Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Article on nanotechnology/"nanophobia"
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Thought this article may interest some of you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/04/fashion/04skin.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Interesting article. I dont really use my formerly favorite Key's sunscreen anymore since I dont know if I trust the nanoparticles. I read that they can get lodged in your skin especially if its broken. Also if the nanoparticles are not covered with a coating, they can increase the amount of free radicals. So i'd rather avoid them for now I think.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:45 am      Reply with quote
hmm... me too - I`d rather avoid anything potentially dangerous to the health.

Does anybody know what kind of particles are in the NIA mineral sunscreen and ZO Oclipse sunscreen???

rileygirl, thank you for sharing! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:03 am      Reply with quote
You're welcome, Aiva. I thought it was interesting.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:31 am      Reply with quote
I'm agnostic for now on the nano-particle issue. I'd prefer to avoid them till more is known about their effects on the body. But this may be harder than we think. This month's Consumer Reports had a short item about nano-technology in sunscreens and tested 6 sunscreens that claimed not to have nano-particles. Guess what? 5 did anyway.

I don't have the article here at work, so I can't list the products. But I can get it if anyone wants it. The thing is, based on their findings, it may well be that almost any sunscreen will also flunk the test. It seems like the ultimate manufacturers of titanium and zinc dioxide are formulating the ingredient with nanotechnology, and the sunscreen makers using it may not be fully aware of that. Sad
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:40 am      Reply with quote
That's pretty shocking. Id be interested in seeing the article if its available. I hope the nanoparticles are at least coated. It makes them less likely to get absorbed, reduces free radicals too. Where are government regulations when we need them!?
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I can't post the article because it is not available for free online. If you are in the US you can buy the current Consumer Reports, or you can subscribe online. Consumer Reports is a very respected magazine with its own comprehensive testing labs that's been around for years. They have unimpeachable ethical standards--they don't take any advertising and they forbid companies from using their results in the company's own advertising. Instead they publish their reviews directly to consumers.

The article didn't say anything about whether the particles its lab found were coated or not, just that they found nano-particles when they tested the sunscreens. My own take on this is that sunscreen companies, like all skincare and cosmetic companies, buy the raw ingredients for their products from third party manufacturers. I suspect it's those third-party manufacturers who are less than candid about whether their ingredients contain nano-particles, particularly in the absence of government regulations that would require them to do so.

Whether the actual sunscreen makers know this, are duped themselves, or choose not to look too carefully, I couldn't say.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Good points! We can't control every variable. You can only do so much. You wear the best sunscreen you know about, you try your best, you stick to what treatments seem to work... and that's about all we can do. Same with food, try to eat healthy, but who knows what is really in it.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
Good points! We can't control every variable. You can only do so much. You wear the best sunscreen you know about, you try your best, you stick to what treatments seem to work... and that's about all we can do. Same with food, try to eat healthy, but who knows what is really in it.

I agree. Plus, there is a lot of stuff we put on our skin, nanoparticles aside, and who really knows long term what effect it has on our bodies. This skin care stuff is really quite "young", so there is no way of knowing at this point. One just has to make the best decisions for themselves!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |