Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Measuring Obagi Nu Derm
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I recently purchased Nu Derm from EDS. I have been on Obagi for 3 days only. I have been on retin A 0.05 for a while, but when I started Obagi I upped my dose to 0.1 since 0.05 doesn't really cause a reaction anymore.

And a reaction is exactly what it has caused. I didn't expect that by the 3rd day my face would already been completely red, and painful, with some light peeling basically everywhere. I am supposed to go to the dentist tomorrow and I'm sure she is going to ask me what is wrong with my face! It makes me wonder if I am even measuring the stuff correctly?

I have heard a few different things about measuring:
-The distance between the 0-B-A = 1/2 gram
-The distance from pinky finger to joint = 1/2 gram
I dont know how long your pinky fingers are, but mine is a lot longer than the OBA! Also, the OBA letters on the cleanser and toner have much more space than on the smaller products.

I just want to make sure im doing it right. I am making a toothpaste line the distance of O-B-A on my action bottle (57g) for half a gram.

Does anyone have any other tips for making sure you measure the right amount? Thanks!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
You are using the letters on the bottle (OBA) correctly to measure 1/2 gram.

For the pinky measurement, it is from the top of the pinky (by the nail) down to the 1st joint. That is 1/2 gram. For measuring 1 gram, you go from the top of the pinky to the 2nd joint in your pinky. Hope that helps.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot! Im a guy so i guess my pinky is just bigger than you girls' pinkies. Ill follow the letters on the OBA.

Is it OK to skip exoderm or should I use it even when my face is is red and irritated?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Red is a normal reaction while on Nu Derm. Myself and several others found that the Exfoderm is what caused most of the redness!

What do you mean when you say irritated? If you are raw anywhere, don't use any of the products on the raw part until that area heals. If you are just dry, tight, flaking, etc, then you need to keep going. Hope that helps!
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
thanks again! No i am not raw per se. Mostly just very tight and red, and genreally unsightly Laughing Also my eye area wrinkles look more obvious when I smile, since the area is so dry, they are emphasized. But I understand this to be normal. I want to drench this area in moisturizer but I guess this would negate the beneficial effects of the system. Ill just allow it to be as it is, and eventually I guess that area will peel too, revealing the younger skin undeneath.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
thanks again! No i am not raw per se. Mostly just very tight and red, and genreally unsightly Laughing Also my eye area wrinkles look more obvious when I smile, since the area is so dry, they are emphasized. But I understand this to be normal. I want to drench this area in moisturizer but I guess this would negate the beneficial effects of the system. Ill just allow it to be as it is, and eventually I guess that area will peel too, revealing the younger skin undeneath.

Good luck. I hope you have great results. (And, right, no moisturizer!) Very Happy
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:41 am      Reply with quote
yes, Using the right amount of Nuderm product is very important based on my experience!!! Very Happy
justinapan
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Obagi is really hot now.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
I think it IS the exfoderm that causes a lot of the redness now that Ive been on Obagi for a few days... But, it also really gets rid of the peeling so I love it! It really helps exfoliate!
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
On a side note, how close do you guys put Obagi to your eyes? My eye area looks like crap right now. I know its temprary but it scares me still. I never even knew I had so many wrinkles there. However, seeing the wrinkles from the dryness makes me want to continue putting the product in this area to correct the problem Laughing Anyone have a similar experience?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
I put the products as close under and to the sides of my eyes as I can get. If you want to include the lid area, you can apply the Clear, Blender/Retin A to that area, but no exfoderm to the lid. I usually only put the Clear, Blender/RA on my brow bone. The wrinkles definitely look worse before they look better! Just remember, that Nu Derm will not get rid of deep wrinkles (and I have some!), but it will diminish the depth of deeper wrinkles.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have always been afraid of getting to close to my eyes as I have scorched them in the past with Retin-A, but in hindsight maybe I was too quick to stop doing it.
rileygirl you are the obagi queen - do you put the retin-a under your eyes also?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Wow rileygirl, sounds like take the aggressive approach Wink But hey, if it works, it's worth it! Have you noticed a positive difference in your eye area from using NuDerm in the past? Im worried to do the lids even though i know they have sun damage... but i am doing the undereye area, especially the sides, where I get lines when I smile.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I do put the Retin A under my eyes, Alley. I get as close to my bottom lash line as I can.

amonavis, I am also afraid to put the products on my lids, but I feel by putting them on the brow bone, the lids are getting some indirectly, due to the "spreading" of the products. I do feel that the products helped the fine lines around my eyes when I did the whole 18 weeks last year. I am hoping for similarly good results this time! Very Happy
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
Im glad it worked out for you in the eye area. Can you tell me, did the improvements disappear when you stopped the program? I hope the results especially on wrinkles are not too fleeting!

Also, my face is currently extremely red (4th day of Obagi). Does anyone know how long it "usually" takes (i know everyone is different) before the redness subsides? Im on a moderate program, so im not skimping nor do I want to. Im just curious how long before my skin gets used to all these products on my face and turns a more natural color again. It's weird having people think I am sun burned. Laughing
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis, if you stop using the products, your skin will slowly revert back to how it was prior to using the Nu Derm. For me, I was off the products for 1 year. The wrinkles did not become as bad as they were prior to using Nu Derm last year, but they certainly did get worse.

As far as your redness, you could potentially be red the entire 18 weeks. For a lot of us who did the whole regimen last year, after about the 8-12 week mark, most of us reduced the Exfoderm to a few times a week. It did not seem to make a difference in the outcome, but all of us who did this had our redness go away and we looked "normal" aside from the off and on flaking! Your sunscreen should help tone down the redness a little bit.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl, can I ask, did you keep using Retin A after? What kind of products did you use after your 18 weeks?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
No, unfortunately I did not keep using RA. I had product withdrawl after 18 weeks on Nu Derm! Laughing I can't even begin to list all the products I tried over the year, but it was a lot! I am sure my wrinkles would not have gotten worse if I continued RA. I am also sure my skin would be as close to perfect as I could ever get (other than going for surgery, injectables, etc, which I am not interested in) if I had continued on maintenance. Oh well, live and learn!
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah for sure! I have used glycolic acid and Retin A since age 18. I have good skin. im only 26. However Retin A makes you so sun sensitive. And for some STUPID reason I decided to go tanning in Miami whenever I was there for work, which was pretty often. Coupled with my Retin A use, and my lack of knowledge of sunscreen stability (Avobenzone degrades really fast in light-- spf 20 isn't really that great either) I did get some sun damage. But now with my NuDerm, a tube of high strengh retin A, and an SPF 60 with Mexoryl, I'm determined to look 18 again Laughing
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:54 am      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
But now with my NuDerm, a tube of high strengh retin A, and an SPF 60 with Mexoryl, I'm determined to look 18 again Laughing

I am so with you, though I am older than you, so I will settle for looking 30 (heck even 35 is ok with me)! Laughing
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:10 am      Reply with quote
amonavis and rileygirl I am on day # 4 of my reintroduction of Obagi and this morning my face is red red red. Oh you forget that wonderful burning sensation when you put on the Exoderm Shock My previous round of Obagi the redness went away within a couple of weeks for the most part but I cheated a little and would use the Action cream when things got really bad.

Like rileygirl said live and learn on the Obagi maintenance, I certainly won't make that mistake again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Alley, don't you love the tomato red look? Maybe we will start a new trend! Laughing
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:09 am      Reply with quote
LOL there is nothing more attractive than that windburn, dead of winter dry skin look Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
I am right with you Alley! I am currently sitting here with a red and peeling face, that feels tight and dry when i smile. I feel like I just got a medium peel done. Only, the recovery is 18 weeks rather than 7 days Sad
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:47 am      Reply with quote
LOL this morning I am honestly afraid to smile!! I think my face is going to crack! Shock
Mercifully it isn't that red.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |