Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to lighten the neck so that it matches the face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
As titled. My neck is obviously darker than my face especially the back of my neck. If I'm to wear foundation, it's really frustrating! So I would like to know what can I do to lighten the color of my neck so that it's about the same as my face? Should I scrub it often? What should I do? Sad Thanks!
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Stardustdy,

Have you tried hydroquinone? (Some people are okay with using it - others aren't - but there aren't many OTC or Rx remedies that can really lighten one's skin tone significantly...)

Also, sunscreen, if you are getting darker on the back of your neck - is imperative. Many people never forget to wear sunscreen on their faces - but then forget to protect the skin of their necks and chest.

Scrubbing may or may not help significantly. A mild exfoliant may help to even your skin tone - and may make things a tiny bit lighter, but I would caution against being too vigorous in scrubbing - as you may end up getting irritation and some post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation afterwards.

Kojic acid and licorice root extract have been shown to help with mild pigmentation issues - but may take some time to see any effect.

Here is a link for some options (medical treatments, prescription medicines - and OTC) that you might find useful:

http://www.smartskincare.com/reviews/product/functionidx/lighten/

Hope this helps...
kar126
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:32 am      Reply with quote
maybe try using a stronger SPF product on the neck than the face, I think that should help over time
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:40 am      Reply with quote
You know, that got me thinking....I always apply foundation to my face, but not all the way down my neck. Could this be what you do too? I make sure I apply sunblock to my neck, but maybe the additional foundation helps block the sun from my face and keeps it fairer than the neck.

Now that it's winter and we wear Tnecks and scarves (in the north anyway!), you could try the skin lighteners on your neck and hopefully be caught up by spring so face and neck match. Sometimes I wear a bronzer on my cheeks to look less pale and pallid - maybe this would make you "match" until then.

Also, I found that when driving, the sun hits my neck more than my upper face, so I probably should be wearing a scarf while driving to block 100% of the sun - picture me: Zelda driving my Rolls with the top down wearing a trailing silk scarf! (j/k)
Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for all the suggestions! U ladies are the best

I guess in winter, it would help to just put on a scarf as sunblock. I do put sunscreen on my neck and chest area but always neglect the neck as I thought the long hair will cover it. So my neck and chest are lighter than the back of my neck which is quite dark in comparison.

I was wondering if Vit C will lighten those areas up? If it does, then that's great!! Very Happy
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
I was wondering if Vit C will lighten those areas up? If it does, then that's great!! Very Happy

It might, but I think it's more because the Vit C acts as a mild exfoliant. Since it's getting colder, I would definitely work on always wearing sunscreen (esp. on the spots that are darker) and wear turtlenecks and scarves. If you're vigilant about sunscreen - and maybe use some mild pigment lighteners - you may be pleasantly surprised come spring! (Just remember, it does take quite awhile for pigment to fade... And, just a bit of sun on unprotected skin is enough to activate the melanin...)

Scarves, sunscreen, high necked blouses - and maybe a big parasol! (Too bad we don't live back in the 1800s!!) Wink
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
my case is infact the opposite......my neck and chest is lighter than my face Crying or Very sad ........and for me i do wear sunblock on both areas in fact i sometimes miss out on the neck......but face i religiosly wear sunblock........i cant cover it from the sun unless i wanna look like those afghan women Confused ..........iv tried sooo hard to even out and lighten my face to match my skin but now i give up and leave it as is.....as im just wasting money on products that dont work and since i cant cover the face from the sun its just gonnna get darker if not worse from using a lightening product and then sun rays fall on it (even though im wearing SS)

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:41 am      Reply with quote
Actually AHA would be better. I have been using that and it really lighten my skin a bit.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy, if you are not opposed to hydroquinone, you could apply the Nu Derm Clear twice a week. That should lighten the color of your neck.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny, I'm planning to order a CellularSkinRx Vit. C serum with my next order so I'm going to apply that to my neck too. I do try to apply sunscreen on the back of my neck evenly but it's quite hard to reach there Embarassed

simran, I guess you can try the suggestions here on your face while I try them on my neck. And a few months later, we can come back to this topic and post our results Very Happy

rileygirl, I guess u r referring to the Obagi? It's around $80! Quite pricey. I don't think I can adjust myself to spend so much just on my neck Very Happy Is there a cheaper alternative? Thanks!

sakura, which brand of AHA do u use? Hope it's not too expensive!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
stardustdy, you probably could find a generic 4% HQ that is cheaper. If you don't get the results you want from the C alone, you may want to check into HQ (again if you are not opposed, and I do understand some people are!). Good luck!
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
I use Reversa or Neostrata the 10% ones. I found that I got a bit dark on vacation and it really lighten my skin a bit. I was using it to fight blemishes.
echoico
5% products discount

Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:28 am      Reply with quote
AHA and stronger SPF product.
havana8

Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I would try one of the NIA24 products. Two friends of mine of have been using the products regularly for about six months now and have noticed that their foundation/MMU colour is now too dark for them...
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the tips i will just have to bite the bullet and use HQ nad pray i dont get rebound pigmentation Confused
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
As titled. My neck is obviously darker than my face especially the back of my neck. If I'm to wear foundation, it's really frustrating! So I would like to know what can I do to lighten the color of my neck so that it's about the same as my face? Should I scrub it often? What should I do? Sad Thanks!
Do you HAVE TO wear foundation. Its easier to go with only concealer or foundation only where necessary but I don't think you would wear a full face of foundation right?? A skin lightener will take at least 2-3 months to see any difference if at all.
alexol
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I got my neck much more fair than the face tone.
I believe it should be caused by the sun shine, which gives more effect on the face area than neck.
And the skin structure in neck is different from that in face. So, it must be noticed that you should be more careful if applying some high performance fade products on it.

5% products discount

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Stardusty, you might want to try the Epidermx II. It is a great skin lightener. I had so many problems with skin darkening and it has really lightened up mine. EDS sells it, under NaturDerm. I can't do without it!
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
I have used EpidermxII and it hasnt helped me with any lightening for my pigmentation near mouth area.....its just a good exfoliating product

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |