Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bottles of Essential Oils and what to do with them?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
ChelseaaaHi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, so I found these 5 bottles of essential oils [10 ml] and it's something my mom bought for aromatherapy. She never used it and it ended up sitting there on her table [cool,dry place] for about at least 3 yrs! I was wondering if you think they would have gone bad or is it still ok to use?
They've never been opened.

I want to make something to put on topically if I find a good recipe.

It's from this site if any of you want to purchase some, *they have FREE shipping on all orders Surprised as a limited time offer*.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Hiya,

Citrus oils usually lose their therapeutic qualities rather fast, normally after opening... But they still keep their scent qualities.

Some oils actually go better with age just like wine. Especially if they were never opened, and have been kept in cool dry place they should be OK. What oils are those?

There are lots of things you can use them for.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:50 am      Reply with quote
I suspected that most eo's lasted indefinetely if kept away from heat and light..but just to make sure I googled the info..and 'officially' found that that is so. (accept for citrus ..as already posted!)

I personally have eo's that are 10 years old that I have no qualms about using at all.

There are lots of eo recipes online...just google what you'd like to create..and enjoy the wealth of info available...that's where I discovered ideas for the rejuvenating and healing serums that I create and use daily.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:49 am      Reply with quote
That's true if not opened,

the more times you open the bottle, and let air in, the more therapeutic qualities are lost...
So, a rosemary oil if opened every week for two years is not as potent as a brand new, unopened one.

So it all depends. I have some oils for 6 years and they are fine - mind you essential oils do NOT oxidize unlike carrier oils, they just lose their therapeutic qualities.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi Zverenok,
I noticed how deeply you seem to really know eo's (and that kind of knowing feels to me like 'love') when i first read your post..how long have you been studying/working with them...i would be interested in your history with them...and your insight into using them...have you thought about starting a post specifically about eo's ...I use them effectively for anti-aging...but feel I/others could learn much interesting information from you.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:00 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Hi Zverenok,
I noticed how deeply you seem to really know eo's (and that kind of knowing feels to me like 'love') when i first read your post..how long have you been studying/working with them...i would be interested in your history with them...and your insight into using them...have you thought about starting a post specifically about eo's ...I use them effectively for anti-aging...but feel I/others could learn much interesting information from you.

you are right, I've fallen in love with aromatherapy about 6 years ago when I had managed to have aromatherapy resolve an issue for me.
I have been 'studying' by reading literature on it, doing some stuff for myself and family for about 6 years and actually am considering becoming licensed/certified arometherapist for which I will need to complete some courses.

I do not in any way consider myself an expert, as I believe that without formal training you cannot conceive all the aspects of EO's. EO's are nature's powerhouses, some are very strong antibiotic, antivirals etc. They are very potent natural gifts/medicines/solutions - whatever you wish.
There is a lot of reading on internet in general, although through my search I have found a lot of contradicting information on different websites. So, I would base statements on people with official knowledge and research. It is much more profound in Europe than it is here, although gaining speed in North America also.

Many essential oils can help a collection of condition, have multiple application methods, and prescription should be made on a person to person basis, as every person has unique physique/needs/aura - you name it. Hence without proper analysis, you can only make generic recommendations which may not be right for everyone.

There are lots of books on the subject, even clinical aromatherapy.

[EDIT Rephrase this:] If you have specific question feel free to ask - if I feel I can objectively answer i will.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Zverenok,
Yes...there is a way you penetrate into this whole arena..that feels so profound and 'intimate' to me..like when someone really knows and loves someone.. and appreciates them, deeply, for who they are.

Ten yers ago I had seriously considered studying and becoming certified in essential oils, as a practitioner..but it wasn't quite what I was Called to do...

I have no specific questions now..it's just always enlightening to 'hear' someone speak about something they are Connected to...

Perhaps I wil take you up on your offer to pm you in the future.

zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Yes , I totally understand what you mean.
I am indeed Connected to it - and do a lot of other things that I feel are me - my job however, is not quite me, that's why I am hoping to have the opportunity to take up that training and change my work to be related to what I love Smile PM me anytime.
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:58 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Yes , I totally understand what you mean.
I am indeed Connected to it - and do a lot of other things that I feel are me - my job however, is not quite me, that's why I am hoping to have the opportunity to take up that training and change my work to be related to what I love Smile PM me anytime.

I am glad that i am not the only one who feels quite this passionate about stuff! I'm a bit of a newbie to the whole DIY toiltries - which has been borne out of a love of natural eco-friendly ideas and the desire to cut out all chemicals from my body in order to conceive. But, i have to admit, i was unprepared for just how amazing i would find it all! I just adore reading about ingredients, making my own tailor-made blends, and spend hours wondering what to try next! It really has sparked such passion and enthusiasm in me that i am telling all and sundry how wonderful it is. In the short time i've been doing it, it's become far more than a hobby for me.

I love aromatherapy and essential oils as they are just so versatile. You can pop some in your bath for a soothing soak, use some in an oil burner to scent your house, use them in toiletry-making, add them to unscented laundry detergent, add them to grapeseed and get your OH to give you a massage ..... the list goes on! I even use peppermint oil on a little tissue and put it against the fan of my computer at work - i get the refreshing smell of peppermint wafting at me all day, really keeps me awake!

It's nice to chat to people who feel the same - my family tend to look at me dorky when i start waxing lyrical!

Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Teabags,

Indeed, my family looked at me like that too, till I helped my DH with a few problems. Ever since he is not smirking anymore.

I also make my own CP soap, and got him hooked on it too. Actually share it with family and friends. Make whipped butters, list just goes on. I am a minimalist, so I don't believe in showering face skin with tons of products - cleansers/toners/night/day and all, I do minimum that I think is needed.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:21 am      Reply with quote
I truly believe that it's this connection to our real Calling that creates that inner light that folks respond to as true beauty.

sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Jasminerosey,

could you, please, share what do you use and what have you found working in terms of anti-aging use of EOs?

TIA

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:32 am      Reply with quote
sigma,

there is no such thing as anti-aging EO.
my suggestion would be to read up on aromatherapy first.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Thank you , zverenok!

I had indeed read about 20 books on the subject. And all of them mention and post recipes of various anti-aging combinations.

Some are used for firming, some to fight wrinkles and some to promote collagen building, etc.

Since Jasminerosey mentioned that she is successfully using EOs for that specific purpose I just wanted to know what she had found to be effective.

I did like some combinations for acne/pimples but did not find anything effective for anti-aging benefits.

I just surmised (based on your nick) that you are very young and may not yet have to face these issues.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Sigma, I layer several different oils plus eo's to create a very positive anti-aging response...which i will ..(when i have a moment and feel 'moved')..post on other threads as well.

I use heliochrysum hydrosal on my skin..then add a diy serum of organic rosehiip seed oil (as a carrier - 2 ounces) with 10 drops of heliochrysum eo, 10 drops of carrot seed eo, 2 drops of rose otto eo, 5 drops of rosemary verbenone eo. and 3 drops of frankicense eo.
I add a little more heliochrysum hydrosol and do facial massage and acupressure till its absorbed,wait about a half hour, then add pure tamanu oi (2 ounces) with 30 drops heliochrysum eo..more hydrosol..and more massge....wait a while..and add either organic hemp or borage oil as a final layer. If I'm going out in the wind or freezing cold..I'll add shea butter as a final layer.

(I want to experiement with adding a drop or 2 of clary sage eo oil to my roeship seed serum..removing a drop or two of carrot seed eo)... since i believe it is drying..but also firming to the skin!)

I do this twice or three times a day (I work from my home)..this whole regime may seem 'intense' but it seemed a better option to me to experiment with ... than going with retin a, matrixyl, or even vitamin c serum (which is still processed in it's l-ascorbic form)

I've done this regiment for about 6 months and my skin is extraordinarily smooth and silky..I had gotten to the point..before I began this regime.. were I had to manually exfoliate every day to really look glowing..and now only need to every 12-14 days.

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Sigma,
it hasn't really diminished fine lines..but the overall effect is tremendouly ant-aging..

so i suspect it may be creating collagen/elastin to a degree..

it is certainly regenerating in some way (quicker cell turn-over?) in that it has greatly, greatly, greatly reduced the congested, dull look that aged skin has (if it's
not constantly exfoliated)...

and this is only after 6 months..and I've read that rosehip seed oil, by itself, has a significant collagen producing effect after "a year"..so I suspect that's still more regenerating to occur.

sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Jasminerose,

Thank you so much for sharing your recipes. It does sound wonderful and should be very regenerating for the skin. I will definitely have to try ( I have most of the EOs at home, and many carrier oils as well).

I am currently using Kaelin day and night oils (EOs in Argan Oil as a carrier), and like it a lot.

I also vaguely remember one author talking about cistus oil (Rock Rose, I believe) as an excellent for anti-aging benefits. I could be wrong it had been a while.

Thanks again!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Sigma, I had heard of cistus oil being important in supporting aging skin, too..but was hesitant to use it since I am totally unfamiliar with it....perhaps I will purchase and try it soon.

Argan oil seems interesting to me ,too, but i have so many different oils at home..some of which I haven't even experimented with..that i haven't purchased it yet.

Part of what i like about diy eo serums is the 'beauty' involved in the creative and intuitive process of determining what 'works'

Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:16 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Teabags,

Indeed, my family looked at me like that too, till I helped my DH with a few problems. Ever since he is not smirking anymore.

I also make my own CP soap, and got him hooked on it too. Actually share it with family and friends. Make whipped butters, list just goes on. I am a minimalist, so I don't believe in showering face skin with tons of products - cleansers/toners/night/day and all, I do minimum that I think is needed.

Yeh, know what you mean - although i have made my DB an eczema salve with - erm, off the top of my head, i think it was chamomile, calendular and something else i can't recall now (I'm not at home to check). Despite thinking i may be off my rocker, he has quietly started using it! I haven't tried CP soap but have done melt and pour soap - got my niece and nephew to make some with me to give to their mums for mother's day last year. that's actually where i started on the whole DIY thing.

I tried a whipped butter once but it ended up quite hard and very un-spreadable. However, the buttery vanilla smell is divine and at some point i plan to remelt it and try adding some more oil. With you on the minimum of products too - a lot of the reason i went on to DIY stuff. i just got fed up of subjecting my skin to tonnes of different products, all laden with chemicals and not actually seeing much difference/improvement (although i'm still quite new to this and, therefore, doing a fair bit of experimenting till i find what really works for me!). And there are a fair few ingedients out there to play about with aren't there?!

Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:21 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Sigma, I layer several different oils plus eo's to create a very positive anti-aging response...which i will ..(when i have a moment and feel 'moved')..post on other threads as well.

I use heliochrysum hydrosal on my skin..then add a diy serum of organic rosehiip seed oil (as a carrier - 2 ounces) with 10 drops of heliochrysum eo, 10 drops of carrot seed eo, 2 drops of rose otto eo, 5 drops of rosemary verbenone eo. and 3 drops of frankicense eo.
I add a little more heliochrysum hydrosol and do facial massage and acupressure till its absorbed,wait about a half hour, then add pure tamanu oi (2 ounces) with 30 drops heliochrysum eo..more hydrosol..and more massge....wait a while..and add either organic hemp or borage oil as a final layer. If I'm going out in the wind or freezing cold..I'll add shea butter as a final layer.

(I want to experiement with adding a drop or 2 of clary sage eo oil to my roeship seed serum..removing a drop or two of carrot seed eo)... since i believe it is drying..but also firming to the skin!)

I do this twice or three times a day (I work from my home)..this whole regime may seem 'intense' but it seemed a better option to me to experiment with ... than going with retin a, matrixyl, or even vitamin c serum (which is still processed in it's l-ascorbic form)

I've done this regiment for about 6 months and my skin is extraordinarily smooth and silky..I had gotten to the point..before I began this regime.. were I had to manually exfoliate every day to really look glowing..and now only need to every 12-14 days.

Thanks for the info - very interesting! i have also mainly just used essential oils for their de-greasing, acne-curing, bacterial effect so far. (tea-tree has been quite effective for my newly acquired cystic acne). However, as i'm 36, i'm also aware that i should be including some anti-aging ingredients in my DIY stuff. I had heard about rosehip oil, but not the other ones, so it's really inspired me to get a move on and create an anti-aging night-time moisturiser.
Smile

zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:04 am      Reply with quote
sigma, I guess you know russian?

I have not used makeup in my life too much, and perhaps that's why I have avoided the kind of problems you are mentioning. I will be turning 30 this year Smile but still feel like I am 20.

What I meant that there is no anti-aging eo, is that there are many positive effects of EOs, and lots of mixes and uses you can create, which will help regenerate, or assist in a condition to one's oil antioxidant, or other affects.

I don't believe in one thing eliminating wrinkles or creating an anti-aging scenario -
it's always a combination of many things - diet, exercise, little or no makeup, and in that healthy makeup, like mineral. Using balanced, healthy treatments - e.g. aromatherapy etc., face massage, ice baths for face etc.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Teabags,

Yes, I've been down that alley also - wanting to create my own moisturizer - which is either an emulsion of oil in water, or water in oil.

Here are the problems / or some can call them opportunities:

1. you need an emulsifier/emulsifying agent so that oil and water don't separate. The only natural emulsifier is beeswax with borax. It is extremely difficult to work with to get the right proportions so most people revert to synthetic emulsifying wax that's easy to work with.

Secondly, unless you have a sterile lab you work in, normally you do it in your kitchen, and you would need antibacterial and antioxidants to make sure your moisturizer isn't going bad in a few days.

Mind you, you won't necessarily see the bacterial growth until a bit too late.

Now there are some natural antioxidants and antibacterials (I know some people would argue this), like Vit-E, rosemary extract <-- those two antioxidants, and grapeseed extract (antibacterial) that will extend the shelf life of your product - you can get up to six months with proper storage.

If you start calculating how much grapeseed extract costs, rosemary extract costs, ingredients (mind you they also have expiry lives), it may be just easier to purchase some good moisturizer that's natural like Dr. H...

Or if you think about it really , Rosehip oil with Almond Oil is already a moisturizer in itself, so if you don't mind the bother, you can just apply it to your wet face after shower/bath, let it sit for a bit, and then wipe off excess with a tissue. Not wipe, but just touch it with tissue to absorb extra left on top of skin.

This would be the most natural - you could add vit-E to that, and essential oils...
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Zverenok,

you are absolutely correct.

I am sure if there was one thing to get rid of wrinkles it would have been bottled, marketed and sold for a fortune by major cosmetic companies.

And I agree with you 100% that it is a combination of things - genetics, food choices, health and all the rest.

I also came across several good books about aromatherapy - with many interesting recommendations and explanations.

Like Rosehip Seed Oil contains a lot of vit A and that may explain some of it's properties, etc.

Thanks for a good and helpful advice!

P.S. Yes, I do know Russian, and it is a great nick (and you are indeed very very young). Ochen rada poznakomitsya. All the best!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Hey Sigma,

Perfect, so I am not the only russian girl here:)) Thanks for the compliment. I've had that nick since I was 16 - got my website (not published yet, but domain reserved), emails and all lol. Smile

Yes, aromatherapy and use of nature's gift is a superb alternative and for me almost the only right way to go with skin care...

I had a girl friend that when we were just 16 already had wrinkles around her eyes because of heavy eye makeup usage and poor skin care products. That's just too bad.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Zverenok ..now i'm so curious about what your name means!!!

My (natural) hairdresser is from Russia....and we have become close friends over the years...her aunt was a doctor in Russia, much oriented toward the more natural side of medicine..and my hairdresser is very much interested in herbal remedies, etc....she has shown me some of the natural remedies that her family brings to her from Russia.. and we have had fun figuring out that we are both 'connectong' to the same herb... that we know by different names.

And yes, i also feel that maintaining..and even accentuating..our natural beauty as we age..is holistic..involving mind, body, spirit.

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |