Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How long in the sun without sunscreen to hyperpigment?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes I don't have time to put on sunscreen, so I would put on a hat and try not to get exposed to sunlight. Would that be adequate for protection? How long do you have to expose your skin to direct sunlight before you get those dreaded brown spots or make the existing ones darker? Would mere seconds be sufficient?
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
Any idea? Just wondering if it's ok if your face is slightly touched by the sunlight for a few seconds without sunscreen.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:40 am      Reply with quote
It takes about 5 mins for me, and the brown spots start popping up. Mad

I also learned that UV comes in through windows, so I have accepted that if you are tying to control hyperpigmentation, sunscreen is a daily requirement...especially if you live in a sunny place like I do (Florida).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:21 am      Reply with quote
I think these day the sunlight is so high exposure. I just stand for a couple of minutes and I feel my skin is burning. It is really harsh.
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:04 am      Reply with quote
However, I have read recommendations that for Vitamin D one needs to be out for 15 minutes without sunscreen. Of course, this isn't necessarily on the face, but I tend to get spots anywhere, especially on my hands.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:15 am      Reply with quote
It depends on the time of day and the time of year and your latitude. I'm "lucky" enough to give in Seattle so this time of year, the sun never gets .all that high off the horizon (when it comes out at all!). So, if I were going out briefly in the winter in a high latitude area during the early morning or late afternoon, I would get a pretty low level of sun exposure. But, depending on where you live, what time of day, and what time of year it is, you might find that even a few minutes is enough to trigger your hyperpigmentation.

My feeling is that, curing pigmentation issues is a long haul process, and prevention is a lot easier than curing, so I'd err on the side of prevention with rigorous sunscreen use.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:43 am      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
Sometimes I don't have time to put on sunscreen, so I would put on a hat and try not to get exposed to sunlight. Would that be adequate for protection? How long do you have to expose your skin to direct sunlight before you get those dreaded brown spots or make the existing ones darker? Would mere seconds be sufficient?
Not at all Ruk1. You must not even consider stepping out of your home without sunscreen on! Just wearing a hat won't even do. Even in the dead of winter you should wear your sunscreen. The suns rays are always out there. 10-15 minutes without sunscreen will do the damage.
meggiequn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
I don't dare to go under the sun without any sunscreen for a minute.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
It depends on the time of day and the time of year and your latitude. I'm "lucky" enough to give in Seattle so this time of year, the sun never gets .all that high off the horizon (when it comes out at all!).

This is very true...I had no additional pigmentation issues when I lived in Seattle. And the "summer" sun in Seattle pales in comparison to Florida sun, even in the winter.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
The brown spots are the result of accumulation of unprotected sun exposure over time. If you just noticed a dark spot appear from no where is not because of the sun exposure you had yesterday, but from all ever since you are a child. The recent intense exposure certainly speeds up the process for those damage to surface. So wear sunscreen and avoid unprotected exposure as much as you can.
baby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Even though you are not in direct sunlight if the UV rays are strong enough the damage will still be done. I recommend putting sunscreen on when the UV ratings are high for the day. If they are fairly low, a hat should suffice.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:41 am      Reply with quote
What about late afternoon sunlight? I work at home and most of the time I don't get out of my house until 4-5 pm. I figure the sun's probably not that strong at that time anyways (I live in Malaysia). Am I just deceiving myself? Thanks

I just really hate sunscreen because it always gives me acne!
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't go without sunblock under sun light even for a few minutes. I live in Canada, but even here sun is very strong during summer. My skin is very fair and burns easily.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Up until last summer I never wore sunscreen and could stay out in the sun for a long time and not even get burned. Over the years though I have spent less and less time in the sun, so I'm not sure if it's that or just my age, but last summer I was out in the sun for about 2 hours one day and ended up with pigmenation all over my face, especially my upper lip. It was horrible and took months to go away (thanks to the help of NIA24). Ever since then I don't leave the house without sunscreen, because if I do then I notice the pigmentation starting that same day. The real test is right now though because we just arrived in Florida and we'll be spending more time in the sun then I have since that episode.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
certain natural 'butters' like shea butter have natural sun protection..about spf 5 or so...and there are herbs..in extract form ...added to diy serums..or purchased in serums/creams ..that can also add protection against the sun....by using these..avoiding sugars, chemicals, etc. in your diet..wearing a wide brimmed hat...

i don't believe it's necessary to wear sunscreen if not out taking a several hour walk in the sun..or some such activity.....

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
averygsmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with pinkberry, it is a cumulative effect, even those cute "freckles" many had as a child are a form of sun damage.(so be sure to protect your little ones) What many don't realize that a large percentage (I want to think its over 70%) of what we perceive as aging is caused by the sun, so its not just about pigmentation, sun exposure also causes collagen breakdown and an increase in free radicals.
Another thought too is how much exposure to the sun our hands get, many of us forget them and they are the most exposed part of our body. Think about the amount of sun coming through a car windshield and where does it land? Right on our hands. That's why you see so much pigmentation on the hands.
Keep in mind too the Aveeno commercial we have here in the US, a year of everyday exposure without sunscreen is equal to an entire week of exposure at the beach, that's kind of a scary thought.
One more thing and I'll stop my preaching...Many of us, myself included, slather on sunscreen, put on sunglasses and a hat, but stick our legs out at the pool. The leg area is the fastest growing body area where doctors are seeing skin cancer, so don't forget them too. It just goes to show the saying is true "there really is no such thing as a safe tan" (remember spf is only good for 2 hours so you have to reapply too!)
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Would any of you still wear a wide rim hat if you are already wearing sunscreen?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
Would any of you still wear a wide rim hat if you are already wearing sunscreen?

I do in the hot summer months here in FL when I am out working in the hard, or out for any length of time.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
ruk1 wrote:

I do in the hot summer months here in FL when I am out working in the hard, or out for any length of time.

Ditto...same here!

Plus, a hat alone is not sufficient...rays are reflected off things and still hit your face even with a wide-brimmed hat. I learned that the hard way. Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one. I thought I was being paranoid. Laughing
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Not at all! Hats also help protect your eyes, which are sensitive to solar radiation as well. Not only that, but if you squint, you are contributing to those pesky fine lines around the eyes. So, welcome to the summer hat club!
Jeffiner13
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I miss the days of just laying in the sun and not worrying about all of this. But....BUT....it definitely caught up to me because I am now on Obagi trying to reverse the damage. As someone has mentioned, I got the upper lip pigmentation and it was terrible. I looked awful in pictures and had a constant shadow...embarrassing!

Will I ever tan again....??? Sad

I am going out and buying those big hats that you see those rich snobby bitches wear in the movies...haha!!! With SPF 30!! Cool
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |