Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Has anyone used Obagi FX without hydroquinone?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lilsigngrl
5% products discount

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hello wonderful forum who answers all my questions:

I am re-starting Obagi Nu-Derm after a 6 month hiatus (due to $$ issues). Anyway, I have read some negative things about hydroquinone but I loved the results the Obagi Nu-Derm system gave me the first time around. I just noticed that Obagi now makes a Clear FX and a Blender FX (both sold @ EDS) which do not contain hydroquinone.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these products and if anyone has any opinion on whether or not I can get the same fabulous results with them as with the regular Clear and Blender?

I do have some SLIGHT hyperpigmentation on my upper lip but that's not the reason I'm re-starting Obagi. I basically loved the smoothness and clarity of tone/texture that Obagi gave my face. I was glowing!

Anyone wanna chime in? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have not used the FX products, but they are not new. They have been around for years, and were made for markets outside the US.

Let us know if you try it!
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know what ingredient they substitute for the Hydroquinone? I wonder if it is Kojic Acid.
Malishka31
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
It is Arbutin instead of Hydroquione

Arbutin is both an ether and a glycoside; a glycosylated benzoquinone extracted from bearberry plant in the genus Arctostaphylos. It inhibits tyrosinase and thus prevents the formation of melanin. Arbutin is therefore used as a skin-lightening agent. Arbutin is also found in wheat, and is concentrated in pear skins.

Arbutin is glucosylated hydroquinone,[1] and may carry similar cancer risks,[2] although there are also claims that arbutin reduces cancer risk.[3] The German Institute of Food Research in Potsdam found that intestinal bacteria can transform arbutin into hydroquinone, which creates an environment favourable for intestinal cancer. It is known that the body excretes 64-75% of arbutin in urine, and arbutin converted to hydroquinone has an antibacterial effect in the urinary tract, hence the use of bearberry in herbal medicine, but it is not known why this substance plays a role in cancer development.

wikipedia
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting. I wonder how it compares in efficacy! If anyoine has used this, please let us know! I would guess that hydroquinone still works better but that is just a guess.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
I think if you are going to use the hydroquinone short term for the 18 weeks of the Obagi Nuderm treatment regime, it should not increase your risk of cancer that signficantly. As you don't have a major problem with pigmentation, you can consider leaving out hydroquinone in the maintenance regime.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
I think if you are going to use the hydroquinone short term for the 18 weeks of the Obagi Nuderm treatment regime, it should not increase your risk of cancer that signficantly. As you don't have a major problem with pigmentation, you can consider leaving out hydroquinone in the maintenance regime.

I agree. I do not think using Obagi for 18 weeks will increase cancer risk. Also, you can do some research into the Hydroquinone. The studies done used an orally ingested Hydroquinone, and also used extremely high percentages, way above the 4%. But, this is a very personal issue and you will be the one to make the decision if it is right for you.

You may be able to get away with not using the Clear on maintenance, but I would suggest backing it off to 2 times a week to see how your skin continues to look. I also would strongly advise you continue to use the Blender on maintenance (along with the Retin A).
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Riley girl. Did your pores tighten on Obagi? If so, how long did it take?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:56 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, amonavis, I can't help you with that. I don't have any visible pores.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:28 am      Reply with quote
lucky! are you genetically blessed or is there a procedure we should all know about Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I guess I am genetically blessed in that department! No procedures. But, I have my own "issues". I have wrinkles. Sad I would much rather have oily skin and pore issues! Laughing
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:10 am      Reply with quote
I am sure it's not that bad! At least there is botox nowadays Smile Aren't we lucky we werent born 100 years ago when we did not have any of this stuff? Razz
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |