Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Microfiber cloth vs. Clarisonic?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, for those of you that have tried both methods of cleansing, which one does a more thorough job (ie, clears blackheads and reduces pimples)? Which is easier to use/maintain?

I've been dying to try the Clarisonic for ages, but I live in a country that uses 220V electricity. And I'm hesitant to use a transformer with any piece of equipment that comes into contact with water so frequently.

That is why I am curious to know whether the effects of the microfiber cloths are comparable to the Clarisonic brush?

I tried doing a forum search, but most of the results didn't really answer my specific question. So I apologize in advance if I do sound redundant. Thanks!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi swan! Actually, on the Clarisonic website now they sell converters to use in other countries, so that might be something to check out. I honestly believe that NOTHING will get the gunk out of your pores as effectively as the Clarisonic. However, if you aren't ready to take the plunge and want to try a microfiber cloth first, I would definitely recommend trying these cloths from Cargo:
http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P218783&categoryId=C11630
With a normal microfiber cloth I always worry about germs building up and causing more breakouts, but since these cloths are disposable you don't have to worry. I really like them.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Manslayerliz!
I checked out the link you posted, but can you please explain to me how the cloths are "reusable disposable"? Don't those 2 terms cancel out?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
Haha, it's a bit of the mystery, isn't it? I believe the implication is that you can re-use them a few times by either wringing them out and leaving them to dry or even washing them, but then dispose of them before they get too germ-ridden. HTH!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I am using both at the same time, use Clarisonic when cleansing cream is applied and use the microfiber cloth for rinsing. However I am not really wowed by the Clarisonic brush. I cannot see any majoy difference from using this expensive brush.
meggiequn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
I do feel a difference between them, when using clarisonic, I can feel the smoothness of the skin, and it won't hurt the skin. While the cloth doesn't feel that soft.
Katsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
I have both and I do prefer the clarisonic for use when i am at home. My skin feels cleaner and looks healthier than not using it. I started with microfiber cloths, but like some posters above, i was concerned with the bacteria (plus it was hard not to buy the clarisonic after all the reviews and talk on eds) and quite frankly i was lazy with laundry and never ended up cleaning them as frequently as they were used. They are ideal for travelling though! no way i'd ever travel with my brush.

Hope that helps!!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
pinkberry wrote:
I am using both at the same time, use Clarisonic when cleansing cream is applied and use the microfiber cloth for rinsing. However I am not really wowed by the Clarisonic brush. I cannot see any majoy difference from using this expensive brush.

I have found from experience that gel or foaming (even bar soaps) are the best cleansers to use with a Clarisonic. Any cream type cleansers don't tend to work as well. Maybe you could try using your cream cleanser to remove MU then follow up with a lighter textured cleanser w/ your Clarisonic to really clean pores. I also find that (with any type of exfoliation) using my Clarisonic near the end of my shower/bath (while my skin is very wet and flakes are softened) helps it perform better.
baby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
I find that cream cleansers work best with the clarisonic rather than gel based. I like how it foams and deep cleans.
Morphy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I find they do different things. The Clarisonic doesn't just clean, it improves circulation as well as helping open the pores.

The microfiber cloth does a better job of exfoliating though. I have seen traces of makeup come off with the cloth, even after a few runs with the clarisonic.

I personally alternate between the two.

Hope this helps.

5% products discount

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
do they make an actual microderm cloth that is disposable each time?
ramses
5% products discount

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
I tried both, honestly as long as I use microderm cloth gently, I don't really feel much difference between them, both made my skin smooth and soft. BTW Clarisonic also sells internation charger, but it is a bit pricy.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Thanks!

Is microderm cloth different from microfiber?

Any why is it that microfibre cloth harbors more bacteria than Clarisonic brush? If they both get wet the same number of times, shouldn't the possiblity of growing bacteria be about the same? And isn't the cloth machine washable?
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Morphy wrote:
I find they do different things. The Clarisonic doesn't just clean, it improves circulation as well as helping open the pores.

Hi Morphy, is opening the pores a good thing? Won't that just accumulate bigger blackheads? Thanks!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan (I always chuckle at your name!)

I use the microfiber cloth bywww.NCNProSkincare.com click on "exfoliate") and find it works better for my skin than the Clarisonic did. I have delicate skin from Retin-A and the Clarisonic, even with the delicate and sensitive heads tore up my skin terribly. The heads are too large and hard to control IMO. Like using a power sander on my face. I prefer a cloth that i can control the pressure/speed/maneuverability of.

The cloth is only $12.50USD, so it's worth a try. The cloths at that site are the thickest and best at sucking out the gunk. I have had the same cloth for 2 years and it's still in good shape - it gets softer with use and even better. Plus, no electricity needed! Totally portable!
HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:27 am      Reply with quote
Glad my name brings you amusement Very Happy

Wow, those cloths cost a lot more than the average microfiber cloth (I was looking at PSF).. What's so spectacular about them? Thanks Fawnie!
jandarling
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
i'm using the normal micro-fibre cloth and i find it works well.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:26 am      Reply with quote
I just ordered the cloths from NCN Very Happy
Oh I hope it's worth the international shipping!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan (I just love to say that!)
I've used the same NCN microfiber cloth for more than a year now, washing it out every time and it still hasn't worn out! I even use it on my body!
They are the thick ones that really do the job, not the thin and wimpy ones.

5% products discount

Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
hi
i am new to the website and am loving all the great advice and reviews here.

I love my Clarisonic. I think it works best with gels/foams as well. It has improved large pores on my nose.

Haven't tried the cloths but must admit i am addicted to my clarisonic.

mdspice
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
I like to use my clarisonic a few times during the week. I use it in the shower - usually in the morning with a gel type cleansesr. It is exfoliating and for me deep cleaning - I have oily skin and not sensitive to anything...

In the evening I use the professional cleansing cream from Karin Herzog - massage this in well - removes everything and is a marvelous cleanser - after this I wet the microfiber cloth and gently remove whatever remains from the professional cleanser.

I like both. I dont think one is better necessarily.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Does the Clarisonic improve pore size? Thanks!
mdspice
5% products discount

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:03 am      Reply with quote
I have noticed decreased pore size mostly on my nose area. Between the clarisonic and my retin A the pores on my nose are almost nonexistant

mdspice
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Oh man I am SO sold!!
Gotta save up! Crying or Very sad
starriest
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:47 am      Reply with quote
mdspice wrote:
I have noticed decreased pore size mostly on my nose area. Between the clarisonic and my retin A the pores on my nose are almost nonexistant

mdspice

This is precisely my experience with the Clarisonic and Retin A. I also occassionally use a BHA. The pores on my nose look much, much better.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |