Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Are Parabens bad for your skin??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tiffanyw16
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:10 am      Reply with quote
Since joining these forums, I've started reading labels & ingredients...

Are parabens bad for your skin & what do they do to the skin if they are??? I noticed some "natural" MMUs contain them but I don't think they are too natural??? Should I avoid them?
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:40 am      Reply with quote
I don’t think it’s bad for skin. I have seen almost product contained paraben. Unless you allergic to it, it’s ok to use.
lunathefinal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Are parabens conservatives? Rolling Eyes
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:01 am      Reply with quote
lunathefinal wrote:
Are parabens conservatives? Rolling Eyes

yes, they are preservatives. They are put into cosmetics to prevent it from degrading. Here is what Wikipedia says on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraben

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:51 am      Reply with quote
I say yes because they prevent mold and if you have ever had mold in you several products it is not fun.
chinee
5% products discount

Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:12 am      Reply with quote
There have been one report suggesting that parabens may be related to breast cancer because they were found in the breast tissues of some women suffering from breast cancers.
Additionally, some experts say that parabens have similar structures to female hormones and are easily absorbed into body through skin. However, the true relationship between parabens and breast cancer is not yet confirmed. So parabens remain allowed in skin care products. Too much waning is often viewed as an exaggeration or a false rumor.

In addition, despite the fact that there are maximum limit for parabens used in skin care products, some experts still warn of the total amount of parabens we absorb by using various products (including food)in a long term. Actually, there are many products that seem to contain excessive preservatives.

Natural brands provide another reason for avoding parabens: Parabens kill certain micro-beings (I forget their real names) on the skin that may help normal skin operation. About this, I forget what experts say.

Whether to use products containing parabens hence depends on you. I know some people who don't want to take risk and avoid them as possible as they can. However, they are widely used and generally considered acceptable by experts. Whatever attitude you select, I think it is better to avoid at least some types of products that may contain higher concentration of parabens.
lunathefinal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Chinee, thanks for the info. We definitely should be more careful about parabens especially when we might take them from various sources at the same time. Embarassed
bondgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Parabens can be harmful if used long term. Ideally, face creams should have a short self life. But in our world of rushing around we tend to forget the natures best ingredients. Our predecessors used only natural ingredients in their skincare and they did not last long.
Kat ~<3
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have recently began using paraben free and sulfate free shampoo and soaps and have noticed my acne clearing up. Especially the small breakouts I might occasionally get on shoulders. It's worth a shot if you have acne like myself.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Parabens are not bad for the skin and actually are one of the very best types of preservatives used in personal care products.

The "study" that reportedly showed a link between parabens and breast cancer was later determined to be a flawed study. As a matter of fact, the Dr. who did the study actually came back and stated the work was flawed and no real link could be found.

It is much better to have a well preserved personal care system, be it cream, lotion, rinse off or leave on product. The consequences of being underpreserved is potential physical harm from molds, micro-organisms and other things that you don't want to have to deal with....especially on your skin!

Virtually every cosmetic chemist I know, and every seminar, trade show, and exhibition I've been to all believe in parabens as a safe and effective preservative system.

John

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I knew this would happen someday, and I happy to help kill the "internet rumor" that parabens are in any way harmful to humans...

New data on parabens suggests no adverse hormonal effect on the body

It appears that a recent study done in Sweden once again proves that parabens are totally safe for use as preservatives in cosmetic products. This has been my stance all along that parabens are safe for use as preservatives. The study, which can be found through the link below, shows that the parabens cannot pass through the skin barrier. In addition, parabens given to rats internally actually metabolize to another compound which has no adverse reaction or side effects inside of the body. The study hopes to put an end to all the misinformation that is running wild on the internet and by word of mouth.

Link: http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.com/Formulation-Science/New-data-on-parabens-suggests-no-adverse-hormonal-effect-on-the-body/?c=AZRKmMghFonWcPhZOKtIdw%3D%3D&utm_source=newsletter_daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter%2BDaily

Hope this helps,

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. I'm so confused on sulfates and parabens and chemicals in my skincare and haircare and cosmetics if it really is bad, am I wasting money and energy by trying to go natural AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH oh the products I've tried in the mean time though.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
they can cause skin irritation for individuals with sensitive/allergic skin. Also, parabens are toxic and research has shown that they stay in the fatty tissue of the body. If you google research on breast cancer, there has been a correlation to hight amounts of chemicals in the body that act like estrogen hormones, these are zenoestrogens (sp). This info is common knowledge out there.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Just to add a point. I have tried a massive array of skin care products, no expense spared, and the truth of the matter is that the BEST products out there are actually the organic products. If you can read and understand ingredients used in cosmetics (chemical & natural), and if you know what they cost the manufacturer it is quite obvious that natural is best. In addition, the effects of putting chemicals on ones skin, verses organic products is pretty obvious. Natural products are better assimilated by the skin, and in most cases, if not all cases people who use organic skin care actually have nicer skin after a few decades of use (I have seen this first hand in numerous cases - this does not include all the cosmetic procedures people to get their skin looking younger)
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
It's only MHO, but with most things in life, when we use something in *moderation* it's usually safe...

Although I agree with John (kind of), I still feel it's not so cut and dry (safe versus dangerous)...

I'd opt on the side of safety, and just say the more products that someone uses daily (which contain parabens), the more risk they are at for the cumulative problems (if any).. My choice is to limit or avoid them whenever possible.

The fact is that 'parabens' are showing up in urine and breast tumors, so it's obviously being absorbed systemically. So doesn't it make sense that the more you use, the more will be absorbed? Regardless, I think more research is surely warranted.

All I know is I thank God I found this forum, because my thoughts prior were; "It must be safe, or how can stores sell it".... Wow, did I have a ton of shittay to learn.. Embarassed And I've only just begun.. Shock

The other thing I learned here is the true meaning of; "ignorance is bliss".... Very Happy It was so much less confusing when my regime was just; Noxema + Pond's cold cream... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
The other thing I learned here is the true meaning of; "ignorance is bliss".... Very Happy It was so much less confusing when my regime was just; Noxema + Pond's cold cream... Very Happy

This is hilarious, and unfortunately so true! It was much more simple when I did not have a clue about ingredients!
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
I have actually used products that had parabens, and other chemicals, all the while knowing how bad they are. I guess, if you coat your body daily in chemicals, there will be repercussions. Although, the truth of the matter is there is actually far more chemicals in our foods that we eat several times a day than any skin care product we put on our body. Watch the movie Food Inc, or The Future of Food
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Those films and others like them have changed the way I eat forever. I will not eat chicken unless I know where it comes from and how it was raised. Likewise beef. and no soybeans grown in the US. I get the total guilts and even at times grossed out if I'm in a position to eat anything processed or fast foodish. It just doesn't work for me.

I respect John and his chemist background. (love chemistry myself) and I'm sure the use of parabens is necessary and in a relative way - harmless - to preserve a product for 'safe' use. Ultimately however,, I agree with Kassy regarding the use or choice to limit the use of parabens. Less is best.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Sister and Kassy,

I agree with you.

I also wanted to mention that Dr. Marshall is against any parabens in the skin care, and he is a Biochemist (PhD), and he has his own products for skin and is inspected by FDA frequently. I know that he is using a preservative, but it is not parabens.

Sister - how and where do yo buy chickens? I do not eat red meat since 1983, so beef is not an issue for me, but chicken and fish are.

I also wanted to confirm, that Dr. Marshall is also against any American grown soybeans (genetically engineered), and if people are into tofu there are a couple of companies that he recommends. If anyone is interested I can look it up and PM.

Thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:36 am      Reply with quote
A comment on the "necessary" use of paraben's for preserving skin care products. I have extensive knowledge of both chemical ingredients, and natural ingredients. Moreover, the only reason companies use parabens is to preserve their products for a such a long period of time that most companies do not have to put an expiry date on the product. The next time you are in a spa or purchase on of these products, check it out to see if there is an expiry date. Like all things in this world, there are varying degrees of access to information or discourses that circulate in society. Most people really haven't a clue, or a very limited perspective of the large, much more realistic picture.

There are NUMEROUS product lines that do not use ANY chemicals in their products. However, they also have an expiry date of 2 years maximum. Personally, the whole idea of hegemony, based on limited knowledge is futile in all ways. Google all the really high quality organic products in existence, most from Europe, and you will see zero parabens. I have been extensively involved in product sourcing for well over a decade...
SandyT
5% products discount

Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Feliz...would it be appropriate to ask you for a list of some of the natural product lines you like? You can PM if need be. My sensitive skin and age just can not handle preservatives any longer. I have been using "Hugo Naturals" but it seems to be too drying for my skin. And with Winter here, I really need some new ideas.
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:10 am      Reply with quote
I've been using various all natural products for over a year now but haven't found anything that helps my skin or that I stick with (everything from Arcona, Nude Skincare, Intelligent Nutrients, Garden of Wisdom, etc). Plus over the past year, my skin is showing more signs of aging. So now I am leaning towards using products with parabens in them again but feeling uncertain but if I do I will try to try stuff that has less parabens than most I guess.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:31 am      Reply with quote
SandyT wrote:
Feliz...would it be appropriate to ask you for a list of some of the natural product lines you like? You can PM if need be. My sensitive skin and age just can not handle preservatives any longer. I have been using "Hugo Naturals" but it seems to be too drying for my skin. And with Winter here, I really need some new ideas.

Me too please
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
If you look on Essential Day Spa's selection under Organic they have a few product lines that are quite nice. The most pure lines in my opinion are Dr.Hauschka (but not everyone seems to like their products), and Jurlique (I often come back to this product line - they have started using a chemical preservative in a few products)
If you look on the web sitewww.saffronrouge.com they only cary product lines that are 100% organic and no chemicals. Two German line that are really pure are both Primavera, or Santaverde. If you really don't heavy uses of essential oils, and have really sensitive skin, try the Santaverde. Another really amazing line that they carry is Dr.Alkaitis - innovative, organic and amazing. I loved this lines few products.
The last line that I really love, and is super high quality is ISUN. There is only one place in Canada to find their products, but more in the U.S. This product line is really small, hand made, with the highest quality ingredients. The founder is a bit of a celebrity in terms of designing product lines. I know her and she is always open to giving product advice. I think ISUN overall is my favourite product line out of everything I have thus far mentioned.
There are MANY other product lines that are 100% organic, without chemicals, but either they are not available in Canada, or are just okay. Tautrophen comes to mind, although before Marie Borlind purchased this line, it was quite pure, now I would have to say they market the line well, but its not as pure as Dr.Hauschka.
In addition many highly innovative companies have changed over time as they have grown, and started incorporating fragrance, etc. One such line is Lakshmi - an Italian Ayurvedic ski care line that was lovely ten years ago. Others such as Eminence Organics is all the rave, but I can swear that they use fragrance, and the products are just okay.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Whitewolf - the best anti-aging line is ISUN - the company used THE MOST INNOVATIVE natural, and highly effective ingredients out of any line I have ever found. ISUN uses Ormus Gold, and a form of vitamin C that are highly stable. I used the Ultra Restore oil around my eyes, and the difference in my crows feet was noticeable. Similar to you, I prefer organic products, but due to a few years of crazy skin conditions (from internal issues), I used pretty much the entire range of IS Clinical (they use one chemical preservative), but my skin was not dramatically transformed in terms of age lines. While i used the products it appeared better, but once i stopped I noticed my skin was much worse off. I then decided to stop using all products with chemicals, as they are not in my personal belief system. Anyways, there are many things you can also do internally that make a tremendous difference. I will list a few things that are easy to incorporate into ones life. Evening primrose oil (3000mg daily), fish oil (make sure its molecular distilled), good multi-vitamin (food based products are better), and high quality water (find a good filtration system that mineralizes the water). Of course, if you can buy food from a local farmers market, or health food store that helps. I am a huge advocate of organic, and self sustainability - farmers markets and they exist in most cities in the North America.

Hope this helps
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |