Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
jennykree

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry that you are going through all this pain. I have heard that this is normal and a good sign that the product is working the way it is supposed to. I know that I have been on Tretinoin for a LONG time now, so I don't have any peeling or redness. I have literally been on it for five years probably. I am worried that I don't have the right reactions and I am worried if it is not working for me. It sounds like you are having the perfect reactions even though they are not pleasant reactions. I would stay stick with it!! I am sure that you will do just fine. Once your skin gets used to the Retin-A, you will have no redness or peeling. Good luck!
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hello nannap Smile People react differently on Obagi Nu-Derm. Some see improvements sooner, some not so much. When I first started long time ago, my doctor cautioned me that I would see a lot of peeling, dryness, flakiness, same as what you are experiencing now. In fact, at that time, I was horrified because all of sudden, I got "wrinkled skin" altogether! I was really horrified! But I sticked to it. What is happening right now is getting rid of old skin and renewing your skin from within.... Once new skin comes in, you will be experiencing less of this scenario.
My skin is clear now and much better than before(thanks to Obagi Nu-derm). The only advice I would give is that please use sunscreen of at least 30 SPF whenever you go outside. It is important to protect your skin all the time to avoid further damage.

nannap wrote:
Hi guys, I am on week 4 of obagi nu derm with 0.05 tretinoin. I have to say that I am having a real down day today as I was expecting to see just a glimmer of improvement but nothing at all. I have a red face constanly that resembles a pretty bad sunburn, my chin is peeling, my eyes look like i am a very old lady (before i had no lines) every time i smile its disgusting! i am breaking out with many white little spots and in general spots are coming up. my blackheads are far from improving, pores are still very open and noticable and i feel pretty awful for putting up wth such a red peely face for 4 weeks with not even a glimmer of improvement. I know tretinoin makes face worse first but after 4 weeks nothing but side effcts seems a bit demotivating considering people seem to see improvements within 2 weeks with a wow effect. Do i give up? i keep reading in forums that people had this wow effect after 2 weeks or so and i am starting to think I am one of the unlucky ones... this is really not worth the red face, peeling and the huge expense...Is this really worth it?
Osan

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Does Obagi clear should be applied around the eyes?
nannap

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:30 am      Reply with quote
debatable about under eyes as some people say it works for them and some find it way too harsh but my doctor told me not to apply the products around my eyes. good luck
nannap

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 am      Reply with quote
i am on week 6 now of the aggressive Nu derm, the face is still super red, super flakey and make up (even mineral) is not working too well as am so dry. I have seem absolutely no improvements as yet but skin is looking very bad-pores v big, spots coming up, blackheads very noticible, red and peely. I know skin is supposed to get worse before better but I feel I need some encouragement here as I feel pretty low about it. Can any users please tell me how long it took you to see results? what was the improvement in pores, spots, wrinkles, blackheads, undereye better(am not using products under eyes but they are so dry as i think the products still get to the eye skin)? Any info is greatly appreciated as I feel like I want a spotty red lollipop at the moment!
d.m.h

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:43 am      Reply with quote
I am sorry but my English is not god. I hope you will understand.
Nannp I have a same problem. My fourth "Obagi week" has just started. I am on a full Obagi program. I am using Obagi on my upper end dawn lids. I can`t see a big improvement. My pigmentation faded away. My skin is lighter and smoother but still red but not a whole day. I don`t hide my face longer.
My skin is flaky around my eyes, chin and nose. But the wrinkles around my eyes... omg... I am looking 20 years older. I don`t dare to smile. And my pores... They where enlarged before and they are enlarged now. They are just ugly! I don`t believe longer that Obagi will do something with my pores. And it`s so difficult to disguise them. But my blackheads are almost disappeared. But for two days age I got a big pimple on my chin. It was the first one after 3 weeks on Obagi.
I will meet soon my beautician and ask her about my eyes and pores. I have to make an appointment.
Nannp I can only say that I don`t want to give up and I will to continue my Obagi program.
I have spent a lot of money on Obagi`s products and I really want to look better. Yet 8 weeks remain.
Kind regads!
Chauberry
5% products discount

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:39 am      Reply with quote
I am on my 16th week, stick with it! Texture improved but my face is still slightly red. But finally last week, my pimples are gone, and dark spots all fading. It is a long but worthwhile processed, do not be discouraged by anything before 16weeks because th reaction and tolerance phase each take 6-8 weeks.
desertpalm

Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Just applied Clear in the AM! Can I use ANY moisturizer or is that forbidden?

Had a consultation w/ Dr. Obagi & he recommended Clear + Blender AM & PM...but sounds like that is very aggressive for my melasma which is just on my cheeks.

Suggestions?
ithinkican
5% products discount

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I have read so many of your experiences in preparation for this adventure. Thanks for all the knowledge you have each shared here. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences soon.
d.m.h

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi!
I don`t use any moisture because it is not recommended.
I have been using Obagi in 4 weeks and 3 days now.
On my bad Obagi days I used a little intensive care repair cream from Natusan baby because my face was so tight and flaky. I feel much better now and I don`t need any other cream. I am using only Obagi.
I can`t see any new improvements on my face but it is OK. I am patient but it makes me a little bit frustrated. And I don`t like my enlarged pores :/
girly girl

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
I have no hair color issues either nor any discoloration on my pillow. Just the nails! I'll keep watching (and washing) to make sure they don't turn brown. I do think that having manicures periodically helps with the yellowing!
All of my nails have turned brown at week 11 except thumb nails! I'm really getting concerned about using the obagi products. Please help Sad
desertpalm

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 am      Reply with quote
I'm using cleanser, toner, clear, sunscreen am plus cleanser, toner, clear, blender w/ retin-A .5 pm. Day 5 sees redness, swelling, & the first dry peeling/cracking around the perimeters of the dark, melasma marks on my nose & cheeks - so something is happening!

My question is: is it ok for the clear to sting a bit when first applied? Also, when I try to rub in the clear or blender, it goes on clear, but then turns white the more I rub. It eventually dries clear...is this normal?

Thx:)
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hello desertpalm Smile Already replied to you under "Skin Care and Make Up Forum" section of this website....

desertpalm wrote:
I'm using cleanser, toner, clear, sunscreen am plus cleanser, toner, clear, blender w/ retin-A .5 pm. Day 5 sees redness, swelling, & the first dry peeling/cracking around the perimeters of the dark, melasma marks on my nose & cheeks - so something is happening!

My question is: is it ok for the clear to sting a bit when first applied? Also, when I try to rub in the clear or blender, it goes on clear, but then turns white the more I rub. It eventually dries clear...is this normal?

Thx:)
rachelle143

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I'm a new member of the forum. I signed up as soon as I saw so many helpful posts relating to the Obagi nu-derm line, which I'm desperate to try out.

I'm a foreigner living in the UK at the moment so I just want to know if anybody here is from the UK as well and is patiently to help me answer these following questions:

1. Have you ever bought the products from EDS? How much did you have to pay for customs, tax, handling fee, etc.? Do all the customs/tax procedures take lots of time to do (sorry, I'm a foreigner Sad )? FYI, I bought the full sizes of clear, blender and exfoderm-forte which cost totally around £140 with free shipping.

2. Has anybody ever heard of skinstation.co.uk? Is it a good UK substitute for EDS? Do they sell genuine obagi products?

I appreciate all your helps a lot Very Happy . Thank you!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:29 am      Reply with quote
girly girl wrote:
kims wrote:
I have no hair color issues either nor any discoloration on my pillow. Just the nails! I'll keep watching (and washing) to make sure they don't turn brown. I do think that having manicures periodically helps with the yellowing!
All of my nails have turned brown at week 11 except thumb nails! I'm really getting concerned about using the obagi products. Please help Sad

Hi Girly Girl,
Are you making sure that you are washing the products off of your hands and under your nails
completely? If you are under a doctor's care, I would definitely advise them of the situation. There is another poster (Rileygirl) who also got "black nail" while using the Obagi products. The culprit is usually the hydroquinine. She found that the enzyme levels in her liver were elevated after some blood work. You might check into the products that do not contain HQ. Hope things turn out well.

5% products discount

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone, sorry for resurrecting this old thread, I thought it better than posting a new one.
I am new to the EDS forum and I am enjoying reading through the Obagi threads. I just started the Obagi Nuderm system, I am on day #9. I have had peeling and tightness and some slight redness too. I apply it on my neck also, my skin is more sensitive there so the peeling is worse and it does hurt a little and is quite itchy.

I am mainly using Obagi because I have very blotchy skin and lots of left over acne marks (marks NOT scars, no indentation, the marks are flat against my skin). I am of a darker complexion, medium brown I guess. Are any of you similarly complected as me? Because pretty much everyone here talks about major redness and in reality I wont get very red because I am not fair skinned. So I was just wondering if there were any members on this thread battling the same problem as I am and how they have fared.

Thanks everyone! EDS is the best, I have learned so very much here already.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:05 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
girly girl wrote:
kims wrote:

Hi Girly Girl,
Are you making sure that you are washing the products off of your hands and under your nails
completely? If you are under a doctor's care, I would definitely advise them of the situation. There is another poster (Rileygirl) who also got "black nail" while using the Obagi products. The culprit is usually the hydroquinine. She found that the enzyme levels in her liver were elevated after some blood work. You might check into the products that do not contain HQ. Hope things turn out well.
Hi Kims,
I did call my dermatologist and spoke to Beau who works in the spa and he said he had never heard of anybody's nails turning brown using the Obagi. I told him that I was rinsing my hands off with warm water in between applying each product and when I was through I washed my hands and up under my nails with warm water and hand soap. He told me to start wearing gloves so I did. I am now seeing that my nails are really starting to get back to normal but can't say if it's all because of the gloves or because (of illness)I went 2 weeks without using the nite products wich was the clear and blender/trentinoin. I did still use the morning products wich was clear,exfoderm and sunfader so not really sure if it was the gloves or because I was only doing it once a day. I'm now back to the am and pm routine and can't be any happier with my face! Hopefully in just a few more days my nails will be completely back to normal. I would tell anybody who is using the Obagi to be on the safe side and wear gloves because my nail beds were very brown and has taken 2 months to clear up!!! Very Happy
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
girly girl wrote:
I would tell anybody who is using the Obagi to be on the safe side and wear gloves because my nail beds were very brown and has taken 2 months to clear up!!! Very Happy

I apply Obagi products with my ring finger and that nail turned brown and my middle fingernail turned light brown. Now that I am on maintenance, my ring fingernail is still light brown and the middle fingernail cleared up. I assume it is the hydroquinone.

Read on another board that Obagi Vitamin C serum causes brown nails due to Vitamin A absorption of the porous nails (assume they were using Obagi's C serum that has 4% hydroquinone).

Here is an interesting development: I had to get a live scan fingerprint and my ring finger had no marks - no fingerprint as it was too smooth! I had been fingerprinted in the past (but not live scan) and never had any issues. I wonder if it is the acids in the Exfoderm that wore off my fingerprint?
havana8

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:32 am      Reply with quote
IWantFlawlessSkin wrote:
Hi Everyone, sorry for resurrecting this old thread, I thought it better than posting a new one.
I am new to the EDS forum and I am enjoying reading through the Obagi threads. I just started the Obagi Nuderm system, I am on day #9. I have had peeling and tightness and some slight redness too. I apply it on my neck also, my skin is more sensitive there so the peeling is worse and it does hurt a little and is quite itchy.

I am mainly using Obagi because I have very blotchy skin and lots of left over acne marks (marks NOT scars, no indentation, the marks are flat against my skin). I am of a darker complexion, medium brown I guess. Are any of you similarly complected as me? Because pretty much everyone here talks about major redness and in reality I wont get very red because I am not fair skinned. So I was just wondering if there were any members on this thread battling the same problem as I am and how they have fared.

Thanks everyone! EDS is the best, I have learned so very much here already.

Not sure if you've seen this older thread:

Women of colour using obagi
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31995

p.s. welcome to the forum wave
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi Girly Girl,
Gloves may be the answer for you. Glad it's working out and that you're happy with the results! Smile

5% products discount

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:20 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the Obagi Nu Derm system for 9 weeks now. On the left side of my face, a big red pimple poped up. I think it might be coz of the obagi. Is the pimple gonna disappear ?
trenttong
5% products discount

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Another question ... I use Obagi mainly for the hyperpigmentation on the left side of my face. I have been on the system for 9 weeks now and I would say the pigmentation has reduced at least 50%. I would say the most reduction happened in week 2 and week 8, sometimes, my pigmentation improves in just 1 or 2 days and I get this "WOW" feeling.

I am wondering whether the pigmentation is going to improve over the next 10 weeks till the end of the regime ?
Chauberry
5% products discount

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I did 24 weeks, and am in 6 weeks maintenance. Lightening continues, and I read that even more effects are seen in the next full round.
trenttong
5% products discount

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:51 am      Reply with quote
next round meaning another 18-weeks a couple months later ? that would make sense as the old skins keep getting replaced by new ones and some pigmentation may be deeper so that it takes more time for them to get replaced.
Chauberry
5% products discount

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:56 am      Reply with quote
they say once a year do 12-18 weeks of the full regimen, and maintenance in between Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |