Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
mccabe49

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using the Obagi Nu Derm for one week and one day. Today my skin was horrible. Very red and peeling like crazy. I have to see client's all day. I had to put he blinds halfway down and hid out in my office all day. Hope this works; hard to tell if anything is improving; any suggestions regarding the peeling and extreme redness? I did quit using exoderm in the am and now use it only at night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am about to give up out of frustration.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
mccabe49 wrote:
I have been using the Obagi Nu Derm for one week and one day. Today my skin was horrible. Very red and peeling like crazy. I have to see client's all day. I had to put he blinds halfway down and hid out in my office all day. Hope this works; hard to tell if anything is improving; any suggestions regarding the peeling and extreme redness? I did quit using exoderm in the am and now use it only at night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am about to give up out of frustration.

I would use Exforderm only every other day.
notsobad

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
I am totally confused. My health care professional told me that Obagi regime was to be used for the rest of my life.
I have been reading through the topics that it is a 6 week plan?
My daily plan is:
Morning
#1 Cleanser.
#2 Toner.
#3.Clear 1/2 gram of clear over the entire face-including eye area.
#4.Exfoderm- 1/2 gram avoid eye area
#6.Sunfader- 1/2 gram entire face
#6. sunscreen as needed.
Night
#1. Cleanser
#2. Toner
#3. Clear 1/2 gram entire face including eye area
#5. Blender- !/2 gram + Tretinoin- 1/2 gram (mix together apply to face using around eye area sparingly.

I was told to do this for 3 months and come back into the office. Then three months and another visit, and then three more months. I was told that I would not see improvement for a year. I was told it would not help with wrinkles. (I was hoping for improvement in this area.)
I have never had acne, never bad black heads, never had white heads or oily skin. I was told DO NOT do moisturizer, for the scaly skin. Not peeling, just scaling off. Haven't been without a hat, eyeglasses and sunscreen for 8 or more years.

Can someone answer me as to why I am on this skin care system? Especially if it doesn't help with wrinkles. And does it really take a year to see improvement? I panicked and took everything back, before I used anything and she wouldn't consider a refund and told me not to read anything on the internet. I am nervous and would appreciate ANY advice or comments.

Please give me some advice. I am 61, is it a little too late for me and this produce?

Edited to add. I am only to use the Tretinoin every other day. When I commented that I was concerned about redness, she said to just use it every third day. On one day off two. I could tell she was irritated with me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Obagi is the best program for wrinkles. It sounds like you went to a strange office Confused

Obagi Skin Transformation takes 4 phases:

1) Reaction phase (6-8 weeks)
2) Tolerance phase (6-8 weeks)
3) Corrected phase (6-8 weeks)
4) Lifetime Maintenance (indefinitely)

Lifetime maintenance:

Obagi C Serum every day
Exforderm 2-3 times a week
Clear 2-3 times a week
Blender every other day
Tretinoin every other day

HTH!

notsobad wrote:
I am totally confused. My health care professional told me that Obagi regime was to be used for the rest of my life.
My daily plan is:
Morning
#1 Cleanser.
#2 Toner.
#6. sunscreen as needed.
Night
#1. Cleanser
#2. Toner
#5. Blender- !/2 gram + Tretinoin- 1/2 gram (mix together apply to face using around eye area sparingly.

I was told to do this for 3 months and come back into the office. Then three months and another visit, and then three more months. I was told that I would not see improvement for a year. I was told it would not help with wrinkles. (I was hoping for improvement in this area.)
I have never had acne, never bad black heads, never had white heads or oily skin. I was told DO NOT do moisturizer, for the scaly skin. Not peeling, just scaling off. Haven't been without a hat, eyeglasses and sunscreen for 8 or more years.

Can someone answer me as to why I am on this skin care system? Especially if it doesn't help with wrinkles. And does it really take a year to see improvement? I panicked and took everything back, before I used anything and she wouldn't consider a refund and told me not to read anything on the internet. I am nervous and would appreciate ANY advice or comments.

Please give me some advice. I am 61, is it a little too late for me and this produce?

Edited to add. I am only to use the Tretinoin every other day. When I commented that I was concerned about redness, she said to just use it every third day. On one day off two. I could tell she was irritated with me.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
How about that? I specifically asked her if it would help with fine lines and small wrinkles and she told me no. That it was all about skin health and would promote elasticity. That I would not look any younger, but that my skin would look healthier.

Thank you for your prompt response. I will relax and go through the process, then.
I do have two questions, though.
#1 Approximately how long does the skin flaking last?
#2. Can you tell me what to expect during the phases you mentioned?

Again, thank you for your very prompt response.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
notsobad wrote:
How about that? I specifically asked her if it would help with fine lines and small wrinkles and she told me no. That it was all about skin health and would promote elasticity. That I would not look any younger, but that my skin would look healthier.

Thank you for your prompt response. I will relax and go through the process, then.

The skin flaking never stopped for me Very Happy

1) Reaction phase (6-8 weeks): exfoliation, redness, flaking, wrinkles look worse
2) Tolerance phase (6-8 weeks): skin starts producing healthy cells; softer, smoother skin, wrinkles diminish, subsiding redness and peeling, by the end of the phase the skin is supposed to build tolerance ( never happened to me)
3) Corrected phase (6-8 weeks): firm, soft, naturally hydrated skin with a glow, more resilient
Lily123
5% products discount

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have used Obagi for over 15 years. I am 62 and could easily pass for 50. It is a great product but it is expensive and not for those that are faint of heart.

You get red and you peel. That is what you want to do. Every time you moisturize you take a step backwards in the Obagi process. I use the whole line of Nu-Derm and I am very please. Yes you have to keep it up to some extent for your whole life. Yesterday I just started a new peel. So I am like those of you that just started, (Well maybe not as bad)

The only product I am not sure works as well as it says is the eye cream. But if you use the Obagi early in your life you likely will not need much eye cream.

I just wanted you all to know it is worth the price. I would give up a lot of other things than Obagi.

Thanks for listening and Have a great day!
Lily123
5% products discount

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
notsobad wrote:
My daily plan is:
Morning
#1 Cleanser.
#2 Toner.
#6. sunscreen as needed.
Night
#1. Cleanser
#2. Toner

Hi Joyce:
I am 62 so I can see where you are coming from.
You need to change doctors. I have been using Obagi for over 15 years and it does all the things that you want and they say it doesn't. Please try another derm.

You will be very red and irritated but that is what Obagi is supposed to do. Since you have bought the product all you will be out is another doctors fee.

Obagi is so worth the price. I can easily pass for 10 year younger than I am.

Please don't give up. Just change doctors.
Have a great day!
Lily123
5% products discount

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
notsobad wrote:

The skin flaking never stopped for me :D

1) Reaction phase (6-8 weeks): exfoliation, redness, flaking, wrinkles look worse
2) Tolerance phase (6-8 weeks): skin starts producing healthy cells; softer, smoother skin, wrinkles diminish, subsiding redness and peeling, by the end of the phase the skin is supposed to build tolerance ( never happened to me)
3) Corrected phase (6-8 weeks): firm, soft, naturally hydrated skin with a glow, more resilient

Dear Russian Snowflake:
I think you have very accurately described the phases of Obagi.

I have red hair and I have to say the flaking never stopped for me either.

When I got to maintenance you can adjust for flaking.

After going through the whole program the first time you will know when it is time for the whole process again.

Have a great day!
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Lily123, what other products do you use on non-Obagi days during maintenance phase?

Lily123 wrote:
I have used Obagi for over 15 years. I am 62 and could easily pass for 50
Lily123
5% products discount

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Lily123, what other products do you use on non-Obagi days during maintenance phase?

Lily123 wrote:

During the maintenance phase I use the cleanser and toner daily and the exfoderm 2-3 time a week.

I do use the clear if I see a freckle come back.
But I just use it in that area.

So I guess I still use all Obagi just not all of the items.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Lily, and absolutely no other products?
What do you use at night instead of tretinoin during maintenance?

Lily123 wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

Lily123 wrote:

During the maintenance phase I use the cleanser and toner daily and the exfoderm 2-3 time a week.

Lily123
5% products discount

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Lily, and absolutely no other products?
What do you use at night instead of tretinoin during maintenance?

Lily123 wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

Lily123 wrote:

I will use the exfoderm if it feels like I need something but I don't use anything else. No moisturizer ever.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Lily123 wrote:

I will use the exfoderm if it feels like I need something but I don't use anything else. No moisturizer ever.

Thank you!
capri973

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

I am new to this forum. I have been using obagi nu derm line with trtinoin .05 for now 12 weeks. It has reduced my pigmentation a lot but past 2 weeks since I started exercising and sweating it seems to redden the pigmentation area making it a bit more visible than it was in 9th week. My pigmentation is due to over exposure of sun, it's melasma. So would anyone know that sweating increases melasma. I live in a hot environment.
notsobad

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Another question.

No redness, no burning, no flaking , except around my mouth. I went back and she told me to use the blender/trintonin (SIC?) every night as opposed to the every other night as I was earlier instructed.

She said you only flake and peel around your mouth because that is the only place your muscles move.

Is that true? Because, in my mind, if the old doesn't come off, how will the new make it's way to the surface?

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I am new to this forum and have found it very informative, thank you all for shaing your experiences. i am 48 years old and have uneven skin tone with pigmentation on my cheekbones, side of my nose and on my forehead under my hairline, I still get the odd spot and inflammation and have sensitive skin. A Derm has suggusted Obagi. After researching and reading various reviews I am terrified of peeling and breakouts. Also can anyone advise that after having the Peel and maintenace, would I have to carry on with the Obagi products for ever? Confused

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:52 am      Reply with quote
I have been using Obagi Nu-Derm for about six months now. I have noticed that my pores look smaller and my skin texture looks much smoother. There is also a reduction in some fine lines. But the main reason I started using Obagi was to lighten some sun or age spots (really, what's the difference?). And Obagi has done that. A couple have completely disappeared. However, if you go in the sun they can come back, so make sure you use your sunscreen. I actually use a non-Obagi sunscreen that I like better than Obagi's. By the way, I am 64 years old. Don't be afraid of the peeling. You can control the redness and peeling by how often you use the Retin-A or Tretinoin. I got the weakest strength to start with and only used it three times a week for the first few months. Then I increased to every night.
Minimom

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Minimom wrote:
I have been using Obagi Nu-Derm for about six months now. I have noticed that my pores look smaller and my skin texture looks much smoother. There is also a reduction in some fine lines. But the main reason I started using Obagi was to lighten some sun or age spots (really, what's the difference?). And Obagi has done that. A couple have completely disappeared. However, if you go in the sun they can come back, so make sure you use your sunscreen. I actually use a non-Obagi sunscreen that I like better than Obagi's. By the way, I am 64 years old. Don't be afraid of the peeling. You can control the redness and peeling by how often you use the Retin-A or Tretinoin. I got the weakest strength to start with and only used it three times a week for the first few months. Then I increased to every night.

One more thing. I also use the Vitamin C-serum. I love it!
thumper41

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I am also new to this forum. I have been using Nu Derm for almost 7 weeks. I have not had any redness or peeling. However, i am getting terrible break outs on my chin. Super big and super painful. This has been going on for at least a month. I haven't heard of a lot of people who had this issue. Anybody have recommendations?
blanchedubois
5% products discount

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
thumper41 wrote:
Hi,
I am also new to this forum. I have been using Nu Derm for almost 7 weeks. I have not had any redness or peeling. However, i am getting terrible break outs on my chin. Super big and super painful. This has been going on for at least a month. I haven't heard of a lot of people who had this issue. Anybody have recommendations?

Hi thumper41. What % of retin a have you been using? And are you using the proper amount of product? I am just entering my 6th week of the Nu Derm system and have also had almost no peeling and little redness aside from persistent redness above my upper lip and light flushing mid day every few days. I started the program using .025 retin a, as I have never used retin a in the past. My derm recommended I stick with .025 for another couple of weeks and then increase to .05. Around the week 3 mark, I was so frustrated by my lack of redness and peeling (as it seemed from what I read that the peeling was essential to dramatic results Rolling Eyes ) that I switched from the regular Exfoderm to Exfoderm Forte, which made absolutely no difference.

Prior to starting nu derm, I had been doing weekly glycolic/lactic acid peels for over a year now, and have used high strength AHA's for many years as well as M2 Skin Refinish, so I am wondering if my skin is really conditioned and hence little peeling... Embarassed

Aside from having no redness or peeling, have you noticed any positive results so far? What is your main reason for using nu derm? Mine is some hideous hyperpigmentation/melasma that surfaced suddenly after years of sun worshipping. I HAVE noticed a visible reduction in that, in only 6 weeks (some spots responding much faster than others.) I am hoping that I may just be one the lucky ones who gets nu derm results without the horrifying 'ugly' phase.

As for your breakouts, were you prone to getting breakouts on your chin prior to using nu derm? Acne isolated to the chin area in women is usually hormonal. I know that purging is a very common initial side effect with retin a, but super painful cystic acne doesn't sound like typical purging, unless your breakouts are typically on your chin, in which case maybe the system is just unearthing blemishes beneath the surface. I really hope that this resolves itself as I'm sure it's distressing! I have read on several different boards that some people have had a cystic reaction to nu derm, so it's not unheard of. Best of luck and keep me posted!
Bernarda

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
I am using Obagi Nu-Derm system now for 20 weeks. I decided to do it properly and do the whole treatment. For around week 6 I started to feel very happy with the results and I thought its worth it. It take me away my blemishes and sun damaged, and felt my overall skin looking clear and clean. However, now in week 20 I am getting very concern with the dryness of the skin. Because is so dry I feel that my skin is looking more wrinkly, something I didn't expect it to happens. My beauty therapists who is advising me in the plan to follow said to me its normal and will go away. Let say from week 17 I am waiting the dryness to go and it doesn't. I am getting quite disappointed.

Has anyone in this forum has a similar reaction? If somebody did, please could tell what did you do to sort it out?

Please, can you tell me your experience about and a possible solution. Thank you a lot. Bernie.
Zhenzhen
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone.
I am a green hand in this forum.Recently I am vastly interested in products of Obagi,especially its MD and Nu-derm. But I know that there are many fake Obagi products.Is there a 100% quality guarantee for Obagi in Essential Day Spa?
Hope this is not a rude question.
Any reply appreciated!Thanks a lot!!

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Zhenzhen,
Please tell me where are you from and I could perhaps give you some good places where to get the Obagi products. However going the the obagi website will advise you all the places who sell the legitimate obagi products.
Regrade, Bernarda.
Zhenzhen
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:49 am      Reply with quote
I am recently in NB,Canada. I know there is a authorized online Obagi dealer in Canada,but the dealer does not provide a direct order as ESD does.
Have you ever bought any Obagi product from ESD? Is it a ture Obagi product?

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |