Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Moroccan Oil - hype or worth it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
olliegrisby

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Moroccan Oil is supposed to harness the amazing benefits of Argan Oil.
So why are the second and third ingredients Dimethicone & Cyclomethicone (silicone oils) while Argan Oil is the SIXTH. I hate to be a spoiled sport but all this hype about Moroccan Oil being an effective natural product is Bull-poop.

Ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Butylphenyl, MethylPropional, Argania Spinoza Kernal Oil (Aragan Oil), Linseed (Linum Usitatissimum) Extract, Fragrance Supplement, D&C Yellow-11, D&C Red-17, Coumarin, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone.
Silicone oil is a standard ingredient for hair smoothing, frizz fighting, shine enhancing products. It's also the main ingredient in many drugstore hair smoothing formulas (FrizzEase)...so why the hefty price ($40) for Moroccan Oil? And while it lists Argan Oil as an ingredient, it is less than 2% of the overall ingredients -- only slightly more than the fragrance and artificial colorings.

The real issue here is how much benefit are you getting from a product that is actually a cosmetic fix. I agree, it will make the hair "appear" smoother and frizz-free, but it also prevents nutrients and moisture from entering the hair shaft and scalp because it's been coated with synthetic oils. The silicone builds up and becomes increasingly harder to remove with just standard shampooing. This buildup eventually repels needed moisture and nutrients (from your conditioner), clogs the pores in the scalp, eventually strangles the hair follicle and makes it fall out...NEVER to grow back again.

People rave about organic argan oil because it's the "real thing", but this company irks me because they are exploiting people's trust.
By the way, the reason no bunnies had to die for their product is because they only used ingredients that had been PREVIUOSLY TESTED...the bunnies already died at some other company's expense. Not an unusual practice and it's employed by many "socially conscious" company's so they can make the blessed "no animal testing" claim. Sorry, but this kind of deceptive marketing is shady, misleading and bugs the daylights out of me ( translation: pisses me off BIG time!).

Want the benefits of Argan Oil? Then use REAL Argan Oil and enjoy the actual benefits. There are a number of highly reputable internet resources for organic, cosmetic grade Argan Oil at GREAT prices...do some research!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
olliegrisby wrote:

People rave about organic argan oil because it's the "real thing", but this company irks me because they are exploiting people's trust.
By the way, the reason no bunnies had to die for their product is because they only used ingredients that had been PREVIUOSLY TESTED...the bunnies already died at some other company's expense. Not an unusual practice and it's employed by many "socially conscious" company's so they can make the blessed "no animal testing" claim. Sorry, but this kind of deceptive marketing is shady, misleading and bugs the daylights out of me ( translation: pisses me off BIG time!).

I'm totally against animal research. But the question is: Did they commission those ingredients to be tested by others? Other did they use ingredients that were tested by others? The former is clearly culpable, but the latter may not be. Just curious, because it wasn't clear to me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
I can buy FOOD GRADE Argan oil for less than the cosmetic one- so maybe I should just buy the one you put on your food since it is supposed to be good?

Right now I am using Curls brand oil- it is a mix of plant oils and is good- decent price.

I also like Jojoba or coconut oil in my hair- but only the fractionated coconut oil that stays liquid and has no wax.
Pluto
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:49 am      Reply with quote
I'm still enjoying my Moroccan oil. I am on my third big bottle. My hair seems to just drink it up. I'm not worried about it clogging up my follicles, since I only use Moroccan oil on the lower half of my hair length.

I have sampled other argan oils, but I find only Moroccan oil seems to melt into my hair. I use it after washing.

My other leave-in conditioner is Phyto9. I use this on my hair when it's already dry (as opposed to wet from washing; not as in the texture).

When I used Phyto 9 alone, it would be a very expensive proposition! My hair never seemed quenched. Using Moroccan and Phyto 9 in judicious amounts seems to have done the trick for me.

I have long, virgin-blonde hair that is fine.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
I had never heard of Moroccan Oil and have never been much into products...I use Suave shampoo and see no reason to upgrade to the expensive stuff. But during my last hair cut, the stylist used a little Moroccan Oil in my (super fine, curly, and frizzy) hair and it was amazing! It smells AWESOME and made my hair the softest, shiniest, and smoothest it has ever been without leaving it oily at all. I am now on a quest to get some of this stuff as my hair actually looked healthy instead of dry and damaged.
Pluto
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Well, that's why you upgrade -- to get nicer hair. Try products from the health food store: shampoo without the sodium laurel sulfate. Put more time between shampoos (meaning days; you can use dry shampoo)and that frizz is going to go away. Cool

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:46 am      Reply with quote
I just tried a little bit in. Wet hair after shampoo, made my hair smoother and bouncier. My hair has been terribly damaged from blonde highlights. As long as you don't put the oil on the scalp, should be fine. Don't want to clog the pores on scalp. I'm also trying Dr. Hauschka neem hair oil for a half hour before shampoo. That goes on the scalp.
Pluto
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:25 am      Reply with quote
IMHO neem oil needs to go on your scalp and hair (especially the scalp) at bed time, and you would wash your hair the following morning. You would need to use the neem every night before a morning hairwash for it to be doing the job neem is meant to do, which is purify your scalp.

If you have fragile hair that just won't grow or breaks easily or is very frizzy this neem oil method is what can help.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Pluto, I will definitely try the neem overnight. Do you put a towel over the pillowcase?
Pluto
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
nyamij,

Since towels are a little rough I use an old pillow case and I wrap my head in a batik (it's rayon). I guess you can also use one of those microfibre turbans.

What happens when using the neem is that it helps you get rid of microscopic bugs that might be living in your hair follicles. These things chew on your hair and that's what makes it so weak and fragile.

I figured this out and my hair's been growing and staying nice. Of course, the old growth is going to be weak, but the new growth, after you use the neem, or other products, will get better and better.

I also use tea tree oil on my scalp at night. I have one from Now Foods (amazon or iherb). I bought a giant bottle and I put some of the oil into a little dropper bottle. This makes it easy to use. Some people might find this strong, so you might test a bit on your inner arm. In my case it doesn't bother me one bit. If it's too strong, combine with your neem. That will "water" it down.

Taking biotin caps also helps. 5 mg. Just get the cheapest brand. If it's going to work you will notice in a month or so.

How neem works: it gets the microscopic bugs high so they forget the reproduce. How tea tree oil works: it kills the adults. But you have to keep using one or the other or both alternately to kill off the whole population.

Anyway, that's what I meant by delicately saying neem purifies your scalp.

If that's not enough, there's a good, but expensive, product out by WEN that combines tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil with other oils that you apply at night. It works really well. It's one of those products that I'll buy again. After all having nice hair is priceless!

Best,

Pluto

5% products discount

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
interesting!!!!! if EDS sells this product i will be so grateful coz i really wannna try it!
ALSTAIR

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:46 am      Reply with quote
the natural property of Argan oil to protect skin, hair and nails are extraordinary indeed. When used regularly, it can heal damaged tissues and partially healed ones like scars. It can add a layer onto skin to protect it from the harmful rays of the sun as well as a disinfectant layer that will keep pollution, toxins and microorganisms out.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 am      Reply with quote
For members who want to buy pure Argan oil. Make sure that you check the ingredient list. Pure Argan oil has only 1 main ingredient list on the bottle. Do your research before buying to ensure you get the pure Argan oil... Good luck! Smile
MandyKelly

Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone! Moroccan Argan oil works really well to repair damaged hair. I use the brand Pro Naturals, it leaves my hair super shiny and smells amazing. Smile Laughing
Lin1313
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:43 am      Reply with quote
I'm also a fan of 100% argan oil, make sure it is 100%. Mine comes as part of my Pro Naturals Hair Repair System. After washing my hair I put a couple of drops on my palm and apply to ends and work up but I don't rub it into my scalp. By doing this and then drying the hair it has helped fortify my hair and stopped all the breakages & split ends.
Judy Chen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
With so many hype with Moroccan oil, I've been thinking of buying this for hair. It's good that I can read all these postings here before I go.
Cheryl_C

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:39 am      Reply with quote
I used jojoba oil on my hair before and it's pretty good. My hair turned to be more healthy and smooth looking but I got lazy and stopped it. Maybe will try argan oil since there's so many good reviews.
emmaclark07

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:51 am      Reply with quote
You can purchase pure argan oil from amazon or other local shops near your location. Argan oil is use for many purposes like Argan oil for Acne, hair loss, face, damage hair, anti-aging or much more. Argan oil rich with essential Fatty Acids, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, and Anti-Oxidants which are beneficial for hair and skin.
Lin1313
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Emma2006 wrote:
I used pure argan oil as a leave-in and it is amazing. I haven't had such a good hair day for years. I have fine hair, prone to frizz and it certainly didn't weigh it down.
I am very happy.
:D

As I do. My hair is coarse, straight & white/grey - been using Pro Naturals Moroccan argan oil as my leave in treatment after every shampoo mainly to the ends & up the hair shaft prior to blow drying & heat styling. As my hair is short I use between 2 & 3 drops. It keeps my hair in great condition and so shiny with no split ends or flyaways been using it since 2014.
Lin1313
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:22 am      Reply with quote
sark wrote:
Any update on the Morrocanoil ingredients?

sark I Googled and got this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Moroccan+oil+shampoo+ingredients&rlz=1C1AOHY_enGB708GB708&oq=Mo

You might want to do more searches
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
I put fractionated coconut oil or emu oil in my hair. Lovely and silky the next morning when I wash it, otherwise it feels like a dry horsetail lol.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |