Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Help! I think I ruined my skin.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Over the Hill

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Please can someone help me? About a week ago I decided to take better care of my skin since I was turning 60. I think I overdid everything and now my face is a mess. First I really, really exfoliated my skin using a few different products that I had lying around. Then I slathered on a bunch of different face creams. A few days later I steamed my face and then proceeded to try to get out all my little blackheads.

The result of all this was on my birthday a few days ago my skin felt awful and still does. It feels hot and prickly and all of a sudden I have
more wrinkles than I ever have had. It kind of looks shiny when I put on makeup so I've stopped using any. Moisturizer doesn't seem to absorb and kind of stings.

I am so afraid that I may have done permanent damage to my skin. Any suggestions on what I should do to get my skin back to normal???
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
Don't worry, the skin is very resilient. You did not permanently damage it from what you are saying. You just overexfoliated it. You need to let the skin repair itself. The fine lines are from dryness and irritation and it will go away. Your skin is fragile right now. Just wash with Cetaphil or simple cleanser, put on a basic sunscreen with no fragrance during the day. At night either leave it alone or use a simple moisturizer like complex 15. If it is really bad it could take up to a month to go back to normal. I have been in the same situation as you before. With exfoliation you have to be careful to let the skin heal for a few days after before putting a lot of products on it. And in my opinion the steam thing is never a good idea but I am sure some might disagree.

AFter about a week of healing you might want to add some rosehip oil or something calming and repairing... I am sure others would have better ideas on that front!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
You might think about using a healing oil at night, and definitely sunscreen during the day. I would not use anything else until your skin has healed. When you do start back up using products, go slow and introduce 1 new product at a time to see how your skin reacts.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, you sound like you've over-exfoliated. Don't worry, it will all calm down. Emu oil is extremely nourishing for skin that has been tortured - apply it at night. Also, when your skin is back to normal, you might like to consider using Retin-A - it's great for ageing skin. Start off with a low percentage and work your way up. There's lots of info for the over 55s on this thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=22881

I'm soon to be 59 and I'm getting great results from using a Dermaroller so this might be of interest to you as well:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=22460
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
You might think about using a healing oil at night, and definitely sunscreen during the day. I would not use anything else until your skin has healed. When you do start back up using products, go slow and introduce 1 new product at a time to see how your skin reacts.

I totally agree!

Avocado, Squalane or Emu oils are all good choices.. (Avocado oil has ingredients that will help to repair your skin!)

On days you won't be exposed to the sun, I'd forego the sunscreen, and just use a little oil.

Don't worry, don't overdue anything, and most of all, don't pick .. Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Over the Hill

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the advice. I've been googling and read about rosehip seed oil. My friend close by has some. Do you think that may help? I feel like such an idiot. How ironic, I was trying to make myself look better and younger and did the opposite. Sad
I'll definitely check out the over 55 thread.

Thanks again,
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
Rosehip oil is very healing. It can cause acne in some people since its very rich. I would wait a couple days for your skin to heal then introduce it if you want. It's always tempting to use more products... I think we have all been in your situation before!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
Over the Hill wrote:
Thanks so much for the advice. I've been googling and read about rosehip seed oil. My friend close by has some. Do you think that may help? I feel like such an idiot. How ironic, I was trying to make myself look better and younger and did the opposite. Sad
I'll definitely check out the over 55 thread.

Thanks again,

Geeez! I forgot all about that little gem.. That might be just the thing to get you on the straight and narrow again..

Here's a tidbit on it;

Rosehip Seed Oil Recognized and Successfully Researched
Rosehip Seed Oil has a cicatrizing action on the skin of people with surgical, traumatic and post-burning scar tissues. Rosehip Seed oil is a distinctive anti-inflammatory and produces an effective regenerative action on the skin. It not only helps in attenuating scar tissue, but also as wrinkle fighter. It prevents the advancement of premature aging and helps to regain lost natural color and tone of the skin. Scientific research successfully identified the presence of trans-retinoic acid (tretinoin) as the component responsible for the remarkable pharmacological properties of Rosehip Seed Oil.

http://www.nutricareplus.com/rosehipseed.asp

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
-cuddlin
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
I guess maybe you could have a try on the products of Avene and stop any other things.

Your skin now is intolerant and even more traumatized with the application of products that are not adapted and sometimes it "can no longer stand a thing".

So you need use products that are adapted to your skin with a minimum of ingredients in the formula.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:25 am      Reply with quote
Speaking of Avene they have a great healing Eau Thermal or Thermal Spring Water. It has minerals which are calming and soothing. It calms my redness and has gotten me through some cosmetic allergies before.
huskzee
5% products discount

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Over the Hill wrote:
Please can someone help me? About a week ago I decided to take better care of my skin since I was turning 60. I think I overdid everything and now my face is a mess. First I really, really exfoliated my skin using a few different products that I had lying around. Then I slathered on a bunch of different face creams. A few days later I steamed my face and then proceeded to try to get out all my little blackheads.

The result of all this was on my birthday a few days ago my skin felt awful and still does. It feels hot and prickly and all of a sudden I have
more wrinkles than I ever have had. It kind of looks shiny when I put on makeup so I've stopped using any. Moisturizer doesn't seem to absorb and kind of stings.

I am so afraid that I may have done permanent damage to my skin. Any suggestions on what I should do to get my skin back to normal???

What products did you use that you think ruined it? I had the same problem with manual microdermabrasion.
Over the Hill

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not 100% sure what I used for the exfoliation that I did. I know that one was
Biotherm softening exfoliating cream. My friend had given it to me quite a while ago.
I'm looking at the product now and I think it has gone bad. It didn't seen to have many grains in it, so I added Nivea gentle cleansing cream to my treatment. That didn't seem to be
grainy either so I think I added some "Pure
renew body scrub" on the instructions it does say that it is for the face and to avoid the eye area. So all in all I think I used all 3 on a damp face, but in my insanity I exfoliated for probably over 5 minutes.

I have never done anything so ridiculous before,
and my skin was actually quite nice, before I did all this. I think panic was setting in as
my 60th BD was on Thurs. and I wanted my skin to
look better. Senior moment?

I should mention that I look after my Mom who is 88 and has alzheimer's so suffer from caregiver stress. I just found this forum and think that it's great. Smile
huskzee
5% products discount

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
What are the common names of those microderm products that tell you to rub until it peels? Should we all avoid these types? How do you get around not putting tension on the skin?
onegirl

Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
I remember when I was in my 30s I tried about 10 products at the same time on my very sensitive skin. For about 1 day, it looked fantastic, but then all broke loose. I learned overdoing it is never a friend of the skin.

I also learned that what worked 10 years ago may not work now. I can't exfoliate that much because as we get older, the skin takes longer to regenerate the underlying skin, so by repeatedly exfoliating, it reveals skin that "hasn't caught up yet" which looks more lined, wrinkled, and raw.

Go gentle. Emu oil, and jojoba, are both good biological oils similar to the skin's own sebum, and will help to heal your skin.

And most important: choose a cleanser that is a balanced pH for the skin, i.e. 5.5 or thereabouts. There are very few so it's not easy to find one. Most cleansers are very alkaline 8+ and will strip the skin's acid mantle, making the skin look like you have described: lined, raw, wrinkled, and parched. Cleanser is critical, because once the mantle is stripped (from one washing), it takes a long time to rebuild. And it can't be rebuilt when it is continually assaulted with the same stripping cleanser. I have great luck with the Rose Hip Cleanser from Diana Yvonne. (I can't post the link as I'm a new member, but it is her name with no spaces dot com). My skin is very sensitive and breakout prone, and this stuff just feels great and soft. It's also available in sample size to try it out.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
OTH,
O my I do feel for you! I just did the same exact thing a couple weeks ago, and I can tell you I went thru an ugly stage too. Finally it is all back to normal again, but it was a temptation to keep trying things again to rehydrate my skin.
I used emu oil, hyaluronic acid serum, and NCNProSkinCare microfiber cloth to gently remove the "shreds" as they started to come off. Very attractive, huh? I did use Uriage Bariederm as a moisturizer - it's a good barrier and rather thick and hard to remove, so I pretty much left it alone until it shed off.
Some PS rec Crisco as a moisturizer after procedures, but I hate the thought of Crisco-face! Cheap though.
The rosehip oil sounds like a winner..please let us know what's working for you and if we can help in any way! Others of us have been there too!
And happy birthday! Glad you can come here for a break from your care-giving....it's very consuming, I know. Cheers.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
I bought some of the Rose hip seed oil on Saturday. The one I got is Rose Mosqueta by Aubrey Organics. It has a roller thing on top
and I'm not sure if I'm using it right. How I've
been using it is rolling it on the palm of my hand and then gently applying it to my face.
Is that the right way or should I just be rolling it on my skin? I think it is helping a little bit, but doesn't seem to be absorbing into my skin. Also how much of it should I be using? My skin still feels so parched, I wish I could put something on that would actually absorb into my skin. Any suggestions?

I also got some of the Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser because with the rose hip oil on my face I think it is attracting more dirt.
I've been using the cleanser by first dampening my face, then very gently applying it and then with damp cotton pads very gently removing it. Then I add a thin film of the rosehip oil.
I have noticed that on areas of my face it kind of looks something like an orange peel, something that I never had before I over exfoliated.

Another thing I'm doing is trying to raise the humidity in the house. With the heat being on it's quite dry. Also I bought some avocados for eating, heard it's good for the skin.

I'm hoping for some improvement in my skin before Christmas and New Years.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like you are on the right path now!

Just remember that your skin will only absorb as much as it needs. Just add the rose hip oil a little at a time, frequently..

To add humidity to a winter home, just put a bowl of tap water near the heating element in your bedroom and living area.... Remember to check daily and refill as needed.

harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi "over the hill" (not!) ..It seems like most of us have done this and I'm 57 so I think I know what you mean about the aging thing. For me it just took time for my skin to heal and rebuild itself. your skin may be inflamed... :) anything very gentle is good. and maybe just washing a bit at night and splash tepid water on in the morning. with a very light pure lotion or oil...maybe a camomille cream or a gentle organic, less or unscented one...good luck and let us know how it goes. I really appreciated your honesty...I'm often trying new products and I'm trying to learn which ones are good for me and forget the rest... I sometimes think less is better. harriet.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again. I found and then lost a thread titled "what are the signs of over exfoliation" it had lots of great ideas and feedback...you may find it helpful. good luck. harriet
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:
Hi again. I found and then lost a thread titled "what are the signs of over exfoliation" it had lots of great ideas and feedback...you may find it helpful. good luck. harriet

Here it is;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31597&highlight=signs+exfoliation

Over the Hill

Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
My skin seems to be healing somewhat, I am noticing a bit of improvement. Have still just been using the cetaphil gentle face cleanser and the rosehip seed oil. Feel like I'm ready for some face cream but can't decide what to get. Definitely something without any fragrance or harsh chemicals and hopefully very hydrating. When I smile the smile wrinkles take a while to go away. I also would like to try the thermale spray. Does anyone know where to buy this product. I'm in BC, Canada.
Oh, by the way I finally put on some makeup today mainly on the eyes and some blush and lipstick, because I finally went to renew my drivers license which expired on my birthday last Thursday. I hope the picture turns out not too ugly. For blush I have been using "Magic Mosaic- multi-colored custom blush in soft mocha. I really like it. A friend told me that Mineral Powder with mica is supposed to be good for the skin and also acts somewhat as a sunscreen. I'm thinking about trying it since right now I don't think I can really use foundation because it seems to just accentuate the wrinkles.

Sorry this post is so long. I should add that I am fair and my skin has always been quite nice, never ever had breakouts, somewhat on the dry side and seems to be delicate (pores usually quite fine). Since my over exfoliation (about 1 1/2 weeks ago, the last few days I have noticed some flaking around my nose and forehead, never had that before.

So: Any suggestions for face cream, and where I can get the eau thermale spray? Mind you I am on a very limited budget.
Also any feedback about the Mineral Powder, if that would be good for me at this point?
Also I've always found that sunscreen bothers my face so have just been using a moisturizer with sunscreen in it, is that bad?

Please give me some feedback soon, I really appreciate all your help. Smile
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Over the Hill, I can't help you with the face cream but you can get the Avene Thermale spray at London Drugs or Shoppers Drug Mart. HTH
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Considering that you've over-exfoliated your skin, I think a good sunscreen should be your main priority. Moisturisers tend to have a fairly low sun protection factor. Have you tried Japanese sunscreens such as Sofina or Sunkiller - They're my favourite because they're not thick and greasy.

I can't help with a face cream because I prefer to use oils. In the morning I use Rosehip and Pomegranate Oils as a moisturiser. I also use NCN's Sheer Mineral Tint which is a tinted moisturiser with an SPF of 20 which I apply on top of the Sofina Nuance.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
OTH
One of the things that helped me when my skin was over-exfoliated a while back was Uriage Bariederm cream. It has a repariative ingredient in addition to being a non-occlusive barrier. It is quite thick and long-lasting but you can moisten your skin first with a mineral water spray and then it goes on smoothly. It's available atwww.leguidesante.com. Since it's a French product, you may be able to find it in Canada at a store that specializes. I use it in the winter over my other skin products to keep from dehydrating. HTH

Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Actually I have not been going out during the day hardly at all. Since last Thursday I only went outside 3 times for very short times and there was no sun out, anyway. So for now I haven't really been worried about sunscreen.

I look after my 88 yr old mother who has alzheimer's and have been isolating because of depression and fatigue.

Keliu... so with the NCN's Sheer Mineral Tint with SPF 20 is that good enough to use as a sunscreen. Sorry I just looked at your post again and see you put the other on first.
The sunscreen you recommended sounds expensive, maybe I'll try looking at some of the threads on sunscreen to try to find one that's gentle but effective. To be honest I've never really used a sunscreen on my face before, except for on hot sunny days in the summer when I'm going to be out in the sun for a while, usually I only day moisturizer with sunscreen in it.

I guess it's time I start with the sunscreen.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |