Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Any form of Vit A on skin will cause flaking & irritatio
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:22 am      Reply with quote
I'm using a night cream that contains Retinyl Palmitate so I thought it shouldn't be too irritating. But after using it for about a wk or so, I find that my cheeks are red & sensitive. I understand there should be some flaking cuz that's the whole idea but my face feels a bit red & raw. Is that normal?

Also, is it not good to thin the skin so~ much? Thanks!
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Try working it in gradually-- 2/week, then 3/week, then alternate between every day and every other day and so forth..
It takes time for your skin to adjust, so just be patient. Retinyl Palmitate is quite mild, so I don't think you'll have much of a problem
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Are there any other irritating products in your regime? What night cream are you using? Usually such a weak retinol product would not cause redness. Im wondering if perhaps something else is interacting with it in the cream.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Stardusty, Palmitate stand for Palm oil? If so, check if you have sensitivity to that.

Some people have Palm oil intolerances.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok, Palmitate stands for Palm Oil...hhm I didn't know that.

amonavis & fat_swan, I'm using the Jamieson Retinol Night Renewal Cream. It has 1.1% of Retinal Palmitate in it. That's the only new stuff that I added in my routine. It seems now that my skin is dry, flaking, and also there're some tiny red irritating bumps. I wonder if this is just an adjusting period? Will it get better or my skin will keep on flaking & be irritated till the end? Confused
yauzit
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:25 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Afirm 2x for exactly 4 weeks and the pimples are gone it's been two weeks since my last pimple, and I still can't believe it!! I exfoliate once a week because this product will make your skin shed a lot of dead skin, so make sure you do that.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:35 am      Reply with quote
Your skin will become more sensitive because of retinal. You need to use a gentle cleanser and wear sunblock.
With prescription retinal, it takes three months to see proper improvement.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:01 am      Reply with quote
Skincare, mine is just Retinyl Palmitate, the mildest form but still I'm shedding like a snake...well maybe I'm exagerrating but I have a lot of peels & flakes. My skin is so~ dry right now and there're some tiny red bumps due to irritation I believe. Sad

So I guess I should use it alternatively or just a few times a wk. I'm just wondering when the peeling & flaking will stop? Or as long as I still use a Vit A topical, then the flaking will always be there? Thanks for the help!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Stardusty, I don't think the peeling will ever stop. I think it will go through stages of intense peeling, because your skin needs it. I like to use gentle Celcosment dual action scrub for this purpose. Very, very recently, I've decided to use 100% jojoba oil all over my skin and neck and I found that it does a similar job to Sonya Dakar Omega oil for acne skin. The result is good unless you don't like the moist/dewy look of your skin once it's applied. I find the the peeling does not show as much, don't don't forget to do a light physical facial scrub. Personally, jojoba did not affect my tinted moisturizer. But I'm using LM oil free tinted moisturizer. This may help the sheer foundation to hold on to my skin better and does not ball up. I should share with you that at my new place, it is very dry here in the winter and it seems that this winter it's cold and windy. That combination is not helping with the situation. Normally I would wash my face at the end of my day at work, but I work in the downtown core and there is lead issue with the water. It is a known fact that if you have high levels of lead in your water, it will aggravate your acne, even when you got it under control. From a recent television news report, they said to let your water run on high pressure for 7 minutes! Boiling water will not evaporate lead.

As for getting red bumps, is it possible that they are underlying pimples and your medication is trying to kill all the bacteria? If your face does get swollen, your doctor should also prescribe an antibiotic lotion to wear at night. I am thinking of buying Decleor Ylang Ylang night balm, but I'm not sure if this is okay for me. Or, I might purchase lavender essence and put a few drops in with my jojoba oil and lavender is known to calm the skin.
What do you think?
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Skincare, I'm not sure if the tiny red bumps are due to my underlying pimples. I stopped using the Retinyl Palmitate night cream for a few days and my skin is much better now. The tiny red bumps, irritaion, and dryness are gone. There're still some flaking but it's barable. I'm thinking of using the night cream probably 3x a wk first and then gradually increase the usage. I guess my skin needs some adjusting as it's quite sensitive.

I didn't know that Lead in water will aggravate acne. How do i find out? Confused
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:26 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Skincare, I'm not sure if the tiny red bumps are due to my underlying pimples. I stopped using the Retinyl Palmitate night cream for a few days and my skin is much better now. The tiny red bumps, irritaion, and dryness are gone. There're still some flaking but it's barable. I'm thinking of using the night cream probably 3x a wk first and then gradually increase the usage. I guess my skin needs some adjusting as it's quite sensitive.

I didn't know that Lead in water will aggravate acne. How do i find out? Confused

I don't think you would want to find out if there is no problem with your water. But if you live in one of those old, upper class community, there will be old pipes and there bound to be lead.

Good luck with your cream. I hope it won't get too complicated for you. Maybe it's the brand of retinol that is now working for you, but don't forget that it takes three months to find out if it's working or not.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |