Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help for chronic dry skin sufferer!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:37 am      Reply with quote
I am 37 (will be 38 next month) and have always had dry skin (no flakes or peeling, just tight dry skin) thus it is not weather or seasonal related, age related or the like...I have never had a problem with oil or acne... After I wash and treat my skin with my products, my skin looks great....blemish free, lines nearly invisible and it looks and feels hydrated. The problem that I am facing is keeping that hydration throughout the day. By mid-day after applying my makeup, (I don't wear foundation as I don't need it, just mineral powder) my face is dry, lines are more apparent (And this is especially noticeable under my eyes) and I am kind of at a loss for what to do....would love to slather on more moisturizer, but after applying makeup, that seems like a rediculous and not very healthy thing to do for your skin. For am and pm creams I use Revaleskin....I do use Green Cream Level 6 at night as well, which I have tolerated well with no irritation, peeling or other problems, but I know that can be drying too. I love the results I am getting with Green Cream so I don't want to lose it!!Smile AM is usually CP Serum and EMU....I try and drink plenty of water every day, SPF 50 sunscreen, eat right and nothing seems to help me retain that hydration!! UGH!!!! Would love some assistance with keeping all over hydration, with a focus under the eye area. I have always been told I look at least 10 years younger...but when this dry skin pops out mid day, I would have to differ with that opinion!! lol....thanks much!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Have you thought about trying facial oils. There are many to choose from such as Argan, Rosehip, Pomegranate, Emu, Jojoba etc. etc. All are very nourishing. I also have dry skin so for makeup I just use a tinted moisturiser over Rosehip oil. If my face feels dry later in the day, I just slap a bit of Argan oil on top.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Have you tried applying a cream to a wet face? Apparantly it helps retain moisture in the face since it "locks" in the water. Make sure its a cream, not a lotion.
Ever try a moisturizing glycolic acid cream? Neostrata has some. They are supposed to increase the moisture level of your skin over time.
havana8

Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:55 am      Reply with quote
good bit of info from LESLIE BAUMANN, M.D.

The Truth About Water and Your Skin

It's the main ingredient in most beauty products and a crucial element of every skin care regimen... but I still encounter lots of misconceptions when it comes to plain ol' water!

Yes, water is essential to all of our biological processes. When it comes to skin, H20 is necessary for the proper functioning of enzymes that enable skin to continually replace itself and slough off old, dead cells. And yes, if the body is severely dehydrated, you will see changes in your skin. But true dehydration is very different from the occasional need for a tall glass of water.

In the vast majority of cases, then, dehydrated skin is not indicative of a dehydrated body – and drinking more water will not have a significant impact on your skin's hydration. Make no mistake: As a doctor (and a human being!), I'm a big fan of water and advocate drinking plenty of it. But if you're experiencing dry skin – and more of us will be as the weather turns cooler and humidity drops in many parts of the world – the only way to get relief is to strengthen your skin barrier.

So, what's the skin barrier? That's the layer of skin – right in the middle of the epidermis – that's rich in lipids (a.k.a. fats) like fatty acids, cholesterol, and ceramides. When it's healthy, it is responsible for keeping moisture in your skin, and irritants out.

But when this barrier is compromised, your skin loses water to the environment, resulting in dry skin, and is also more susceptible to allergic reactions and irritation. That's also why you may feel plagued by dull skin during the winter: when the skin barrier is disrupted, its lipids aren't holding your skin cells together effectively. As a result, cells' edges begin to curl up, resulting in dry skin's rough, lifeless appearance.

The best way to tackle dry skin, then, is to help bolster the skin barrier so it can do its job and retain moisture. In fact, you can find the same lipids that are naturally present in your skin barrier in many moisturizers – fatty acids (like stearic acid), cholesterol, and ceramides are readily available in many creams and lotions. Glycerin, another rich moisturizer, is also easy to find. Best of all, these top-notch ingredients are affordable, and you'll find them in the aisles of your very own drugstore.

My favorites? For your face, look for the Dove ProAge moisturizers. And if you're in the market for a bit of a splurge, Atopalm MLE Cream is a wonderful option for dry, sensitive skin. For the body, I love Cera Ve Moisturizing Cream, Dove ProAge Cream Oil Lotion, and Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking Lotion.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/12896/the-truth-about-water-and-your-skin/
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
bren, I sympathize. What reallly helps me in the winter is Uriage Bariederm. It strengthens the skin barrier and prevents moisture loss but it isn't greasy. It's only available in Europe, that I know of, but it's worth its weight in gold!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:36 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your help thus far! I have found this board extrememly helpful to me compared to many others I have joined that noone seems to do anything! Our main objective here is to share our knowledge and learn the in's, the out's and the latest, I really do appreciate the fact that I actually found a board that is active and willing to do this...Will investigate all your ideas:)
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
You're doing a lot of stuff right. Here's some more ideas:

Try some supplements like fish oil and/or evening primrose. Be sure the brands are high-quality, established, etc.

Check your thyroid with your doctor. One of the main symptoms of underactive thyroid is dry skin. Other symptoms include fatigue, achy joints, menstrual problems, brittle nails, sensitivity to cold, and weight gain. Even if you are hypothyroid, you may not have all of these symptoms. (E.g., I have hypothyroid and I'm skinny as a rail. It took me a long time to get diagnosed because of this.)

Mist your face with a misting moisturizer like John Masters Organics Rose & Aloe Hydrating Toning Mist or Jane Iredale's D2O. A mister won't disturb your makeup and will leave your face feeling and looking dewy refreshed.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
great advice above, and i agree with treating the problem (also) from inside out!

I am also getting a bout of dry skin this winter, and i am taking flax seed oil (omega-3), seems to be helping a bit, i've also added oils in my skin regimen. Seems to work ok-ish, will see how it goes in the long run.
geisha707
5% products discount

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:21 am      Reply with quote
I didn't think I would ever hear myself say this as I HATE this procuct on my spot-prone skin.

But....have you tried Creme de la Mer? It is, afterall, designed for very dry skin. And, to be fair, I can see why...it has "that kind" of texture.

Just a thought.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:11 am      Reply with quote
Try some supplements like fish oil and/or evening primrose. Be sure the brands are high-quality, established, etc.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Welcome, martin-peter,

Interesting that your first post is a cut-and-paste from my post above. So original.

martin-peter wrote:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:35 am      Reply with quote
there's no need to suffer from dry skin for such a long time but i know how that is possible because i suffered from dry skin for a good while too.

the thing is, most creams on the market seem to be so focused on not being greasy they fail to moisturise for long periods of time.

but like i said, i don't suffer from this problem any longer because i have been using Skin Salvation by Purepotions for some time and the result is having soft skin without having to reapply each day. in fact, i'm finding i have to apply less and less.

i can especially feel the effects on my finger tips and the palms of my hands. around my eyes, where i usually suffer there isn't a trace.

i love the way you drink and eat responsibly, that's half the battle there, the other half is investing in inesting in creams that have a deep tissue effect and long lasting effects. try skin salvation. i don't believe you'll regret it.hope this helps x
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:59 am      Reply with quote
geisha707 wrote:
I didn't think I would ever hear myself say this as I HATE this procuct on my spot-prone skin.

But....have you tried Creme de la Mer? It is, afterall, designed for very dry skin. And, to be fair, I can see why...it has "that kind" of texture.

Just a thought.

The thing with La Mer is that while it feels good initially, it only really supplies a superficial, temporary glow. It won't keep your skin hydrated in the long term...my bank card has learnt that the hard way! I still keep a small pot for when I want to look *glowy* for an evening out- Kate Moss says that she uses La Mer this way too.

I agree with the facial oils- argan is beautifully thick- its like applying liquid gold- a truly remarkable oil. Other greats on my list are Squalane (this is very similar to your skin's own oils) and Macadamia Nut Oil (leaves skin supple and moist). Pomegranate and Rosehip are great too.

I also agree with supplements- wild salmon oil on a daily basis is a fantastic way to get some much needed omega 3. Hemp oil is another- I take it by the spoonful- gives my eyes a glow.

Hope that helps.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:40 am      Reply with quote
I hear you, My skin is also chronically dry. From personal experience the one thing that has worked best for me hands down is a combination of Argan Oil, Vitamin E Oil, and Rose Hip Seed Oil. I combine equal percentages and store it in an amber glass dropper bottle. I highly recommend it.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |