Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
skinsmything
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Aw, Dianew...I feel for you. I worked with Obagi for years selling it (worked for a Derm as an Esthetician)and I know how frustrating Obagi can be for some clients. The ExfoDerm Forte in some people creates ongoing redness and depending on the strength of your RA, the combo creates an ongoing, angry red face. What strength do you use? Are you oily? You said you reduced the amounts to half a gram...that's what it's supposed to be for most people...were you doing a gram? Of everything? You're right about the helmet not helping and depending on where you live, the heat and the sun with Obagi in the summer make it even more challenging Crying or Very sad
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:55 am      Reply with quote
dianew,

unfortunately tretinoin is such a strong and aggressive product that some people are unable to tolerate it. You may want to lower the strength of the tretinoin or use it every 2nd night or even 3rd. Have you seen any improvement in your skin since you started with Obagi?
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:23 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the replies to my whinging Smile

skinsmything, yes I'm oily, & have been using .05 strength - a pea size of everything for the first 6 weeks or so, then half a gram of everything for a while, then upped my clear & tret to a gram - but have backed off that again. Only used a pea size last night, & no Exfoderm forte today, & still looked dreadful. I live in North Yorkshire so it's not like there's lots of sun here Laughing but i was out in it on Sunday all day... with spf 50, a hat & sitting under a shade... maybe that's made it worse today

fongflyer - on the bits that aren't falling off, yes - my forehead is clear smooth & even radiant. Bit eclipsed by the scaly mess elsewhere tho... perhaps I'm being too enthusiastic with the microfibre cloth...

moan over Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:49 am      Reply with quote
dianew,

A moan and whinge is great for the soul! It helps to get you back on course again when you realise that sometimes it's not always the best to follow the Obagi products exactly as they intended. You just need to find out what works for you. You have reached week 19 so the hard work is over. I think in the end you will know how much your skin can tolerate, so back off when you need too.

But it's great you are seeing results. Even radiant!
Fecky1

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I am currently on my 5th day of using the Obagi nu derm system in order to treat acne and some scarring its caused, and I was told to expext redness and peeling but I was not expecting it to be this bad. My whole face is red and tight and peeling like mad. Luckily im able to stay inside as im off uni fot the summer, as I dont think I could go out looking like this. Is anyone else's peeling this bad and ive heard it could last up to 6 weeks, is this likely? Its so painful and I at times I want to quit, but from what ive heard the results make it worth it.
Would really appreciate any advice off anyone in a similar situation!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Fecky1 wrote:
I am currently on my 5th day of using the Obagi nu derm system in order to treat acne and some scarring its caused, and I was told to expext redness and peeling but I was not expecting it to be this bad. My whole face is red and tight and peeling like mad. Luckily im able to stay inside as im off uni fot the summer, as I dont think I could go out looking like this. Is anyone else's peeling this bad and ive heard it could last up to 6 weeks, is this likely? Its so painful and I at times I want to quit, but from what ive heard the results make it worth it.
Would really appreciate any advice off anyone in a similar situation!

Hi Fecky1,
Have a read through some of the Obagi threads on EDS and you'll see that much of what you're experiencing is normal. Lucky for you that you can stay inside for awhile! If your skin becomes too sore and sensitive, you can take a few days off. Also, keep a tube of Aquaphor around as it's great to use in case your skin gets too irritated and/or raw.

Good luck to you and keep us posted! There are a lot of veteran Obagians who will be glad to offer advice and share their experiences! Smile

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply Kims Smile I feel a bit better now after hearing these side effects are normal. The side effects have already started to subside a bit and im in a loss less pain, I guess the first few days were the worst as my skin wasnt used to the products. Im hoping i'll be able to start wearing makeup again this week and be able to leave the house! Haha Smile

Are you using the obagi treatment?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:44 am      Reply with quote
I am currently on maintenance, but have used the Obagi products for a little over two years now.

It is definitely a tough regimen and you will have a lot of "ups and downs" with your skin along the way. Are you planning on doing the full 18-24 weeks?

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Oh right ok, did you feel as though the process was worth it? Yeah im doing a 12 week pack to start with and see if I need more after that. Does the maintaining process cause side effects too?
Fecky1

Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Oh right ok, did you feel as though the process was worth it? Yeah im doing a 12 week pack to start with and see if I need more after that. Does the maintaining process cause side effects too?
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi Fecky1,
Like kims I'm started on obagi about 2 years ago & now I'm on maintenance. Yes, the obagi journey is a hard and tough road. Lots of questioning, is all this really worth it? At times it seems like the difficult times never get easier, and you are constantly back to square one again! But yes, for me it was really worth it. I'm on maintenance now, like kims, but the results I achieved using obagi, which were for me, a more even skin tone, pigmentation fading, softer clearer skin made the entire initial experience worth the journey. So hang in there!

Even on maintenance if I'm too heavy handed with the retin A then I still get some of the side effects, other than that it does get easier, with less problems.
Fecky1

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Thanks fongflyer5 for your advice Smile

Ive been using the system for a week now, and it has gotten so much easier. The redness and pain have completely gone, and now all I have is a little dryness around my mouth. After being stuck indoors for a week, I was finally able to go out yesterday and with half the makeup I used to wear! I am worried the side effects may start up again, as from reading these other messages they can last for weeks, but im hoping ive just been lucky haha. Im very much looking forward to seeing further improvements in my skin as the weeks go on.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Fecky1 wrote:
Thanks fongflyer5 for your advice Smile

Ive been using the system for a week now, and it has gotten so much easier. The redness and pain have completely gone, and now all I have is a little dryness around my mouth. After being stuck indoors for a week, I was finally able to go out yesterday and with half the makeup I used to wear! I am worried the side effects may start up again, as from reading these other messages they can last for weeks, but im hoping ive just been lucky haha. Im very much looking forward to seeing further improvements in my skin as the weeks go on.

Sounds like you're doing well! Please don't get discouraged if you experience "side effects" throughout the entire process. Most of us did -- and still do from time to time! It just means your skin is changing (for the better) and that the products are hard at work.

Keep posting! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Lucky you Fecky - I'm still getting side effects half way through week 20! Rolling Eyes

I backed off to a pea size of product less than a week ago, & there's (sometimes) less flaking, but now (after my brag last week) my forehead's showing lots of red blotchiness - i.e. reverting to how it looked before the nu-derm - I'm still using all products every day (Exfo forte excepted)... does the pigmentation really come back THAT fast? Very disheartening if so... Sad

Also, I ran out of toner today & used witch hazel (Non alcoholic) as I'd read some do, which made my face very pink indeed for a while, then subsided... again - normal? Anyone else had this?

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
wow, just heard somebody said obagi have a minimize pore product work very well, and today the brightening product, so i need to put obagi to my shopping list .hoo
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
anderlubise,

Don't count on obagi to reduce pore size, your pore size is genetic. Retin A can improve the appearance. On the positive note, it will definitely brighten your skin, HQ along with retin A will help to fade pigmentation, even out the skin tone. The exfoderm products will help to exfoliate the skin cells, and this will help to smooth and brighten the surface appearance of the skin.

It's a very aggressive system when you use it. Not everyone will always get the results they want. Having said that, I was really happy with what it did for me.
janetsimone
5% products discount

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Hello my name is Janet and i live in the Netherlands. I have a quistion about obagi. whats the differents between the toner and the skin balancing toner.
greetings Janet
sorry if i not write the right words, my english what i have learnt is 30 years ago
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
janetsimone wrote:
Hello my name is Janet and i live in the Netherlands. I have a quistion about obagi. whats the differents between the toner and the skin balancing toner.
greetings Janet
sorry if i not write the right words, my english what i have learnt is 30 years ago

As far as I can tell, the Skin Balancing Toner may be for those with oily skin the other for normal to dry skin. Either would work with the Nuderm products.

5% products discount

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
i have used obagi skin balancing, but now i have the toner by accident.
Can i use this bottle.
in de month october i started with obagi products.
My skin was with acne large pores. In febr. i had the deep blue peel. Now my skin is smooth and fine pores. sometimes a little acne. but i am very happy.

Now i have a full bottle toner, so my quistion is can i use this bottle.
greetings, Janet
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi Janet

I'm using the normal - oily products too, and just had the regular toner as part of it - you should be fine to use it, it's not the most important part of the system - I've replaced mine with witch hazel now it's run out

HTH

Diane

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi Janet,

dianew, is right the toner is ok to use. I stopped using the Obagi toner and cleanser when I run out, the other products are more important and make the biggest difference
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:40 am      Reply with quote
anderlubise wrote:
wow, just heard somebody said obagi have a minimize pore product work very well, and today the brightening product, so i need to put obagi to my shopping list .hoo

Hi anderlubise, were you referring to the pore therapy (#2) in the clenziderm range?
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
janetsimone wrote:
greetings Janet

As far as I can tell, the Skin Balancing Toner may be for those with oily skin the other for normal to dry skin. Either would work with the Nuderm products.

I only just noticed yesterday that there were two toners in the nu derm range while trying to place an order on EDS, so I wanted to know what the difference was.

nu derm toner:
This refreshing blend of natural ingredients and herbs hydrates and tones your skin, while restoring normal pH balance. It prepares the skin for the application of Nu-Derm Clear.

nu derm skin balancing toner:
Fragrance free toner specially formulated to help balance the pH of normal to oily skin. Skin Balancing Toner helps to increase penetration of system ingredients.

kims, fongflyer and dianew: you are right, but like dianew, I ordered the oily skin kit and it came with the normal toner, I'm guessing it can't make that big a difference? I did notice that the balancing toner is slightly more expensive.
PamL

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:28 am      Reply with quote
When do I know that it's time to shift to maintenance? After 18 weeks, 24 weeks, is there a specific time frame or does it depend on what my skin looks like? What are the cues to know when to shift the regimen?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:55 am      Reply with quote
PamL wrote:
When do I know that it's time to shift to maintenance? After 18 weeks, 24 weeks, is there a specific time frame or does it depend on what my skin looks like? What are the cues to know when to shift the regimen?

That's a good question PamL, I went on maintenance a little prematurely a couple of weeks ago. I am planning to assess how things are going at on the 1st of August (I started on the 1st of May), if I feel like I need to go on a little longer, I'll continue to use the obagi till they run out, if I think all is well, I'll try my retin a only maintenance plan. Embarassed

I've just placed my order for my FX clear and blend, with the 15% summer sale, my 10% forum discount, the $50 I won in the forum draw and the free gift (I chose the obagi toner), I feel like I've just committed a robbery Exclamation

I still have half of the foaming cleanser left as I have switched to REN now, I have the exfoderm forte my mum gave me (only used it it 3 times), I'll pretty much have the products to do a full cycle again next year.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |