Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Have u seen your muscles get "trained" from Botox?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rcascone
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have been told that the more times you do it, the less you have to because your muscles get weaker in that area. I was considering doing my crows feet, but I can't afford to do it 4x per year forever. Anyone actually experience the more times you've gone, the less you have to go later effect?

thanks Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting. By the way I think some people do it only 2 times a year. It may be better than nothing if that is what you can afford. Your theory makes sense. I dont have botox, but i wonder if people who have it, and then get chemical peels or use Retin A to boost collagen or collagen boosting laser treatments etc, could actually have their wrinkles completely go away after a few years of botox. Then maybe you could stop botox for a few years, until the expressions cause more wrinkles down the road? Makes sense to me! Laughing
rcascone
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
We can hope. That is what they have told me though. I did it once, and it only lasted for a few months, but maybe if I keep doing it, my muscles will get used to not making that expression. I wish i could put eye makeup on without raising my brows. I start the day with faint horizontal lines on my head only to put makeup on and have them become more distinct! UGH!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, that is my experience. I've been using Botox for three years.

First time
Three months later
Three months later
Three months later
Six months later
Six months later
Six months later - the treatment I got last week.

My most recent treatment didn't "take" nearly as well as others - I can still frown.

When I went in, I did the preliminary sample scowl and it was as if I'd never had Botox - everything was gone.

In three months, I'll have another treatment and start building up again.

Before I got Botox, I had deep, crabby ll lines. I don't have those anymore. The creases I had when all the Botox was gone were mere shadows of their former selves, so I think that I did the right thing.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
rcascone wrote:
I have been told that the more times you do it, the less you have to because your muscles get weaker in that area. I was considering doing my crows feet, but I can't afford to do it 4x per year forever. Anyone actually experience the more times you've gone, the less you have to go later effect?

thanks Smile

It did not work that way for me at all, unfortunately...I used it for 2.5 years and was injected every 3-4 months.

But I tend to be more resistant to Botox than most people, so YMMV. For comparsion's sake, it took 80+ units (at $12 each) to do my forehead, my 11's, and around my eyes. And *poof* it was 100% gone in 3 months, and my wrinkles looked identical to what they were before the Botox. Rolling Eyes

Calculate that up at every 3-4 months ($960 x 4 = $3,840/yr), and you can see why I have turned to dermarolling and facial exercise!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:45 am      Reply with quote
Didn't work that way for me either, infact quite the opposite. When I first started getting botox on my crowsfeet 11 years ago I couldn't screw up the sides of my eyes when I smiled at all. It was fantastic, and it lasted 6 months. Now I get it done every 3 months and I can still scrunch the muscles at the sides of my eyes when I smile. I'd say I get a 50% reduction in the scrunch. So far it's been enough to stop me having permanent lines at the sides of my eyes, but I want to not scrunch at all. Not sure what to do about it now, and really want them to invent another toxin that works better on me. And I know I'm not the only one with this problem too.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Here's my story -
First time - three months
Second time - three months
Third time - four+ months
Fourth time - four+ months
Fifth time - six months

It did get progressively better in that the frown lines would go away and it seemed to last longer and stronger.
The last time I waited six months and of course they were coming back but I still think they would've been way worse if not for my previous tx.
I've had 1/2 CC (I think that's what they told me) each time (pay around $160 a visit). This last time I still seem to be able to frown whereas before I could not. Went to a different Doc though so maybe that has something to do with it.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:58 am      Reply with quote
I've been told the muscle lose their strength over time from lack of use and somewhat atrophy. It made sense to me and in a sense that is what I observed.
For me it's nice to not see those angry looking lines. I don't mind wrinkles but not when they make you look like a meanie Mad
Good skin care and Facial Exercises definitely have been helping also. Gotta get that dermaroller!
rcascone
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:51 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I've been told the muscle lose their strength over time from lack of use and somewhat atrophy. It made sense to me and in a sense that is what I observed.
For me it's nice to not see those angry looking lines. I don't mind wrinkles but not when they make you look like a meanie Mad
Good skin care and Facial Exercises definitely have been helping also. Gotta get that dermaroller!

Is the dermaroller just for puncturing the skin to allow the actives to sink in deeper? Can you do it on your crow's feet? Sounds painful from what I've read Sad Thanks for all of your input!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:01 am      Reply with quote
I found this article from La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery very interesting and could perhaps explain the variation in response to Botox:

Unfortunately, Botox received from one cosmetic procedure provider may not be exactly what you get at another. Even though Botox (botulinum toxin type A) is supplied to all doctors and facilities in a manufacturer's vial containing 100 units of vacuum-dried neurotoxin complex, in order to be able to inject these active units of Botox, a physician must add a saline solution to get it in "liquid form."

There are 100 units of Botox in every vial, and the more saline that is added to the vial, the less active units that will be present in each syringe. You should be aware that some may refer to this as the dilution process, but it is actually called "reconstitution." So while each healthcare professional gets the same Botox product from the manufacturer, when it's reconstituted for injection, strength and efficacy will differ depending on the amount of saline added. This brings to mind a number of questions for you to ask yourself before deciding on Botox injections.

With this in mind, you should be cautious when you see Botox offered at bargain prices. Everyone pays the same price to the vendor (Allergan) - so how can prices to patients vary so much? It doesn't seem reasonable, does it? That's because it isn't, if manufacturer's recommended reconstitution guidelines are followed. Botox at a "bargain" price almost always means it has been diluted far beyond what's recommended (or effective).

A patient may assume that he or she is getting a "good dose" of Botox because the physician is injecting a large amount - but don't confuse units of saline with units of actual Botox. Physicians who add more saline to the Botox vial than is suggested by the manufacturer, or by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), are administering a less effective injection of Botox - so you should always ask, "What is your reconstitution ratio?"

Also, some facilities quote a price based on the area of injection. You need to look further into this vague statement. As well as asking about the reconstitution ratio, you also need to ask a second important question, "How many units do you inject in that area?"

And, that begs the next question -- what is their definition of an "area". For instance, a provider may advertise "$99 per area", but if the crow's feet area is broken up into two areas, when in most practices it is considered one area, you're not getting any bargain. Look, instead, for a dermatologist or plastic surgeon that charges for Botox "by the unit" so you only pay for the exact number of units you receive. Be sure that he or she follows ASPS guidelines on reconstitution, as well.

If you're considering Botox, you want to be as educated as possible and do plenty of research before going ahead with the injections. Being the well-informed consumer of these products means being aware of exactly what is being used in your cosmetic treatment, whether the person administering your cosmetic treatment is qualified, and last, but not least, if you are even a candidate for Botox injectables.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:18 am      Reply with quote
Absolutely for me. We did had some posts on this subject a while back and quite a few people had similar results. For me it is my "11's" or glabellar area and it makes the botox last longer each time. Now you do have to have a skilled injector who injects it in the same area every time, similar unit amounts and have it be fresh in order to really give it a fair test of how long in between each time. Mine lasts up to a year if I am careful with the baby Q around it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Here's my story -
Fifth time - six months

It did get progressively better in that the frown lines would go away and it seemed to last longer and stronger.
The last time I waited six months and of course they were coming back but I still think they would've been way worse if not for my previous tx.
I've had 1/2 CC (I think that's what they told me) each time (pay around $160 a visit). This last time I still seem to be able to frown whereas before I could not. Went to a different Doc though so maybe that has something to do with it.

The price you pay is really cheap. I have never heard of botox at that price before. Usually its at least $300 per area, where I live anyway. I would be kind of suspicious if they are diluting it too much Confused
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Determined wrote:
I found this article from La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery very interesting and could perhaps explain the variation in response to Botox:

The dilution point is very important, along with the skill of the injector. I ended up calling Botox directly to discuss recommended dilution rates, and they also recommended that I see someone that was a National Botox Educator (list is available on their website).

After having mine done at 4 different places over 2.5 years, I found that:

- Injector skills definitely do vary

- Injectors have different knowledge of "tricks"...my PS is a National Botox Educator and is a Platinum Level Botox reseller (meaning that he sells a TON of Botox)...yet he did not know that you can inject right above your upper lip to create more fullness.

- Some places do dilute more than recommended (only 1 out of the 4 would not tell me their dilution ratio, which meant that they were hiding something, and it DID wear off faster there)

- Too little dilution can be just as bad as too much...it requires extreme control and injection in exactly the right spot, or you will get some very bad drooping

- Some people (like me) are still resistant to Botox, even when you are using the best injector and the appropriate dilution ratio

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Do you know if it is possible for botox to help with those laugh lines between the nose and mouth, on either side? My dermatologist said he doesnt use botox there, he uses fillers. I dont want fillers yet at this stage... Im curious if you have heard anything about this! Thx
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
Do you know if it is possible for botox to help with those laugh lines between the nose and mouth, on either side? My dermatologist said he doesnt use botox there, he uses fillers. I dont want fillers yet at this stage... Im curious if you have heard anything about this! Thx

Botox is not appropriate there, but facial exercise can help if you don't want to go the filler route.

BTW, those are called your nasolabial folds.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
sister sweets wrote:
Here's my story -
Fifth time - six months

The price you pay is really cheap. I have never heard of botox at that price before. Usually its at least $300 per area, where I live anyway. I would be kind of suspicious if they are diluting it too much Confused

Maybe so - but I've had great results and long lasting.. So I'm glad to pay less and still get the results I'm looking for... Very Happy This last time (the new doc) and the time that I think they may have over-diluted he charged me 133.00 (having a special)....
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Have you ever heard of a group of people having botox and it being cheaper?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:

Sherry...where have you been??? Very Happy

There are definitely Botox parties, but from what I understand, over dilution and unskilled injectors are very common. This may be a situation where you get what you pay for.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:

They call them 'Botox Parties' in Palm Beach Florida where I live, and many people have them in their house..

Probably the more people that attend, the better the price would be.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
I live in northern Virginia. How come I never get invited? I have botox every 3 months. I am now starting use my vacuum thingy. It is working with my lines around the lips, however I still have the 11 even with doing botox. do you think it the vac * spam * will work on my 11's? I did the dermaroller, and all I did was peal from it.
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
someone from Northern VA must be doing the Botox party. I could do it. I have no idea how to get it started. Any ideas.
Luciana
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:

My doctor says the same. She does not use botox for the nasolabial folds. The only area she would inject around the mouth is above the upper lip for the vertical lines that appear there.
Luciana
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Cam anyone recommend a Botox injector she is happy with in terms of both results and price. Location: Ottawa (Ontario, Canada). My doctor charges CAN $375 per area and I find it expensive.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
I have been looking into this and there are some doctors in LA who do botox in the nasolabial areas but it requires more experience and is more risky, which is why doctors tend to avoid it. But apparantly there ARE some who do it. Hard to find though so ill wait until more doctors have it down to a science.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |