Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

NEED NEW SKINCARE REGIMEN - PLEASE HELP!?!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

A little background: I'm almost 31, have super oily (and I mean really, really oily) skin that is congested with clogged pores around my chin and on my cheeks, blackheads everywhere on my nose and some showing up on my forehead, cheeks, and chin. I also get pimples sometimes, usually hormonal. My skin also tends to dry out really easily and feels tight/flaky if I use harsh cleansers.

I was on Obagi for about 2 years, which helped dramatically in evening out my skin tone and fading dark spots (age spots and acne marks). I've been weaning myself off these products for the past few months. I'm still using Tretinoin 0.1% nightly and one of the Obagi hydroquinone products every other night to maintain results of even skin tone.

I'm now looking for a new skincare regimen to address my numerous concerns. While I like the idea of using products from a single product line, I've given up hope of finding a single line to address all concerns. I just want to find products that work and are good for my skin.

So I would love suggestions for the following products:

Cleanser - something gentle, yet deep-cleansing. I was thinking of IS Clinical cleanser with glycolic to address blackheads and oiliness? I've also heard great things about Karin Herzog Professional Cleansing Cream.

Toner - again, something gentle but will work to remove excess oils and product residues without drying. Help tightening pores would be nice too!

Vitamin C Serums - I'm thinking of trying IS Clinical Super Serum in the a.m. and Active Serum in the p.m.

Day Moisturizer - Something that provides moisture, protects from environmental aggressors, won't clog my pores, is a good make-up base, and has sunscreen. Karin Herzog has a day protection cream...anyone tried this?

Firming Cream for P.M. - an anti-aging night treatment that actually firms. And won't clog my pores...

Wow...this is a really tall order. I'm not even sure if such products exist! Laughing

I'd love any suggestions for any products that might be helpful!

TIA!!!
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Oh yeah, suggestions for exfoliants and treatment masques (firming, pore-cleansing, moisturizing, etc) would be much appreciated to!!!

Thank you, thank you!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
Jeanni, you are using Tretinoin 0.1% nightly and still having excessive oil, blackheads, and breakouts? That is the top dermatologist recommendation for dealing with those problems, so it sounds like you might be a tough case.

Have you considered Finacea? Some people have had very good results with oil production, acne, and pigmentation issues.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30513&highlight=finacea

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the post, Bethany! Yes, I've been using Tretinoin 0.1% for about 2 years now. I had bumped use down to every other night, but I recently broke out pretty bad. So I think I'm going back to nightly. I've also tried twice daily, but I think that dried me out. When I get dry, my skin flakes and I'm hesitant to use Tretinoin til it goes away. Sooooo, yeah...I think my skin's pretty difficult Crying or Very sad

I haven't heard of Finacea...I will take a look! Thanks again!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
You could check out the ZO Skin Health line of products (Obagi's new line). I have been using them and love everything I have used from them. The exfoliating cleanser is gentle, and cleans well. You could also try their exfoliating polish, which is very gentle. I think the exfoliating cleanser and the exfoliating polish would work well for oily skin and blackheads. For the night time anti-aging product, they have the Growth Factor Serum, which I personally love.

You can try their jumpstart kit (cleanser, growth factor serum, radical night repair, and the sunscreen), which would let you sample a few of the products and see if you liked the line. They will last about 6-8 weeks depending on how much/often you use them.

I use Skinceuticals C, E, Ferulic, but Skinceuticals also has the new Phloretin for oily skin. Skinceuticals has great topical C products!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:32 am      Reply with quote
jeanni wrote:
Thanks for the post, Bethany! Yes, I've been using Tretinoin 0.1% for about 2 years now. I had bumped use down to every other night, but I recently broke out pretty bad. So I think I'm going back to nightly. I've also tried twice daily, but I think that dried me out. When I get dry, my skin flakes and I'm hesitant to use Tretinoin til it goes away. Sooooo, yeah...I think my skin's pretty difficult Crying or Very sad

Well Jeanni, I think your skin is difficult because you use too many drying products. Try the Elizabeth Grant serums from shopnbc. They are fantastic for what your skin is going thru right now. No more flakies for you! Just nice, radiant, dewy, hydrated skin!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:00 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
You could check out the ZO Skin Health line of products (Obagi's new line). I have been using them and love everything I have used from them. The exfoliating cleanser is gentle, and cleans well. You could also try their exfoliating polish, which is very gentle. I think the exfoliating cleanser and the exfoliating polish would work well for oily skin and blackheads. For the night time anti-aging product, they have the Growth Factor Serum, which I personally love.

You can try their jumpstart kit (cleanser, growth factor serum, radical night repair, and the sunscreen), which would let you sample a few of the products and see if you liked the line. They will last about 6-8 weeks depending on how much/often you use them.

I second the ZO Skin Health recommendation...I love their products! My only thought is that they are not recommended for controlling acne on their own.

Dr. Obagi is visting many Nordstrom stores, and it would be great if he could look at your skin after being on Obagi for so long and give you a recommendation.

Maybe you could post on the ZO thread and ask 1) if Dr. O is going to be a store near you, or 2) if Donna or Justin from ZO could check with him on your behalf and get you some professional guidance.

Here is the ZO thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30374&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
jeanni wrote:

Well Jeanni, I think your skin is difficult because you use too many drying products. Try the Elizabeth Grant serums from shopnbc. They are fantastic for what your skin is going thru right now. No more flakies for you! Just nice, radiant, dewy, hydrated skin!

SusieQ, I agree...that's why I'd like to get off of Obagi. However, when I stop using drying products, I end up breaking out even more. Brick wall

So I'd really like to find a gentle and effective line. I think I will do some research on the Elizabeth Grant products. Thanks!
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

I second the ZO Skin Health recommendation...I love their products! My only thought is that they are not recommended for controlling acne on their own.

Dr. Obagi is visting many Nordstrom stores, and it would be great if he could look at your skin after being on Obagi for so long and give you a recommendation.

Maybe you could post on the ZO thread and ask 1) if Dr. O is going to be a store near you, or 2) if Donna or Justin from ZO could check with him on your behalf and get you some professional guidance.

Here is the ZO thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30374&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Thanks Bethany and rileygirl! I will do some research on ZO as well. I live in Portland, Oregon...any one know if Dr. O will be in my 'hood? Wink
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |