Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

foundation makes my skin look older...........

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
does anyone else find this. You know that dewy look you have after you put moisturiser on, I find after foundation it looks dull and flat, especially after powder. What can I do? I need coverage, so some days I just wear concealer where i need it. Is there anything out there I could use to still have a dewy effect? something not too thick and mask like? Smile
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Well, a tinted moisturizer would be nice for you. Or sunscreen and then a little concealer and powder. Be careful not to cake the powder on though, especially under the eyes. I like to go over my makeup with a barely damp sponge to set it and take off the chalky, powdery look. That gives me a dewy look without being greasy.

Have you experimented with foundation primers? Some, like Guerlain L'or, have a slight shimmer to them, which can give some dimension under foundation and a nice dewy look. Or you could mix foundation with moisturizer and experiment to find the right ratio.

Be careful about foundations with Mica listed as an ingredient: it can show up any lines and pores like a spotlight!! Again, the blotting with a damp sponge can help with that, too.

HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I second the tinted moisturiser approach - I had exactly the same problem as you. I tried several tinted moisturisers but settled on NCN's Mineral Sheer Tint - it leaves a beautiful dewy finish to the skin but still has adequate coverage and an SPF 20. I apply it with a synthetic foundation brush.

http://www.ncnproskincare.com/virtuemart/6.html
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
I use MMU after my moisturizer. During the summer I pat my face with a microfibre cloth to remove the loose powder. Lately though with winter here, my face is drier so I sometimes have to put a couple drops of jojoba oil in my hands, rub them together then gently pat my face. Seems to give a dewy look.
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
I find two foundations are very good for my skin. One is that Age Rewind (Maybelline)? and the other is B. Brown's cream compact makeup...both are very moist.

www.middle-ageless.com Born in 1952. Blonde, very good skin. No noticeable wrinkling. Use AgeOff serum morning and night and with my AALS. Three nights a week, use Bright-I. Desert Essence mineral sunscreen and facial exercise when I have time.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
I havnt tried this but...does anyone here use a tinted moisturizer then MMU?........i stopped using tinted moisturizer because even though it was nice....i have kind of uneven skintone......like my cheeks are the lightest....my forehead is a slightly darker tone....and now i have some darker tone around mouth area...which gives a shadow appearance....so you see if i use tinted moisturizer i look like foundation gone wrong lol.......now at the moment im trialing mineral makeup which is kind of better....but i want that dewy look too Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Simran, I've spent years trying to find the perfect foundation for my mature skin, and I finally found it - Lancome Renergie lift. It provides just the right amount of coverage to even out my skin discolorations without being so heavy that it looks like a mask. It is moisture-rich and lasts all day. If you visit the Lancome counter they will give you alittle sample to try. Only problem for me is that their colors are a little to yellow for my taste but the performance is worth it.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
I third the tinted moisturizer suggestion. I love Laura Mercier's--it has a little more coverage than most TMs, but the finish is wonderfully dewy and fresh.

Another thing you could do is apply your foundation with a damp makeup sponge, which will thin it out and give you some transparency--what makes you look old is the dulling effect of the makeup covering up the natural 'shine' and texture of your skin.

Or: I'd only cover what needs to be covered (you usually don't need to put foundation everywhere), use a light dusting of powder (especially something with a little 'glow' to it, like L'Oreal's Translucide) and use a facial mist to mist your face. This last step sets the makeup and takes away the dry, powdery look.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Determined...I also like Renergie! I have a very pale one that I use in winter. It is similar to Age Rewind in consistency and doesn't seem to cake or look thick even though it gives remarkably good coverage. I bought a HUGE bottle of it on eBay for less than half the price of the smaller bottles you buy at the counter. I like the fact it contains a sunscreen, although I always wear one under it. I agree that the colours are very yellow but I have a yellow caste to my skin anyway. They wouldn't suit a pinkish skin for sure. I'd actually forgotten I had this one (TOO MUCH MAKEUP!!! Rolling Eyes ) as I have a bit of a tan at the moment and am using my darker foundation. Not sure how I got this tan through a sunscreen, but I definitely have one. Think

www.middle-ageless.com Born in 1952. Blonde, very good skin. No noticeable wrinkling. Use AgeOff serum morning and night and with my AALS. Three nights a week, use Bright-I. Desert Essence mineral sunscreen and facial exercise when I have time.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
Determined...I also like Renergie! I have a very pale one that I use in winter. It is similar to Age Rewind in consistency and doesn't seem to cake or look thick even though it gives remarkably good coverage. I bought a HUGE bottle of it on eBay for less than half the price of the smaller bottles you buy at the counter. I like the fact it contains a sunscreen, although I always wear one under it. I agree that the colours are very yellow but I have a yellow caste to my skin anyway. They wouldn't suit a pinkish skin for sure. I'd actually forgotten I had this one (TOO MUCH MAKEUP!!! Rolling Eyes ) as I have a bit of a tan at the moment and am using my darker foundation. Not sure how I got this tan through a sunscreen, but I definitely have one. Think

I also like the Lamcome Renergie. Another foundation that I happened upon is by Signature A from HSN(homeshopping network). I have never liked any of the signature A products until I tried this and I was shocked at how it made my skin look. It is extremely light yet covers, I have ever had anything on my face that feels this way. I think it is available on ebay as well as HSN(shades are limited) but it matches different complexions very well(several friends use it). This is the description:
.6 oz. Rapid Transport C Infused Aerated Breathable Makeup - our whipped, airy, mousse-like formula allows skin to breathe. This silicone-rich makeup offers a lightweight, sheer feel with incredible coverage for an even, all-over finish. The no drag, error-free, quick-blend application provides professional-looking coverage
Toby

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:19 am      Reply with quote
Nijey wrote:
I third the tinted moisturizer suggestion. I love Laura Mercier's--it has a little more coverage than most TMs, but the finish is wonderfully dewy and fresh.

Another thing you could do is apply your foundation with a damp makeup sponge, which will thin it out and give you some transparency--what makes you look old is the dulling effect of the makeup covering up the natural 'shine' and texture of your skin.

Or: I'd only cover what needs to be covered (you usually don't need to put foundation everywhere), use a light dusting of powder (especially something with a little 'glow' to it, like L'Oreal's Translucide) and use a facial mist to mist your face. This last step sets the makeup and takes away the dry, powdery look.

Oh thats so it...Its the natural shine I miss. You know the transparency of clear skin. Thanks ladies for all your suggestions and I will certainly be looking into them. Very Happy
racheli
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:15 am      Reply with quote
i'd also like to suggest the sisley TRANSMAT make up (black tube).. besides their TINTED MOISTURIZER, which is also very good...

the TRANSMAT make up is more rich in its texture than their (most famous) "phyto teint eclat" make up (the glass bottle)... it stays all day, doesnt emphasize or settle in wrinkles, and has a very high coverage...

=> so: Sisley Transmat with some powder on top is imo a good recommendation for wrinkled skin...
ceca01
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:54 am      Reply with quote
I really liked Clinique's foundations until I've started using mineral make up. I'd go and see a beautician at a department store and tell them about your problem. They will be the best pick to recommend you something. And if you don't like it once they put it on your face you don't have to buy it. This way if you go and buy all these different foundations it is a very big waste of money.

Good luck!
nha_fiz
5% products discount

Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:00 am      Reply with quote
i'm am asian in early 20's ..but i dont know which foundation suitable for my oily skin...ithought many asian has yellow based skin? is it true? i need suggestion on how to pick the right one

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
I love amazing cosmetics' velvet powder foundation--it definitely makes the skin look very dewy and bright and fresh. It's also pretty sheer and if you spritz water on it after application it leaves a dewy sheen as opposed to a powdery look.
Of course, TM is great too. Jane Iredale's Dream Tint is really nice and sheer; as is Organic Glam's.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
nha_fiz
5% products discount

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
how bout lumiere mineral cosmetic? i heard quite good comments on that

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
I find Armani luminous silk great for dry skin. As we all know, you need to apply it with a brush and take your time to get a good finish. I also sometimes mix a luminescent primer with the foundation. A lot of the cosmetic houses make these now. Another thing that helps me look "unmade up" and more natural and dewy is using the Mac brush 187 duo fibre brush after I have put on all my make up (including powder occasionally). You use this brush by dabbing the face with the tips of the fibres and it leaves a great finish.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:18 am      Reply with quote
There are some great new foundations out there for older skin..BTW I remember when I WANTED my skin to look as matte as possible. Those years are gone!

Hourglass foundation: great finish, slightly dewy during the day but not oily..I'm still oily so I can't use foundations for dry skin. Hate the smell though. Contains matrixyl (not much I'm sure)

Trish McEvoy has a new anti aging foundation out with sheer/natural coverage that's been getting raves on MUA. This one I haven't tried but hope to one day.It's called treatment foundation.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:47 am      Reply with quote
I like Chanel Vitalumiere--it leaves a lovely dewy look with medium coverage. Applied with a skunk brush like the MAC 187, it doesn't settle into fine lines.
babyb
5% products discount

Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
I started using the Maybelline Age Rewind maybe a month ago when I got it BOGO at Walgreen's. I love that it is a cream to powder and it is sooo easy to apply with my fingers! I find that it wears well all day for me, and I have combo skin!
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
The new foundations that are labeled for making aging skin look younger have reflective beads in them to catch light and throw it back. They create an optical illusion of glow and wrinkle-free skin. I don't know what the brands are. I read the article about the beads.

I'm getting great effects with Bare Minerals over Neutrogena sunscreen.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
chinachatters? are you using the new neutrogena sunscream SPF 75+ with helioplex? If so how are you finding it and in terms of whitecast?. Does it protect well from tanning?

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:06 am      Reply with quote
strongly recommand Chantecaille future skin, moisture enough and always brings natural,healthy shinning tone
SOLARTINA
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
That means the foundation you choose is not suitable for you skin I think.
My choice is Bobbi Brown's cream compact makeup, it's quiet natural and moist,concealer effect is also pretty good. You can have a try.
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
well .it depends on how u use the foundation stuff.if u donot want the face looks too flat ,u may use two different color foundations. brighten for the T zone ,and bit of dark color srounding the face ,that may help with the basic foundation application. moreover, for the powder progress. i would say ,just a little bit loose poder is fine for the whole face. donot apply too much
System
Automatic Message
Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Gatineau Clear & Perfect Purifying Powder Emulsion (50 ml / 1.6 floz) Babor ScenTao of Asia Shower Milk (200 ml / 7.25 oz) Carita Progressif Perfect Cream for Body New Generation Complete Care (200 ml / 6.7 floz)