Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

SilkN Hair removal system
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Shannon Moore

Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:19 am      Reply with quote
Has any one used the SilkN SilkN hair removal system..It is pretty costly 800.00 but if someone has any feedback on this product that would be great..they sell it on MMH.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I'd love to hear some feedback on it as well. I wish EDS would carry this because I think I'm just about ready to buy it. I get professional IPL treatments done and have read up on Silk'n just yesterday actually and I'm finding good reviews of it (well, ok, they are preliminary results but they are very positive).

Has anyone tried it? It seems like a better alternative to some of the other home machines I looked at (which were "hair by hair" treatments, rather than the larger area treated by Silk'n).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:54 am      Reply with quote
I'd love to find an at home IPL-type device that actually works and that is reasonably priced!

Mabsy, I've also recently heard of a new device by Boots called Smooth Skin. Apparently, it costs £249 at the moment and the price will go up to the regular one of £399 after the initial 3 months on sale.

Someone on another beauty form I visit has bought one and has promised to report back. I'll give an update as soon as she's done so.

This is such an HG product for many people, but there's such a distrust of whether any would actually work at the moment. If only the manufacturers would allow a few regular, long-standing posters on some beauty forums to test the product and give their honest opinion, then word would soon spread and there'd be a stampede to buy any decent ones! I'd certainly trust the word of a forum member whose opinions I already respect, rather than some anonymous advert or piece of spam created by a conveniently appearing "new user".

ETA: I've just seen that the OP is relatively new and just wanted to stress that I'm not referring to her as a potential spammer! You know the type of post I'm referring to - the ones that suddenly occur from someone who's never posted before and raves about a particular product, before disappearing, never to be seen again.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
ETA: I've just seen that the OP is relatively new and just wanted to stress that I'm not referring to her as a potential spammer! You know the type of post I'm referring to - the ones that suddenly occur from someone who's never posted before and raves about a particular product, before disappearing, never to be seen again.

And we have definitely had that happen with MMH products in the past.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Here is an interesting overview with some alternative options.

http://hairremoval.about.com/od/lase1/tp/home-laser-hair-removal.htm

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, ladies. I wasn't aware of the Boots one. That also looks good since it looks like the treatment area is relatively large (at least when compared to the Epila).

I know what you mean Majorb, unbiased forum reviews always work best for me. I completely disregard reviews that are written on various comparison websites. Somehow I doubt though that companies would be all that happy to hand out expensive laser systems for us to test though Sad

The Tria sounds closest to the IPL treatments I'm getting (based on what I've read). I don't like the fact that it's cordless though. You'd think that it would need a fair bit of power to produced enough heat and I'd like to be able to get through a treatment without having to recharge it or worry about it not being as effective because it's running out of power.

ETA: I wish the manufacturers would disclose the size of the treatment area so we could also compare on that basis.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting that link, bethany. It's very helpful about the Tria.

Mabsy, judging from the link bethany posted, the re-charging does seem to be a problem with the Tria. Apparently, treatment time lasts up to 30 minutes before requiring a re-charge, and re-charging takes 2 hours! So if you're covering a large areas (for instance, legs), that's going to be a real pain.

Still, it does sound excellent.

If the Boots product does perform as effectively as the Tria, then I'd probably opt for that because of the mains connection. Also, it seems to be quite a lot cheaper.
Mabsy

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:46 am      Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to Keli13's review of the TRIA after she gets a chance to use it. I think cordless would not be ideal since - my main worry would be not the fact that you need to recharge but that it would get weaker and weaker and you wouldn't get the full benefit towards the end of your treatment (that's my theory anyway).

I'm seriously tempted to get the Silk'n. I saw it at the shops a few days ago. I just can't pull the trigger at that price with no trusted reviews. Does anyone here have it?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Ladies. I've been looking at hair removal too. Every product that I've seen says, "For Below Neck Only". Oh, well. My mom is always saying that I can't have it all. Have any of you tried the "No! No!"? If you have, please let me know what you think. As for the products already mentioned, if I could afford it I would buy the Silkn. I prefer my gadgets to have cords so that I don't have to worry about batteries or charging. Laughing I guess that's just being lazy. I have an 18 month old little boy and don't have as much time as I used to. I look forward to any reviews. Heck, I look forward to any intelligent adult conversation. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:34 am      Reply with quote
OK I did my first treatment this morning. I am using the Tria on the highest setting to get the best results. It did hurt a bit more on certain areas of my bikini line but I made it through. Don't be shocked when a fan kicks in. It cools the laser. While the fan is running you can still do your treatment. You can do an area pretty quickly even though the circumference of the laser area is small. You can move the laser along pretty quickly. I also did my chin and my upper lip. You cannot tweeze any areas that you want to use the Tria on because it needs to sense the follicle and hair under the skin to target it. I did pluck some upper lip hairs a few weeks ago so from now on I will just shave like they recommend until I don't need to anymore. I'm hoping that I will lose all the dark hair on my chin and upper lip. It's getting worse as I get older. I don't want to be an old ladies in the hospital or long term care facility that has to schedule a shave along with the men when I get really old. I don't mind the peach fuzz on my face but those dark hairs are embarrassing. The laser on the higher setting feels like a hot needle poke on sensitive areas but on my legs it just feels slightly warm, not like a hot needle poke at all. It's very fast and I could tolerate it but the closer I got to my real sensitive areas the more intolerable it got. Doing my legs and most other body parts on the highest setting won't bother me at all, just the sensitive areas. Doing parts of my face really didn't hurt at all.

I did my entire bikini line and facial areas on one charge and there was still time left if I wanted to do more. It took me about 15 minutes. I might do my underarms later while watching TV tonight so I plugged it back in to charge. I'll post back more when I notice any change.
deelighted
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
That's great to hear that you got so much covered on one charge.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I just purchased a Silk'n and it should be arriving in the next few days. I wouldn't mind being your guinea pig for a while and keeping you posted on my results.

Wink
deelighted
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
pinkrobot wrote:
I just purchased a Silk'n and it should be arriving in the next few days. I wouldn't mind being your guinea pig for a while and keeping you posted on my results.

Wink

Please do! I am dying to buy one, and so far have managed to control myself, but it's only a matter of time before I cave.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Deelighted. I can't wait for the reviews. Very Happy Finding something that I could use at home for permanent hair removal would be a dream come true. Having a toddler that climbs everything means I can't do much for myself till he's in bed. And most of that time is spent cleaning, so any time saver in appealing right now. Thanks in advance for being the "guinuea pig". I'll be looking for your posts.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:13 am      Reply with quote
I agree it is a dream come true... I love the fact that I can just use it at home. I had tried Silk'n and I must say the results are amazing. The great thing about it is that one can notice the results right away. Silk'n is also a safe product to use at home because I know that many of us would rather go to the doctor to use such a hitch device but Silk'n is surprising easy to use. It also has a new safety feature called SensEpil for these individuals whose skin color might be not proper for treatment. I must say that I really do not regret trying it and I would advice for all of you to check it out. Very Happy
coutoura

Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:21 am      Reply with quote
i'm super super excited about the silk'n, just placed an order for it. I can keep you upated on the results. a friend of mine has it and its working great for her, hopeuflly it'll be good for me too!
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:50 am      Reply with quote
** Bump** I just ordered Silk'n SensEpil here for an early birthday present. I've been using the No!No! device for over 2 years now but felt it does not work that great (basically had enough of that). Looking forward to using this device and hopefully I don't ever have to shave again.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm thinking of getting one too. I want a TRIA rather than a Silkn because the results are more permanent. It's also cheaper, once you factor in the cost of cartridge replacements for the Silkn.
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:59 am      Reply with quote
I am looking for a permanent hair removal device but in the meanwhile will wax. Does anybody think this is harmful in any way? I wonder if the pulling repeatedly will do any harm. Even if you hold the skin tight and rip fast the skin gets tugged a bit.
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so excited, I finally got a silk'n. I've been very strict about saving money this year but knew I had to have one. I got it used off ebay for $260. Hopefully that wasn't a stupid thing to do, it works fine so far so I feel confident about it. I think the amount of time and frustration this will save me makes it a must buy, even if I had to pay full price.

I got the older model, the white one not the pink one. From what I've read the only difference between them is the newer version has a built in safety alert if your skin is too dark.

I'm going to start on the bikini area. I hate getting waxed and I'm starting with the areas I hate to deal with the most. I'm pretty fair, I can tan but I usually burn first. I'm like a vampire about sun protection so no tan to worry about. Will update in a few weeks.
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
I should mention that I don't expect the results to be permanent. I think I'll have to do a maintenance treatment every once in a while after I'm finished with the scheduled treatments. I do think the Tria might work for more permanent hair removal but I didn't want to deal with the small treatment area as I plan on doing my lower legs. (and my upper legs if I can get it to work there, prob not as the hair is pale blonde.)
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Tried it out last night and went straight for the highest setting. Not painful at all, nothing really, except one bad zap where I had a few stray hairs I forgot to shave. If I notice any hair loss/slowed growth I'll post back.
havana8

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:35 am      Reply with quote
In case anyone is interested, the recent Costco eflyer lists it for $529.99 CAD delivered: http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10326299&cm_mmc=CNEmail_EN_446-_-FOCUS-_-13-_-SilkN
deelighted
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
I caved in and got the SilkN a few months ago, and I love it! I get the smoothness of waxing without the pain or waiting for the stubble to grow in enough to wax.

The reason I got the SilkN even though it is not permanent was because I was afraid to spend the money on the Tria since you can't buy refills for it.

The first cartridge on the SilkN lasted me about 6 weeks, which included the initial treatments to lose the hair as well as several maintenance treatments.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:25 am      Reply with quote
So far I can tell some hair hasn't come back Very Happy
Some areas, like my ankles, have very little hair. Mostly I just notice less overall, maybe 15 percent less.

It is really easy to do and takes less time than I thought it would. Maintenance would be a snap. Will update as I continue with treatments.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |