Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Ageless if you Dare - Loulou's Facial Exercises
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:17 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
...LouLou had said in an earlier post to me to either do forehead exercises very little, or do them a lot and expect to look worse in the short term...I am going with a lot, and trying to knock the lines out of the park. But if they don't go by March, I am heading back for Botox!

LouLou can you please clarify forehead exercises approach with pros and cons of each. I developed a couple of fine lines on a forehead that I think are a result of doing forehead exercises, I did not have them before starting the exercises. I feel that my frontalis and occipitalis are well developed I can wiggle my ears very well (which I could not do as a child!!!) Laughing feel muscles contracting so nicely, and got these two hateful lines!!! Sad So I have mixed feelings about forehead exercises..... I do not have such problems with any other parts of the face, no wrinkles or fine lines whatsoever.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:22 am      Reply with quote
otherloulou wrote:
Sorry to go AWOL, first I was really busy with family stuff, then I couldn't find the thread on the skin care board and thought everyone had forgotten about it Laughing

They moved the darn thread to the Skincare Tools forum, even though here are 2 other facial exercise threads and a cupping thread (another tool) on the Skincare and Makeup forum. But who needs consistency... Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
brenpatsa wrote:
Keliu wrote:
I'm trying extremely hard to have faith in doing facial exercises - but I find it completely unbelievable that you would have any increased fullness in the cheeks after doing an exercise three times!

Actually, it's not so unbelievable at all. Think how a bicep muscles swells and becomes firm immediately after you work it and for a period of time after. With continued exercise, it stays that way as the muscle fibers tear and rebuild.

I have found the very same thing to be true with this program and I haven't done it all that long either. I can feel my upper cheek muscles are firmer to the touch and they definitely have that sore muscle ache. I don't know that it is visible to others yet (would doubt that) but that's not what the OP said she noticed anyway.

According to my info, it takes over one month for a man to start building muscle, longer for a woman - and this is also dependent on metabolism.

I seem to be the only one having trouble with this.

I think you are misunderstanding...no one who has noticed increased firmness after just a few times has claimed that they have built muscle in that brief time...we have said that we have noticed an increase in the firmness of our cheek muscles when we touch our faces.

You haven't noticed that your bicep firms up after you exercise it, like in my example above??? Confused

Regardless, sorry that it isn't working for you and hope that the other methods are successful for you!
Edited: I just read on and saw LouLou's responses about overuse causing the tired look. Hopefully, that's your answer. Wouldn't it be nice for you to be able to do less and see/feel more?!!! Smile
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Bethany, those comparison pics are fantastic! Thanks so much for posting them, you've inspired me to get the book and start exercising! My lines are much worse than yours (I'm older Wink) but even if I only get a slight improvement, its better than nothing. Rolling has helped soften my lines somewhat, but I really need to "lift" that area entirely. I'll take B & A pics, so that when I'm ready for prime time, I'll post them Very Happy
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Bethany - I cannot get over your B and A photos. Your chin looks entirely different to me in terms of definition and youthfulness. Wow!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Anya and Bren, I was really wondering if I was seeing things, so thanks for the confirmation!

And isn't it funny what we see about ourselves vs. what other people see? I never even looked at my chin until Kassy pointed it out.

I am amazed at what I have learned from EDS...my skin has been completely transformed from where it was a year ago. Between using the right actives, dermarolling, and facial exercise, I finally feel like I am not only holding off aging, but am actually reversing it. Woo hoo!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I am amazed at what I have learned from EDS...my skin has been completely transformed from where it was a year ago.

I finally feel like I am not only holding off aging, but am actually reversing it. Woo hoo!!

You took the words right out of my *younger looking turned up* mouth .. Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
mpstat wrote:
bethany wrote:
...LouLou had said in an earlier post to me to either do forehead exercises very little, or do them a lot and expect to look worse in the short term...I am going with a lot, and trying to knock the lines out of the park. But if they don't go by March, I am heading back for Botox!

LouLou can you please clarify forehead exercises approach with pros and cons of each. I developed a couple of fine lines on a forehead that I think are a result of doing forehead exercises, I did not have them before starting the exercises. I feel that my frontalis and occipitalis are well developed I can wiggle my ears very well (which I could not do as a child!!!) Laughing feel muscles contracting so nicely, and got these two hateful lines!!! Sad So I have mixed feelings about forehead exercises..... I do not have such problems with any other parts of the face, no wrinkles or fine lines whatsoever.

Hi mpstat Smile

I really don't know myself what is the best approach for the forehead, except that I don't do anything at all for the corrugators (frown muscles).

If you make an expression, your muscle will retain a little of this shape after you stop making it! Botox will relax and flatten the muscle, but exercising it will eventually make it flat and smooth, although in the process of doing this you'll find the bunching is increased because you're making the muscle more inclined to contract during everyday life. It's like if you strengthen your calves, you'll use them more in movements like walking uphill instead of using the glutes or hamstrings. There's no point in strengthening the corrugators IMHO, because they make a miserable expression and because a lot of the bunching you see is actually the frontalis muscle being buckled by the action of the corrugators, which are small and in themselves have minimal impact on the appearance of the face.

The frontalis, which is the large muscle that raises the eyebrows, does benefit from exercise, but again exercising it will encourage you to use it more in general, which will leave residual lines until the muscle is in really good condition.

There are three little muscles that govern the movement of ears, and if you can move them you'll be able to pull your scalp back without using the frontalis or causing any wrinkling.

I realise that I haven't really clarified anything here, but I can only give you my honest opinion which is that I don't know either! I do know that people who have exercised their foreheads intensively have eventually got a smooth unwrinkled brow out of it, but I only exercise my brow to maintain tone, because I have to teach people and can't afford the downtime. From doing this I do have a smooth forehead without botox, but if I raise my brows a lot for one reason or another I have horizontal lines. But I don't have vertical ones any more because the corrugators are very much weaker than the rest of my facial muscles. Sorry I don't have a more specific/definitive answer Confused

(((hugs))

LL xx

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
LouLou, i just went to your site and read your preview of your book...and imo it is so exquisite...it is hard to find words for how deeply what you have said resonates with me..

and it answers why ..on a very deep level..I have been inwardly guided not to do cosmetic surgery (I am not saying that this is what you are saying..just that your truth resonates this way for me)..which up to now i have resented (my own inner guidance!)..even though i have intuitively known it to be true for me..but now it's so clear 'why'...it's about the natural action and aliveness of the face as it reflects the true inner spirit of the self....the face and it's expressions are really like a flower unfolding it's beauty...and i believe that your exercises may not only allow that to remain in tact but accelerate the process by allowing it to be even more animated and expressive.

But my previous question still remains..is there any difference in how I should be performing the exercises than a younger woman would?

Dear Jasminerosey,

I'm so touched that you enjoyed the bit on my site and that you've written such a beautiful post about it. Gosh, I'm really moved by what you have written.

The older women who've come to me for FE and more lately for what I'm doing now have nearly all been very nervous about tugging their skin, but have been really happy once they've taken the plunge. I think a helpful way to think of it is as if you were doing yoga and stretching the muscles in the body.... you'd expect them to become more resilient and flexible at whatever age you started, but it's important not to do it so fiercely that it hurts and makes you feel miserable Very Happy . Tugging or pinching your skin should feel good, and if it doesn't it's probably better to go more gently until you can do more. But this isn't to say that if it hurts you've done any damage because your skin really can do amazing stuff.

I could give you a sort of fair comparison... my 10 year old had an appendix operation a few months before I had am umm tummy tuck (well, mini tuck). I was 43 and she was 8, but my scar is now invisible while hers is still red and raised, presumably because I brushed my scar every night for several months and she refused to brush hers! Laughing So you can see the skin will respond to a spur regardless of age.

I hope this answers your question, I'm going to sit for a few moments and smile at your lovely post.

((((hugs)

Loulou x

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Colli wrote:
Hello everyone!

I'm so happy that I've discovered this forum. I've been a Facial Flex user for a few years now, but lately I've been feeling that I could do with taking things to "a higher level" - metaphorically and literally! While the Facial Flex has been great, I want to move onto something a bit more rigorous and comprehensive. The FlexEffect system appeals to me, but the amount of time that needs to be spent on it seems a little excessive, especially since I'm always on the go. To cut to the chase, it was because of this board that I found out about Ageless If You Dare. I've already downloaded and read it. It's wonderful: the exercises seem challenging and incorporate the all-important resistance factor, and the exercises can be done in a matter of minutes. What value!

I've only done the Day One exercises, but so far I'm impressed. I only have one concern regarding pinching the skin. At the age of 33, I already have a few fine broken capillaries around my nose, and I'm worried that the skin pinching will cause more capillaries to break. Am I worried about nothing? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Colette
x

Hi Colli Smile

I used to have quite a lot of broken veins on my cheeks (which I've since had zapped with electrolysis), but I haven't got any from pinching or pulling my skin. I think there are two different things... the red veins that need professional treatment and the temporary things that you might get from applying too much pressure, like those marks you get from sucking the skin (we used to call them hickeys as teenagers in the UK), which will disappear in a few days. I'm not sure what causes the permanent ones, but pretty certain it's a different kettle of fish altogether Cool LL x

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
LouLou - I just have to take a moment to tell you how much I appreciate your gift for words. I can so easily understand your descriptions of things that aren't always that easy to express. That and the fact that your honesty is so refreshing and inspires real confidence in the information that you are teaching us (both in your wonderful book and here on the forum).
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
LouLou - thank you for input on forehead. I stopped exercising corrigulator completely once I read tha you do not do it. The two lines I have are horizontal, not vertical ones, and I have been doing forehead exercises faithfully for more then eighteen months... Now I will try you approach from the book to exercise it less frequently and see what would happen. Thanks again!!!
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
bethany wrote:

Just an FYI...I did a closer inspection of the old Howdy Doody lines today, and I think they are definitely decreasing!!

I am off to go do my exercises right now. Very Happy

Very inspiring, Bethany! Those are just the changes that I want to see in my face. If my cheeks could "beef" up enough to lift that skin that has sagged somewhat around the N/L area, I would be thrilled.

The exercises are so easy and quick to do that I sometimes find that I want to go thru the entire two day routine each day. I wonder if these muscles are ones that need a regenerating day in between workouts or if they are more like the abs in that they can take and readily respond to everyday exercise.

LouLou, any thoughts on that?? Anyone else??

This is an interesting question, particularly because I hear conflicting info all the time about the abs. Some people claim that they can be worked daily, others say that that is a ridiculous notion; that abs need to be rested for at least 24 to 48 hours just like any other muscle.

My guess is that it varies by individual, and if you aren't seeing/feeling any negative results you should go for it and let us know how it's working.

I did end up buying the download Thursday night, by the way, I just couldn't help myself. Laughing
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
... The only thing I have changed is that instead of the Long Neck exercise, I still use the Facial Flex. I find it really hard to grab the skin around the neck as instructed. I think the Facial Flex is excellent for the jawline and neck muscles, so I do 30 reps of that instead of the Long Neck exercises. I also continue to use the vaculift, which is good for circulation and helps skin health as well.

Hey there Boski wave

I have trouble with the neck exercises too (both Ageless and FE versions), so I'm glad that the FF will address that.

Now that I have Flex Effect, Ageless and Flacial Flex, I officially hereby swear to purchase no more facial muscle devices or programs for at least 12 months.

This is my public statement - may lightening strike me dead if I waiver. Smile
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Wow Beth! What my old eyes are seeing is;

- Top part of NL fold (just above and to the side of upper lip) looks like it has filled in some.

- Your chin looks like an entirely different shape.. It's much rounder in the first shot, and looks more defined in the after..

You go girl! That's amazing in such a short time..

Editing to add: I just looked again, and I'll be damned, the NL fold is smaller and tighter also..

All I want to know is when is *your* video coming out??? ... You are definitely doing something right .. Very Happy

This is exactly what I'm seeing, too.

My n/l lines/wrinkles (because I have both Neutral ) are SO much worse than that, and I'm younger than you Silenced

Your pics are definitely inspiring!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
boski wrote:
... The only thing I have changed is that instead of the Long Neck exercise, I still use the Facial Flex. I find it really hard to grab the skin around the neck as instructed. I think the Facial Flex is excellent for the jawline and neck muscles, so I do 30 reps of that instead of the Long Neck exercises. I also continue to use the vaculift, which is good for circulation and helps skin health as well.

\
Now that I have Flex Effect, Ageless and Flacial Flex, I officially hereby swear to purchase no more facial muscle devices or programs for at least 12 months.

Uh Oh! Bad Grin
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
boski wrote:

\

Uh Oh! Bad Grin

Quick, quick, take it back ... or you'll be soooorrrrryyyyy ... Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
My n/l lines/wrinkles (because I have both Neutral ) are SO much worse than that, and I'm younger than you Silenced

Your pics are definitely inspiring!

But I'm fatter than you, silly...and fat does a great job at hiding some of that stuff! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
I think you are misunderstanding...no one who has noticed increased firmness after just a few times has claimed that they have built muscle in that brief time...we have said that we have noticed an increase in the firmness of our cheek muscles when we touch our faces.

I cannot feel my facial muscles - all I can feel is flesh Rolling Eyes Will keep at it though!
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
brenpatsa wrote:

I cannot feel my facial muscles - all I can feel is flesh Rolling Eyes Will keep at it though!

LOL!
As my facial skin has drooped some in the last few years, my cheek area has seemed less full. Maybe you haven't loss the mass in that area like I have and therefore have less to improve?
Do you ever feel muscle soreness or tenderness while you are exercising or afterward? I am starting to love that ache, weirdly enough, because I can tell its working!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
Do you ever feel muscle soreness or tenderness while you are exercising or afterward? I am starting to love that ache, weirdly enough, because I can tell its working!

No I don't - I really don't know whether I'm doing this properly. I grab the flesh as per instructions and then do the movement but I don't think I'm feeling any resistance. I'm mainly concerned with my jowls and marionette pouches.
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
LuLu
I read this earlier and of course now cant remember who wrote this about the exercise for the brows - holding them up and then closing eyes:

I read a few places that exercise is for lifting the brows - so if I already have low brows - I shouldnt do that one?

which leads to me to my 2nd question - can we use your techniques along with other exercises or is it best to just do your routine? I dont have FE - so it would just be stuff i saw here and there on the web

OH and now i just thought - how about cupping? Would you recommend using it before/after or even at all?

THANKS
michele
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:04 am      Reply with quote
mb935 you can add a few extra's in - I do:)
And that may have been me who mention the brow exercise -thats how i do mine so it is a bit different from loulou's brow one. I just continue with mine because i like it.

Ive started just doing day 1 and 2 on the same day. Im going to do them every second day so i get a days rest in between.

I never actually feel sore or tender like some of you mention?? Ive been doing face exercises on and off for a long time though so maybe my muscles are fairly conditioned? Not that ive ever felt sore from them...

Im still a bit confused about exercise 1 -day 2. Do you kinda suck your cheeks back in? if that makes sense..

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:50 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 the way I get that one to work (and I really hope I am doing it right) was to try to squeeze the inside of my cheeks against my teeth as I pull the corners of my mouth back. I hope that helps you I do know my cheeks sure feel it. Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
thanks carolb...

lulu - put me on the "list" for wanting/needing a video. i started day 2 today and i just didnt get most of them at all!!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |