Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
buffy45 wrote:
Zhous, on my Obagi Nuderm protocol sheet, it says to use eye cream as the last step in the AM before sunscreen. It does not list using eye cream in the PM although I do. I need to ask my nurse about this.

buffy45, does your protocol say to use eye cream before Clear and Exforderm or after?

Sorry, butting in here with something interesting that I read. I used the Elastiderm for 6 weeks with no results. I was reading reviews at a site that I cannot remember now, but the interesting thing was that she also did not get results with Elastiderm - until she used the eye cream 1st before all other products and then she started getting results from the cream. Makes me want to try it again, as I put it on after the other products. Just thought I would pass this on as it may make a difference.
Lucinders

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:27 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

Very interesting, Lucinders. This sounds like a way for a lot of people to go who are bothered by the dryness, etc.

The shiny/polished face look is due to exfoliation! Laughing

Yes I agree Rileygirl! At least the process isnt as daunting!!

I am interested to know - is it possible for me to use a different cleanser & toner than the obagi one? Its just the costs of shipping these products into Ireland is quite high!! I was wondering could I replace these (when I have finished with obagi ones) with La Roche Posay maybe? These can be purchased here in Ireland?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Sorry, butting in here with something interesting that I read. I used the Elastiderm for 6 weeks with no results. I was reading reviews at a site that I cannot remember now, but the interesting thing was that she also did not get results with Elastiderm - until she used the eye cream 1st before all other products and then she started getting results from the cream. Makes me want to try it again, as I put it on after the other products. Just thought I would pass this on as it may make a difference.

Just to clarify, the recommendation is to apply eye cream on top of the Exfoderm?

I'm using Valmont Glacier Eye cream and love it. I already re-ordered it 3 times Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

Just to clarify, the recommendation is to apply eye cream on top of the Exfoderm?

I'm using Valmont Glacier Eye cream and love it. I already re-ordered it 3 times Very Happy

RussianSunshine, yes that is the normal recommendation for the eye cream, it is the last step before sunscreen in the morning and the last step after the rest of the products at night.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Lucinders wrote:

I am interested to know - is it possible for me to use a different cleanser & toner than the obagi one? Its just the costs of shipping these products into Ireland is quite high!! I was wondering could I replace these (when I have finished with obagi ones) with La Roche Posay maybe? These can be purchased here in Ireland?

I would check with your derm, Lucinders. Maybe they are ok with that. Normally I think no, as the cleanser/toner is all about prepping your skin to the correct pH, etc., so the other products can work well. But, since you were able to use the Avene product with the Blender, your derm may have different views!
mike1987
5% products discount

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks buffy! A quick question, what's the purpose of increasing the strength of retin-A? From what I know is that the results are more or less the same, with higher strength retin-A causing more irritation. Contemplating whether to increase my retin-A strength to 0.05%. Thanks!
buffy45
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all, have been away from the computer for a week, so haven't kept up with your post. Mike, I might have said earlier to increase your strength of retin-a but since then I have read various opinions on this and some say that even the lowest strength will have the same results as the highest, if you just keep using it. I am no expert by any means.
Will catcch up more when I get a chance.
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi all! I'm 3 weeks into my Obagi experience now and wanted to update. I'm afraid to jinx myself saying this, but so far the side effects haven't been as bad as I thought they'd be. My face doesn't really get red. Maybe slightly pink for a few hours after applying Exfoderm in the morning, nothing even really noticeable, especially w/my mineral makeup on.
I was getting pretty bad flakies every 2nd day after the night that I applied the Blender/Retin-A combo (have only been applying it every 3rd night so far). But the past week I haven't really been getting very flaky at all. A little bit around my mouth toward the evening. So I figure it is time to bump up the Blender/Retin-A to every other night. Last night my boyfriend said that he can't even see the spots on my cheeks any more. I told him that they are definitely still there! He said, "But you have makeup on right now, right?" I didn't though. I had just washed my face and put my Clear on. Maybe it was the low lighting, but I definitely do still see the spots on my cheeks. They've never been as dark as the ones on my forehead and temples, but they are most certainly still there! I think it's time to take another set of pictures and compare them to the ones I took 3 weeks ago to really see if there is any change yet.
On the flip side, it seems that the dark spot on my left temple is either getting darker or is expanding. I've read that it can look worse before it gets better, so I'm not worried about this. I'm still very optimistic!
Nothing I've ever tried has worked even a little bit in the past 8 years. And from everything I've read, it seems that Obagi is the only thing that consistnetly provides good results. So I'm willing to be patient! Very Happy
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to mention - it seems like my crow's feet are looking better! I've had lines there since my early 20s, which have only gotten worse as I've gotten older. It's the lines in the corners of the eyes specifically which seem to be improved. I also have a few long lines underneath each eye which are still pretty prominent, but I'm confident that with continued use of the Obagi system that they will improve too.
One of my nasolabial folds is almost nonexistent now and the other one is looking better too! Very Happy
Perhaps melasma has been a blessing in disguise, leading me to the Obagi system which will allow me to have better looking skin as I get older than I would have otherwise had!! Looking for the bright side here, of course. Just like I did when I had terrible breakouts in my early 20s. Figured it caused me to be humble and also to take better care of my skin than I would have if I hadn't had breakouts. Accutane was still the best thing that ever happened to me though!
Speaking of breakouts, I haven't had a single pimple (oh god, please don't let me be jinxing myself!) since I started Obagi. And I was clearing up from a small one caused by a self tanner when I started Obagiing. So that is good news!

I am using a spray toner to set my mineral makeup and keep my face from looking like a dried up powdery mess. I guess it does have some moisturizing properties, but I'm not sure if it counts as a moisturizer? I wonder if this is why I am not having such a harsh reaction from the hydroquinone and tretinoin. This is what I'm using: http://www.vitacost.com/Earth-Science-Herbal-Tonic-Mist/?pd_section=pr
What do you all think? Is it ok to use?
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Ha! Nevermind, I spoke too soon! Just went to the bathroom at work and looked in the mirror after eating lunch and am flaking like crazy all around my nose and mouth! Laughing
Still planning to bump up the Blender/Tret to every other night though.
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Seems that this thread is not getting a lot of traffic right now, but since I started posting my updates here, I figure I'll just keep doing so! Laughing

I'm almost 5 weeks in right now. Some days the peeling and flaking is bad, sometimes it's tolerable. I hadn't had too many issues during the day at work UNTIL today! I looked in the bathroom mirror around 3pm and it looked like shedding snake skin all around my mouth. Embarassed I did my best to clear off what I could with a slightly damp paper towel and applied a little bit of hand cream (it was all I had) to get me through the rest of the day. Usually that kind of shedding waits to show itself until 7 or 8 at night, and I prefer it that way!

Earlier this week my coworker told me that my skin looked really good! Very Happy I've never talked to her about my skin issues or anything, and she's never commented on it before. So to have her make a comment like that out of the blue really made my day!!

The spots on my cheeks look much lighter. The ones on my forehead and temples look the same to me. Just last night I started putting the Blender/Retin-A mix there every night. The skin there is definitely tougher than the rest of my face so I think it can handle it. For the rest of my face, I'm still doing every other night.

It's been cold and dry here in South FL lately, so I'm sure that is not helping my flaky situation. I'm pondering getting a humidifier for the bedroom just to use on the nights that the air is so dry. At least we don't run the heater at home (it doesn't get THAT cold), so there's not that double whammy to contend with. The air at my work is another story. Heated and dry.

When I asked how long the products should last, the doctor's office actually told me that they should last pretty much the whole 3 months, maybe w/the exception of Clear. I didn't buy it. And now after 5 weeks, I'm low on Toner and Clear. I'm thinking of trying to find somewhere cheaper for my replacement products. Like maybe right here at EDS! Does anyone else have any good recommendations for a reliable place to buy Obagi products from at less than full price?
buffy45
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
If you will google Obagi you will find some places that sell for a 20% discount and I have found some products on ebay. Good luck. I thought I was pretty much done with the peeling and then this week it is back again, so guess it comes and goes for a long time. But, that is what it is supposed to do so can't complain too much. I also am getting compliments on my skin.
got2change
5% products discount

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
It seems the results from Obagi are either best or worst. I have sensitive skin and is a little bit concerned. Has anyone had good experience with Obagi Clenziderm M.D. Pore Rinse? I have large pores and need an exfoliator. I am considering PTR and Dermalogica exfoliators but seems this Pore Rinse would do similar things. I'd like to try it, but want to hear from other's experience first. My skin can't bear more damages.
karolineenigma

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:03 am      Reply with quote
I was having great results with the Nu Derm System and I thought I could go on maintenance at 18 weeks... i am now almost 6 weeks into my maintenance and my skin is so dry and super sensitive and.....yea, not great Sad should i go start round two?? go back on the normal system?? am i going to be stuck on it forever now?

i drink TONS of water and have even started going to Bikram yoga, so my skin really should be AMAZING...but its not Sad back to peeling, red and very sensitive around chin and mouth area.

should i go back on the normal system and just stay on that? please advise!

my maintenance system is foaming gel wash and toner day and night. Tretonion and blender at night, 3 x a week. Clear at night, 2 times a week and exoderm forte during the day 2 times a week and always sunscreen.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:52 am      Reply with quote
karolineenigma wrote:
I was having great results with the Nu Derm System and I thought I could go on maintenance at 18 weeks... i am now almost 6 weeks into my maintenance and my skin is so dry and super sensitive and.....yea, not great Sad should i go start round two?? go back on the normal system?? am i going to be stuck on it forever now?

i drink TONS of water and have even started going to Bikram yoga, so my skin really should be AMAZING...but its not Sad back to peeling, red and very sensitive around chin and mouth area.

my maintenance system is foaming gel wash and toner day and night. Tretonion and blender at night, 3 x a week. Clear at night, 2 times a week and exoderm forte during the day 2 times a week and always sunscreen.

If you need a moisturizer now due to colder weather you can use one. Also, this happens a lot to people. Sometimes, for whatever reason the less you use the RA during the week, the more dry you are. So, you could try just bumping up the RA/Blender to 5 nights a week and see if that helps.
karolineenigma

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:37 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
karolineenigma wrote:

If you need a moisturizer now due to colder weather you can use one. Also, this happens a lot to people. Sometimes, for whatever reason the less you use the RA during the week, the more dry you are. So, you could try just bumping up the RA/Blender to 5 nights a week and see if that helps.

i live in LA - so it doesn't get that cold (thank goodness!). i thought all of this was supposed to restore your OWN moisturizing ability? Maybe after round 2? How long does one typically stay on the maintainence program? Is there a link to a typical "round" schedule?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:07 am      Reply with quote
karolineenigma wrote:

i live in LA - so it doesn't get that cold (thank goodness!). i thought all of this was supposed to restore your OWN moisturizing ability? Maybe after round 2? How long does one typically stay on the maintainence program? Is there a link to a typical "round" schedule?

It is supposed to restore your own moisture. Usually maintenance is for life, and you do another 18 weeks once a year. Since you don't get cold weather where you are, try to up the Retin A to 5 nights a week. What are you using on your "off" nights?
karolineenigma

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:11 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
karolineenigma wrote:

It is supposed to restore your own moisture. Usually maintenance is for life, and you do another 18 weeks once a year. Since you don't get cold weather where you are, try to up the Retin A to 5 nights a week. What are you using on your "off" nights?

nothing at all..... ill up the retin a and see if that helps Smile

(i use the .01)
karolineenigma

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:15 am      Reply with quote
karolineenigma wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
karolineenigma wrote:

(i use the .01)

I mean i use the .1...should i use the .05 and use it every night maybe?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:19 am      Reply with quote
karolineenigma wrote:

(i use the .01)

karolineenigma wrote:

You could definitely try going down to the 0.05%. That may help as well. I don't know why it happens, but I know it happens with me and several others I have chatted with that the less frequent you use the Retin A, the more dry, etc. the skin is? Good luck! I also would try a moisturizer once in a while when your skin is especially dry. It is OK to use it once in a while, just not every day, twice a day, etc!
karolineenigma

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:23 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
karolineenigma wrote:

(i use the .01)

You could definitely try going down to the 0.05%. That may help as well. I don't know why it happens, but I know it happens with me and several others I have chatted with that the less frequent you use the Retin A, the more dry, etc. the skin is? Good luck! I also would try a moisturizer once in a while when your skin is especially dry. It is OK to use it once in a while, just not every day, twice a day, etc![/quote]

Thanks! Very Happy
WickedWitchOfTheWest
5% products discount

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
I'm giving Obagi another chance and this time I think I'll be sticking to it. I'm using the starter regimen given by my derm which is

AM
Foaming Gel
Toner
Clear
Exfoderm (M-W-F only)
Sunblock

PM
Foaming Gel
Toner
Clear
Blender + Tretinoin (T-Th-S only)

This worked for me when I started last year but had to stop 3 months after due to frequent travelling. When I re-started the full, regular routine, I developed small irritation bumps all over my face which took a while to clear, so I decided to start slow again.

3 days into the starter regimen, I was seeing small bumps again, but they seem to be more like comedones, which dry up after a few days. True enough some of them have dried and fallen off but there are some new ones. My only consolation is that at day 5, my face is finally peeling. I did not peel or get any flakes from Obagi from my previous use, even when i was using all actives daily.
reanihas

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
hi there wickedwitchofthewest!

I have been obsessively reading this forum for a few weeks and just started nu-derm 10 days ago. Your red bumps experience is exactly what happened with me. They crop up and then flake off. I am hoping that this means the system is working for both of us. Keep me posted on your progress - I am with you....

btw does anyone know if the vit c-serum is helpful and if so, which strength? Thanks!
reanihas

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
OK, I am definitely a little slow, but I am confused about the application of elastiderm eye cream. Does it go on BEFORE or AFTER application of all the nu-derm products. Also, what is safe to put on your eye area? Should I be applying product on my eyes, like the blender and retin A etc?

Also, I am a runner and live in the Northeast, where the weather can get crazy cold. What should I do/use to help protect my face from the blistering cold wind that I experience on my runs. Thanks everyone.

PS Rileygirl - you are a rockstar and I have learned SOOOOOOOO much from you (as well as some other fabulous members)

PPS - I am a burn-trauma nurse, and had a patient ask if I was this kind of nurse from a burn I suffered (on my face I am assuming they meant) Sad Sad
beautyrose
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:10 am      Reply with quote
I want to try Obagi,But I am afraid if it Suitable for my sensitive skin
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |