Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Study suggests: - Skin cream can make skin drier
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:37 am      Reply with quote
my husband also has combination skin like me but he do nothing on his face....he skin is wonderful with acne over the t zone unusually...even there is acne, he just leave it and it heal very soon....sometimes i think maybe i have used too much on my face and break its resistance....once i got acne, i need long long time for recovery and my skin is also become very sensitive....
twdollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:13 am      Reply with quote
I have 2 friends who didn't put anything on their faces except soap and water and body cream. (lol) their skin was fabulous.

But ever since they started using real skin care (ie. face wash, toner, moisturizer) they've been complaining about blemishes etc...

should those people with "perfect" skin just go back to using nothing? is the cream damaging their faces?

Can anyone possibly make a list of "good" ingredients and "Bad" ingredients and "neutral" ingredients? so we can have a list to refer to when shopping for new products???

thank you! Very Happy Very Happy

and thanks for all the information!
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
twdollie wrote:
Can anyone possibly make a list of "good" ingredients and "Bad" ingredients and "neutral" ingredients? so we can have a list to refer to when shopping for new products???

thank you! Very Happy Very Happy

and thanks for all the information!

here u go. I've found just these so far:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=29971

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=30936
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thought I would post this link on Dr. Obagi's thoughts on moisturizers that I came across.

http://www.bellasugar.com/2914573
meyaowan

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing. Shock
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
It's really hard for us to choose our skin cream, but anyway, we still have to use them, since we do not have any other choice, isn't it?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
flyflyonly wrote:
It's really hard for us to choose our skin cream, but anyway, we still have to use them, since we do not have any other choice, isn't it?

Of course we have other choices, we can not use them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
flyflyonly wrote:

Of course we have other choices, we can not use them.

Nimue, you are absolutely correct, lol. I personally choose to not use a moisturizer if at all possible!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:13 am      Reply with quote
So what about oils - where do they fit in with all of this?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:07 am      Reply with quote
I am not sure where oils would fit in. I really think the bottom line with all of this is not to use a product every single day, day in and day out. There is nothing wrong with using a moisturizer occasionally when you skin is dry. The "problem" seems to come from overuse.
lacy

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I tried to only use jojoba oil, and feel very good

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:14 am      Reply with quote
Should I only use cleanser and sun cream?
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:45 am      Reply with quote
sahmisme wrote:
Emu oil did that? I was going to try that for my son's eczema. I'm at my wits end with his eczema. If this is true then lotion and certain oils would supposedly make his already very dry skin even dryer? I really can't take that chance to stop moisturizing him. I'm ready to try Crisco on the poor kid! Laughing

Believe it or not, but Crisco has done WONDERS for my eczema! A few years ago when I was living in the US, I used to itch so badly, I still have scars that look like knife wounds all over my body to show for all the times I'd scratch til I bled in my sleep! Anyways, after I tried everything including topical steroids, I resorted to using Crisco. At first I found the Crisco oil was still not moisturizing enough Rolling Eyes but the shortening was too hard to spread, so what I ended up doing was mixing 3 parts shortening (softened) to 2 parts oil in the blender and then pour it back into old body lotion containers. Once a day after showering at night I'd lube up with this stuff and wear long cotton PJs and socks to bed. In the mornings before work, I'd do another rubdown with plain Crisco oil. I stayed with this routine for about 18 months (2 winters and 1 summer), and after that I was able to scale down to normal Crisco oil for another year, and now on most days I can survive with J&J Baby Oil with Acquaphor on top during winter, and olive oil with Vanicream on top for the summers. Occasionally I still have to break out the ol' topical steroids, but those days are now few and far between. Hope this helps with your son!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Emma_N wrote:
Should I only use cleanser and sun cream?

Well, you can if you want! But, depending on your skincare goals, you can use actives like Retin A, or a topical C, peptides, etc, etc.
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
I went for my second Titan treatment today. This time I had it on my full face and neck. Last time it was just lower face and neck.

There will be pictures available pretty soon of before and after the first treatment in the next couple of days.

Today was a three-part deal. I had the Titan, then Genesis, followed by Limelight. She suggested that the next time I should get only Titan and Limelight. Titan burns and Limelight snaps powerfully.

The middle one that I don't need was delightful - like a very warm, far reaching LightStim treatment. (Wouldn't you know - the one that feels good doesn't have any benefits for me.)

After three treatments I should have visible plumping, tightening and refining. This isn't going to take any time off my face. It will make my skin look healthy and toned.

The total cost will be more than my S-lift (lower facelift) and neck lipo two and half years ago. I'm still digesting the money issue.
ximing
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing. I think it may be true because my mom never ever used cream until she was fifty-five. She is sixty now and only using ROC. I started using different creams from my twenty years old. Apart from the wrinkles, her skin is even better than me. She always tries to stop me to have facial treatment cos one of her friends working in SPA told her as long as women start doing facial, they can't stop...

So, even if the scientific research reveals that creams can make skin drier, we can't stop because we have started and we are all addictive...
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use moisturizers on my face except for physical sunscreen in the morning and eye cream at night. I think oil is ok, I use oil at night.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I started using emu oil regularly, and quickly found that my skin felt dry when I was not using it. I went back to not using anything, and the dryness went away too. So no oils for me either.

The only ones I will use are products specifically designed to repair the skin barrier, like Nia24, SkinActives ELS, etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with the theory that applying too much moisturiser stops the skin from naturally producing its own moisture. I've never been a huge fan of thick creams - I think they clog my pores, so I switched to oils about two years ago and haven't had a problem since. However, my main aim in applying the oils (such as Argon, Rosehip, Tamanu) is for their anti-oxident properties not particularly for their moisturising properties. So where does that leave me?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu, my own thought is that the oils fall in a different category just due to the fact that they have other properties working (one like you mentioned antioxidant) instead of just being a moisturizing cream. That said, I think it would be a good thing to be switching oils and not using the same one all the time. That is just my take on all of it!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Beth - You like ELS from Skinactives? I've looked at tath product as well as a few others time and again. And never took the jump.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Beth - You like ELS from Skinactives? I've looked at tath product as well as a few others time and again. And never took the jump.

Yep...it is one of the only ones I have found that meets the requirements for repairing the skin barrier, especially after any kind of acid treatment. You need a lipid mixture of free fatty acid, cholesterol, and ceramides. And ELS has it.

http://www.skinactives.com/product/detail.aspx?prodID=39

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:27 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

Yep...it is one of the only ones I have found that meets the requirements for repairing the skin barrier, especially after any kind of acid treatment. You need a lipid mixture of free fatty acid, cholesterol, and ceramides. And ELS has it.

http://www.skinactives.com/product/detail.aspx?prodID=39

Thanks!
When you say acid treatment - are you referring to something like a glycolic acid treatment, etc or more like retin-a? Geez I hope this isn't too off topic.

I don't use moisturizers but I do on occasion need something to get my balance back.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:41 am      Reply with quote
This is interesting--I never used moisturizers at all till the last few years. A combo of chemo and radiation stressed my skin seriously some years back (especially the radiation!) and I used a moisturizer for the first time to soothe it. It seemed to help a great deal, but now I mainly use moisturizer before and after long haul airplane flights or when I've been too aggressive in exfoliating.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:00 am      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
This is interesting--I never used moisturizers at all till the last few years. A combo of chemo and radiation stressed my skin seriously some years back (especially the radiation!) and I used a moisturizer for the first time to soothe it. It seemed to help a great deal, but now I mainly use moisturizer before and after long haul airplane flights or when I've been too aggressive in exfoliating.

Well, according to Obagi at least, you have done exactly the right thing with moisturizer, flitcraft! I have never used a moisturizer, and often wondered if that is why I did not have all the issues that other people have when I was on Nu Derm. Definitely could have just been a coincidence (or that my skin is just product resistant), but it makes you wonder!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |