Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Dry and Cracked Hands
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:55 am      Reply with quote
My hands are very bad now. Not only have they gotten very dry, but they are starting to crack and get little cuts in them. The problem with hand creams is that as nice as they feel, they don't stay on because as soon as I wash my hands again I wash the cream right off, unlike what I put on my face or the rest of my body. I do wash my hands frequently and now with this weather it is just much worse. I just want to know what works the best. What is the limit on how much you can wash your hands without destroying them and drying them out completely?
Kat ~<3
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:08 am      Reply with quote
Aquaphor Ointment or A+D Ointment. They are both thick like Vaseline but have more beneficial ingredients smell better too. They will resist water when you wash your hands and you will see because the water will bead up when you first start washing your hands. Also I would suggest a very moisturizing hand soap to combat the issue. Can't really say though for how many time's to wash your hands a day... sorry. Hope I could be of some help. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:33 am      Reply with quote
Try pure shea butter, It's the best for me.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:53 am      Reply with quote
I used to have exactly the same problem. This is what I now use, and it seems to keep the condition under control:-

1) Never wash your hands with anything containing SLS. You can find very reasonably priced liquid soaps without SLS in health food shops, eg JASON.

2) Just before you go to bed on a night, rub in a liberal quantity of a good, rich handcream. I swear by Kiehls Intensive Treatment for Calloused and Dry Areas. Then wear cotton gloves over you hands whilst you sleep.

3) Absolutely ALWAYS wear rubber gloves whilst using any household cleaning product (laundry, dishwashing, dusting, general cleaning) - do not allow the product to come into contact with your hands.

It might also be a good idea to try to wear warm gloves whilst outdoors whenever possible.

I know just how sore and uncomfortable your hands can get, especially during winter, and hope that this information might help
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:18 am      Reply with quote
I always get dry and cracked hands in the winter. So what I found works for me is Avene handcream with coldcream - I apply it generously at night. Cotton gloves over it will be very beneficial.
And yes, never go outdoors without warm gloves.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:02 am      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
My hands are very bad now. Not only have they gotten very dry, but they are starting to crack and get little cuts in them. The problem with hand creams is that as nice as they feel, they don't stay on because as soon as I wash my hands again I wash the cream right off, unlike what I put on my face or the rest of my body. I do wash my hands frequently and now with this weather it is just much worse. I just want to know what works the best. What is the limit on how much you can wash your hands without destroying them and drying them out completely?
I second the shea butter too! When you wash your hands just remember to keep applying hand lotion otherwise your hands will suffer the consequences.

Shea butter is very good. The unrefined is best. Just go to Nassabs; they have the best shea butter on line IMO. Read the whole site. Its just so newsy and you get such great tips to keep skin and hair looking moist and dewy. Who would of thought that such an inexpensive product like pure shea butter could give you so much. Good luck Byrg.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:16 am      Reply with quote
There are good reviews of Gloves in a Bottle:
http://www.amazon.com/Gloves-In-A-Bottle-8oz/dp/B000UBN5S8

I think it would be a good day time compliment to night time lotion with cotton gloves

http://www.glovesinabottle.com/
Gloves In A Bottle is a shielding lotion that rapidly absorbs into, and bonds with, the outer layer of skin creating a protective layer while retaining the natural moisture from within. This makes it the perfect dry skin care product.

It does not wash off, but comes off naturally with exfoliated skin cells. Just reapply every four hours for continued protection.

It's greaseless, non-sticky, fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, completely safe and non-toxic.
Greenhillgirl32
5% products discount

Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Treat it from the inside out...if you're not already take a good multi and Omega 3's...not the ones with Omega 6&9, our diet has enough of them. I have very, very dry itchy skin too and I've resorted to making my own handsoap, makes a huge difference when I wash my hands with my own stuff then go to work and wash my hands with their soap. It's all very drying but my naturopath advised to take about 6000mg of Omega 3's daily, 4tbsp of olive oil, drink lots of water with lemon and take your vits. Applying hand lotion only does so much. Your skin is not recycling the good oils in your body so it's best to treat internally. I am like you, I wash my hands often so I don't usually bother with hand cream. Gotta love winter right around the corner too...Agghhh! Good luck.
lunathefinal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I used to have very dry hands, and now I try to apply hand cream every time after washing my hands, and I do notice great improvement. Laughing
skinangel

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I am 35 years old and ever since I was a teenager, I have found nothing better than Avon's Moisture Therapy Intensive Hand Cream. I use it on my hands and heels. It keeps cracks from forming, and it stays on through hand washings. It has Orange Roughy oil in it, which is very healing. I'm an aesthetician, so I am constantly having to wash my hands in heavy antibacterial soap throughout the day at work. This could wreck havoc on my skin and cause major cracking if I did not use the Moisture Therapy at night when I sleep. I highly recommend it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have a very dry skin and I use Palmer's Cocao butter ( the one that is in the jar) and on the top of it I put Aveeno moisturizer. In 5 minutes it is completely absorbs by my skin. I even made my own mixture of the both products so I can take it in my purse.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
try jurlique rose hand cream
carolsun1220

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Yiying wrote:

Is it rich?
WinnieHo
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
carolsun1220 wrote:
Yiying wrote:

Is it rich?

No,it won't be rich at all.It can be absorbed immediately. Very Happy
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:59 am      Reply with quote
Why dont you use Dove or a soap with moisturizer in it, I know they have some at Bath and Body works. Or maybe use plain old Cetaphil to wash your hands! It might help with the vicious cycle of dryness. I dont know if you wash dishes with your hands but Id wear gloves. Then a really thick hand cream, not lotion, might help. You could ask your pharmacist for a recommendation maybe.
cora-lu
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
I would try not washing them so frequently (if possible), and also protecting them as much as i could (gloves). And - a gentler hand soap, and good moisturiser after each wash. Also - if in general your skin is dry, as someone above suggested, an omega-3 supplement can help (i take fax seed oil). Also zinc is good for skin repair.
Nelly4
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
I think you should try Yu-Be which EDS sells. i received a sample with my last order and tried it as a lip balm and its fantastic. It also says that it can be used on the hands and feet for really dry skin. It has camphor in it so its also very cooling as well. I highly recommend it and the price is fantastic.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried the Gold Bond healing lotion? That stuff really works. It is thick looking when you squeeze it out, but it sinks in fast, and really well and leaves no stickiness at all. It works great.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
i read this somewhere like when washing dishes and stuff you can wear vaseline on the hands then put on gloves and wash the dishes.......the warm water on the gloves will cause a nice massaging action and it will really mositurize the hands from the vaseline. Your hands will be really soft and moisturized when you take the gloves off and not wet either Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
I have no idea about how to wash hands without destroying the hand cream. The best way I know is using the hand cream immediately after washing your hands.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
I recommend cetaphil moisturizer. It's quite cheap and effective. You can use it whenever you like.
leileieve
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:14 am      Reply with quote
I think you should do the hand mask once a week, maybe hand wax is better if you can. Your hands need special treatments too.
sofiya
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
did you try jurlique rose hand cream?
midamida

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
I have a speical way to protect the hand ,wash it then cover thick cream ,not care hand cream or face cream ,then wear a thick glove ,surly pure cotton one , you can buy such kind of glove in super market,then keep one night ,the hand will become very soft .
Alien
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Good old fashioned Bag Balm
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |