Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Increase hair thickness/volume, minimise grey?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:34 am      Reply with quote
I came across some info reading an old magazine yesterday, regarding shampoos containing Zinc Pyrithione (eg, dandruff shampoos like Head & Shoulders) possibly increasing hair thickness. The recommendation came from Frederic Brandt, yeah, that Dr Brandt.

Now I had never heard of this before and normally wouldn’t have paid much attention ... however, it caught my eye as the past month or two I have been for the first time ever using a 1% ZP dandruff shampoo and had thought my hair was looking better but wondered if it was just my imagination? (I don’t have dandruff, bought the ZP shampoo for another skin-related purpose, then thought I may as well be thrifty for once in my life and finish it up on my hair) Frankly, I thought this stuff would wreck my hair, as I usually use shampoos with more gentle surfactants, no SLS, etc.

Anyways, I did a very quick google, and there seems to be some conflicting info on ZP increasing hair thickness. In my limited google travels, I also came across some info indicating that Nizoral shampoo (containing ketoconazole) could be even better for increasing hair thickness/volume.

Also came across some info that suggests that superoxide dismutase may be effective in preventing/limiting grey hair growth.

I’ve not seen any mention of these on EDS and would love to know if anyone here has tried any of the above, and their results?

I should add that I have hideous, fine, thin, frizzy beyond belief hair, starting to grey at an alarming rate the past year or two, so I need help! Over the years I’ve tried possibly every miracle scalp serum, shampoo, treatment product on the market, regardless of cost, plus some DIY stuff, and had kind of given up, resigned myself to the fact that I just have crap hair. Please, someone tell me that zinc pyrithione, ketoconazole or superoxide dismutase works!
fitmama
5% products discount

Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm... keep trying it... see what it does...

I started going grey at 16...

I've seen over at skinactives a product for helping the hair... check it out...

Skinbio too!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:12 am      Reply with quote
appletini - Your hair sounds very like mine. Please could you post an update if you find it's working for you? If so, I might well give it a try myself.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 am      Reply with quote
This is interesting and worth investigating further. I wonder if there is a way to independently add zinc and those other ingredients to a favorite shampoo. That would clearly show if there are any positive results because then you could be sure of what is making a difference.

P.S., Appletini, your description of your hair cracked me up. I hope you have found your miracle product.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
BioSil actually increases the diameter of the hair strands due to the Choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid ("ch-OSA") which is silicon. It also has benefits for skin and nails.

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=2209277218871994691&at=0

Quote:
The cross sectional area increased significantly after 9 months compared to baseline in ch-OSA supplemented subjects but not in the placebo group. ... Oral intake of ch-OSA had a positive effect on tensile strength including elasticity and break load and resulted in thicker hair.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=19865570

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:20 am      Reply with quote
I’ve been swamped with work and haven’t had time to research the ZP thing further. Will do it at some point in future, although lazy me was kind of hoping someone here at EDS would know already.

Have been using the ZP shampoo since beginning of September I think, so at least 6/7 weeks now. My hair does seem a bit better. It’s cut in a chin length bob at the moment, and the ends don’t seem to fly out/stick out as much as they usually do without me constantly smoothing them down. Maybe it’s my imagination, but as I mentioned I did notice this before I read about the possible positive effects of ZP shampoos. Also, when I run my hands through it near the scalp it "seems" to feel a little thicker/stronger. Haven’t changed anything else in my hair routine, although possibly the humidity level may be a little lower now than a month ago, which always helps. Hmmm ...

Am going to keep using the cheap supermarket dandruff shampoo and see what happens. It’s not like my hair can get any worse

I had also been thinking of trying to do what Jeannine suggested, adding ZP (and maybe superoxide dismutase) to one of my usual shampoos, but I don’t trust myself to get the percentages right. Now if I could just find a shampoo with 1-2% ZP, gentle surfactants and a pH of 5.5 or less .. any suggestions?

Bethany - I clicked on your links but they didn’t really go anywhere. Sounds interesting though, I’ll look into it later. It’s a supplement, right?

Oh, and majorb, I really hope you don’t have hair like mine Laughing
pellie
5% products discount

Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:44 am      Reply with quote
I have some problems with frizzing and no volume and I was surprised to use the Tigi "extra straightener" comes in a shiny metal can and is like a mousse, but it makes my hair nice and full and lasts!
bondgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
It is also good for eczema. Some products on the following link:
http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.asp?aid=160191%26productid=191%26src=ppc%26ecamp=tleadererk
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:37 am      Reply with quote
My daughter swears by Head & Shoulders - she was turned onto it by a friend so apparently there is some sort of buzz going on about anti-dandruff shampoos.

I also have hideously fine hair but I'm doing the "conditioner only" washing. I've been at it for about six months now and have to say that my hair is more manageable and doesn't seem to get as greasy.

As far as the grey hair goes - I would just try a supermarket product for covering grey hair. This will probably thicken up your hair a bit as well.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I've been using the Head & Shoulders shampoo pretty much exclusively since my earlier posting, so about 9 to 10 months now. Also started the Head & Shoulders conditioner some 4 to 5 months ago.

Hard to tell, as my hair is so vile, but I think it's looking better (although it's safe to say I won't be giving up my hair iron any time soon). Just got back from 8 days travelling, and this time didn't bother to pack my H & S shampoo, just used the shampoo/conditioner in the hotel rooms. It's maybe not a good comparison as the hotel shampoos were probably some cheap junk, one step removed from dishwashing detergent, but I did definitely notice a difference when I got back home and used my Head and Shoulders - more volume and not as lank as after the hotel shampoos. Also, the humidity level at home is higher than when I was travelling, and normally higher humidity will make my hair worse, but it still looked better after going back to the H & S. I think I'll stick with the H & S a bit longer, although I'm very tempted by those new Valmont hair products.
Holmes
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Appletini,
You could try taking S.O.D.5000 supplements, which might help to slow down the increase in grey.
1 or 2 a day. Then give it time.
This stuff also helps with the skin under the eyes.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Joico has a new line with a serum that is supposed to prevent/reverse grey hair.

"Re:nueal," I believe that is the name of the serum. It is a new age-defying line of product. If you google it lots of info comes up, hths. Very Happy
minze
5% products discount

Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
I've been reading "The Little Book of Detox Tips for People on the Go" by Michael Van Straten, and he says to cover gray with sage.

(pg 242)
"Avoid horrible commercial dyes, yet cover your gray by using sage. Add 4 tablespoons chopped leaves to a pitcher of boiling water, cover, and leave for at least half an hour before straining. Use a brush or sponge to apply the liquid to the gray roots. Don't wash out."

I think it's suppose to eventually restore your hair to its natural color.
Amy Lu
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
I know some shampoo is good for thickness hair and can control the volume.but no solution for grey hair...ALTERNA and BIOTIN shampoo is a good choice
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:00 am      Reply with quote
lipglossdoll wrote:
Joico has a new line with a serum that is supposed to prevent/reverse grey hair.

"Re:nueal," I believe that is the name of the serum. It is a new age-defying line of product. If you google it lots of info comes up, hths. Very Happy

Been there, done that one Laughing

I tried the Joico Re:nu serum when it first hit the market. Maybe it does work, but I defy any woman with a life (apart from her hair) to actually do the recommended application. When I received it and looked at the instructions, my first thought was "This must be a joke". Apparently you are supposed to section your hair into 13 perfectly straight equidistant lines/parts and apply the serum drop by drop along these lines. This must be done on dry hair....TWICE a day, EVERY day!!

Oh, and then there's the completely useless applicator, long dropper in a tall skinny bottle, which drips more product off the outside than comes from the inside of the dropper, wasting half the product. Well, that is if you're lucky enough to even get the dropper out of the bottle without knocking it over, as it's not easy to manipulate the bottle/dropper with one hand while the other vainly tries to keep at least one of the 13 equidistant parts in place. And if I recall right, you are supposed to apply it to the scalp only, avoiding the hair. God!!! That stuff nearly drove me mad.

However, I did persevere twice a day through one bottle, supposed to last a month, but lasted only around three weeks for me. I then foolishly got the 4 month supply pack, and transferred the product into my own small squeeze top plastic bottle. It did make application easier, but by this point i was so annoyed with it I gave up after a couple more weeks. Still have it sitting in the cupboard.

I meant to do a review of it at the time. I guess this rant will suffice Laughing
vikki_cooler
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:20 am      Reply with quote
My experience is some essential oils really help with hair volume.

To name a few, I recommend Clary Sage, Ylang Ylang, Geranium....
Dannaadd
5% products discount

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
appletini, I think your hair feels or looks thicker due to the bob hair you have. Usually shorter hair makes it feel better and thicker. I cut my hair whenever I feel it's too thin..so..
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Holmes wrote:
Appletini,
You could try taking S.O.D.5000 supplements, which might help to slow down the increase in grey.
1 or 2 a day. Then give it time.
This stuff also helps with the skin under the eyes.

What's S.O.D. 5000 ?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Yes! to the Nizoral shampoo! Whatever it is, it DOES leave the hair wonderfully full and manageable!! The strange orange color put me off it since I lightened my hair to very light blonde, but it sure is a good shampoo for body!!
Thx for the reminder!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Dannaadd wrote:
appletini, I think your hair feels or looks thicker due to the bob hair you have. Usually shorter hair makes it feel better and thicker. I cut my hair whenever I feel it's too thin..so..

Actually for me, having a bob is already long hair, as I usually wear it much shorter. At the moment my hair is probably the longest it’s been since I was a schoolkid … well, if you don’t count hair extensions and wigs Laughing

When I get around to ordering some, will try adding the SOD to my (DIY) scalp serum, see if it helps with the grey. Or maybe supplements as Holmes suggested?? Or both topical and supplements???

Good to hear fawnie’s feedback on the Nizoral, as I have some of that stashed away in the cupboard... but I agree the colour is frightening.
Holmes
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:32 am      Reply with quote
'Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) is an enzyme that repairs cells and reduces the damage done to them by superoxide, the most common free radical in the body'
For more information, go towww.Vitaminstuff.com
carmina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I hear that some product of LUSH is working for voluminizing hairs. Its name seems to be "Big", the ingredients include sea salt and orange blossom oils...
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Holmes wrote:
'Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) is an enzyme that repairs cells and reduces the damage done to them by superoxide, the most common free radical in the body'
For more information, go towww.Vitaminstuff.com

Holmes, have you tried using SOD, either supplements or topically, for grey hair?

Would really like to hear from anyone who's had positive results from SOD on grey hair ... Oh, how I long for those days when hair colouring was for fun, rather than to cover up those damn grey roots!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:42 am      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:

Holmes, have you tried using SOD, either supplements or topically, for grey hair?

Would really like to hear from anyone who's had positive results from SOD on grey hair ... Oh, how I long for those days when hair colouring was for fun, rather than to cover up those damn grey roots!

I'm definitely with you on this! If any company came up with something to renew your hair colour, they'd make an absolute fortune. Those grey roots drive me crazy.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:59 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
appletini wrote:

I'm definitely with you on this! If any company came up with something to renew your hair colour, they'd make an absolute fortune. Those grey roots drive me crazy.

I'm sure someone is actually working on something that will revert your hair to it's original colour. I just can't remember what they're going to call it. I'll have to have a look see if I can find it.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |