Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Moroccan Oil - hype or worth it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
I did NOT want to like this product. It's too expensive. It's made up of more silicones than anything else. I don't like buying into the hype... OTOH, I'm not afraid to admit when I've been wrong... maybe this product has been the victim of too much hype, but I absolutely love this.

I found a bottle of this at Nordstrom's Rack for $29.99.... not for much less than you can pick it up at Planet Beauty, but brought it home. I really do like this --- have thick, curly hair... I think it's 2 or 3B curls... product after shower is a must. I use only a dime size amount and it distributes through damp hair very well. Also tried the heavy cream conditioner from this line as well, as a leave in.

I don't buy the 'no cone' mantra and don't mind silicones in my hair... think it contributes to smoothing the cuticle, a must for girls with curly hair.

Overall, I really like this product, but the $$ is why I was hoping I wouldn't... Laughing think I like Moroccan Oil even better than the jojoba oil I've always used! I'd love to find straight argan oil to see how that compares to this product.

P.S. Noticed that my hair air dries more quickly when I use this as well. Smells nice, too!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried their version yet but if in US Sally's beauty supply is carrying a version of this, not as pricey! I plan to check it out and see how it compares, also if the ingredient list is the same. If it works on my thick color treated hair in hot humid climate, I'll be sold.
Will keep all posted when I get a chance to run over and grab some.

DM

5% products discount

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have not got to try the oil yet in this line. I have however used the intense curl cream. I have 3B-C, coarse, dry, frizzy hair. The curls are tight enough to hug a lead pencil is about the best estimate I can give when it dries naturally. This has been wonderful complared to probably hundreds of products I have tried from dimestore to expensive salon brands. It calms the frizz & flyaways & gives the curls some texture & bounce. Using about 1 1/2 pumps a day, a bottle will last me about 4 months I think.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm still using it, even though it's a hassle to buy because it's not sold locally. I also don't mind the expense too much because I find a bottle lasts me about 6 months.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Sexi,
Sorry if I am being thick here, which brand have you used the cream from? The Moroccan Oil brand or did you use Sally's? Curious!

TIA
DM

5% products discount

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Sorry I can't quote I guess, it keeps kicking the post back as having a link or bad word in it. Had to wait until this morning, would not let me post last night, said I had reached my 5/day limit for a newbie, even though I only posted 4 times........ who knows, anyway.....

Mine is Moroccan Oil Brand. I get mine at Wholesale Beauty Supply locally, (but will go online next time for cheaper). I stated I had not used the oil, my label says, "Intense Curl Cream for Curly Hair", (They do have a different formula for sleek straight hair also). I do quite a bit of shopping at Sally's also & have not found anything they carry that compares to Moroccan Oil brand. If you want Moroccan Oil, you need to stick with their brand I believe.

Sephora has some "Living Proof" brand things that are wonderful for us curlies, but....... 24 bucks for 4oz, don't fit my budget when as thick & long as my hair is, and using it every day.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Sexi,
Thanks, I just joined in August so remember the 5 post a day and no link deal all to well! There is a thread about it and it makes sense as some were at one time just posting oneliers all over adding things like "I like it"
and "it's good" so the limit is there for a good reason.
I get the frizzies in constant humidity where I live my hair is just slightly wavy. I'll have to find what is best for me!
I don't know about The Sally's brand, I just received an email last week about it as I am on their mailing list. Very Happy So I figured I might check it out, sometimes they sell try me sizes. I would print out the ingredient list for the real deal and compare first.
Thanks again!
And Welcome to the forum.
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 am      Reply with quote
I just got a sample of the Morroccan oil and really like it. I was nervous b/c I've heard "silicones" are bad for the hair but my hair felt really light and bouncy the next day. I will probably purchase a full size bottle.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
oranges,
Curious where did you get a sample?

BTW the Sally's brand is at Sally online for now, I guess they are checking the market first.

TIA Oranges
HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
It was a big sample box of goodies

http://virtualstore.allure.com/beauty_box_spa.php

the moroccan oil is 1.7 oz but I think will last awhile.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
oranges,
Thanks for the link and your quick reply! You are a doll!
I love sample goodies to play in!
Bad Grin
Appreciate it!
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
It says it takes 4 to 6 weeks to ship but mine came in about a week. It is well worth the small fee, the samples are very generous. I really wanted to try the moroccan oil, the pevonia scrub and bliss cream so I thought it was well worth it.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Where do I get this oil in Canada?

I've tried local suppliers, they don't have it...

I have seen the actual brand at my hairdressers and places such as Trade Secret. Cosmo Prof (a distributor) in Ontario has it.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
BTW the Sally's brand is at Sally online for now, I guess they are checking the market first.

[/quote]

I am in Ontario, Canada and Sally's has a sample size (5ml) of Argan hair oil for $1.99 in the store. I got it and like it. Not sure how it compares to the Morracan Oil.

It is shown online and in the flyer.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a link they sell online and have 3 locations in Canada.

http://www.beautycollection.com/Brands/moroccan-oil?gclid=CJCcpq3zzJ0CFcgn2godrEN9sA

another mentions it here:

Modern Miracle via Lipstick Powder N Paint May 12th, 2009 at 12:00
Every woman should have MOROCCANOIL Oil Treatment for all hair types in their beauty arsenal. It softens coarse hair, fills in porous hair, restores shine to damaged locks, helps calm frizz and protects against heat damage – now that’s is what we call a multi-tasker! Argan oil is the powerful ingredient that will take your hair from dry and brittle to shiny, smooth and soft. Apply a small amount to towel dried hair and style as usual. It absorbs quickly and won’t leave you greasy or weigh you down.. We’re amazed how one little bottle can cure our hair troubles! MOROCCANOILwww.moroccanoil.com Available at Exit Salon in Toronto and select salons across Canada and the U.S....
In MOROCCANOIL, hair care, Styling Products
Hair Tutorial via Lipstick Powder N Paint April 3rd, 2009 at 12:00

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
The oil is great, but I love the mask, shampoo and conditioner. They all smell heavenly and make your hair easy to comb through and very soft. I definitely prefer the Moroccanoil as opposed to something like the John Frieda serum.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Sexi wrote:

Mine is Moroccan Oil Brand. I get mine at Wholesale Beauty Supply locally, (but will go online next time for cheaper). I stated I had not used the oil, my label says, "Intense Curl Cream for Curly Hair", (They do have a different formula for sleek straight hair also). I do quite a bit of shopping at Sally's also & have not found anything they carry that compares to Moroccan Oil brand. If you want Moroccan Oil, you need to stick with their brand I believe.

Sephora has some "Living Proof" brand things that are wonderful for us curlies, but....... 24 bucks for 4oz, don't fit my budget when as thick & long as my hair is, and using it every day.

I should have specified... yes, it's the Moroccan Oil brand I've tried. I'd still like to try pure argan oil but this should last me awhile. I would LOVE to try their gold glimmer shine.

Now, Living Proof no more frizz? The stuff designed by figurative rocket scientists? That WAS a lot of hype, at least for me. I obtained a generous sample at Sephora and tried it for a few days. It was ok... but the amount you have to use and the price? No way.

Forgot to mention how SHINY my hair is if I use a little more Moroccan oil (quarter size instead of a dime). Doesn't look greasy, just above and beyond shiny, well defined curls. It's a keeper!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
oranges wrote:
I just got a sample of the Morroccan oil and really like it. I was nervous b/c I've heard "silicones" are bad for the hair but my hair felt really light and bouncy the next day. I will probably purchase a full size bottle.
Hi Oranges, I've heard the same thing as well --- allegedly because the 'cones prevent hair from "breathing" but given our hair is dead matter why does it need to breath?

Of course, this "dead matter" matters to many of us, how many days have been ruined by bad hair? For me, silicones make hair soft manageable and shiny. Every other week I'll complete a deep cleansing shampoo to remove build up.

If you don't like silicones, there's a great organic conditioner that doesn't contain any cones and leaves hair unbelievable soft as well... Soy Balancing conditioner by Peter Lamas... it's the bomb and vitacost.com carries it at a better price than you'll find at your local health food store.

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
athena123,
It is quite true any hair beyond the skin/scalp is dead, the only livind part is in the follicle. I think the best bet with the silicons is use it on that dead hair! I would try to avoid getting it on the scalp as much as possible!

DM

5% products discount

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="athena123]
I should have specified... yes, it's the Moroccan Oil brand I've tried. I'd still like to try pure argan oil but this should last me awhile. I would LOVE to try their gold glimmer shine.

Now, Living Proof no more frizz? The stuff designed by figurative rocket scientists? That WAS a lot of hype, at least for me. I obtained a generous sample at Sephora and tried it for a few days. It was ok... but the amount you have to use and the price? No way.

Forgot to mention how SHINY my hair is if I use a little more Moroccan oil (quarter size instead of a dime). Doesn't look greasy, just above and beyond shiny, well defined curls. It's a keeper![/quote]

You said the magic word about Living proof products....... Hype because of high price. 4 ounces of a anti frizz curl cream for 24 bucks isn't in my budget, the shampoo & conditioner are 24 bucks for 8 ounces. I havn't bought an 8 ounce bottle of conditioner in years as it would be gone in within a week. I for one am going to try the Sally's Argan Oil when I can get there to get some hopefully this weekend. I am so excited I might have found a cheaper version that still works.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
I am glad to hear Sally's has it in the stores as well, I want to give it a try.
Thanks for the post letting us know it is in the stores!
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using the MO for a while... It's nice. I certainly wouldn't rub any of this kind of stuff onto my scalp... that's not where I need the conditioning...plus that would be cause for some seriously FLAT hair. That said, it does not seem to irritate my skin where the hair might touch.

The only product that was a major trauma for me was Frizz Eaze about a million years ago... That worked magic on my hair... and havoc on my skin where it touched...

Thanks everyone for listing other brands... I might try one of those... not exactly married to MO... (oh, and I've tried the shampoo, conditioner and masks... ok, nothing I feel I MUST have..) If you like the smell (I do...) they are nice!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:40 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
athena123,
It is quite true any hair beyond the skin/scalp is dead, the only livind part is in the follicle. I think the best bet with the silicons is use it on that dead hair! I would try to avoid getting it on the scalp as much as possible!

DM

Very interesting! I will try to avoid my scalp also, but I don't think I have ever applied it there. I've tried the Gold Glimmer and there is nothing special about it if you have thick hair. It's a light spray oil with no shimmer to it.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:39 am      Reply with quote
I am really tempted to get samples of both and compare the two! I want to see if there is a big difference in the Sally's brand and the "real" one!
The only products I put all the way to the scalp are deep conditioning products or DIY oil combos that have to be shampooed out anyway, conditioning your scalp is good for it, just like any other part of the skin! But silicons no! Very Happy

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
I use it and my hair is so soft and smooth after I blow dry. My hair doesn't even frizz up when it is humid when I use the morrocan oil. I just can't say enough about it.

Marisa
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |