Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
3tm
5% products discount

Thu May 05, 2011 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
Kims: I also like the obagi spf 50, but not if I have to reapply. And if I don't reapply I get a sunburn, even if I don't stay out for long. I guess it depends on Your skin?
TN*girl
5% products discount

Fri May 06, 2011 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Can someone please clarify for me what a "cycle" of Nu Derm is? Is it an 18 week period or a 6 week period? And with each of the 3 cycles are we supposed to make any changes to the routine?
Thank you
Very Happy
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 11:19 am      Reply with quote
6 weeks is the 'cycle' - ie how long it takes skin over 30 to renew itself, so 3 skin cycles is how long you do the full obagi thing for (some do longer but this is the base line)

I'm a DIY-er, so I don't know if you're 'supposed' to change your routine or not - I just have been doing to keep my skin peeling & hopefully speed up the process after a slow-ish start

I think different derms recommend different things for their clients - it all depends on how your skin is reacting to it - & I wasn't using a the full gram of Clear or Tret at the start so I upped it when my skin had calmed down a bit from its initial Shock Shock Shock stage Smile

Having said that I don't always use the full gram of tret now if I've looked too scary the previous day or am visiting friends I don't want to freak out Smile I figure as long as I'm using it each day I can use my judgement about how much depending on how red I am or how many layers I've shed during the day Smile

Maybe others who've had proper advice can tell you more - like you, I've got all my info from reading these threads & trial & error Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
I think Diane is correct when she says a lot of this is "trial and error." It just depends on how your skin handles Nuderm.

I don't think you necessarily have to make any changes to your routine unless directed by your derm/doctor. I did "up" my percentage of Retin A during the process, however. I started with 0.025% and moved to 0.050%.

5% products discount

Sun May 08, 2011 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm. as I am reading about a lot of You using 0,05 and 0.025 percentage, and still getting great results, I am thinking about stepping back on my usage when I go on vacation in two weeks. I have become extremely sun sensitive, and will not be able to stay out of the much stronger sun when I go on vacation. Therefore, I am considering backing off my usage of tret to only every other night. I will be in week 15 when I go on my trip. I have used the full program, with the 0,1 percentage from day 1. What do You think? Should I go on as usual, or use every other night, and go on doing that until maintenance? I am planning to use the Obagi ZO products on my none -obagi nights,.. They are also strong, but milder than nu derm, as I understand? Any advices?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi 3tm,
When I went on vacation while in the middle of the Nuderm program, I did cut back on the product usage but didn't quit altogether. I would always use Clear in the evenings and alternated the Blender/RA. I just didn't want to take a chance on a "step back" by stopping completely.

And by all means, ALWAYS use sunscreen!! Smile

5% products discount

Sun May 08, 2011 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi 3tm,
When I went on vacation while in the middle of the Nuderm program, I did cut back on the product usage but didn't quit altogether. I would always use Clear in the evenings and alternated the Blender/RA. I just didn't want to take a chance on a "step back" by stopping completely.

Thanks, Kims. It is the way I am thinking too. I don't want to stop, as starting up again will be horrible. I am soon finishing week 13, and still peeling and very dry. I know my skin will not tolerate well stop and start. Do You know if I can use clear together with zo products? Did You go back on full program after vacation? How did Your skin react? Maybe blender/RA two nights and then one night of will work?
TN*girl
5% products discount

Sun May 08, 2011 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:
6 weeks is the 'cycle' - ie how long it takes skin over 30 to renew itself, so 3 skin cycles is how long you do the full obagi thing for (some do longer but this is the base line)

I'm a DIY-er, so I don't know if you're 'supposed' to change your routine or not - I just have been doing to keep my skin peeling & hopefully speed up the process after a slow-ish start

I think different derms recommend different things for their clients - it all depends on how your skin is reacting to it - & I wasn't using a the full gram of Clear or Tret at the start so I upped it when my skin had calmed down a bit from its initial Shock Shock Shock stage Smile

Having said that I don't always use the full gram of tret now if I've looked too scary the previous day or am visiting friends I don't want to freak out Smile I figure as long as I'm using it each day I can use my judgement about how much depending on how red I am or how many layers I've shed during the day Smile

Maybe others who've had proper advice can tell you more - like you, I've got all my info from reading these threads & trial & error Smile

Thank you Diane that is very helpful. I've just started week 3, all in all things are going as they are supposed (from what I've read) some days are good others not so much. I've backed down a little on the .1 tret and skipped the exfoderm forte today to give my skin a little bit of a break.
I went to a site that I had heard mentioned on here, alldaychemist. The price of the tret compared to what I paid at the Skin place, wow. I don't need anything new yet but when I do I'm considering ordering from there. Does anyone know anything about them? I was disappointed I didn't see any 4% HQ. I appreciate all the feedbak!
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
TN*girl wrote:
dianew wrote:

Thank you Diane that is very helpful. I've just started week 3, all in all things are going as they are supposed (from what I've read) some days are good others not so much. I've backed down a little on the .1 tret and skipped the exfoderm forte today to give my skin a little bit of a break.
I went to a site that I had heard mentioned on here, alldaychemist. The price of the tret compared to what I paid at the Skin place, wow. I don't need anything new yet but when I do I'm considering ordering from there. Does anyone know anything about them? I was disappointed I didn't see any 4% HQ. I appreciate all the feedbak!

I ordered from them with no probs except loads of spam for ------------------ - so you may want to set up an email just for ordering that you'll never use again.

I've read other recent threads about people's credit card details being used (I think ADC said their system had been hacked...) so you may want to get a pre-pay card to order with too. Prices are v attractive tho - even with hefty shipping, & the cream is Johnson & Johnson brand - a bit creamier than the generic tret (that I paid about £60 for... at ADC is about £2.50 each...)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
3tm wrote:
kims wrote:
Hi 3tm,

Thanks, Kims. It is the way I am thinking too. I don't want to stop, as starting up again will be horrible. I am soon finishing week 13, and still peeling and very dry. I know my skin will not tolerate well stop and start. Do You know if I can use clear together with zo products? Did You go back on full program after vacation? How did Your skin react? Maybe blender/RA two nights and then one night of will work?

I went back on the full program when I got home from vacation. My skin reacted well. At that point, my skin had acclimated to the products. But even then, you never know peeling and redness can come again! With Obagi, your skin definitely has a mind of its own! Laughing

5% products discount

Sun May 08, 2011 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Diane... I am the girl who's always trying to save a buck, and because my thriftiness has bitten me in the butt a time or two, I like to ask those who have gone before me Very Happy
I'm hoping my Obagi experience will be so amazing I will not question the money I spent (but I didn't realize I'd be signing up on maintenance for life too, ha!) Shock
CarrieH
5% products discount

Mon May 09, 2011 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Lissavitc wrote:
Has anyone tried Dermesse skin care? It is a competitive product to Obagi and is less expensive, around 25%. Several of my friends switched to Dermesse and are very pleased with the results. They also say the Dermesse regimens are not as aggressive.

I've not heard of Dermesse, but the Reverse Regimen by Rodan + Fields Dermatologist erases the brown spots and dullness and is half the price of Obagi and there is no down-time associated with redness and peeling.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 09, 2011 8:36 am      Reply with quote
CarrieH wrote:
Lissavitc wrote:
Has anyone tried Dermesse skin care? It is a competitive product to Obagi and is less expensive, around 25%. Several of my friends switched to Dermesse and are very pleased with the results. They also say the Dermesse regimens are not as aggressive.

I've not heard of Dermesse, but the Reverse Regimen by Rodan + Fields Dermatologist erases the brown spots and dullness and is half the price of Obagi and there is no down-time associated with redness and peeling.

Hi Carrie,
What type of products do they offer?

5% products discount

Thu May 12, 2011 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
What's the consensus... is the Obagi cleanser a vital part of the plan or once I'm out is there something I can substitute (and if so, what?)
Thanks!
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 1:01 am      Reply with quote
Is Obagi mostly for people with a lot of sun damage?

or to fade brown spots or marks on the face?

I don't have any sun damage (just did the Visia scan and it showed my skin was better than 78% of people my age with minimal sun damage)

But I do have some small marks from some blemishes I want to get rid of.

Not sure to try this line as it seems quite harsh or just do a series of skin peels.

I don't want anything too complicated either
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 5:47 am      Reply with quote
TN*girl wrote:
What's the consensus... is the Obagi cleanser a vital part of the plan or once I'm out is there something I can substitute (and if so, what?)
Thanks!

You can definitely use another cleanser and toner. Right now, I'm using a mousse-type cleanser and you can get ordinary witch hazel to use as a toner.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:

I don't have any sun damage (just did the Visia scan and it showed my skin was better than 78% of people my age with minimal sun damage)

Not sure to try this line as it seems quite harsh or just do a series of skin peels.

If you don't have sun damage, I don't think I would use Obagi. It's a tough system and can be quite harsh (as you said.) Plus, you really need to commit 6-18 weeks. It also involves several products both am and pm.

5% products discount

Fri May 13, 2011 8:41 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
TN*girl wrote:
Thanks!

You can definitely use another cleanser and toner. Right now, I'm using a mousse-type cleanser and you can get ordinary witch hazel to use as a toner.

Thank you Kim. Smile

Can anyone suggest a good one?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 9:53 am      Reply with quote
I'm using a mousse cleanser by H2O right now. I've also used one by Jan Marini that I like really well and one by 40 Carrots. Truthfully, I think if you pick one that suits your skin type, you'll be okay!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Ottawa Shopper wrote:

If you don't have sun damage, I don't think I would use Obagi. It's a tough system and can be quite harsh (as you said.) Plus, you really need to commit 6-18 weeks. It also involves several products both am and pm.

I don't really have any sun damage.
But I do have large pores in the T-zone and a bit of uneven texture in the chin area from blemishes and falling on my face last year.

I just got in the mail today the Exuviance performance peel and maybe that is what I will try instead.
I don't think it is that worth it for me to go to a doctor's/"med spa" for a 20% peel every few weeks.
my skin is quite sensitive and I can't keep a peel on very long...under 2 minutes is my tolerance for now.
-so not really worth $80 for that!

Maybe Obagi is better for my sister- she has a very uneven skin texture and never uses sunscreen.

Is the Obagi sunscreen ok to use by itself?
I have a travel size tube here 40ml I think.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Let us know about the peel if you decide to get it! BTW, what is an Exuviance peel??

I also have some skin texture issues and large pores on my nose. And, quite honestly, I don't think Obagi has really helped much in those areas.

The Obagi sunscreen would be fine to use as a stand alone product. I just recently purchased the new Sunguard SPF 50 and really like it.

5% products discount

Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know... if you attempt the less aggressive approach to using the NuDerm is it ultimately as affective? When I apply it the way I was told to my skin gets very peely, red & tight, which is how it's supposed to be (as I understand). When I scale back on the tret/blender and/or the exfoderm forte my skin is calm much much less peely, red, tight
but if it's not doing all that is it still working the way it is intended?
Thank you!
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 1:21 am      Reply with quote
I've been using the obagi nu derm products for almost 2 years. I'm on maitainence now and no longer using the cleanser or toner. The key products are the clear, blenden/tretinoin. I use AHA products from other skin care lines.The importance of the cleanser and toner is to prepare your skin and to ensure it's at the right ph balance before you use the obagi clear, blender and tretinion products. I did try the less aggressive products range from obagi, the C system which doesn't use tretinoin. The results were not as good as the nu derm. My main issues were pigmentation. In the past 2 years these issues have been addressed, in addition my skin has become a lot more softer, texture smoother, the clarity brighter! it is a long term investment but it's worth it. Even now if I'm a little heavy handed with the use of tretinoin I still get the redness, flaky skin around the mouth and chin.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all, I finally finished reading the whole of this thread and just wanted to thank everybody who has contributed and given me so much information and encouragement.

I have dark oily, acne prone skin with open pores on my cheeks, some minor pigmentation caused by acne and acne scarring with dark circles under my eyes.

I starting the nu derm programme on 1st May, entering my 4th week today. I am getting on well with it so far, I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon who recommended nu derm but I opted to purchase online and saved a few hundred £££ so I'm a DIYer.

Just like dianew, I started using the pea sized amount of each product and increased the amount of tretinoin and exfoderm 2 days ago and am now applying clear on dark spots at PM.

I have been using:

AM
clenziderm foaming cleanser (oily skin)
toner
clear
exfoderm forte
sunfader
healthy skin protection spf35

PM
foaming cleanser
toner
clear (dark spots only)
blender mixed with the obagi tretinoin cream 0.05%

I experienced the tightness, itching and tenderness around my nose in the first week but all of that has died down now. the peeling began in the last couple of days of the first week and I am still experiencing it now (some days are better than others. I have had 3 huge spots and 3 little ones and some deeply embedded blackheads on chin have come to the surface.

My skin looks great a lot of the scars have started fading and my skin tone looks more even, however I think my skin is about to do some serious purging as I'm seeing some bumps and small spots coming.

Sorry for long post just wanted to share my story so far Smile
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Sun May 22, 2011 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Today is day #3. Starting slow with M-W-F for the Exfoderm a.m. and Blender/Tret p.m. plus the other stuff.

I really miss all my other products, especially moisturizer. Doctor said toss them but I plan to use them on my arms, elbows, knees, feet vs just tossing them. I've got other skin that could use a little drink of something and besides I spent good money on that stuff. LOL

In the a.m. after having had the p.m. routine on all night, and before exercising as I don't want to do the a.m. routine before that & my shower, I've been spritzing my face with Evian facial mist and then in the afternoon/evening before cleaning and routine I do it again. It feels good and hopefully just using an Evian mist won't hurt and impede progress.

After reading here, I'm a little nervous about recital week, a full week with all day rehearsals and evening performances for 5 nights for my daughter but at least now she is older, 17, and can drive herself to some and I can stay home and hide. But I will need to see all of her dances at least once so I'll have to get out for that. This will start June 4th. So I'll have two weeks to see how things are going and tweak applications.

Then at the end of June we are heading to Seattle for a cruise to AK. IF I have to, I'll back off for that too a little and especially flight days not use either Exfoderm or Blender/Tret.

I'm a little scared but will take it slow and tough it out longer if that is what it takes.

Y'all are all so helpful!!!!! Enjoyed reading and learned a LOT today!!!!!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |