Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
dongss_1999 wrote:
kims wrote:

Hi Dongss,
I would be very careful using any exfoliating product while using Obagi. Be as gentle as possible when trying to get rid of the "peelies."

That being said, I was very successful using my Clarisonic once a day with the Nuderm cleanser or just using a regular wash cloth.

What other "exfoliating cream" were you wanting to try?

Smile I have Janson Beckett DermaPlex EP Exfoliating Peel, so I want to use it. Is it suitable?
If not, what do you recommend? Very Happy

Hi Dongss,
I'm not familiar with that product, so I really don't know if it's suitable or not.

I would try something very gentle while using Nuderm, however.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Crisd,
Welcome to the forum! A lot of us have also been on the Obagi journey and it certainly has its ups and downs. It certainly isn't an easy or especially quick process, but most people who persevered through the 18 weeks (or longer) will tell you that it's definitely worth it!

Peeling and redness are huge issues, but it does get better as your skin acclimates to the products. From what you said in your post, you're having "normal" Obagi reactions.

You can use the products on your neck, but watch for irritation as the skin on the neck is thinner than the skin on your face. If you can, "feather" the products onto your neck.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

5% products discount

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:30 am      Reply with quote
I just started using the Obagi Condition and Enhance system one week ago. I haven't had the horrible effects yet that I've read about online. My skin is starting to look a little dry and taught, some minor peeling. I am in a public job and cannot afford to take weeks off of work while going through this process. Any tips for getting through it and looking presentable on the job? I use a clarisonic every morning in the shower. If I use Philosophy Microdelivery and Neocutis Skin Cream when needed will it mess with the PH balance of this system? Gotta say, I've been pretty freaked out with what I've read on different websites!!!I'm hoping because I have taken good care of my skin with the Neocutis product line that maybe I won't have extreme side effects and will get through this a little easier than some have. It's pretty scary! Shock Shock Shock
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
debo wrote:
I just started using the Obagi Condition and Enhance system one week ago. I haven't had the horrible effects yet that I've read about online. My skin is starting to look a little dry and taught, some minor peeling. I am in a public job and cannot afford to take weeks off of work while going through this process. Any tips for getting through it and looking presentable on the job? I use a clarisonic every morning in the shower. If I use Philosophy Microdelivery and Neocutis Skin Cream when needed will it mess with the PH balance of this system? Gotta say, I've been pretty freaked out with what I've read on different websites!!!I'm hoping because I have taken good care of my skin with the Neocutis product line that maybe I won't have extreme side effects and will get through this a little easier than some have. It's pretty scary! Shock Shock Shock

Hi Debo,
You're right: the whole Obagi process can be scary at times! You, however, might be one of the lucky ones who won't experience such dramatic reactions. I don't know what your routine is, but in order to keep the side effects in check, you might try moving at a slower pace with the products. An every other day/night type approach. Are you under the care of a derm or esthetician? You might seek their advice.

While doing Obagi, you're really not supposed to add moisturizers -- they can impede your progress.

Please keep us updated and welcome to EDS! Smile

5% products discount

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kims. I am under the care of a board certified plastic surgeon and her aesthetician. She has given me her cell number and told me to call her no matter what time of day or night. I just hate to keep calling her. I like to have as much information as I can about using a product. Reading about other people's experiences are helpful, but some are scary. She did tell me to use topical cortisone cream if I peeled and got really uncomfortable. She also offers facials to help you through it. I am only using a 0.025% trininoin cream and I think I may only use it every other night. I don't have major sun damage since I've been using the Neocutis line for about three years now along with some IPL light treatments, so I don't feel the need to be so aggressive with it. I know this is a good product, I just want to be very careful with it. Thank you for your response. BTW...I ordered the Microfiber Cleansing Cloth that so many of the ladies on your posts have raved about!
debo
5% products discount

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kims. I failed to tell you the steps that I take every day. I am 51 and very fair skinned. I do have the surgical kit. AM Steps, 1, eye cream, 2, 3, 4, 6, PM Steps 1, eye cream, 2, 3, 5 mixed w/tritinoin 0.025%. I take the cotton ball w/toner and go around the folds of my nose and mouth as a precaution. I do not put anything on or around my eyes except the Obagi Elastiderm Cream. I use the AM Step 1 in the shower with my clarisonic. An interesting tip the aesthetician gave me was to wash my face last when showering. I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense so you don't have any shampoo/conditioner residue on your face. In the PM, she gave me a makeup remover to use all over my face before Step 1.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like you've got a good plan, Debo and a lot of support from your plastic surgeon and esthetician. That will definitely make your process easier to deal with.

Keep us posted!

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:18 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Crisd,
Welcome to the forum! A lot of us have also been on the Obagi journey and it certainly has its ups and downs. It certainly isn't an easy or especially quick process, but most people who persevered through the 18 weeks (or longer) will tell you that it's definitely worth it!

Peeling and redness are huge issues, but it does get better as your skin acclimates to the products. From what you said in your post, you're having "normal" Obagi reactions.

You can use the products on your neck, but watch for irritation as the skin on the neck is thinner than the skin on your face. If you can, "feather" the products onto your neck.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Have started suing the product on my neck as well for 3 days now - -and now my neck is peeling as well! Sad Is this a good thing or a bad thing? hmn. Thank goodness the weather here is just a bit chilly enough so I can cover up my the "neck-peeleis" with a soft scarf.

By the way, is it advisable to strip away the peeling skin or just leave it as it is?

Thanks for the advice and support fellow Obagi users. It really helps a lot to know that there's a forum where I can ask other users
how their experience is going Smile
crisd

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:41 am      Reply with quote
By the way, would Obagi also help out with the little spider veins that are on cheeks? I really hope so. So far, I've mostly read that it helps with skin pigmentation, clearing up acne scars and getting an even skin tone (hoping that all these happen after my 18 weeks! Smile ), but i was wondering if anyone had feedback on whether it would also help with the little veins on the face that only make-up seems to cover.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Crisd,
Yes, it's very normal that your neck is peeling. To help with the "peelies" I would cleanse the skin as you do your face and/or gently rub with your finger tips while in the shower.

I know that Obagi is great for hyperpigmentation and evening out skin tone, but I don't think it will help with "spider veins" or broken capillaries. IPL treatments are good for that.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Crisd,
Yes, it's very normal that your neck is peeling. To help with the "peelies" I would cleanse the skin as you do your face and/or gently rub with your finger tips while in the shower.

I know that Obagi is great for hyperpigmentation and evening out skin tone, but I don't think it will help with "spider veins" or broken capillaries. IPL treatments are good for that.

Thanks Kims Smile
crisd

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
debo wrote:
Hi Kims. I failed to tell you the steps that I take every day. I am 51 and very fair skinned. I do have the surgical kit. AM Steps, 1, eye cream, 2, 3, 4, 6, PM Steps 1, eye cream, 2, 3, 5 mixed w/tritinoin 0.025%. I take the cotton ball w/toner and go around the folds of my nose and mouth as a precaution. I do not put anything on or around my eyes except the Obagi Elastiderm Cream. I use the AM Step 1 in the shower with my clarisonic. An interesting tip the aesthetician gave me was to wash my face last when showering. I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense so you don't have any shampoo/conditioner residue on your face. In the PM, she gave me a makeup remover to use all over my face before Step 1.

Hi Debo,

I'm interested in the Make Up Remover you mentioned. Which do you use? Is it from the Obagi line as well?
shellz
5% products discount

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I just finished week 6 last Friday and as per my nurse have stopped everything but the Clear which is only used at night.. as I leave on vacation in 4 more days. The redness has toned down, the peeling is almost all gone but now I notice my pigmentation spots more! I guess I was hoping to see more of a change, that redness really had me fooled! Covered up alot of my brown spots! I do however notice a difference in the softness of my skin and firmness so something is working, the brown spots are just being stubborn and will hold on for awhile. Once I get back from vacay, my nurse wants me to start back on the blender/tret every 3rd day to ease back into it. Now I know that I will faithfully complete the full 18 weeks in order to acheive the best results that I have been reading about from all of you Obagians!!
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Shellz, I am currently on day 16 of Obagi and leave for 18 days in Australia April 19th....

So your nurse instructed you to stop about a week prior to your vacay and continue using clear at night throughout your vacay? Did she say you could use anything else (such as moisturizer or normal skincare products?)

I have flaky skin and some red patches all around my mouth area, I would like all that to be gone before I go...just wondering how far in advance I should stop. I should be able to finish week 8 if I should stop a week prior...

Also, please update the look/condition of your skin right before you go if you would! I need to gauge what I'm up against Laughing

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
shellz
5% products discount

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi Bren21! I haven't used the blender/tret since Friday night and all my peeling has stopped. I do have some dry rough patches and dry wrinkly areas under and around my eyes that I am hoping will go away, will do some mild exfoliation to see if that helps. My nurse said I shouldn't need a moisturizer but to make absolutely certain I am using a good sunblock! I actually tried putting on a light night moisturizer last night to help with the wrinkly areas and ended up washing it off, it felt and look greasy on my skin!! I think you will be just fine stopping a week before you go. But do continue to use the Clear at night and throughout your vacation Smile
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info Shellz Smile My skin seems to be doing pretty good, I think my prior few years of using retin-a has helped, but I am still getting this damn redness and peeling from my NL's inwards around my mouth....pretty much the same exact places I got it when I was a retin-a virgin a few years back.
This flaking is what is getting on my nerves..the redness I'd be able to deal with via a bit of concealer if this damn flaking would just get lost. But covering at this point just makes it look a helluva lot worse... Rolling Eyes

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
riceball
5% products discount

Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I have been reading some of your informative posts and threads here and I just want to thank you all for sharing your experiences with Obagi. This is my first post and I am currently using Obagi Nu-derm system and I am on my 11th day.I had a terrible Acne break out few months ago and I have reddish/brown spots and scars from that break out. It's really a turn off and it lowers my self esteem esp. when I am talking to people and I know that they still noticed the spots even though I am wearing makeup. Makeup cannot hide those acne spots very well.
11th day and my skin hasn't been peeling or flaking a lot. I am using the Normal to Oily set with a Tretinoin of 0.5 % .I think I should've gotten the higher percentage to get a speedy result.. I am not sure. Anyhow, I have not been wearing makeup because my skin looks dry and there's a bit of peeling on the mouth area. I wonder when is the best time to apply makeup again.
I hope you would all welcome me with my current battle with my acne spots/scars etc. I am hopeful Obagi would clear these spots and make my skin beautiful again.

P.S. would love to know if I should apply those products on my neck ?
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi Riceball and welcome!

I think using the .05% is perfectly ok...I wouldn't go any higher than that especially if you've never used retin-a before. I've only used the .05% and have gotten excellent results using that alone...if you jump to the 1%, you risk some serious irritation if your skin cannot handle it, .05% will cause enough on it's own.

You can definitely use Obagi on the neck area. For myself, I've used it nightly on my neck area since day one and have had no irritation or redness, but I have a few years of retin-a use under my belt. If you've never used it before, I would start off using on the neck only a few times a week and work your way up from there...

I'm a little over a week ahead of you with the Obagi...I started Feb 14th and I too have the around the mouth issue. Makeup is just not possible there at this point in time because it ends up looking like a damn mess and my face looks like it's peeling of in sheets Laughing

Just give your face time to acclimate to the Obagi and eventually the redness etc will hopefully subside, then you can start wearing the makeup again.

riceball
5% products discount

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:03 am      Reply with quote
@bren21 .. thank you so much for the warm welcome and for answering my question. I would take your advice to get used to the Tretinoin 0.5% first and then maybe when it's done I could purchase a higher percent of Retin- A.
I started a thread of my Obagi journey and if you get the time, pls. check it out. I would love to get some advice from you again. Many thanks Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:37 am      Reply with quote
riceball wrote:

The Clear, Blender and Retin A can be used on your neck/body. No Exfoderm on non-facial skin. HTH.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Is this line generally for more mature skin or can teens use this too?
riceball
5% products discount

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:21 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
riceball wrote:

The Clear, Blender and Retin A can be used on your neck/body. No Exfoderm on non-facial skin. HTH.

Hi rileygirl, thank you for noticing my question and answering it. How about near my eyes/eyelid ?
Thanks again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 am      Reply with quote
riceball wrote:

Hi rileygirl, thank you for noticing my question and answering it. How about near my eyes/eyelid ?
Thanks again.

You are welcome! Same thing, riceball. All the products, except the Exfoderm can be used around your eyes. Apply Very lightly around eyes and on eyelids and make sure you wear an eye cream to help with any dryness.
riceball
5% products discount

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:20 am      Reply with quote
thank you so much Riley.. you are the best. I have seen lots of your post in this forum and you are an angel in disguise..
Okay, I have been meaning to ask this but I always forget Very Happy
Is it okay to receive Chemical Peeling when you are using Obagi Nu-derm system ? I am only in my 11th day of Obagi and I have been viewing videos online about Chemical peeling procedures and I am curious..I don't know much about it and all I know is that it makes your skin clearer,blemish free,rejuvenated.
If anyone here had Chemical peeling before I would really love to hear about your experience.Can I get them while on Obagi and is it painful ?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
riceball wrote:
thank you so much Riley.. you are the best. I have seen lots of your post in this forum and you are an angel in disguise..
Okay, I have been meaning to ask this but I always forget Very Happy
Is it okay to receive Chemical Peeling when you are using Obagi Nu-derm system ? I am only in my 11th day of Obagi and I have been viewing videos online about Chemical peeling procedures and I am curious..I don't know much about it and all I know is that it makes your skin clearer,blemish free,rejuvenated.
If anyone here had Chemical peeling before I would really love to hear about your experience.Can I get them while on Obagi and is it painful ?

Hi Riceball,
I would definitely check with a derm or plastic surgeon about a chemical peel and be sure to tell him/her about the Obagi products you're currently using.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |