Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
everella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kims,

Thank you for your reply.
I have had 7 sessions of Aluma, which is a radio frequency therapy. The device combines suction with radio frequency energy to heat the skin. The result is a process of repair due to the body thinking it has been damaged. It's probably a similar reaction to that of the Dermaroller or equivalent. I had a session weekly to my face and neck. The higher the frequency, the better the results. To be honest, I endured level 4, level 5 being the highest. This was sheer agony! Seemingly collagen turnover is approx 4 weeks. I saw results after 3. My skin was tight on my forehead. By week 6, cheeks were tight. I had fine lined crows’ feet and these were almost gone. However, lines under the eyes did not change. In week 7, I had a different therapist apply the treatment. My therapist was away. She used a new fitting, specifically for the nasolabial lines. Two days later I noticed the line on the right of my mouth was almost gone completely! This was the most dramatic result I have ever had following any treatment. I cannot say for sure if this was as a result of this session or a combination of all. The horizontal lines on my neck are barely visible 11 weeks after my first session.

I am delighted with the results. However, I am reluctant to continue treatment monthly as I believe my skin needs to rest. I am researching other clinics atm to see what they advise. I will keep you informed.

I would recommend this treatment but I would strongly advise a complementary skincare regime.
everella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Everella,
I am just curious about the treatments you've received through your skincare professional. You mentioned Aluma (is this also known as Lumenis?) and IPL, I think. What kind of benefits did you receive with the treatments? I agree with you completely that many professionals are very happy to sell you treatments but then often lack in teaching you how to maintain your results. Are you looking to use the Obagi system as a maintenance program as such or to possibly enhance your results from the other treatments? Thanks so much! Smile

Hi Kims,

As far as I am aware, Lumenis is the name of the company that manufactures both Aluma and IPL devices.

I received 3 IPL treatments at 4-week intervals. The sessions were to treat redness and pigmentation.
Redness subsided, but 9 weeks after my third session, some redness is returning.
I had a scar on my forehead for ten years, which the IPL 'flattened' after one session. On the downside, I have lost hair along my hairline! This is minimal and I had not noticed it until the electrologist who shapes my eyebrows asked me why I had laser hair removal on my forehead! I almost cried when she showed me my hairline. I have a cowslick, which was about 1/4cm missing! OMG! My electrologist told me that she has had several clients who have had laser hair removal that has resulted in hair growth. She put this down to the body reacting to laser therapy with a protection mechanism. I have noticed 6-8 black hairs on each cheekbone where I have had IPL applied.

I have not been to see my laser therapist since and am preparing myself to speak with her. Hmmm. I despise confrontation. Perhaps, I am overreacting! Perhaps there is a logical explanation.

As a side note, I can sincerely say, I have never felt pain like IPL!

I am unsure whether I would recommend IPL as redness is returning. However, this may be due to other factors, stress at work, diet, the Irish heat wave!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everalla,
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences. Aluma sounds really interesting; I'll have to look into it. I've also had a series of IPL treatments a few years ago. My results were so-so and most of my pigmentation problems returned since I didn't follow through with a good skin care routine. I'm primarily doing Obagi to hopefully correct some problems and then I'm looking into laser resurfacing in the late winter. I'll just have to see how successful I am with Obagi.

At this point, I'm finishing my 8th week. Half the time I think I'm improving and the other half, I think my skin looks worse than ever! Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Everalla,
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences. Aluma sounds really interesting; I'll have to look into it. I've also had a series of IPL treatments a few years ago. My results were so-so and most of my pigmentation problems returned since I didn't follow through with a good skin care routine. I'm primarily doing Obagi to hopefully correct some problems and then I'm looking into laser resurfacing in the late winter. I'll just have to see how successful I am with Obagi.

At this point, I'm finishing my 8th week. Half the time I think I'm improving and the other half, I think my skin looks worse than ever! Confused

Hi Kims,
Thank you again. From the sounds of the Obagi regime, it takes time and patience, but it's worth it in the end. I think it's the next step for me. Do I need to purchase all the products in the Nu Derm range. I have pores in the T zone and dehydration on the rest of my face. I have read elsewhere that tretinoin is required. This is not on sale on EDS site. Where can I purchase it? Do I need to use an additional Retin A gel?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everella,
I purchased the entire kit of the Obagi Nuderm System. I'm using the normal/oily kit but they also have one for dry skin as well. I know people have sometimes purchased a few of the Nuderm products but I wanted to do the entire system as their protocol states.

I believe that you do need to purchase Retin A as it is integral to the system and will help you get the best results,

You can purchase the kits here at EDS but you'll have to get the Retin A elsewhere as it is a prescription product. I asked my plastic surgeon for a prescription. I started out with 0.025% and then moved up to 0.05%.

I'm just starting my 10th week. Let me know what you decide to do. There's a lot of people on this forum who are quite knowledgeable on the Obagi system and will be quite helpful (and encouraging Smile )

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kims, I am on my 10th week also. What changes have you noticed so far? I spoke to Riley girl about redness and I have now been using the exfoderm every other day and it seems to be helping. My skin doesn't seem to be as oily also. Just wondering how you were doing.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Vanessa! I was just thinking about you! Well, first of all, I think we should congratulate ourselves on making it this far! Smile Smile I never thought that a skincare regime could have so many ups and downs. It's funny that your redness has subsided, and mine for whatever reason is back in full force this week! My skin is also very tight feeling and looking right now. I wonder if I'm on the verge of having the peelies again?? It's almost as if my skin looks like it's being pulled on. I may take it easy with the products for a few days...

That being said, I do believe my skin is becoming much healthier as a result of Obagi. My next appointment with my esthetician is July 6 and it's always good to get her opinion.

I think most of my hyperpigmentation has faded but I still have these strange little red marks on one cheek and around my hairline. Not sure what that is?? Let's just keep up the good work. No doubt we'll make it to the full 18 weeks at this point. But you know, without the help, guidance, and support of this forum; I'm not sure I would've on my own!

I seriously don't think the Obagi system can be taken on completely on your own.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
Just spent some time perusing some of the older Obagi threads and came across the perfect description of how my face looks and feels at the moment: Shrink-wrapped!! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kims, Shrink wrapped that is a good one Very Happy . I do have a reddish / new peelie patch on my jaw line. Maybe there is some sun damage there too. My brown spots have faded tremendously. Even though my husband says I look like a red face sometimes. Have you had to reorder your products yet? I haven't yet. I will be needing more toner soon. I only had 2 travel sizes. Talk to you soon.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Vanessa, I've had to reorder Clear and I'm out of Toner as well. Right now, I'm using witch hazel. I'll probably need to reorder the rest of the products (with the exception of the cleanser) in the next few weeks. I know some people sub out some of the Nuderm products, but I know it's all supposed to work together; so I'm a bit hesitant to do that. So, with the exception of Clear and the toner, it seems like everything's going to last about 12 weeks. I hope that's on par!

By the way: peeling like crazy today!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:21 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Right now, I'm using witch hazel.

Hey, kims. It is just fine to only use witch hazel for the toner. It will not affect your outcome. That is what a lot of us "old timers" did.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've had to reorder the Clear and Toner. Also, I'm just about to finish my first bottle of Exfoderm. I have the travel size set for stand in. I believe today is my ten week mark. I stopped peeling for a short bit, but am back to it. I didn't think I was very red anymore until someone recently asked about it. I'm not getting any monthly hormonal acne which is a very nice bonus!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Coleen, Good to hear from you!! I seem to get redder as the day goes by -- I'll see myself in a mirror in late afternoon and think "Whoaa!! What happened here??" I should be used to it by now! I'm peeling a lot again all of a sudden and my face stings when I've applied the products the last few days. Don't know what I'm doing differently -- guess I'm going through another stage!

Thanks again, Rileygirl. I thought witch hazel would be ok so I'll refrain from buying the Obagi toner. That'll save a few $$.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, I will try it.
maranza

Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the Obagi Nu Derm program faithfully for 3 weeks and I have not had the issues like the peeling that I keep reading about. I do notice an improvement to my skin - looks smoother (mostly) and the dark areas are lightening up. However, I have developed bumps on my cheeks and neck - kinda like a pimple but no head or soreness to them. Are these undeveloped pimples that the Obagi is bringing to the surface? Cuz I really don't like them and I wish they would go away. Should my face be peeling by now or does that come later? I realize that each person is going to be different but I am trying to gauge my progress by what I read from others. I am really hoping these bumps are temporary - I do occasionally have breakouts (don't you just love them hormones?!) but very seldom on the cheek and neck area.
VanessaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Maranza, I have been on Obagi for 10 weeks and I had no significant peeling to speak of. Just around my mouth area sometimes. I spoke to Rileygirl ( the expert Very Happy ) and she said some people do not peel. But my skin is definitely better and my brown spots have faded. But I still have the redness. I noticed on the blog that most people peel but it does work even if you don't. As for the bumps I had what was like a rash for a few days and then it went away. Hope this helps. Everyone on this blog is VERY HELPFUL and NICE.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Maranza,
Are your blemishes kind of red and under the skin? That's what I'm dealing with. They're mostly on my right cheek and around my hairline. I don't really know what they are either: rash? blemish?? I'm finishing my 10th week and they've been there pretty early on. I've used hydrocortisone cream, but it didn't really help. Are you using Retin A? Sometimes, I think that may be the culprit.

I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and I'm going to give my face a rest from the Obagi work out. It'll be interesting to see if my red spots go away during that time.

Also, Vanessa is quite right. Rileygirl seems to be the Obagi expert around here. Hopefully, she'll see the thread and give us her opinion! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Kims. I hope you have a great time on your vacation. I can't wait to hear if the red bumps clear up.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
maranza wrote:
I have been using the Obagi Nu Derm program faithfully for 3 weeks and I have not had the issues like the peeling that I keep reading about. I do notice an improvement to my skin - looks smoother (mostly) and the dark areas are lightening up. However, I have developed bumps on my cheeks and neck - kinda like a pimple but no head or soreness to them. Are these undeveloped pimples that the Obagi is bringing to the surface? Cuz I really don't like them and I wish they would go away. Should my face be peeling by now or does that come later? I realize that each person is going to be different but I am trying to gauge my progress by what I read from others. I am really hoping these bumps are temporary - I do occasionally have breakouts (don't you just love them hormones?!) but very seldom on the cheek and neck area.

maranza, I am not sure what the bumps are. Sometimes people will have a reaction to an ingredient in Retin A (isopropyl mystrate). If you are getting your Retin A from a derm, you could ask that you can get a compounded Retin A without this ingredient. That may help. It also could be as simple as just being in the "out with the old" cycle.

As far as the not peeling, you are right. Everyone is different. Some people peel/flake a lot and others never do. But, what is most important in the Nu Derm program is using Enough of the product. I know everyone wants to conserve the products as they are expensive, but you need to use the correct amount to get the results. So, you need to use 1 gram of Clear twice a day. That means you will be going through 1 bottle of Clear every 4 weeks. Also, you need to use 1/2 gram of Blender with 1 gram of Retin A. 1 gram is a lot of product. It is about the width of a strip of toothpaste on your toothbrush, and the length is (using your pinky finger) from the 2nd digit down to the tip of the finger. So, if you are using the correct amount of products and you don't have any flaking/peeling in the first 4-6 weeks, check the strength of your Retin A. You may need to increase it. Hope that helps!
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:53 am      Reply with quote
maranza wrote:

I got big red bumps on my chest from the Nu-Derm program. They weren't pimples and sound very much like yours. When I stopped using the products on my chest, they went away. I never got them on my face or neck, though. If you're working with a dermatologist, you might ask him/her. It sounds like a product reaction. Don't know about your peeling question - I peeled within the first week and forever more. Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review.

What products do you use in specific? The whole system, or just several from it?
VanessaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Kims, Did you get back from your vacation? How are your red bumps?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Vanessa,
I'm beginning to think that the red spots are latent acne scars. I had cystic acne into my 20's (Accutane took care of that) and I'm thinking the Obagi is bringing them to the surface Yay!! Anyway, that's the conclusion I've come to. I'm hoping that finishing the Obagi program will help the scarring.

How are you progressing??

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
wylone wrote:
Do anyone know whether it also works on asian skin? Heard so many good things about it, but still hesitate to try...

Definitely, it will work on all skin. Do a board search, as there is a thread already about Obagi and Asian skin!

Yes, it do works. actually, it is a Japan brand~~
VanessaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kims,
I am doing pretty good. Even though I have a red almost burnt patch by my mouth. Have you noticed that if you pick at anything that your skin is very easily scratched? Also does anyone have a problem with the creams turning your nails yellow if you don't get them off?
What week did you start? I started on April 3rd.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |