Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:33 am      Reply with quote
ldeenen wrote:
Hi Rileygirl Can I use any 35+ sunscreen, or should I stick to the Skin Protection 35 from Obagi. It kinda makes your face white looking, and I would rather not. Thanks for your help again.

Yes, any good quality sunscreen can be used!
kohl1030

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:48 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Kohl1030,
Thanks for sharing your Obagi experience so far and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've had some highs and lows with Nuderm but you've got the "stick it out" approach which is what you need to have to be successful. Keep it up and keep sharing!

Finally my skin is clear. CLEAR CLEAR... I have some left over scarring from the severe breakouts that I had in the first couple of weeks. But those are going away everday. Question:: I stopped using the blender, just trying to make sure it wasnt what was breaking me out. Is that ok? Is is possible that the blender could have been the culprit. Im still using t the clear full force.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Kohl1030,
Are you using all the other Obagi products except for the Blender? I think it's pretty common for some people to have breakouts in the beginning as it's part of the "out with the old" philosophy. Since the Blender's job is to be used with the retin a in terms of helping with penetration into the skin, it might slow your results somewhat. Have you used the Blender/retin a combo since your skin cleared?

Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your review and sharing.
kohl1030

Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Kohl1030,
Are you using all the other Obagi products except for the Blender? I think it's pretty common for some people to have breakouts in the beginning as it's part of the "out with the old" philosophy. Since the Blender's job is to be used with the retin a in terms of helping with penetration into the skin, it might slow your results somewhat. Have you used the Blender/retin a combo since your skin cleared?
Yes, Im using all the other products. I just was wandering what exactly the blender does. I thought it just "softened the blow" of the retin-a. You think Im slowing my process, Ill try
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
kohl1030 wrote:
kims wrote:
Kohl1030,
Yes, Im using all the other products. I just was wandering what exactly the blender does. I thought it just "softened the blow" of the retin-a. You think Im slowing my process, Ill try

The Blender helps the Retin A penetrate deeper. You need to use that. It is a major step in Obagi.
SunDapple
5% products discount

Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
I started Obagi 7 weeks ago and I have to say that this process of flakiness and redness is totally worth it. After just 3 weeks the results were so dramatic that my husband, who normally doesn't comment on anything, took a close look at me and said "That stuff is working. You look ten years younger." (!!!!) A little while later he commented again. He must've been really impressed! I find that most of the sun-damaged dark, dark areas are almost gone. One spot was very dark, and had been there for more than 15 years.... gone in 3 weeks!

So now I'm on week seven. I went to a party this Saturday, and saw some friends that I haven't seen since the Spring. The next day I got an e-mail from a friend who had seen me at the party, asking if I had some "work done" because I looked "fabulous". I can see why someone might think that. My skin looks smoother and so much brighter. It looks so good most days I feel I can go without make-up. On the red, flakey days I use mineral make-up to tone down the red, or just a little bronzer, and I'm good to go.

I am so happy with the results from just seven weeks, I wonder what the next eleven will hold. Can it really get better?

I do wonder if anyone has used the neck and chest "decolletage" products? Years of sun-worshipping has caused some damage there as well. I would love to have my chest and neck blend in with my face. Does anyone know if that system is as effective?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Congrats, sundapple. Yes, your results will still in the coming weeks. Save your money and use your Nu Derm products on your neck and chest (no Exfoderm on that area - just Clear, Blender/Retin A) and start with twice a week, then slowly move to 3 times a week - no more than that. This will improve that area nicely. Good luck!
janegd
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:44 am      Reply with quote
SunDapple wrote:
Hi,
I started Obagi 7 weeks ago and I have to say that this process of flakiness and redness is totally worth it. After just 3 weeks the results were so dramatic that my husband, who normally doesn't comment on anything, took a close look at me and said "That stuff is working. You look ten years younger." (!!!!) A little while later he commented again. He must've been really impressed! I find that most of the sun-damaged dark, dark areas are almost gone. One spot was very dark, and had been there for more than 15 years.... gone in 3 weeks!

So now I'm on week seven. I went to a party this Saturday, and saw some friends that I haven't seen since the Spring. The next day I got an e-mail from a friend who had seen me at the party, asking if I had some "work done" because I looked "fabulous". I can see why someone might think that. My skin looks smoother and so much brighter. It looks so good most days I feel I can go without make-up. On the red, flakey days I use mineral make-up to tone down the red, or just a little bronzer, and I'm good to go.

I am so happy with the results from just seven weeks, I wonder what the next eleven will hold. Can it really get better?

I do wonder if anyone has used the neck and chest "decolletage" products? Years of sun-worshipping has caused some damage there as well. I would love to have my chest and neck blend in with my face. Does anyone know if that system is as effective?

congratulations, Sundapple! It is the most encouraging to see your good news. I am in my week 3. I should say i can easily see the results though I know I still have a long way to go and I have flakies and redness .... anyway, at least i know i can expect something in the near future after the sufferrings. thanks
SunDapple
5% products discount

Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
janegd wrote:
.....I know I still have a long way to go and I have flakies and redness .... anyway, at least i know i can expect something in the near future after the sufferrings. thanks

Hang in there is all I can say. Smile
We were driving home from a little 3 day vacation and while I was in the car my face started to flake. My husband commented on the flakes as I brushed them off. I told him I was just leaving a little DNA in his car. I've been watching too much CSI. Smile
SunDapple
5% products discount

Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Congrats, sundapple. Yes, your results will still in the coming weeks. Save your money and use your Nu Derm products on your neck and chest (no Exfoderm on that area - just Clear, Blender/Retin A) and start with twice a week, then slowly move to 3 times a week - no more than that. This will improve that area nicely. Good luck!

Thank you for the tip. I really appreciate it. Saving that money to spend on something else will help. Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
SunDapple wrote:
Thank you for the tip. I really appreciate it. Saving that money to spend on something else will help. Very Happy

You're welcome. I hear you on the saving money!
ldeenen
5% products discount

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:44 am      Reply with quote
I have been on Obagi for about 7 weeks, but have3 stopped this week because I am going south in 2 weeks and do not want to be red faced. My spa girl wants me to switch to Obagi FX while away. Is this stuff really necessary or would any regular moisturizer etc do just as well? Not sure if I should spend the money on the FX.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:57 am      Reply with quote
ldeenen wrote:
I have been on Obagi for about 7 weeks, but have3 stopped this week because I am going south in 2 weeks and do not want to be red faced. My spa girl wants me to switch to Obagi FX while away. Is this stuff really necessary or would any regular moisturizer etc do just as well? Not sure if I should spend the money on the FX.

My personal opinion is that it would be a waste of money. Maybe she doesn't want you to totally stop the products? The FX are the same products without the Hydroquinone. Obviously you will delay your 18 weeks by stopping for now, but I would just pick back up when you return. If possible, I would continue with the Retin A while you are away, even if it is just a few times a week so you would not be starting totally over.
ldeenen
5% products discount

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rileygirl
Any ideas on what kind of moisturiser I could use. After I use the toner and Vic C oil, my skin feels very dry.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:23 am      Reply with quote
ldeenen wrote:
Hi Rileygirl
Any ideas on what kind of moisturiser I could use. After I use the toner and Vic C oil, my skin feels very dry.

Can't help you much there, as I believe that with the Nu Derm you should not be using moisturizer. You could take a look at the Obagi over the counter line and look at their daytime moisturizer (ZO skin health).
SunDapple
5% products discount

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:50 am      Reply with quote
ldeenen wrote:
Hi Rileygirl

I am experiencing something similar. I am in week 9 and all along my face has been red and sore from time to time, but last week the skin on my cheeks and cheekbones started to crease along with the redness, so now my face looks like red leather, worse than just a chapped appearance. I'm convinced that I should not be using the O Condition & Enhance line, and so I am replacing the products, as I use them up, with the Nu Derm and I am switching myself to the regular Exfoderm vs. the Exfoderm Forte.

I am not thrilled with my esthetician, the last time I was there I felt that she was more interested in selling me product rather than taking a close look at my skin and suggesting tips that would help me through this process.

Lastly, can anyone direct me to the list of abbreviations for commonly used terms? I saw it once, but now can't find it again. Confused
Thanks!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
SunDapple wrote:
Lastly, can anyone direct me to the list of abbreviations for commonly used terms? I saw it once, but now can't find it again. Confused
Thanks![/color]

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3228

I think that is the link you are looking for, sundapple.

As for the condition and enhance versus the Nu Derm, I think they are the exact same. The Exfoderm is included in the dry skin kit and the Exfoderm Forte is included in the oily skin kit.
SunDapple
5% products discount

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Rileygirl, that is exactly what I was looking for. Smile
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I completed all 18 weeks last year and was on maintenace . But I started to use full again from thanksgiving week. Now I have a red and a peeling severely. Weird thig is when I first started Obagi last year, I didn't have that much peeling (just bearable flakiness (no peeling) and dryness). This time,,,OMG, my face is burning and peeling crazy. I rub so hard in the shower and I got a lot of red scars all over my face. It is painful...Why this thing happend?? I though (assume) since this is second time, it will be more mild reaction. But I was wrong.....I feel so dry and I can't open my eyelid and look so old(crinkled up my eye area). Is there anything for my eye which makes it a little less wrinkle???
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi, azumma. Just use any eye cream you like around your eye area. It should at least help with the crinkles. There is a big thread about hempseed oil. Maybe you could try that around your eye area after you have applied all your products?

As far as why a more severe reaction this time, I don't really know. Could be a change in weather, etc. Try not to rub too hard in the shower, as you may be making the burning worse. You can try to back off the amount of product and see if that helps get you through the rough patch.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Azumma,
I'm just curious, but how long were you on maintenance before you started the full 18 week regimen again? Since I started my first round in April '09 would I then begin my second round in April '10?

I also would've thought the second time around that the reaction wouldn't be as harsh. Wow! Are you using all the same products as before? Any increase in percent of retin a? I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the "Obagiface" again!! Let us know how you're doing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Azumma,
I'm just curious, but how long were you on maintenance before you started the full 18 week regimen again? Since I started my first round in April '09 would I then begin my second round in April '10?

I also would've thought the second time around that the reaction wouldn't be as harsh. Wow! Are you using all the same products as before? Any increase in percent of retin a? I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the "Obagiface" again!! Let us know how you're doing.

You can do the 18 weeks all over again, kims, in 1 years time, but I would follow your derms advice. Some people need to, others don't have to do it that often.

I am wondering about the harshness the second time around and thinking (just thinking out loud here so to speak) if it would be similar to peels. Meaning, the more often you do a peel, the better/deeper the results because your skin is getting more and more exfoliated. So, they build on one another. I wonder if something like that could be going on?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rileygirl,
You could be right about that! If that's the case then the second time around could really refine your initial results -- which would be great. With that, maybe you could get away with less than 18 weeks on the full regime??

Hopefully, Azumma will keep us updated on her results.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for Riley...but from Dec 19, my skin got better .still got some crinkled under my eye area..
Except that, my skin got much better. For my first round, I improved my skin tone but still had some freckles remained. But this time, Better result regarding my freckles.. I didn't change Tretinoin cream level and am using full Obagi system.
AM: cleanser, toner, clear, exfordem
PM: cleanser, toner, clear, blender w/ Tretinoin cream 0.025g.
I am using exactly the same full regime as I did for my first round.
It has been tough for 4 weeks but the result was better this time. I think my skin now react to the Obagi product like other people. Because during the first try 18 weeks, I didn't have any severe peeling experienc at all. I just got a little itchy and dried symptom (little bit stretchy and a little peeling only around my mouth area) that was it. But my skin got smoother and my freckles got lighter. But not disappeared at all.
But now, I can tell my skin is so clear and my freckles almost gone about 90% disappeared..... Bad Grin Brick wall I love it. It was really painful but now I look much better and feel better. Riley, yes, I will try to apply eye cream around my eyes . Thanks for your tip always.Horray!!! I still have some scars left on my face since I scratched a lot. Except that, my skin looks fabulous!!!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |