Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Everyone!! Sure hope I'm on the right thread -- there's just so many about Obagi that I'm not exactly sure where to go! Anyway, I'm finishing up my 5th week with the NuDerm system and while I'm seeing some subtle changes, I also know that I've still got a long way to go! I do have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with:
1. I've read several posts on the forum where people are talking about their skin "thinning" or "thickening." How can you tell if it's thinning or thickening?
2. What is "skin fatigue?" If this occurs, will your skin stop improving?
3. Has anyone used an LED device while on Nuderm? Results? I recently purchased an Omnilux New U and would like to know if it's ok?
I apologize for the length of this post ,but am seeking some guidance. Thanks a ton!
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
You can generally tell your skin is thinning when you see larger pores developing, can see lots of broken caps, and skin is easily scratched or marked and takes a long time to heal, creases from the sleeping on the pillow take longer to fill in. There is no plumpness or elasticity to it. You will burn and develop hyperpigmentation more readily when exposed to sun. It may turn red easily when exposed to environmental or cosmetic elements.

A thick skin or epidermis, on the other hand, has the opposite appearance, smaller pores, plumper and thicker appearing, elastic, not as prone to sun damage or hyperpigmentation, doesn't turn red easily.

As far as the fatique explanation, it's not a commonly used term in the skin care industry and not many people know what it means. Dr Huber has a very detailed explanation of this on page 103 of the 302 thread. Look for his post in blue, it's very in depth and detailed.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Boski,
Thanks so much for the help! I really want to make sure I understand the skin terminology. This forum is truly a wealth of information. I'll go back to the 302 thread and see what Dr. H has to say about "Skin fatigue."

Anyone else know about using an LED with Obagi Nu
Derm??
vacarno
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
vacarno wrote:
I ordered C10 from EDS 6 months ago,and a stinging sensation happened on my face after my prime usage.
but there is an question that confuse me: because of the unstability of VC, why it is suggested to use at day time~~? Question Question

The C is suggested to use in the day time as extra protection for your skin from the sun when used with your sunscreen.

Thank you so much for your kindly reply~~ Very Happy Very Happy
VanessaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me if they have had this happen? I have been using Obagi for 6 weeks. Retin A .05% At about week 4/5 my face looked great! Now at week 6 I can see my brown spots coming back and my skin doesn't look as good. I am commited to finishing the 18/24 week time frame. Any help or ideas? Thanks!!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi Vanessa, I'm kind of having the same situation as you. In fact, I could swear that I've got new hyperpigmentation! I'm in the middle of my 6th week so I know it's early on. Like you, I'm committed to continuing the whole regime (18-24) weeks or whatever it takes. I've read through many of the Obagi posts and I do believe it is the "gold standard" for a lot of skin issues. I do wonder if the products are in fact working to push damage within the dermal level to the surface. I feel pretty certain that in my case, my pigmentation problems are not superficial but deeply embedded. Maybe that's what we're dealing with?? Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Sometimes the pigmentation does get darker for a while before lightening again. But, what sunscreen are you all using? What is your sun exposure time daily, etc, and are you wearing hats, reapplying sunscreen when out in the sun?
VanessaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for responding so quickly Kims & Rileygirl! I am wearing the Obaji 35 sunsreen everyday. I reapply it probably 3/4 times a day. I also wear a hat most of the time. I live in Fl so I have brown spots from the sun. The only time I don't wear a hat is going in & out of the grocery or other stores. I do like how my skin feels for sure. I think I am also getting a new brown spot surfacing on my cheek Confused I'm glad to know that we (Kims) will be on this journey together! Any ideas Rileygirl? Thanks!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
VanessaB, I am in FL, too! First thing would be how much are you applying? Do you apply the 1/4 tsp amount for your face? If you don't, I would try to make sure you are applying enough every time you apply it.

If you already are doing that, I would think about trying a different sunscreen. You may want to try one of the skinceuticals sunscreen. The best that I found when I was doing Nu Derm was called Dr. Lewinns. You have to buy it on line. It is really a thick paste that goes on thick, but it sinks in pretty quickly. The only deal with this sunscreen is that it will leave you a little pale looking (but so did the skinceuticals and the Obagi one on my skin).

The only other thing I can think of is maybe trying one of the mineral powder sunscreens to apply on top of whatever sunscreen you are using (as long as the sunscreen is physical) to see if that will offer you extra protection.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
VanessaB wrote:
Thanks for responding so quickly Kims & Rileygirl! I am wearing the Obaji 35 sunsreen everyday. I reapply it probably 3/4 times a day. I also wear a hat most of the time. I live in Fl so I have brown spots from the sun. The only time I don't wear a hat is going in & out of the grocery or other stores. I do like how my skin feels for sure. I think I am also getting a new brown spot surfacing on my cheek Confused I'm glad to know that we (Kims) will be on this journey together! Any ideas Rileygirl? Thanks!

Are you using a Vitamin C product that contains l-ascorbic acid in the morning? That may help with the pigmentation and I think you can use it while you're on Nuderm.
VanessaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies. Rileygirl thanks for the tip. I feel like I am applying, applying & applying sunscreen Very Happy I will look that up online. Can you say what part of Fl you are from? Im near W. Palm Beach. I haven't been wearing any kind of foundation since starting. Maybe I will try the powder sunscreen as well. I feel like any given day my complexion changes! Thanks again for the replys.
VanessaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Jom I am only using the oily/ regular nu derm. No vitiamn C products now. I do have the C night cream should I use it instead of the clear at night? Any thoughts?
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
VanessaB wrote:
Jom I am only using the oily/ regular nu derm. No vitiamn C products now. I do have the C night cream should I use it instead of the clear at night? Any thoughts?

I'll let Rileygirl answer that, she's the Nuderm expert. But I think from some of her other posts she has said you can use a Vitamin C product but no creams or moisturizers while you're on Nuderm.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 5:35 am      Reply with quote
VanessaB, I am in Orlando.

Jom is right, no creams, etc. So, if you could get your hands on a liquid C (Obagi has several topical C serums, skinceuticals C, E, Ferulic or their Phloretin, etc), you could try to add that, as well. I really believe the Skinceuticals C, E, Ferulic made a huge difference with the lightening of freckles on my skin while I was on the Nu Derm. It takes time, though. Try a topical C and maybe switch the sunscreen to see how you do that way. (For the topical C, you apply that in the morning only - after the toner before the Clear.) Good luck!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi All,
I just received my Vit C today so I'll start using it in the morning after the toner. I'm hoping it will help with sun protection. As far as sunscreen, I'm using the Sunfader 15 and then switching between the Obagi 35 and NIA 24 on top of it. Maybe, I need something stronger?? I'll check out some of the suggestions you guys have made. I stay out of the sun as much as possible, but I do like to garden and, of course, summer is here! I live in the midwest, but I probably need to get some serious sun protection. I think I need a total sunblock for my face. I'm also using Jane Iredale mineral/powder foundation as well. It also has sunscreen. Thanks to everyone for help and support! Smile Also, what's a good sunscreen for oily skin??

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi All,
I just received my Vit C today so I'll start using it in the morning after the toner. I'm hoping it will help with sun protection. As far as sunscreen, I'm using the Sunfader 15 and then switching between the Obagi 35 and NIA 24 on top of it. Maybe, I need something stronger?? I'll check out some of the suggestions you guys have made. I stay out of the sun as much as possible, but I do like to garden and, of course, summer is here! I live in the midwest, but I probably need to get some serious sun protection. I think I need a total sunblock for my face. I'm also using Jane Iredale mineral/powder foundation as well. It also has sunscreen. Thanks to everyone for help and support! Smile Also, what's a good sunscreen for oily skin??

Kims, I don't know the ingredients in all the Obagi sunscreens but I think you may want to check on that, as applying one sunscreen on top of another can sometimes cancel the sunscreen out depending on ingredients. Same thing with putting the JI mineral powder on top of some sunscreens. I'm sorry but I can't remember now which ones cancel each other out. Do a board search here, as I know it was discussed somewhere! You might also want to do a board search on MUA, as they discuss the sunscreens a lot.
VanessaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Kims, What vit c did you get? I have found that Neutrogena sunscreen in the 70 is not bad. It is not too greasy either. I have oily skin also. Try it and see.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Rileygirl! This is so tricky... If I'm not able to wear JL mineral foundation, what would you suggest? The last thing I want to do is cancel out my sunscreen!! Maybe, I should just stay with the Obagi products completely --ss and all. Anyway, I will do some searches and see what I come up with.

VanessaB: I bought the Skin Essentials Vit C 15%. I also like Neutrogena sunscreen. I do think we do need a higher spf than 35.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Thanks Rileygirl! This is so tricky... If I'm not able to wear JL mineral foundation, what would you suggest? The last thing I want to do is cancel out my sunscreen!! Maybe, I should just stay with the Obagi products completely --ss and all. Anyway, I will do some searches and see what I come up with.

VanessaB: I bought the Skin Essentials Vit C 15%. I also like Neutrogena sunscreen. I do think we do need a higher spf than 35.

The sunscreen ingredient to stay away from if you use mineral makeup is avobenzone. It cancels out the sunscreen in mineral makeup.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
The sunscreen ingredient to stay away from if you use mineral makeup is avobenzone. It cancels out the sunscreen in mineral makeup.

Thanks, jom! So, kims, just check the ingredients in all of your sunscreens to see if that is in any of them - you may still be able to wear your JI.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Jom! I'll be sure and check the ingredients on my sunscreens. What a difference 20 years makes!! At that time, I was buying some tropical oil sun tan lotion with maybe an SPF of 4. If I only I knew... Sad And now, I'm digging out my reading glasses and scrutinizing all the details!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
And now, I'm digging out my reading glasses and scrutinizing all the details!

You and me both, Kims! Laughing (Just got my first pair of reading glasses. I definitely am feeling old!)
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
kims wrote:
And now, I'm digging out my reading glasses and scrutinizing all the details!

You and me both, Kims! Laughing (Just got my first pair of reading glasses. I definitely am feeling old!)

Laughing I can definately relate to digging out the reading glasses to read the fine print! The older I get the harder I squint!
edseds2009
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 19, 2009 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Obagi's suncare product is good, I used one several years ago. It is good.
VanessaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 19, 2009 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Kims: How is is going this week? I have definitely gotten a new brown spot on my cheek where there wasn't one. But I'm hoping it is just speeding up the process of bringing it to the surface. And for the next 6 weeks I will see more fading happening. Is your face red on some days and regular on others? Mine seems to get red in the afternoon.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |