Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Progesterone Cream for perimenopause-related hormonal acne
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
I was cruising the internet for advice on hormonal acne that seems to be related to perimenopause, and saw that several women had had success with Progesterone Cream. Has this been the case for any EDS members?

An EDS search came up blank, but I sure would be interested to hear if any members had any feedback/advice to offer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I did, but I found it to be a hassle to use 2x a day. Plus you can only apply it to certain areas with high absorption rates, and then you have to rotate it where you apply it so that your estrogen receptors don't get burned out. I ended up bagging the cream and now take a progesterone supplement called Prometrium instead. With it, I have no hotflashes, nightsweats, etc. I went off it for a while, and promptly got right back on it after waking up drenched every night. Rolling Eyes

You do have to be very selective about which cream you use...some are not nearly as strong as they want you to believe.

My gyno specializes in hormones, and has written a number of books on bio identical hormone supplementation. He has a ton of info about progesterone creams on his site, and I would definitely read that before you buy anything. He is also a pharmacist and owns a compounding pharmacy, so he sells his own version....I would be very confident in buying it, because it was the same stuff I used and I know it works.
http://www.hormonewell.com/index.htm

Dr. John Lee was an expert in this, and wrote a fabulous book that ought to be required reading for every woman. I read about 6 books on hormones, and his was the best, hands-down. His site also sells a progesterone cream, and I would consider that one as well.
http://www.johnleemd.com/

I would suggest the menopause book instead of the premenopause version because it was drastically updated in 2004. I have read both versions (they contain much of the same info), and this one is better. The Premenopause version came out in 1995, and was printed in paperback in 2005, but I do not believe it was actually rewritten.

Quote:
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause
NEWLY REVISED AND UPDATED!

The breakthrough book on natural progesterone.
by John R. Lee, M.D. and Virginia Hopkins
Warner Books 2004 (439 Pages)

The original book on progesterone cream by John R. Lee M.D., the pioneer in the use of natural hormones, on using natural hormones, diet and exercise to treat menopause symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats and osteoporosis. Extensively revised and updated in 2004.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Doctor-About-Menopause/dp/0446614955/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232240252&sr=1-2

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
I was thinking about this further and realized that my hormonal acne reprieve due to the progesterone was very short...I ended up having to go back on Proactiv, and then finally settled at Retin A 2x a week to keep it away.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:25 am      Reply with quote
Bethany, thank you for such a considered response. I am going to borrow Dr Lee's book from the library and see if changing my diet and taking supplements can restore some balance naturally.

I think I might have been overdoing it with Retin-A. I bumped it up to .1% from .05 and I don't think my skin liked it. I know we're all different and have to find what works for us, but if you're only using Retin-A twice a week, what do you use on your 'problem areas' the other five days of the week?

Thanks again for such an informative response.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:19 am      Reply with quote
graceless_lady wrote:
Bethany, thank you for such a considered response. I am going to borrow Dr Lee's book from the library and see if changing my diet and taking supplements can restore some balance naturally.

I think I might have been overdoing it with Retin-A. I bumped it up to .1% from .05 and I don't think my skin liked it. I know we're all different and have to find what works for us, but if you're only using Retin-A twice a week, what do you use on your 'problem areas' the other five days of the week?

Thanks again for such an informative response.

No problem!

Retin A 2x a week keeps my hormonal acne under control. If I do get an occasional break out, I use Neutrogena Rapid Clear Spot Eliminating Gel. I do get little bumps along my jawline, and I just started using salicylic acid pads (I use both Stridex and ZO Skin Health TE Pads)...that seems to be working well.

Black Currant Oil is supposed to be very good for hormonal acne...Boski on the 302 thread is using capsules from either vitacost.com or iherb.com, and has had very good luck with that.

But if you just bumped up your Retin A strength, could you be having some additional purging? BTW, studies show that you really get more irritation than benefit from .1% (vs. .05%), so I just stick with the .05%.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:36 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
BTW, studies show that you really get more irritation than benefit from .1% (vs. .05%), so I just stick with the .05%.

Really? That's great info to know in general. Thanks for that!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Personally I would have blood work done before starting to use any hormone cream. You could do more harm then good.
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:06 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
Personally I would have blood work done before starting to use any hormone cream. You could do more harm then good.

Just wanted to say that with the exception of a few hormones, saliva testing is the way they typically test for hormone levels. And it's not covered by a lot of insurance companies.

I'm on bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (ALL of my hormones - estrogen, progesterone, DHEA & testosterone were practically non-existent). It's worked wonders! I had some of the typical symptoms - hot flashes, emotional responses, but what drove me to look for a solution was the brain fog & total lack of memory I was experiencing. I couldn't remember what someone told me long enough to look down at my desk to write it down! Within 2 weeks of using the bio-identical hormones, ALL the symptoms were gone!

Unfortunately, it hasn't helped (yet) the fact that every pound you gain when menopausal goes straight to your belly. Sad I gained about 8 lbs last fall due to a couple of really bad months where I wasn't paying attention to what I ate and it looks like I gained 20 because it all went to my belly & hips. And it WON'T come off! (rant over Smile )

I was having some really bad cystic breakouts on the back of my neck & scalp last month (very yucky & painful). I was thinking maybe the testosterone level was too high, but doing some research, I realized it was probably the higher strength biotin I was taking. Sure enough, as soon as I quit taking the biotin, they started going away...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Catsull - all this hormone stuff is very interesting isnt it? It amazes me how some dr's can ignore it. I've been doing some research myself on bioidenticals. Thats great its working so well for you.
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi, GirlyGirl.

It certainly amazed me! My regular doctors wanted to put me on anti-depressants & do a hysterectomy. So far, with bio-identicals, I've been able to avoid both - not that either are "wrong" but I knew they weren't only avenue for me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
catsull wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

Just wanted to say that with the exception of a few hormones, saliva testing is the way they typically test for hormone levels. And it's not covered by a lot of insurance companies.

Catsull has a good point on testing first.

BTW, I get my hormones tested via both saliva and blood each time, and they varied less than I was led to believe. Salivia is definitely the more sensitive of the two options, and I do have to pay for that myself. Rolling Eyes

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |