Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
TN*girl wrote:
Does anyone know... if you attempt the less aggressive approach to using the NuDerm is it ultimately as affective? When I apply it the way I was told to my skin gets very peely, red & tight, which is how it's supposed to be (as I understand). When I scale back on the tret/blender and/or the exfoderm forte my skin is calm much much less peely, red, tight
but if it's not doing all that is it still working the way it is intended?
Thank you!

Hi TNgirl,
I think you have to make this process somewhat tolerable. If you need to scale back, I think it's probably fine. You just may need to continue Nuderm longer than recommended to get the full benefits. Also, you may find that eventually you will be able to use the products daily as your skin acclimates.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
Angel and Qwacker,
Thanks for sharing your experiences thus far! Keep us posted as to your progress.

*Fongflyer, I've been using Nuderm for two years now as well!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 3:55 am      Reply with quote
In my first couple of weeks I found the sunfader a little uncomfortable with a slight stinging/burning feeling, this has now died down but, after reading that most of you omit this step, I thought I would try and do the same. The problem is, I noticed when I don't use the sunfader, the cast of the spf35 is a lot worse and sticks to my peelies making them look more visable Sad

My main problem now is to find a decent physical spf ss for my acne prone, oily skin that:
gives great protection
oil free
doesn't clog pores
isn't filled with cones
not too pricey
easily available in the UK

Any suggestions? I've read a ton of threads about ss and unfortunately the majority of the recommended ones are almost impossible to get over here Crying or Very sad TIA

ETA: Thank you kims, you have been a great help to me (can't thank for another couple of days, I should have joined sooner instead of lurking LOL)
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 4:15 am      Reply with quote
I am also interested in finding out where the ladies from my neck of the woods are getting their tretinoin/retin a?

I went to my GP and asked for a prescription, she was only able to give me a 0.025% gel. I chose to go with the 0.05% as I thought it would be the safest one to start with that would get the job done. My GP reckons that the 0.025% gel is equivalant to the 0.05% cream as the gel is more aggressive than the cream. The problem is that the gel doesn't work as well as the cream with the blender according to my fellow obagians.

I paid £60 for one tube of the obagi one Shock so far I've found united pharmacies and online pharmacy UK. Has anyone used either of them? I know many are using ADC but, I've read a few horror stories about them and don't know if they would be worth the hassle of opening a new email account and using a prepaid cc.
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Mon May 23, 2011 5:38 am      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth, do you have any of the Neutrogena sunscreen products available? I buy this for my fair skinned daughter who is in marching band and thus outside for practice for many, many hours, especially during band camp for 2 weeks ALL DAY long in the hot, hot south in the summer. She still gets burned a little and red because she is so fair and usually calms down after a nice shower but I think their UVA/UVB with the Helioplex is suppose to be pretty good. And for the face, the "dry touch", I think that is what they call it, is pretty good. Good Luck finding something you can use.

For now, I'm going to use the Obagi SPF on my face and upper chest/neck and the Neutrogena on my hands and arms.
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Mon May 23, 2011 5:40 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Angel and Qwacker,
Thanks for sharing your experiences thus far! Keep us posted as to your progress.

*Fongflyer, I've been using Nuderm for two years now as well!

Thanks kims!

And waving Hi to TNgirl . . . I'm right next door on the border and the doctor I'm seeing for the Obagi is in TN.
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 9:45 am      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:

My main problem now is to find a decent physical spf ss for my acne prone, oily skin that:
gives great protection
oil free
doesn't clog pores
isn't filled with cones
not too pricey

Any suggestions? I've read a ton of threads about ss and unfortunately the majority of the recommended ones are almost impossible to get over here Crying or Very sad TIA

I ordered the NIA 24 stuff on Kim's recommendation from Ebay & am liking it lot now my skin's got used to it... sinks in & no white cast to accentuate those flaky bits Smile

As for the tret I ordered about 10 of them from ADC as they were so cheap & the P&P so high... & the use by date is Nov 2012 so I'll probably have to toss some of them Smile PM me your address & I'll put one in the post - at least it won't go to waste then!

I went for the .05 cream btw

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 10:13 am      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:
In my first couple of weeks I found the sunfader a little uncomfortable with a slight stinging/burning feeling, this has now died down but, after reading that most of you omit this step, I thought I would try and do the same. The problem is, I noticed when I don't use the sunfader, the cast of the spf35 is a lot worse and sticks to my peelies making them look more visable Sad

gives great protection
oil free
doesn't clog pores
isn't filled with cones
not too pricey

ETA: Thank you kims, you have been a great help to me (can't thank for another couple of days, I should have joined sooner instead of lurking LOL)

Can you get the new Nuderm Sunshield SPF 50? I'm using it right now and I really like it! Not too much of a white cast and dries to a matte finish.

Also, I did use the Sunfader without too many problems. I feel like it's best to try and use all the steps in the Nuderm process at least the first six weeks.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:

I ordered the NIA 24 stuff on Kim's recommendation from Ebay & am liking it lot now my skin's got used to it... sinks in & no white cast to accentuate those flaky bits Smile

As for the tret I ordered about 10 of them from ADC as they were so cheap & the P&P so high... & the use by date is Nov 2012 so I'll probably have to toss some of them Smile PM me your address & I'll put one in the post - at least it won't go to waste then!

I went for the .05 cream btw[/quote]

Thank you so much dianew, that is very kind of you Angel
monalisasmiler
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Angelofthenorth sounds like you had the right idea in the diy route and ordering it yourself. I bought mine from a clinic after a consultation cost £285 for tretinoin, blender, professional c serum and the suncream is instant protect 50+ tinted by phasilab. To be honest this is ok but does not dry matte, so would like to try something else maybe. I too have had some spots which don't normally suffer with and wasn't sure if it was down to the suncream but maybe not. In the morning skin looked ok but later on more red and flushes a lot more easily than normal. I have not had the peeling but have had the tightness. I did have some sun damage on my nose which looks to be getting better. I also wondered if everyone is using the tretinoin and blender up to the bone under the eye as I think I read rileygirl had, but have also read that on some it made their eyes look quite bad so as yet have been careful with this but would like to address some fine lines here. My issues are blocked and open pores and some scarring. I was going to try the co2 laser for this but may try the dermaroller or something less invasive as I have read mixed reports on this treatment for scarring. I have also been using these on the decollete area for fine lines but as yet not noticed any improvement.

It is really useful to read everyone's experiences so thank you all.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
qwacker: I have checked out the neutragena ss range, it looks good but has mixed reviews, I guess I won't know till I try! It doesn't seem available here but appears to be available in abundance on ebay at relatively cheap prices including shipping, so thank you for that recommendation.

kims: I liked the look of the obagi spf50 when I saw it on the website but it was so expensive over here but, I have found it extremely cheap on ebay compared to what it would cost if I bought it over here so I'm gonna buy some of that too. Thank you for the recommendation. Re: sunfader, I totally agree with you, I intend to stick with it for a minimum of 6 wks, I only went without it once a couple of days ago, I may even stick it out and use a little less.

dianew: I'll be checking out the NIA 24, if I like the look of it and it is relatively reasonably priced, I'll invest in some of that too. Thank you for recommending.

I want to try a range to see which ones I like that agree with my skin, If I like all of them then I can switch them up through the year and different seasons. I also think it's a good idea to have a back up in case I can't get the one I prefer/the manufacturer decides to discontinue, (this happens to me all the time and and IMO is a major factor to why my skin got so bad). Thank you ladies, I'm appreciating all your help, I now feel optimistic about my spf quest now. Laughing
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
monalisasmiler wrote:
Hi Angelofthenorth sounds like you had the right idea in the diy route and ordering it yourself. I bought mine from a clinic after a consultation cost £285 for tretinoin, blender, professional c serum and the suncream is instant protect 50+ tinted by phasilab. To be honest this is ok but does not dry matte, so would like to try something else maybe. I too have had some spots which don't normally suffer with and wasn't sure if it was down to the suncream but maybe not. In the morning skin looked ok but later on more red and flushes a lot more easily than normal. I have not had the peeling but have had the tightness. I did have some sun damage on my nose which looks to be getting better. I also wondered if everyone is using the tretinoin and blender up to the bone under the eye as I think I read rileygirl had, but have also read that on some it made their eyes look quite bad so as yet have been careful with this but would like to address some fine lines here. My issues are blocked and open pores and some scarring. I was going to try the co2 laser for this but may try the dermaroller or something less invasive as I have read mixed reports on this treatment for scarring. I have also been using these on the decollete area for fine lines but as yet not noticed any improvement.

It is really useful to read everyone's experiences so thank you all.

Thank you for sharing monalisasmiler, I felt comfortable to DIY it as it was recommended as the best treatment for my skin condition, the clinic I went to for my initial consultation offered a range of treatments from peels/dermabrasion/laser to obagi, so I felt confident. I also had a telephone consultation with a nurse from the clinic I purchased from online, she said I can call at anytime if I need further advice. I also have this wonderful forum with so many experienced obagi veterans (and newbies) that I can turn to for advice and information so I feel totally supported.

I too use everything but the exfoderm on my upper and lower lids, 1) to get rid of the dark circles under my eyes, which by the way is working a treat and 2) to ensure I keep an even complexion, the panda look is not what I'm striving for Laughing The first couple of days I used obagi, the skin around my eyes felt very tight and looked wrinkled under my eyes so not quite the crow's feet I've seen people have complained about(I didn't have wrinkles prior to commencing the programme), I thought, I have been told that it will look worse before it gets better so I didn't worry too much. My eyes settled within a few days and are pretty much almost back to normal.

Re: the laser treatment, there are so many mixed opinions and it is a bit daunting with all the horror stories you read about so you are probably right to steer in the direction of something less abrasive. I too am interested in the dermaroller and may give it a whirl when I finish the obagi treatment, I'm hoping it will inhance the results I get even more.

I have forgotten to mention that 4 of my friends have all complimented me about my skin and how clear it is looking, one of them mentioned today that my dark circles seem to have almost vanished, so far so very good Cool
monalisasmiler
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Wow sounds like its going well for you angelofthenorth, really pleased. Just to clarify though are you putting tretinoin mixed with the blender under your eyes and on your lids? I will start this if you have found this to be helping.

Thanks for sharing, sounds like we have similar skin with the pores, unfortunately mine is not just the cheeks but all the t zone. Shock
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 5:45 am      Reply with quote
monalisasmiler wrote:
Wow sounds like its going well for you angelofthenorth, really pleased. Just to clarify though are you putting tretinoin mixed with the blender under your eyes and on your lids? I will start this if you have found this to be helping.

Thanks for sharing, sounds like we have similar skin with the pores, unfortunately mine is not just the cheeks but all the t zone. Shock

I also use the Blender/Retin a under my eyes and on my eye lids. And, yes, the under eye area can look worse before it gets better: tight, dry, and wrinkly. However, it's okay to apply a bit of oil or moisturizer to this area. Still yet, my under eye area isn't what I'd like it to be.

**Another sunscreen note: Burnout works pretty well with the Nuderm products too.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 6:32 am      Reply with quote
I'm on week 13 now & still very up & down with my skin - ok one day, flaking like a madwoman the next...

Can veteran Obagians tell me - when dark / red patches start to lighten, do they do it in a uniform fashion? My forehead has lost all its redness & looks clear & smooth, but my cheeks have got like little white patches on them rather than an overall fading...

Is this normal? Anyone else experienced the same thing?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 6:59 am      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:
I'm on week 13 now & still very up & down with my skin - ok one day, flaking like a madwoman the next...

Can veteran Obagians tell me - when dark / red patches start to lighten, do they do it in a uniform fashion? My forehead has lost all its redness & looks clear & smooth, but my cheeks have got like little white patches on them rather than an overall fading...

Are you meaning you are developing and/or have hypopigmentation? I have that (small little "patches" of white spots) and I assume it is some form of sun damage. That was the area that took the longest to even out for me when I was on Nu Derm. (And it was while I was on Obagi that I first noticed the hypopigmentated spots. I am guessing because the Nu Derm uncovered a lot of sun damage.)
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 9:37 am      Reply with quote
hi Rileygirl, yes, I guess that's what it is,though I've never noticed it before - you think it's the obagi uncovering, rather than causing it then?

Glad to hear yours went away in the end... looks like I might have to stay for more than the regulation 18 weeks then...?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 10:23 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
dianew wrote:

Are you meaning you are developing and/or have hypopigmentation? I have that (small little "patches" of white spots) and I assume it is some form of sun damage. That was the area that took the longest to even out for me when I was on Nu Derm. (And it was while I was on Obagi that I first noticed the hypopigmentated spots. I am guessing because the Nu Derm uncovered a lot of sun damage.)

I have this too. It isn't very noticeable on my face (probably because of Nuderm) but it's very noticeable on other parts of my body: chest, stomach, arms, and legs. I also think it's due to serious sun damage. Wish there was a way to get rid of it as well! Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to check kims when you said you can put the moisturiser on the lids and under the eyes is this over the top of the tretinoin or on alternate nights?

Thank you Very Happy
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
monalisasmiler wrote:
Just wanted to check kims when you said you can put the moisturiser on the lids and under the eyes is this over the top of the tretinoin or on alternate nights?

Thank you Very Happy

Wait 30 minutes or so and then you can apply moisturizer or facial oil on top of the tretinoin. Obagi rules don't apply here! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanx kims, will start tongight Very Happy
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
monalisasmiler wrote:

Sorry I couldn't get back to you last night, I'm limited to 5 posts a day Sad

I am using the tret/blender mix under my eyes, I skim a little over the top. Last night before my PM steps, the top eyelids felt a bit strange, not burning or tight quite a difficult feeling to explain but it was fine once I applied the products, I tried to ensure I only applied a minimal amount of tret/blender to my upper lids/brow area. I thought if it felt like that again tonight, I would omit the upper eye area. It may be a good idea to reduce the amount of days I apply tret/blender mix to my upper eye area.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
dianew wrote:

I have this too. It isn't very noticeable on my face (probably because of Nuderm) but it's very noticeable on other parts of my body: chest, stomach, arms, and legs. I also think it's due to serious sun damage. Wish there was a way to get rid of it as well! Confused

I read in another thread (can't remember which one but will edit to add when I find it) that someone went to see Dr Obagi and he apparently now recommends treatment for 24 wks/5 months instead of 18 wks, the poster said that the extra 4 weeks made a huge difference to their results.

ETA: Thread name: after wk 18 on obagi? huge difference in taking to 24 wks?

OP: Chris Ann

Sorry, couldn't post the link, another perk of being a newbie Laughing
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I tend to agree with the 24 week period as well; that's what I did before going on maintenance.

I also think it's a good idea to do at least a 6-week full Nuderm protocol every year.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:
angelofthenorth wrote:

gives great protection
oil free
doesn't clog pores
isn't filled with cones
not too pricey

I went for the .05 cream btw

I remembered I had a Glamoxy snake mask just sitting around doing nothing, I decided to take it back to space.NK and exchange it for some NIA24, I don't know whether to start it tomorrow or finish the obagi spf35, I hate wasting anything unnecessarily and think maybe I should stick to obagi only products, at least for the first 6 weeks and suffering the unsightly peeled skin stuck to my face Confused
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |