Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Creme de la Mer contains Mineral Oil and Petrolatum????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skin Care Junky
5% products discount

Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Smile

While some people say petrolatum and mineral oil are great for the skin, I have found using products that contains them breaks me out something awful. There are so many great products out there that don't contain these inexpensive fillers that I don't understand why some companies continue using them. Plus, there is some debate about whether using an occlusive product actually benefits the skin or is just trapping the dirt pores naturally need to rid themselves of. Regardless, I cannot use products containing those ingredients no matter how much I like the product. And I think Creme de La Mer is a nice enough cream, it just doesn't work for me.

Pippi_Plum wrote:
I just found the ingredients to Creme de la Mer and I am confused.
I thought these ingredients were bad for the skin?
At 130 dollars an ounce I expected more.
So is Vaseline okay to use on the face? Aren't Petrolatum and Vaseline the same thing?
Help!!!

Pip Shock

Creme de la Mer
• Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum): emollient
• Petrolatum: occlusive
• Glycerin: humectant
• Isohexadecane: thickening agent and emulsifier
• Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina): commonly used thickening agent
• Lanolin Alcohol: emollient, very closely resembles your skin's natural oils
• Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil: emolllient, can be irritating to those with very sensitive skin
• Magnesium Sulfate
• Paraffin: occlusive
• Decyl Oleate: emollient
• Aluminum Distearate: emulsifier
• Octyldodecanol: emulsifier with emollient properties
• Citric Acid: used to adjust the pH
• Magnesium Stearate: thickening agent
• Panthenol: humectant
• 6 Fragrances are listed individually here
• Methylchloroisothiazolinone: preservative
• Methylisothiazolinone: preservative
• Alcohol Denat: Denaturized alcohol
• Fragrance
Skin Care Junky
5% products discount

Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Creme de La Mer has a Gel version that doesn't have mineral oil or petrolatum in it. It also contains peptides.
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jojoba Esters perform better as an occlusive agent than even petrolatum which is the industry standard (at least at this point). And, Jojoba Esters are extremely similar to the wax esters in your natural skin sebum. Therefore, Jojoba Esters doesn't sit on the surface and block your skin and pores like a sheet of saran wrap, which petrolatum does. Jojoba Esters sinks in and retains moisture naturally at the skin surface.

After looking at the ingredients list of Creme de la Mer, I'd be amazed if anyone paid $1.30 an ounce let alone being duped into paying the outrageous amount of $130.00 per Ounce! This company has got to be laughing all the way to the bank. That has to be the most unexciting list of ingredients I've ever seen. And with petrolatum, mineral oil, parafin wax, and lanolin in it....probably the cheapest costing, worst sources of ingredients you can use.

I'll be honest with you, anyone who buys this product is completely wasting their money...
period...

John

5% products discount

Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Science and knowledge have changed in the last 20 years, why would you want to put something with so many known problems on your face? It is scary to learn about ingredients, and there is so much information out there it is confusing! I switched to the NaturDerm products to get away from petroleum, silicones and parbens. I wanted anti aging, why spend your money on something that won't give you that edge! My skin is the healthiest ever, and I look years younger! The Chrysalyx alone does what a whole drawer of the others couldn't do. Use it with the Epidermx II and your face is tight and glowy! It is on EDS under Natural!
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of famous products contain Mineral Oil, such as Sisley Ecological Compound. Some natural brands like Dermalogica declare no Mineral Oil.
jandarling
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Creme De La Mer contains mineral oil in small quantity, u can also use vaseline on your skin, vaseline is multi-functional, check your skin for any signs that it's not adapting well to the vaseline.
cacipony
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:17 am      Reply with quote
i was considering of purchasing la mer and now im thinking twice.

gosh~ ingredients are so confusing.

what do u guys think of clarins or clinique anti-agieng pdts?

and does la mer help with anti ageing?
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Just the name of that product makes me think its a phony! I think its another overated products that falls into the phony categary with Voss who produces the worst products of all:Hylexin, Strivectin, and amatokin
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Having been someone who was "duped" into "wasting" their money and trying it, I did really enjoy it and I had read great things about it. I have friends who use it and love it and their skin is very soft. To them, it is worth the money and a little does go a VERY long way. So in that way, compared with products that you use a lot more of but is cheaper, it can cost about the same.
For the first 3-4 weeks it worked well and I loved the way my skin looked and felt. (But I love Aquaphor as well and I do use that). Then the cysts broke out so I quit using it and returned it. I did get a full refund so I was happy. I have tried just using Jojoba and it did nothing. I have a bottle sitting in my cabinet that i use on my legs from time to time.
I have had just as bad of results with products that were given out to be tested or were free, costs aside.
The bottom line is that different ingredients work for different skin types and what works for some won't work for all. I have to try it myself at give it a few weeks (unless I have an immediate reaction) to give a product a fair shake.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:21 am      Reply with quote
I love CDLM and I don't love Vaseline. They are not the same. I break out when I use Vaseline and I don't with CDLM. Vaseline does nothing to my face. It sits on top and makes everything look blah. CDLM superbly moisturizes my skin and calms irritations and sensitivities. I think there is a synergistic effect among all of the ingredients in CDLM that does wonderful things to the face that plain old Vaseline does not do.

CDLM is not for everyone. It is very rich. However, for those of us who from time to time need a richer moisturizer or suffer from some sort of sensitivity CDLM is can be a miracle worker.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
And that is why I had bought it, those like you that have used it with success. I have several samples left and if I only use it sparingly every once in a while when my skin is really dry it does perk it up.
My derm is a huge fan and several of the women in her office use and love it. If it didn't have "something" it offered, it would not have such a huge fan base and those that are willing to shell out the money for this product. That's why they are able to charge and get that amount.
I do resent the term being "duped" into buying it as that implies my ignorance as a consumer.
But in a way, we all have to be "convinced" to buy a product, by marketing, recommendations, testimonials, etc., ESPECIALLY those that don't have that fan base or customer satisfaction to rely on. Rolling Eyes

5% products discount

Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with some that CDLM is a good moisturizer but the ingredients are not worth the price tag. I was using it before I learned about reading ingredients and understanding the high price tag doesn't always equal to quality. I also have tried the German Nivera cream. In fact I have 2 tins at home right now. IMO it's nothing like CDLM. The Nivera is a very thick and rich cream. I use it in the winter more as a foot cream, then put thick cotton socks. For face, it's way too greasy. Also only apply Nivera cream when your skin is completely dry, otherwise it's sticky and gross.
puzzle
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Now I know why it makes me break out! It works well for my mum but I hate it..
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
For the ingredients that are listed in Creme de la mer, it sure isn't worth the outrageous prices.

Petrolatum and mineral are good for skin. Its what gives product slip and moistness to skin. They are good water binders. See cosmetics cop ingredient dictionary.
scjudyb
5% products discount

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I know I'm late posting, but I just started using this on my face yesterday and have a red rash around my mouth. This is the only new thing I've used, so it must have caused it.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
scjudyb wrote:
I know I'm late posting, but I just started using this on my face yesterday and have a red rash around my mouth. This is the only new thing I've used, so it must have caused it.

For that price I personally would get a refund if it gave me a rash! Lanolin can be an allergen for many people. Not saying that's the culprit but something obviously does not agree with your skin!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
I also think that it can sometimes be a Placebo effect where we want a product to work so bad for us because we have paid $200, however after a few weeks we look in the mirror and can't see any difference.
A friend of mine uses this and swears by it, however I tried out a few sample sizes and couldn't see any difference and for the price you pay I would be expecting it to cook dinner for me and do the washing!

I do agree that not everything is for everyone and this includes our skin, so what may work for one doesn't necessarily work for another and I found my $40 moisturiser that I now use works just as good if not better. Because something costs quite a bit doesn't mean it is better than a much cheaper brand. I do think marketing companies lure consumers into the belief that if they use there high cost product over a cheaper brand that there skin is going to look like that of a supermodel and if they use something cheaper there skin just won't cut it.

Personally I go on results and not a name and some products I own cost me a couple of dollars from the chemist and are 10 times better than some expensive products I have tried. I think it also depends on an individuals skin as to whether or not a product is right for them.
I would definitely be asking for my money back if your skin has had a reaction like that scjudyb. It is disappointing when a product ups it's hype and so many individuals are let down by there claims.
scjudyb
5% products discount

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 am      Reply with quote
I am lucky in that I purchased a small trial size of this cream, so it wasn't that much money, although very expensive for what I bought.. Not lucky in the ugly red rash that has developed on my face. Too bad. I'm not sure what ingredient has caused this. I'll probably put some cortisone cream on the rash. Hope it goes away soon.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:47 am      Reply with quote
I love CDLM. I have used many jars of this product and I continue to repurchase. It is the best moisturizer for dry skin and I have tried every moisturizer on the market.It is my staple moisturizer and just does the most wonderful things to my skin. I didn't purchase this cream because of the hype or because I thought that at the price one pays for it that it should be a miracle cream. I bought it because I wanted a rich moisturizer that works and CDLM delivers. No, it is not a miracle cream. It works for some and not others but I don't think we should analyze CDLM and say it's a good cream or a bad cream or the ingredients are this or that. It depends on the person and the type of skin. CDLM is a very rich moisturizer and not everyone needs this. And, as with every cream out there one can always be sensitive or allergic to an ingredient which again doesn't mean that this ingredient is good or bad. It just depends on the person. The good thing about CDLM and all other products from La Mer is that generous samples are readily available. It is completely unnecessary to plunk down money on an expensive full size product. Get samples and see whether or not it works for you.
Divine Diva
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:55 am      Reply with quote
I agree leeleedeedee as I said in my post that not everything is for everyone and sometimes what works for one may not work for another.
I love samples and always test out a sample of a product before I commit to a full size, as I wouldn't want to waste my money on something that didn't work for me.
I'm happy that this works for you and you see good results with this but unfortunately it didn't work for my skin and that's ok because I have found wonderful products through trail and error. Smile
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Hello Divine Diva....yes, what works for one person does not work for another. I'm glad you found what works for you. I would just like to emphasize that anyone who wants to try CDLM has the option of getting quite generous samples of this product. It is the best way to see if it works for you. Those who use CDLM either love it or hate it...go figure!!
Atiyya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
Are you using something from Clarins?
Their products are very good but if you are really looking for results you have to go with higher % AHAs BHAs Vit C ...

cacipony wrote:
i was considering of purchasing la mer and now im thinking twice.

gosh~ ingredients are so confusing.

what do u guys think of clarins or clinique anti-agieng pdts?

and does la mer help with anti ageing?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
zindrella wrote:
My dermatologist (many years ago) told me to absolutely stay away from vaseline (or products with it) and to be careful about mineral oil products. Something about them contributing to build up in the pores, leading to enlarged pores, oily skin, and pimples.

I think there are lots of alternatives these days to petroleum jelly and mineral oil. All the various silicones come to mind (dimeticone, etc, etc.) So why use these old fashioned ingredients when there are better alternatives?

Probably more to the point, why use any oily product unless your skin is super dry...and usually then it is lacking in WATER, not OIL.

then how do i get the water into my skin?
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:12 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
baby wrote:
Tyra Banks slathers vaseline on her face before she sleeps. She swears it keeps her skin plump and moist. So maybe petroleum jelly isn't so bad at all?

A very old and dear friend, who just happens to be a Dermatologist, told me 20 years ago, that Vaseline and Sunscreen are all anybody needs, if they start using it while young..

He was specifically asked by a bunch of us nurses "what exactly is a miracle skin care product"? The above was his answer.. (I think if I were to ask that same question today, he would add vitamin A, C + E to that list.)

Kassy_A and baby I am on the team that says Vaseline for skin is not da debil, nor is it aging. Methinks those who tell horror stories about it usually are trying to sell you something else that costs way more than Vaseline. One of the things that made me a believer that Vaseline Petroleum Jelly was awesome was seeing how beautiful Eva Fraser's hands looked in her advanced age and Vaseline is her secret balm, along with wearing gloves for chores and extreme weather. I then tried it on my own hands which have been through years of handwashing clothes, dishes, floors...without gloves and using harsh detergents and they started to look better than they ever did when I used hand specific creams and lotions. Then also the fact that I started using it under my eyes at 20 again per Eva's recommendation and it has worked better in keeping my eyes youthful 20+ years later than any other product I ever tried (face exercise do play a part in this too, but I have friends who don't do face exercises but now use Vaseline in lieu of eye creams because they found it to be the holy grail after trying so many creams and serums in vain). And I know so many people with flawless skin who use nothing but Vaseline after a bath or shower, including my grandma who lived to her 90's. I also tried to look for any scientific reports that would scare me into not using it and found none.

Dr Carl Thornfeldt even lists petrolatum as an ingredient that may prevent pre-malignant growths in the skin and thus help in the fight to prevent skin cancer: http://ctdermpc.com/skin-answers/two-most-common-types-of-skin-cancer.html

Of course not everything will work for everyone...but that doesn't mean the ingredients are in and of themselves bad.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:23 am      Reply with quote
Salome_B wrote:
zindrella wrote:
My dermatologist (many years ago) told me to absolutely stay away from vaseline (or products with it) and to be careful about mineral oil products. Something about them contributing to build up in the pores, leading to enlarged pores, oily skin, and pimples.

I think there are lots of alternatives these days to petroleum jelly and mineral oil. All the various silicones come to mind (dimeticone, etc, etc.) So why use these old fashioned ingredients when there are better alternatives?

Probably more to the point, why use any oily product unless your skin is super dry...and usually then it is lacking in WATER, not OIL.

then how do i get the water into my skin?

Don't you get water into your skin when you wash your face?
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skinยฎ |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |