Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



My Obagi experience

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
angelofthenorth
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 May 2011
Posts: 222
Tue May 24, 2011 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
sorry duplicated post
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Tue May 24, 2011 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
I understand! I finished all the Obagi products before replacing them with anything else: cleanser, toner, sunscreen.

I also feel it's important to use the Nuderm products for the first six weeks. They are designed to work together for the best results.

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Wed May 25, 2011 5:27 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:

I have this too. It isn't very noticeable on my face (probably because of Nuderm) but it's very noticeable on other parts of my body: chest, stomach, arms, and legs. I also think it's due to serious sun damage. Wish there was a way to get rid of it as well! Confused


Yes, I found that after 3 months or so on Nu Derm the hypopigmentation evened out to blend in nicely with the rest of my face, but I also have this on my arms. I definitely agree and think it is due to sun damage. Using the Nu Derm, the damage is being removed, so the white spots become more visible for a time and then even out - eventually! I think the only thing to do is using the HQ to lighten the surrounding skin, which then evens the look out. Otherwise, maybe certain types of lasers?
dianew
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Mar 2011
Posts: 95
Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 am      Reply with quote
That's comforting then - was worrying to wonder if the Nu-derm was making my skin worse in the long term...

I'm about at the 3 month mark already, but after having a slow start I'll just have to keep going for another couple - the permanently embarrassed appearance gets really old after a while though doesn't it?

Laughing

_________________
42, reddish-blonde hair, pale, combination skin with sun damage & hyperpigmentation issues. Using Obagi Nu-Derm system
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Thu May 26, 2011 5:45 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
kims wrote:

I have this too. It isn't very noticeable on my face (probably because of Nuderm) but it's very noticeable on other parts of my body: chest, stomach, arms, and legs. I also think it's due to serious sun damage. Wish there was a way to get rid of it as well! Confused


Yes, I found that after 3 months or so on Nu Derm the hypopigmentation evened out to blend in nicely with the rest of my face, but I also have this on my arms. I definitely agree and think it is due to sun damage. Using the Nu Derm, the damage is being removed, so the white spots become more visible for a time and then even out - eventually! I think the only thing to do is using the HQ to lighten the surrounding skin, which then evens the look out. Otherwise, maybe certain types of lasers?


I think I would have to be lasered all over! Laughing I wish I could use the Nuderm products on my chest, but every time I try, it breaks out horribly! Apparently, my chest is super-sensitive. At this point, I'm trying Skin Biology's Super Cop cream. I know it's slow-going with CP's but maybe I'll see some improvement!

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
Qwackertoo
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 May 2011
Posts: 30
Thu May 26, 2011 6:16 am      Reply with quote
kim, I tried the Skin Biology CP's a couple of years ago. The whole line, and didn't really see that much improvement and the Super Cop was too strong and most left my skin looking dirty & dingy with that awful green tint. Are they still like that?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Thu May 26, 2011 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Qwackertoo wrote:
kim, I tried the Skin Biology CP's a couple of years ago. The whole line, and didn't really see that much improvement and the Super Cop was too strong and most left my skin looking dirty & dingy with that awful green tint. Are they still like that?



I'm not using any of the CP's on my face -- just my chest. I started with the Body Lotion first and the creases I have from being a side sleeper seemed to "soften" a little. That's when I chose to bump up to Super Cop.

I haven't noticed a huge change in terms of hyper-pigmentation, but I know that CP's tend to be slow skin remodel program.

Since Super Cop is supposed to be so strong it's strange that it doesn't irritate my chest like the Nuderm products. No green tint here either-- the cream seems to soak into my skin.

Having said all that, I don't think I'd combine Copper Peptides and Nuderm at the same time!

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
Qwackertoo
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 May 2011
Posts: 30
Thu May 26, 2011 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
I've long since tossed all my SB products. So far not so bad on the Obagi. I'm on 1/2 g and the MWF for the Tret and the Exfoderm. Also not using Sun Fader on MWF since I read here so many were affected by it. I feel like I should be peeling more. My skin was really in well moisturized shape so maybe it will take another couple of days for it to "dry up".
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Thu May 26, 2011 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Qwackertoo wrote:
I've long since tossed all my SB products. So far not so bad on the Obagi. I'm on 1/2 g and the MWF for the Tret and the Exfoderm. Also not using Sun Fader on MWF since I read here so many were affected by it. I feel like I should be peeling more. My skin was really in well moisturized shape so maybe it will take another couple of days for it to "dry up".



I think you'll probably have more of the "effects" when you work your way up to using the products on a daily basis.

I know a lot of people seem to have problems with Sunfader, but I used it until I ran out --just didn't reorder it.

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
Qwackertoo
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 May 2011
Posts: 30
Thu May 26, 2011 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
kims, how long did it take you to work up to a daily use of the strongest two products? I'm a little nervous about having recital week the first full week of June and then leaving for vacation on June 29th, thinking I should just stay on MWF until mid July. Do you think I'd be wasting my time or should I go ahead and ramp up and hope the worst is over with by the 29th?

I figure IF it gets really bad, I have some Lavender Daybreak Farms products, Emu and some Jojoba products.

Thanks for all your information you share here on this forum. That is very kind of you!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Thu May 26, 2011 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
If you think your skin can tolerate it, you could try everything on a daily basis. Right before you have a special occasion, you can stop the products 4-5 days prior and your skin will return to normal.

When I was in the middle of Nuderm and went on vacation, I cut back on the products -- not wanting to be red and peely the whole time. But I always tried to use Clear in the p.m. and alternated Blender/Retin a. I just did not want to lose the results I had gained up to that point.

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
dianew
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Mar 2011
Posts: 95
Fri May 27, 2011 1:26 am      Reply with quote
when I've read posts on here from people who say their skin is weeping, & have open sores I've always thought ouch...

well now I'm getting this, 13 weeks in... not everyday, & not lots - 2 little patches about a week ago, & another this morning

did anyone work out what causes this? It's only happened since switching to the J&J tretinoin from ADC, which is creamy & seems to mix easier than the first lot I had... could it be not mixing it well enough & getting a pure dose in some patches that's the cause? Or missing a bit by not rubbing it in really well so there's a bit 'sitting' on the skin overnight to irritate it?

any advise gratefully received... the patches are like the top layer of skin is scraped off, with a layer of sebum covering them

they take a couple of days to scab over & disappear...

Confused

_________________
42, reddish-blonde hair, pale, combination skin with sun damage & hyperpigmentation issues. Using Obagi Nu-Derm system
Qwackertoo
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 May 2011
Posts: 30
Fri May 27, 2011 7:39 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:


When I was in the middle of Nuderm and went on vacation, I cut back on the products -- not wanting to be red and peely the whole time. But I always tried to use Clear in the p.m. and alternated Blender/Retin a. I just did not want to lose the results I had gained up to that point.


Did you skip Exfoderm or the "Forte" one while on vacation? How about the Sun Fader? I was thinking at least of leaving the SF at home so one less bottle to pack and I've ordered travel sizes of the Cleanser & Toner, figured the other bottles were already small enough and didn't warrant a special purchase.
Qwackertoo
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 May 2011
Posts: 30
Fri May 27, 2011 7:41 am      Reply with quote
I guess I need to go shopping for some sun hats. What kind of hats do y'all find fun and fashionable to wear? I have some baseball caps, a visor style cap from Disney and an old LL Bean sun hat but not very wide brim, not small not huge, from a trip to Switzerland a few years ago but not very stylish. Bad Grin
angelofthenorth
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 May 2011
Posts: 222
Fri May 27, 2011 8:37 am      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:
when I've read posts on here from people who say their skin is weeping, & have open sores I've always thought ouch...

well now I'm getting this, 13 weeks in... not everyday, & not lots - 2 little patches about a week ago, & another this morning

did anyone work out what causes this? It's only happened since switching to the J&J tretinoin from ADC, which is creamy & seems to mix easier than the first lot I had... could it be not mixing it well enough & getting a pure dose in some patches that's the cause? Or missing a bit by not rubbing it in really well so there's a bit 'sitting' on the skin overnight to irritate it?

any advise gratefully received... the patches are like the top layer of skin is scraped off, with a layer of sebum covering them

they take a couple of days to scab over & disappear...

Confused


diane I'm really sorry to hear that, it sounds really painful. I would findit hard to believe that you were not mixing it properly or getting a pure dose in some spots purely because of the nature of rubbing it in, which apart from taking ages to do, should ensure that by the end of the procedure, the product is well blended and evenly distributed, but I ccould be wrong. I hope someone can chime in and help you.

How long have you been using the J & J and when did you start to notice the problem? I'm also interested to know which brand of tret cream you were using before.

TIA
dianew
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Mar 2011
Posts: 95
Fri May 27, 2011 8:53 am      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:


How long have you been using the J & J and when did you start to notice the problem? I'm also interested to know which brand of tret cream you were using before.

TIA


I bought the generic .05 cream from Townsend Skin - at 59.99 a pop - which was a yellowish colour, and a bit thicker than the J&J stuff - took longer to mix in with the Blender (& had instructions in a foreign language only so I had to download those separately Smile )

I started on the J&J stuff a few weeks ago, & had the first 2 little patches (on the side of my nose, & a patch just on my jawline) last week

The latest patch is right on the tip of my nose... looks like I've scraped it on something Rolling Eyes

I'll try backing off on the amounts for a bit I think, & see how I go - I've read a few threads today where people have reported this as an early symptom... but thought I'd be over the worst of those by now...

_________________
42, reddish-blonde hair, pale, combination skin with sun damage & hyperpigmentation issues. Using Obagi Nu-Derm system
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Fri May 27, 2011 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:
angelofthenorth wrote:


How long have you been using the J & J and when did you start to notice the problem? I'm also interested to know which brand of tret cream you were using before.

TIA


I bought the generic .05 cream from Townsend Skin - at 59.99 a pop - which was a yellowish colour, and a bit thicker than the J&J stuff - took longer to mix in with the Blender (& had instructions in a foreign language only so I had to download those separately Smile )

I started on the J&J stuff a few weeks ago, & had the first 2 little patches (on the side of my nose, & a patch just on my jawline) last week

The latest patch is right on the tip of my nose... looks like I've scraped it on something Rolling Eyes

I'll try backing off on the amounts for a bit I think, & see how I go - I've read a few threads today where people have reported this as an early symptom... but thought I'd be over the worst of those by now...


Diane,
Are you still continuing with the 0.05% or did you move up in strength. I've used the J&J Retin a (0.05%) almost the whole time on Nuderm and never had a reaction like you're talking about. I have read of other people having this problem -- but usually closer to the beginning -- as you pointed out.

Did you add anything else new?? I would definitely give my skin a rest and heal before picking things up again. Have you applied Aquaphor?

Let us know how you're coming along!

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
angelofthenorth
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 May 2011
Posts: 222
Sat May 28, 2011 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi Diane,

I wanted to send this earlier but had already hit my quota of posts for today (it is so difficult for newbies like myself to have a conversation when we can only post 5 X a day!) It's really frustrating!!!

I can't believe that the Townsend generic tret cream cost so much, it's virtually the same as the Obagi one Shock!

I started using the J & J cream you sent me and it is actually thicker than the obagi one, I must admit the Obagi one is lighter/less greasy, easier to mix with the blender, and feels nicer on the skin (it wants to and all for that price). I haven't noticed any problems with the J & J yet, but then its only been 2 days so far.

I think if you have used it for a few weeks, it's unlikely to be a reaction to the cream and is more likely to be your skins response to the system, i.e. one of the phases you are going through of the cycle.

Something I've not really noticed anyone discussing is the paragraph at the bottom of the page in the handbook, that explains the different cycles your skin will go through whilst on the programme.

It says, "The amount of time required for each phase depends on the condition of your skin and the specific protocol your physician recommends."

It then says, "You will experience every phase, each of which can last from 1 to 3 skin cycles (average cycle = 40 days)".

Technically, if I'm understanding correctly, the "out with the old" phase could continue for upto 120 days, which is approximately equivalent to 3 months. This could mean that for some people the whole programme could take upto a maximum of 9 months continuous use to get to phase 4, when you can move on to maintenance.

This could be why you are experiencing phase 1 (1-6 wks) symptoms when you're thinking you should be entering phase 3 (13-18 wks). It may also explain why some people have used the system for 18/24 wks and have not achieved their desired results or seen any difference to their skin. We all have different skin types in different conditions, I think it makes perfect sense as an explanation but I could be wrong. What does everyone else think on this?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Sat May 28, 2011 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Qwackertoo wrote:
kims wrote:


When I was in the middle of Nuderm and went on vacation, I cut back on the products -- not wanting to be red and peely the whole time. But I always tried to use Clear in the p.m. and alternated Blender/Retin a. I just did not want to lose the results I had gained up to that point.


Did you skip Exfoderm or the "Forte" one while on vacation? How about the Sun Fader? I was thinking at least of leaving the SF at home so one less bottle to pack and I've ordered travel sizes of the Cleanser & Toner, figured the other bottles were already small enough and didn't warrant a special purchase.



I did skip Sunfader and the Exfoderm Forte while on vacation. I just didn't want to deal with a constant red face and flaky skin the whole time!

As for hats, I can't help you much there...as I never wear one, but probably should! Have you seen the Obagi hats?? I saw them for sale on Ebay.

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Sat May 28, 2011 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Angel,
I think you bring up some very important points about the Nuderm system and the length of time someone may need to stay on the program.

It stands to reason that the older you are, the more sun damage your skin may have incurred. I know this is very true for me since I didn't start seriously taking care of my skin until I started Nuderm. In fact, I did not see results until about the 12 week mark. I think this is also true for Rileygirl. And, that's also why I continued the full protocol for almost 28 weeks before heading into maintenance.

We all may respond so differently to this program. Some report tremendous results in as little as four weeks; for others it may be four months! My guess is that the people who say that Obagi did nothing for them is that they simply did not use it long enough.

Overall, we definitely know that Nuderm is not a "quick fix" but rather an investment in our time, money, and patience. It's definitely a commitment!

*Diane, let us know how you're doing!

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
dianew
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Mar 2011
Posts: 95
Sat May 28, 2011 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
@ angel: that's probably what's happening... I'm still in the 'purging' phase... while I'm too pale to have been a sun worshipper in my youth, I've only recently (last few years) used spf properly so no doubt have a lot of damage to reverse... plus use of a sunbed in my 20s (which just made me oddly stripy... Bad Grin )

@kims: no new sores thank goodness - just looks like I grazed my nose - I applied everything last night, but a bit less than usual, & rubbed it in extra well - all seems ok... how's your 6 week kick-start going?

_________________
42, reddish-blonde hair, pale, combination skin with sun damage & hyperpigmentation issues. Using Obagi Nu-Derm system
angelofthenorth
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 May 2011
Posts: 222
Sat May 28, 2011 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
I would really like to try out queen helene's mint julep mask. I've read some fantastic reviews about it. Do you think I could incorporate it into the nu derm regime maybe once a week a couple of hours before my PM routine? Or should I wit a few more weeks (I;m at wk5) or just wait until maintenance to add additional products?

I'm thinking it could help with the flaking/peeling, pores and blackheads.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Sat May 28, 2011 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:
I would really like to try out queen helene's mint julep mask. I've read some fantastic reviews about it. Do you think I could incorporate it into the nu derm regime maybe once a week a couple of hours before my PM routine? Or should I just wait until maintenance to add additional products?

I'm thinking it could help with the flaking/peeling, pores and blackheads.


I don't know about this particular mask. However, I have used NCN's Pro Pumpkin Peel. It contains 30% glycolic, lactic, salicylic and fruit acids. It smells absolutely heavenly!

To be honest, I can't remember exactly when I first used it. If you choose to do a mask, just be really careful and "listen" to your skin. I'm not sure I would apply any of the Nuderm products on the same day; your skin could be entirely too sensitive.

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
Qwackertoo
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 May 2011
Posts: 30
Sun May 29, 2011 5:41 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Qwackertoo wrote:
kims wrote:


When I was in the middle of Nuderm and went on vacation, I cut back on the products -- not wanting to be red and peely the whole time. But I always tried to use Clear in the p.m. and alternated Blender/Retin a. I just did not want to lose the results I had gained up to that point.


Did you skip Exfoderm or the "Forte" one while on vacation? How about the Sun Fader? I was thinking at least of leaving the SF at home so one less bottle to pack and I've ordered travel sizes of the Cleanser & Toner, figured the other bottles were already small enough and didn't warrant a special purchase.



I did skip Sunfader and the Exfoderm Forte while on vacation. I just didn't want to deal with a constant red face and flaky skin the whole time!

As for hats, I can't help you much there...as I never wear one, but probably should! Have you seen the Obagi hats?? I saw them for sale on Ebay.


Thanks kims! No, haven't seen Obagi hats, I'll have to look but doubt I'd want to wear one. I think I have some in storage, maybe a "Southern Belle" woven straw summer hat that sorta dips down on one side, I bought on a whim a few years ago and maybe a winter hat I bout at a London Fog outlet store . . . guess I should get them out and make use of them with my soon to be "new & improved" skin!
Qwackertoo
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 May 2011
Posts: 30
Sun May 29, 2011 5:47 am      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:
I would really like to try out queen helene's mint julep mask. I've read some fantastic reviews about it. Do you think I could incorporate it into the nu derm regime maybe once a week a couple of hours before my PM routine? Or should I wit a few more weeks (I;m at wk5) or just wait until maintenance to add additional products?

I'm thinking it could help with the flaking/peeling, pores and blackheads.


angel, have you ever used it before? I have some on hand, bought it for my teenagers who won't use it, but I'd think it would feel soothing going on but very quickly it would feel very TIGHT on your skin. I think it would help with both pores and blackheads. Peeling, maybe for a couple of hours but then back to more flakes. I very gently used my Clarisonic Fri. night and last night and I'm sitting here in bed this a.m. watching t.v. and lots of flakes falling onto my black pj top. I really think I need to wash my face 3 times a day with the Nu Derm just to get rid of the flakes but feel at just week 1 plus 2 days it might strip my skin more than I should so I settle for just twice a day.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



glominerals Dual Essence Clutch DeVita Perfecting Time (75 ml / 2.5 oz) Tanda ZAP - White