Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does MSM give you headaches.........
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
I have been taking 1000mg MSM - Source Naturals - and I usually never suffer from headaches, but have noticed recently have had the most horrible headaches. So much so that I have had to take painkillers which is something I avoid if I can. Wonder if anyone else got this side effect, or if it is MSM related? thanks.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
It's a known side effect of MSM. Apparently, it may be related to the amount of toxins you have in your body. The more toxins you have, the more headaches and other side effects. So it is due to some "detoxification" by the MSM. You would have to do a more gradual induction to the MSM if you have such side effects. If you are taking the powder, you can easily half the dose to reduce the side effects. If you are taking the capsules, you might have to open up the capsule and pour out half the powder (not sure exactly how to do it as I use the powder). Or maybe take it alternate days. The headaches are supposed to get better after you have eliminated toxins from your body. That is what I have read. I myself did not suffer headaches and I was able to increase the dose easily.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
How long have you been taking MSM? Maybe your body is still getting used to it? I started taking MSM about 3 months ago. I started with 1000mg, then within 2 weeks I was up to 5000mg a day. At first I had no problems but then started to get really bad headaches and GI issues so I am now back to 1000mg a day with no problems. If I even try to up that to 2000mg the headaches come back. I am going to give it abit longer and try again.
strawberry1
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I never got headaches while I was taking it. I took the capsules 1000mg three times a day.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
I googled and found this short reply to a question about MSM and arthritis.

Quote:
Few studies have examined the long-term effects of the dietary supplement called methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). One study suggested that it's safe to take MSM for up to 12 weeks. But further research is needed to assess its safety for long-term use.

There's no conclusive evidence that MSM is effective in reducing arthritis pain. Two small studies have suggested that MSM may reduce joint pain in people with osteoarthritis. Side effects of MSM may include stomach upset, diarrhea and headache.

Although there is great interest in using MSM to treat a variety of conditions, including arthritis, more research is needed to determine its potential benefits and risks.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I re-read advice on taking MSM and drinking lots of water can help to reduce the side effects. You also need to take it with vitamin C. For 1000mg of MSM, you would need 500mg of vit. C, preferably Ester-C or C-ester (retinyl palmitate, also available from Source Naturals in tablet form - this is a fat-soluble form of vitamin C).
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |