Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Low level laser for hair regrowth
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I'm jealous Yubs....very very jealous. My Lasermax seems nothing next to your getup Sad

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
dlynne9
5% products discount

Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered the Laser Helmet with 300 diodes from OMG a couple of weeks ago, and just learned that shipment should be this weekend!. So, Yups, I will be joining you. I am looking forward to having a fuller head of hair.
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
mountain--it's a "get up" all right. Laughing One thing I love about OMG is he has such a great sense of humor about hair loss and geekery in general...which you have to if you're gonna wear one of these things!

A lot of things went into the decision to purchase the helmet vs. the Lasermax, and $$$ was a big factor. For me, my hair loss a top priority rather than simply a vanity issue, since the thinning of my hair has affected every area of my life by profoundly affecting my mental health. So when I found out about the really high diode count helmets and the results the guys were getting from them I HAD to make room in my budget for one, period. But not everyone feels about hair loss like that so the helmet isn't for everyone. I spent double on my laser hat what you spent on the Lasermax, if that makes you feel any better. But what I spent with OMG is not NEARLY what a commercial manufacturer would charge for so many diodes, even if the device looked a little sleeker, so I consider the Messiah Helmet to be a fantastic value. The same can be said for your Lasermax.

dlynne9--did you take any before pictures? Are you going to track your progress? It will be really interesting to see how us girls respond to these super-juiced laser treatments. As far as I know we're the first two "chicks" to have them. Wink Keep in touch!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
First off, a 2x HAY-YOOJ Laughing thanks to bethany for putting these pictures up in her photo account so I could post them here!

You are very welcome!! And you'll be glad to know that I put them in your own private album so that everyone on the entire internet cannot access them, lol. If the pic of you wearing the helmet leaks and gets world-wide visibility, it will NOT be my fault! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I'm reporting in with an update after using my LaserMax with 90 lasers for one month.

Usage:
- I have been using it 2-3x a week for 20-30 mins each time

Experience:
- It is very easy to use...I can actually position it over my head while I am typing or reading.
- After a treatment, my scalp feels warm and tingly for some time. It gets VERY close to your head, and I really have a hard time thinking that a helmet will be any better.
- I wish the unit had a more stable base because it often tips over if I hit it with my chair. But I am going to anchor a weight to the bottom and all will be good. Very Happy

Results:
- After about 2 weeks, my ongoing shedding decreased significantly.
- At about a month I saw a very significant number of fine new hairs. Shock The true test will be whether or not they develop into longer, thicker, healthy hair.

Tips for Assessing New Hair Growth:
- The easiest way to do this is to first wash your hair and apply NO product of any kind. (they make hairs stick together)
- Once your hair is FULLY dry (as in many hours of being dry), lift up a small section of hair on the top of your head and lightly tug 3 or 4 times.
- You will then hopefully see new little hairs separate out right at the scalp...my sister used to own a hair salon and taught me that years ago.

Feelings so Far:
- At this point I am feeling very positive,and am actually NOT going to reorder my sacred Viviscal for the first time since the early 90's. Shock
- But the proof is in the long-term growth and hair retention....I will provide another update at 3 months, or earlier if results continue to to be impressive.

http://www.thelasermax.com/index.php

I am about a week short of 2 full months of usage, but I had to share an interim update....

I was closely inspecting my hair today and was FLOORED by the large number of new hairs that are sprouting from my scalp...in areas where I hadn't even realized it had been thinning! Shock Shock Shock

Having dealt with thinning hair since the early 90's and tried a ton of options out there, I can definitely say that NOTHING has produced this much new hair growth for me (or as quickly) as the LaserMax has. If this trend continues and they develop into healthy, mature hairs, I will be ELATED.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to mention this above, but it is a rather key observation....

I have what I call a Yin-Yang head....I am 90% gray (ok, WHITE) from my ears forward. The gray is creeping down the back slowly, but the grays in the front started when I was 14. Needless to say, I color my hair so that both halves match. Very Happy

However, many of the new hairs growing back in the front/top of my head are NOT coming in white....they match the non-gray hair in the very back of my head. Shock We'll see what the proportion of gray to non-gray ends up being over time.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
However, many of the new hairs growing back in the front/top of my head are NOT coming in white....they match the non-gray hair in the very back of my head.

Holy Cow Surprised . That's fantastic Bethany!
I think I am going to have to put a laser helmut on my list now too. Please keep us updated.

Linda
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Bethay are you still using it on your face 3 min. a week?
if so where did you get information about using it on the skin?
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Bethay are you still using it on your face 3 min. a week?
if so where did you get information about using it on the skin?
Toby

Toby, I never actually started using it on my skin....every time I remember, I have just put actives on or something stupid like that.

And I did not find anything that had recommendations for skin exposure timing.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Dazed wrote:
Bethany, I am really leaning towards the LaserMax 150. I can't wrap my brain around the concept that unfocused is better than focused. I didn't know you could use LaserMax on your face. How long are you doing it for, and what kind of protection are you using for your eyes? If I understand correctly, using it too long is worse than using it too short.

I am going to try it for 3 mins once a week after I purchase some goggles...my pair went with my ProLight when I sold it.
berrygrower

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
We ordered a 90 lasermax for my husband and his mom to share. I bet I get myself under there as well!!! Cool
Toby

I just discovered this thread with this info...how is it going with your experience? It has been a few months for you....
berrygrower

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Oh boy...You guys are killin' me...I want it all!! So I bought the LaserMax yesterday. Now I'm rolling my face with needles, lasering my head, contorting my face with exercises, and who knows what I'm going to be doing tomorrow. Eh? Anyway, I purchased the 75, but he told me he sent me the 90 for the same price. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Also, I may have a handheld HairMaxx Laser Comb for sale. PM me if interested (its the original unit that Dateline tested in their hair growth episode.)

I saw that you ordered it. I have been asking people how it has been going with that. You had the handheld one first? I was actually online looking at those and stumbled on these blogs about the "real" lasers....did you use the handheld at all or what was your experience with that? probably not good, since you are selling it?
rbrooks

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
I also ordered the Laser Helmet with 400 diodes from OMG and it just shipped today.
hahaqj
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I'm jealous Yubs....very very jealous. My Lasermax seems nothing next to your getup Sad

hi mountaingirl:

how about the result of your lasermax?
I try to buy it for my friend as a big surprise gift.
hahaqj
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
mountain--it's a "get up" all right. Laughing One thing I love about OMG is he has such a great sense of humor about hair loss and geekery in general...which you have to if you're gonna wear one of these things!

A lot of things went into the decision to purchase the helmet vs. the Lasermax, and $$$ was a big factor. For me, my hair loss a top priority rather than simply a vanity issue, since the thinning of my hair has affected every area of my life by profoundly affecting my mental health. So when I found out about the really high diode count helmets and the results the guys were getting from them I HAD to make room in my budget for one, period. But not everyone feels about hair loss like that so the helmet isn't for everyone. I spent double on my laser hat what you spent on the Lasermax, if that makes you feel any better. But what I spent with OMG is not NEARLY what a commercial manufacturer would charge for so many diodes, even if the device looked a little sleeker, so I consider the Messiah Helmet to be a fantastic value. The same can be said for your Lasermax.

dlynne9--did you take any before pictures? Are you going to track your progress? It will be really interesting to see how us girls respond to these super-juiced laser treatments. As far as I know we're the first two "chicks" to have them. Wink Keep in touch!

your device looks very cool on your head. Smile
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, hahaqj! It still tickles me when I put it on. I laughed looking at the picture again just now. Laughing

I actually haven't been able to use it for a few weeks because I had to go out of town for a family emergency, but plan to start lasering again tomorrow morning. I mention this because the three-week hiatus will delay a useful progress report. Not to mention I've been fairly well stressed out and have noticed a definite increase in shedding. Not terrible, but enough. Sad

BTW, all you LLLT users, the guys over at regrowth.com are now touting emu oil as the new great pre-lasering topical. I personally won't put emu (or anything) on immediately before lasering because I'm afraid it will gunk up my diodes and the foam of my helmet over time, but that's because it's all so close to my head and that's just me. According to the regrowth guys with OMG helmets like mine (including OMG himself) it works really well.

Just FYI.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:28 am      Reply with quote
I'm really not sure how much growth I'm getting from the my Lasermax...I just can't tell and have a really hard time being objective. I'm very private about this hair loss thing (except on this forum) so I don't have anyone to ask to examine my scalp to see if there is new growth. Mirrors are tricky and my camera won't take good close ups. I'm stilling waiting for my 90 diode unit from Jeff, as originally promised. I'm using a 75. Some days I think, "yeah, yeah, its filling in some..." then other days I'm aghast at how thin my hair is in places.

hahaqj wrote:
hi mountaingirl:

how about the result of your lasermax?
I try to buy it for my friend as a big surprise gift.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Mountaingirl,
When did you start using the device? I was thinking it would be about six months before any real difference can be seen. I think Bethany mentioned some growth....maybe she will chime in and share.
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
BTW, all you LLLT users, the guys over at regrowth.com are now touting emu oil as the new great pre-lasering topical. I personally won't put emu (or anything) on immediately before lasering because I'm afraid it will gunk up my diodes and the foam of my helmet over time, but that's because it's all so close to my head and that's just me. According to the regrowth guys with OMG helmets like mine (including OMG himself) it works really well.

Just FYI.

Emu oil has 2 benefits for hair growth...it has been proven to reactivate hair follicules that are in a dormant state, plus it is a penetrating oil so it will help any topical penetrate better. (ex: put emu oil on over a niacinamide scalp treatment tp increase absorption)

However, by putting emu oil on before using the laser, you run the risk of reflecting the light (and the energy) away from the scalp. So any "enhanced results" that they might be seeing is most likely due to the emu by itself...not from the laser.

I would recommend using the laser on a clean, topical-free scalp like the LaserMax instructions recommend (oh wait, men DON'T read instructions, do they?), and then use the emu oil AFTER to penetrate any scalp topicals. Then you can get double the results of the boys. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I'm really not sure how much growth I'm getting from the my Lasermax...I just can't tell and have a really hard time being objective. I'm very private about this hair loss thing (except on this forum) so I don't have anyone to ask to examine my scalp to see if there is new growth. Mirrors are tricky and my camera won't take good close ups. I'm stilling waiting for my 90 diode unit from Jeff, as originally promised. I'm using a 75. Some days I think, "yeah, yeah, its filling in some..." then other days I'm aghast at how thin my hair is in places.

How often are you using it? I use mine a couple of times a week (max) and have had major regrowth which is VERY obvious...some parts of my hair literally look fuzzy do to all the new, short hairs. Confused (but I am NOT complaining!).

Check out my instructions earlier in the thread on how to check for new growth. If you still do not see any, I would recommend the following:

1. Make sure you are not using the LaserMax too frequently, or too long per session...that could cause your hair follicules to stop responding. If you suspect that you have been overdoing it, take a month off and start back at 2-3x a week for 20-30 mins per session.

2. Add a scalp topical a couple of times a week...I like and rotate:

- Viviscal Scalp Lotion - you don't have to wash your hair the next morning after this one, and it is now carried at Target onlinehttp://www.target.com/Viviscal-Scalp-Lotion-75-mL/dp/B0019W0EYU/ref=sc_ri_2?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=0QTGJ4FX249F2EDY8JHE&pf_rd_p=471801991&pf_rd_i=B0019VUDWE&pf_rd_s=bottom-11&pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&pf_rd_t=201

- Fekkai MORE Nighttime Follicle Boosting Treatment - rather perfumey, and you will need to wash your hair the next morning. This contains niacin...I am wondering if you could use a DIY niacin (which doesn't penetrate well) followed by emu to increase the penetration at a much cheaper cost?
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P171336&categoryId=

- Emu oil by itself to stimulate hair follicles, or on top of any of the topicals above to also increase penetration.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Bethany,
My mother-in-law is a once a week to the beauty salon person. I think putting serum on her scalp would ruin her football helmet hairdo Laughing
Do you have any suggestions for her as she uses the laxermax 90?
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Bethany,
My mother-in-law is a once a week to the beauty salon person. I think putting serum on her scalp would ruin her football helmet hairdo Laughing
Do you have any suggestions for her as she uses the laxermax 90?
Toby

LMAO...I can totally see that sitting under the LaserMax! Laughing

Would she consider washing it herself (gasp!) the night before her weekly trip to the salon, and then using the laser followed by a topical? Then she can book an AM appt and sneak in with giant celebrity sunglasses and a kerchief on. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:23 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Quote:
However, by putting emu oil on before using the laser, you run the risk of reflecting the light (and the energy) away from the scalp. So any "enhanced results" that they might be seeing is most likely due to the emu by itself...not from the laser.

I would recommend using the laser on a clean, topical-free scalp like the LaserMax instructions recommend (oh wait, men DON'T read instructions, do they?), and then use the emu oil AFTER to penetrate any scalp topicals. Then you can get double the results of the boys.

Well, y'know, OMG and some of the other guys over there have been using lasers on their heads for well over a year. They've pretty much "refined" LLLT for hair in the same way that the gals here on this forum "refined" dermaroller use...by real-life trial and error, not necessarily by dogmatically following conventional wisdom. They try things, they innovate, and what doesn't work they toss. What's funny to me is that "the boys" seem to go through the same kind of lemming cycles and flurries of activity with this or that new technique or product that "the chicks" do here on EDS. We're really not that different! Laughing And I respect what they say about LLLT for hair in the same way that I respect a lot of the knowledge on this forum, where we often don't kowtow to conventional wisdom but where we innovate and try all ways, then stick with what what we know to work.

So, what they're saying about emu oil is that they're finding that it does not reflect the light (as long as they don't gob it on)...rather, it seems that emu oil and lasers work synergistically. When used simultaneously, emu enhances the benefits of lasers and vice-versa.

I'm not necessarily advocating this, because I still believe the emu oil residue will occlude the lasers eventually, as well as possibly degrade the foam of the helmet (foam degradation not being a problem with Lasermax), but just passing it on for anyone who might be interested. I've learned a lot and gotten turned on to a lot of interesting stuff re: hairloss by hanging over at the boy's forum, and am fixin' to try some new things that I will post here if they net me results.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Mountaingirl,
When did you start using the device? I was thinking it would be about six months before any real difference can be seen. I think Bethany mentioned some growth....maybe she will chime in and share.
Toby

Ok...I think I started around 3 months ago. I use the Lasermax every other day for no more than 20 minutes. I have very curly (long) hair so while I can see some short curly hair frizzing up on top, I can't be sure its not hair that resulted from breakage. For the last two days, I've had my hair saturated in Sesame Oil as a conditioning treatment. When I shampooed it out this morning,(my first shampoo in 3 wks,) I was floored by the amount of hair in the tub! LOTS. But at least my hair looks good today...((sigh))

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
So, what they're saying about emu oil is that they're finding that it does not reflect the light (as long as they don't gob it on)...rather, it seems that emu oil and lasers work synergistically. When used simultaneously, emu enhances the benefits of lasers and vice-versa.

I'm wondering how they tested this, since they would need to only make one change at a time for at least month (and usually far more) since it would take that long to see the improvements. And aren't many of them using topicals? There is definitely medical research showing proven synergy between emu and other topical penetration.

I'm a little skeptical of some of their conclusions after the laser diode and taking off the cap thing, but please keep us informed of their trials...we can always listen, learn, and pick what we each want to try. And when it comes to hair, most of us will try about anything! Very Happy

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |