Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
LED lights accutane retin A
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
katebargold
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
My son has acne and I had a custom LED light made by V. All is going well but now the derm has started him on Retin gel every second day for the rednees and now my son has decided not to use the light.
What are your thoughts on retin a and LED's?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
I myself use Retin-A and the LED lights for anti-ageing. But trying to get a teen-age guy to use something for his face might be like leading the horse to the trough....

The LED actually helps relieve the irritation the Retin-A causes for me. I use the Retin-A after the LED treatment, not before, of course.

If he is also on Accutane, I'm not sure about the LED use, though. What did the derm think?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply Fawnie. Well the derm had never heard of LED's Rolling Eyes so he looked quite incredulous when I asked.
He actually stopped using the retin a. It just made his face too red.
The lights are working well to reduce the redness but he not that 'committed' to using them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Ah that's such a shame about Retin-A - the redness. I was always having that problem too and giving up on it til I backed way down to Retin-A Micro 0.04% strength and started using it every other day along with various oils (squalane currently keeps the flakies away) afterward.

Did the derm want to try a lower strength to see if that would help the redness? Another good moisturizer for oily skin that is dehydrated is La Roche-Posay Effaclar. It doesn't aggravate acne at all. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
katebargold wrote:
My son has acne and I had a custom LED light made by V. All is going well but now the derm has started him on Retin gel every second day for the rednees and now my son has decided not to use the light.
What are your thoughts on retin a and LED's?

If he decided to do both, use the LED anytime prior to the 'nightly' application of RA.

Artificial light and UV rays de-activate Retin-A..

Renova might be a better option for your son, which is gentler, and lessens irritation.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
katebargold
I'm surprised your derm didn't prescribed Retin A Micro. It has a timed release mechanism and is less irritating than the other retinoids. It is also for acne, where the Renova is for wrinkles. Renova is too emolliant for acnetic skin and would not help there.

The Micro version of Retin A has a higher pH which also lends itself to less irritation, along w/ the timed release. Ask for that Rx for your son (and save the reg Retin A for yourself!!)

BTW - your derm should have given your son some samples of all this B4 prescribing it. I recently switched to the Micro (for acne/anti-aging) and my derm gave me a good months worth of both the .10 and the .04. The Micro also may not need the 20 minutes wait time after cleansing since it's pH is higher. The wait time is needed for the other retinoids to lessen irritation and teenage boys are not going to follow those directions.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Fawnie and Kassy A. It was actually the Retin Micro he was on. He is not supposed to be on it but my husband is MD and had some patient that had used it while on Roaccutane so my son pleaded with him to give him some as he was wanting to get results quikcer. Our Derm agreed but in the end it was too drying.
He is finally responding to the Roaccutane and is using the lights.
The main problem now is the deep fissures and cracks in his lips. He is using a stick of Blisterex for men daily but it still is very unsightly and painful. He refuses to use EA 8 hour cream at night which I think is brilliant.
Compliance is the hardest thing thought for a boy this age.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
katebargold wrote:
The main problem now is the deep fissures and cracks in his lips. .
I used Aquaphor for my dry lips when I was on Accutane. It's wonderful and I always have some on hand now (even tho I use L2K). It's quite good at attacking the dry lip thing. You can find small tubes of it that are pocket size at the pharmacies or your derm might have samples (mine always did - buckets of them in the waiting room)

Quote:
Compliance is the hardest thing though for a boy this age.
So true, so true!!

Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |