yesterday I noticed that my nail tips looked very white and bright. It's well worth a try!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think I will try the KH creams - thanks for sharing your findings with the bleaching agents.
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
My mom taught me a little trick: soaking fingers in lemon juice! Inexpensive and works well to take yellow discolorations out of nail tips! Wink
EZUltrasound
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
jeanni wrote:
My mom taught me a little trick: soaking fingers in lemon juice! Inexpensive and works well to take yellow discolorations out of nail tips! Wink

Wow can't wait to try! I like this idea much more than the hydrogen peroxide one!!
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
jeanni wrote:

How long and how often do you have to do this? I remember hearing this tip a few years ago and tried it but it didn't do anything for me. Maybe I didn't do it for long enough?
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
I think it depends on your nails...how thick they are and how yellow. I've always just soaked while watching a movie or something. It does take a while for me, but I have really thick nails...

I use this to remove the brownish discoloration I get under my left ring fingernail from using Vit C serums... Laughing
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Let me know how it works if any of you try it...I'm curious on how effective this is for others. My nail tips are naturally pretty white, except for one of them. See above...
EZUltrasound
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
jeanni wrote:
I think it depends on your nails...how thick they are and how yellow. I've always just soaked while watching a movie or something. It does take a while for me, but I have really thick nails...

I use this to remove the brownish discoloration I get under my left ring fingernail from using Vit C serums... Laughing

so you soak for about 1.5-2 hours? wow, long time. how often do you find you need to do this?
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
No, not the whole time...just til the discoloration is gone Laughing

Like I said, I just use it to get out the discoloration from Vit C serums. Not sure how long for yellow tips. I remember doing it a while back and it did take a while though.
EZUltrasound
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
oo gotcha. Smile
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for the confusion with the movie comment...I bore easily, therefore I like multi-tasking. Usually throw in a movie while I manicure....let me know how it goes for you!
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:20 am      Reply with quote
I'm wondering if anyone has tried Georgyanna Nail Ink ( http://www.georgyannaink.com/) to whiten their nail tips? It's supposed to be a bleaching product that's applied under the nail tip to give a French manicure look to buffed nails.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
My mother used to rub lemon juice into her hands and nails, and I started doing it when I hit my 30's and think theres natural acids or something in it, but it always turns my nails a beautiful white and healthy sheen colour, and the skin on the back of my hands used to have some liver spots but they have faded amazingly. They are not gone yet, they are still there but they are no where near as dark as they were initially.
Miss Tina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
The same thing happens to me and it is gross and disgusting. I get embarrassed if I don't catch it and people think that I have dirty hands!

My little trick to try to battle the dirty nails (mechanic) look. Sephora has a nice nail whitener. It is like a eye pencil that is white. Not only do you use this under your nails to give it that french nails look. The lid has a little shovel thing that cleans out from under your nails! I love it and keep it in my purse for constant touch ups throughout the day!

5% products discount

Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:28 am      Reply with quote
Sally Beauty sells a little tube "Whitening Nail Paste" for $3.59. It comes in a box with a brush to use on your nails. I use that in conjunction with a white nail pencil to correct C-serum yellowness and middle-age transparency. Toothpaste might work just as well, but I haven't tried it.

Sally sells Bubble White, too, but I didn't love it. As I recall, you dissolve the BW in water and soak your nails in it. I don't remember its being anything spectacular. Mostly I remember wondering how I could soak my toes in such a small amount of liquid (1/4 cup I think).

YMMV, but the nail pencils work best if my nails are warm and the pencil is damp.

Myrna
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
I found Nail Whitening Treatment from Opal London pretty good. It's a pack of 6 tablets which you dissolve in a cup of water and soak your fingertips in it for 10-15mins.

My nails looked great - natural, healthy and clean!

Interested to check out KH too though.
Justine1900
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes using a buffer file on the outside and a metal file to thoroughly clean the inside is enough. You really have to scrape the inner part to make sure it's clean.

Apart from that, I have found tooth-bleaching gel to be very effective.

5% products discount

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
That Georgyanna Nail Ink looks interesting. Expensive - but interesting. Thanks for the post tessera, I hadn't heard of that product before.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:04 am      Reply with quote
orionomega wrote:
That Georgyanna Nail Ink looks interesting. Expensive - but interesting. Thanks for the post tessera, I hadn't heard of that product before.

I ordered Georgyanna Nail Ink a few weeks ago when I saw tessera's post. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. It's like a "paint" in a little jar with a tiny brush. It's a bit awkward to paint underneath your nails with the brush, but the result looks good. However, the paint wears off very quickly. I think you are better off using a white nail pencil. It's much cheaper and more convenient.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I ordered Georgyanna Nail Ink a few weeks ago when I saw tessera's post. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. It's like a "paint" in a little jar with a tiny brush. It's a bit awkward to paint underneath your nails with the brush, but the result looks good. However, the paint wears off very quickly. I think you are better off using a white nail pencil. It's much cheaper and more convenient.

Well phooey, it sounded so good! Sad I keep my nails fairly short and I wondered how difficult it would be to paint the underside of the nail. I thought the liquid might cover the nail more readily and quickly than the pencils do. When you say it wears off quickly, do you mean the same day? Is it something I could do every morning that would at least last until bedtime? I love the look of regular polish, but I hate the drying time, so I was hoping this would give a groomed, clean look without a huge time investment.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |