Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vit C serum.. .why doesn't it work for me???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
indianT
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I read the wonderfull artical on Vitamin C posted earlier by JudyMarshall.
So here is my question,

Why does it make my skin react. Sad Crying or Very sad I have used the one from Viver to CellexC and both had made me breakout. I also used the one for Sensitive Skin type by CellexC also. The con. in Viver was 10%. Is it too strong for my skin.
After reading this artical, I am back again on the search of my serum. I have oily sensitive skin. Any rec. would be great.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
React how? When you first start using C, it will sting a bit but then your skin adjusts and you might just get a warming feeling and then even that can go away. Were you using other products that were harsh at the same time? I have found that though using a glycolic acid cleanser or scrub before C will up penetration, it does sting when I use it this way. Can you stand silicones? Skinmedica's is silicone-encapsulated. I use the C+ Firming serum that is in a butylene glycol base. I have combo skin and like it alot but others here have thought it was too much for oily skin to handle. Have you thought about making your own at home? The makeupalley board is always talking about homemade C....you could control the ingredients that way...There are other powerful antioxidants out there as well. A while back Mabsy was writing about pomegranate...
moshimoshi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
indianT,

we're in the same boat Sad

my skin also react to products with high concentration of vit C - breaking out and sometimes even rashes?!?! Shock It's interested that I have better outcome with the Cream form than the Liquidy/Serum form of Vit C products... The only two creams that I've tried and am not reactive with are La Roche-Posay Active C - Corrective Dermatological Care For Wrinkles and Lancome Vitabolic Oil-Free Deep Radiance Booster. Maybe the Vit C in these creams are fomulated differently than the Cellex-C and others??!! Confused

i remember reading a post in the forum (Mabsy??) stated that you'd need to start with low concentration with Vit C product to first test your skin's reactivity and also for your skin to get used to before you go on to the higher concentration?? Well, as for me, because my skin is just too sensitive that I pretty much stay away from Vit C serum... Neutral
indianT
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah my skin reacted the same way and I can't even use any glyolic products also. I would get redness with little red bumbs, irritated skin, and my skin would look dull too. I don't know why but that's what happens.

So maybe I should try the cream version, which i have never used.

moshimoshi,
Is the Lancome Vitabolic Oil-Free Deep Radiance Booster highly fragranced? May react to my sensitive skin. Which do you use?
Mabsy

Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
I think some people do find that their skin does not react well to Vit C. I have not heard many reports like that but I have heard a few people mention it. From memory Farouk is also one of the people who was getting breakouts from it. It is true that you should start with a lower concentration of the vit C however I think you'd find that if the concentration was too high you'd just be getting a lot of stinging, not breakouts (well in my opinion anyway).

I would probably try another good antioxidant in place of the Vit C serum. Pomegranate is supposed to be a very powerful antioxidant (Murad have products with them in it) though I have not yet found an actual Pomegranate Serum yet. Another good antioxidant is Rooibos and you can get a pure Rooibos serum from the Diana Yvonne site. They sell 5ml samples of it as well.
moshimoshi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
indianT,

i'd used both and like them both... Smile unfortunately i don't have the container boxes with me anymore, so i can't tell you whether Lacome's has fragrance or not.... but i get no irritation, redness, or rashes from either...

for lancome, you can always go to the department store counter and test use it... as for La roche-posay, u would need to go to a derm who carries the line for it in the states i think... my mom got it oversea for me at a licensed pharmacy store, so i didn't have to go to a derm... plus it's cheaper Wink

i sorta prefer la roche-posay's... it's very light weight and feel "thinner"... but that's just my preference... in any case, they do contain different ingredients though... so be sure to test it first before purchasing it!!
sats
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
indianT,I hope you will find a solution and I am glad I read this.I am a newbie here and nice to meet you.woah!Looks like vit c serum is not so straighfwd as I thought so!I have a normal-dry skin.Is it possible that I might have such reactions too?HAs anybody else with a normal-dry skin had any adverse reactions?I have so many qs about the method of usage ..like when,howoften should I apply and product line since I have zilch knowledge about these..is it ok to ask them here or is it better if i start a new post?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |