Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Do you tip at a buffet?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
littlelotus
5% products discount

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:42 am      Reply with quote
Please help me settle this once and for all. My husband and I love a chinese buffet in our area, they have a great selection, sushi bar, and mongolin(sp?) grill. He tips the waitress 20% of the bill and still tips the sushi staff. I agree on tipping, but IMO that's a tad too much for bringing drinks and removing plates? I understand under tipping is a big no-no, I used to be a waitress in high school, but am I being unreasonable? Does anyone else tip 20% at a all you can eat buffet?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:14 am      Reply with quote
I absolutely think you should tip when you have the buffet! For one thing, the waitress still has to bring you drinks, keep the drinks refilled, remove your dirty plates, put your order into the computer, etc, so it's not like she's napping on the job. Besides, if everyone in her section orders the buffet and leaves her a tiny tip, she could end up working an 8 hour shift for something like $20... or less! I used to waitress at a place that had a buffet, and people would come in and order the buffet for lunch and I would still treat them like kings, making sure they had plenty to drink, etc, and they would leave me a dollar if I was lucky. To this day I still remember how hurt and frustrated I was by peoples' thoughtlessness, so I make sure to never under-tip no matter what!

5% products discount

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Believe me, I would never think about NOT tipping, usually it's 20%. But at this buffet they charges $15 per person and when you add on drinks... i just think it's a bit much. I have taken my brother and his girlfriend there and the food IS good for a party of 4 the bill is at least $60. So at least $12 for a tip and add on for the sushi counter? Confused But hey, I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong! Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:52 am      Reply with quote
The poor wait staff at buffet's work harder, and are constantly back and forth clearing all the mess..

Not to mention *some* buffet patrons who eat as if they are going to the electric chair the following morning.. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

DH and I always leave a 20 to 25% tip no matter where we dine. (Both of us worked for tips many moons ago; He: cab driver, Me: bartender, so we feel their pain!)

ETA: In general, if you can't afford to give a proper tip without analysing it all, then you can't afford to dine out.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
littlelotus
5% products discount

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for helping clear it up, like I said, I'm not afriad to admit when I'm wrong. I just hate it when my husband is right!! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
Tip the same as at a regular restaurant.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
ok, I totally agree on leaving the waitress at least 20%... but how about the part where littlelotus says "and still tips the sushi staff"?

I assume that sushi chefs already make more than the waitress; is it really necessary to tip them as well? I mean, you don't see any other restaurants with a separate tip jar for the chef!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
ok, I totally agree on leaving the waitress at least 20%... but how about the part where littlelotus says "and still tips the sushi staff"?

I assume that sushi chefs already make more than the waitress; is it really necessary to tip them as well? I mean, you don't see any other restaurants with a separate tip jar for the chef!

If you're a regular and the same sushi staff is there regularly as well, tipping can help you get better/more sushi going forward. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
nadjazz wrote:

If you're a regular and the same sushi staff is there regularly as well, tipping can help you get better/more sushi going forward. Very Happy

Agreed. Also, I always want to ensure that the person preparing raw fish for me thinks favorably of me and doesn't make any "mistakes"!!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
we never tip in asia Very Happy
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
hhm really? 20% or more tips? I thought it's usually about 10%?

I live in Vancouver btw. I feel that tipping is not really necessary unless you're satisfied with the service and food. It's not mandatory unless otherwise stated on the menu in some fine restaurants. I always tip 10% of the bill when I eat at a restaurant.

I find that many ppl don't tip at those places where u walk in, order your food, and then pay right away. They usually just have a jar there saying tips which is mostly empty or contains a few dollars only. I find that I'm the one doing it at those places...

ok back to the topic, I don't think you need to pay seperate tips to the chef at the sushi bar unless if u want to. I guess just tips on the actual bill is good enough. Usually those tips are share among all the staff in the restaurant. The waiters/ waitresses get the most % and the kitchen staff such as chefs or helpers or whatever get a lesser share I believe? well, at least at where I used to work b4 when I was in high school.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
In America, the standard tip is 20%. You don't have to tip in take out places, fast food places, anything like that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
calorblind wrote:
we never tip in asia Very Happy

LOL, calorblind! I know you are in the UK, honey! Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:52 am      Reply with quote
hahaha im in Paris France Very Happy
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
calorblind wrote:
hahaha im in Paris France Very Happy

Oops, my mistake! Embarassed

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |