Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 am      Reply with quote
So we started around the same time Very Happy

Yes, I was told you can leave out the Exfo and still get great results. My skin is looking good without it (minus the flakies and redness around my mouth and nose area)

Leave it out and see what happens. I was able to figure it out right away because right after the AM routine is when it happened and the only thing different was the Exfo and no Blender and I had no problems after the PM application....

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
debo
5% products discount

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Thank You! I like it otherwise. So, you don't use the blender either? I don't use it every night. I'll skip a night every so often when I get too dry. I put my eye cream on directly after the toner, then I hang on to the cotton swap w/toner on it and go around my mouth and nose really good after I've finished the last step. I was told not to put the blender & tretinoin around the folds of my nose and mouth. So far, I haven't had the problems with cracking that I've heard of other users having. I also wait and clean my face last with my clarisonic in the shower. That way, it gets any residue from shampoo & condition off. I love this forum. I feel better already!!!
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 am      Reply with quote
I use both the Blender and Clear...the Exfoderm is the only thing I don't use of the system. I just recently switched out the Obagi sunscreen for a different physical sunscreen because I couldn't stand the Obagi one. This new one I like much better...

I use the Clear twice daily and Blender every night (face and neck) and tolerate it well due to being on retin-a for a few years. Like I said, the only issue I have is some flaking around my mouth area and a bit of redness which both are actually getting better...

My neck has had no adverse reaction what so ever to daily use of the Clear and Blender.

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:
I use both the Blender and Clear...the Exfoderm is the only thing I don't use of the system. I just recently switched out the Obagi sunscreen for a different physical sunscreen because I couldn't stand the Obagi one. This new one I like much better...

what screen do you use now? I'm finding the Obagi one sticks to the flaky skin & makes it even more bright white & noticeable Smile
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Diane,
I used NIA 24 sunscreen with Obagi. I really like it, but I know a lot of members don't care for it.

I think finding a good sunscreen can often be a hard thing to do!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I am currently using Elta MD UV Physical SPF41, so far I really like it. It has a much more liquidy/soft consistency so it doesn't cake up on my face like the Obagi. It's slightly tinted too but not enough to make a real difference but at least it doesn't make me white-ish. Kinda leaves me glowy and goes well under my makeup, so far so good....and much better than the Obagi.

debo
5% products discount

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:13 am      Reply with quote
bren21...this is day two without the exfoderm. My skin is much calmer. I used the cortisone cream on the really irritated areas and it helped. My nose is still a little pink, but not throbbing like Monday night. Thanks for the advise. I was about ready to give it up! Dancing

Diane...I use the Obagi Physical UV Block SPF 32 that came with my kit, but I also use Philosophy Clear Makeup mixed with a little tinted liquid makeup over it. It makes a huge difference. It dries in just a couple of minutes and gives you a nice smooth base for the rest of your makeup. I use a mineral makeup and it goes on really smooth. Very Happy
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Debo,
I'm so glad to hear that your skin is doing better today and that you figured out the culprit! I guess the Exfoderm and the Sunfader are just bad news for a lot of people.

Now, you can just keep moving forward! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:46 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear it's calming down too!! Yay Very Happy

The great thing about this forum is the help and support we can all give each other...I had help with Obagi from a dear forum member and I am certainly glad to pass on what I learned from her....without this help and going at it alone, I think many would just tuck their tails between their legs and throw in the towel Laughing

Keep me posted of your progress!

riceball
5% products discount

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi,I am wondering as to why my face hasn't been peeling yet,no reddish,hurt going on. I am on my 24th day on Obagi Nu-derm and my tretinoin is 0.05%.. Should I increase my tretinoin to 1% ?My acne scars/spots are still very visible.. Why am I not peeling ? pls.help.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Riceball,
I think I may have responded to your question on another thread as well?? But, anyway, how much of the product are you using? This is really an important aspect as well as the "rubbing in" of the products.

5% products discount

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
@ Kims As far as I am concerned.I am applying it properly.As I said before in my previous post.. this is not my first time to use Obagi Nu-derm system. The first time I used the product was around 2004 or 2005.I totally forgot.But I got it from a dermatologist so she taught me how to use the product properly. During those time, my face peeled a lot.. I just forgot if I got the higher percentage of tretinoin..

This time, i bought the system online because I don't know where to get OBagi here in Japan and I am also sure it would be pretty expensive to get them here. So I bought the set online. The tretinoin that Im using is very low..only 0.05 %. I have so much troubles on my acne scars and spots.It is still very visible.

Anyhow,thank you so much for the quick response.I appreciate your help. Not sure now whether I should buy a higher percent of tretinoin and add Vit. C 20 % C serum obagi..I don't know anything about that product.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:55 am      Reply with quote
Not sure what to do Riceball....05% isn't really considered "low" for retin-a and considering you've used Obagi before and are "seasoned" so-to-speak, perhaps this is the reason you're not peeling as of yet?
This is my first go around with Obagi so I cannot comment on using it multiple times and getting peeling/redness every time and at what stages....but hopefully someone who has used it more than once will chime in.

Perhaps because you've used it before it will take longer for the peeling to start...

My peeling/redness hit me about a week or so in...the redness has now subsided considerably at day 25 and the peeling is calming down although still quite a bit there by mid day around my mouth. But my skin looks so bright, clear and healthy at almost 4 weeks, it's amazing to see such profound changes in that amount of time. I had a large freckle at the end of my nose that is nearly gone and a large "dirt" birthmark type spot on my chin that I've had most of my life...not really sure where it came from but it has always been something that everyone points out as "you've got dirt on your chin"...anyway, that spot is nearly invisible as well!! Very Happy

I plan on tapering off Obagi about a week or so before my trip next month as I don't want to be a flakey mess for 18 days in Australia Laughing But I will say I am very happy with what I see thus far...

kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Riceball,
Bren21 made some good points in her last post. Since you've used retin a in the past, your skin may already be acclimated to it. Also, some people (not many!) don't experience a lot of peeling and you may be one of the lucky few! Just because you're not peeling doesn't mean the products aren't working!

Bren21,
Wow! Sounds like you're making great progress in a very short period of time. That's great news! I also had a freckle at the end of my nose that I got rid of.

P.S. I'm very envious of your upcoming Australian vacation!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I'm very happy thus far...although my skin was pretty good for 40 to begin with...just some pigmentation issues and droop which fillers lent a helping hand to Laughing

Looking so forward to Australia...have always wanted to go and never been...I'm so excited!! Also love the fact my cellphone will be out of commission for 2.5 weeks...YAY!!!

dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the sunscreen advice everyone - guess that's something else to add to my EDS wishlist Smile

I'm most impressed by people managing to wear makeup over their obagi-face... I can't imagine what would cover up, or even stay on the hideous flaking mess I'm sporting now Laughing still, I suppose it's only day 12 Rolling Eyes
shellz
5% products discount

Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Hello Obagi peeps! Just returned from 7 days of sun and sand Very Happy Must get back on the Obagi regimen but am a little hesitant to start up again right away as I do have a slight sun burn on my face even though I used my sunblock...guess I didn't apply enough throughout the day Embarassed I do see that a bit of my pigmentation has darkened again so this will surely set me back a couple extra weeks. Should I wait a few days to start back up?
lilmiss
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Starting back after doing twice before. Hopefully I can get through 12 weeks w/out quitting......
lilmiss
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
bren21 -

Is the Elta sunscreen you recommended ok for someone with super oily skin? All of the Obagi sunscreens make my face super slick! thanks in advance!
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
lilmiss wrote:
Starting back after doing twice before. Hopefully I can get through 12 weeks w/out quitting......

good luck! Did you complete the 18 weeks? Good results? I'm only on day 14...
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
shellz wrote:
Hello Obagi peeps! Just returned from 7 days of sun and sand Very Happy Must get back on the Obagi regimen but am a little hesitant to start up again right away as I do have a slight sun burn on my face even though I used my sunblock...guess I didn't apply enough throughout the day Embarassed I do see that a bit of my pigmentation has darkened again so this will surely set me back a couple extra weeks. Should I wait a few days to start back up?

I wouldn't dare apply it over sunburn

Shock Shock Shock
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Lilmiss,
Not sure if the Elta sunscreen would be ok for oily skinned folks because I happen to be on the dry side of the fence. It works well on my skin for sure, much better than the Obagi which I now just use on my neck and other body parts.

Here are the reviews for Elta and oily skin on MUA:
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp?ItemId=105880&skintonetype=106&AgeRange=0&SortBy=rating-asc

I did the oily skin filter (a great feature about MUA is you can filter by skin type etc) unfortunately it only came up with 2...

Your best bet is to look around on other sites and read through the reviews, that's how I happened across it and bought it off Ebay for about $24...

Shellz!!! Welcome home!! Hope you had a smashingly great time in the tropics! Very Happy I would definitely let the sunburn taper down before you start back on the Obagi wagon. Myself, I fell off the wagon last night and today...I couldn't help myself and slathered my face with Emu oil last night and used my normal products today...I just wanted some flakey dry skin relief and to wear normal makeup!!! Laughing Now I feel a bit guilty Embarassed

Does this flaking/redness ever really stop while on Obagi? Do you ever get to a point where it is under control and you can wear normal makeup and look good? I'm just a bit worried about my impending trip next month, it's a long one and I don't want to be a flakey mess while I'm down there...

debo
5% products discount

Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
I use a Clarisonic every morning in the shower. It does an amazing job keeping the peeling under control. Sometimes, I'll run it twice depending on how much peeling I have. Just be careful that you don't overdo it and make your skin too raw. If you do, use some neosporin gel and it will help take the soreness out. Aquaphor works well for the dryness also. Be sure that cleaning you face is the last thing you do before you get out of the shower so your pores are more open, your skin is softer and you get any shampoo/conditioner residue off of your skin. Wink
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:33 am      Reply with quote
I've been eyeballing the Clarisonic, but have to reel in my skincare expenses for a while with this vacay coming up. I've shelled out quite a bit of dough on this mug of mine the last 3 or 4 months!! Laughing

I just wish that damn Clarisonic wasn't so expensive...I've been hunting for a good brush comparable to the Clarisonic that is, of course, cheaper but I don't think it exists according to my investigation Confused You get what you pay for in this regard and the Clarisonic will just have to wait until I return home in May...
Although Nanci at NCN does sell the Pretika...I wonder how good that one is?

debo
5% products discount

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
I completely understand about the cost of the clarisonic. It is so worth it though. I've had mine a couple of years now and am addicted! Keep an eye on some websites like lovelyskin.com, skinstore.com, beauty.com and sephora. I get a lot of my products when they put them 20% off. That's how I got mine. I've heard that Oil of Olay has come out with their version, but I don't know how good it is. I also have some Philosophy microdelivery cloths that work really well.
Have an awesome vacation!!!! Cool
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |