Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
pH balance and aging
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I was in the skin care section of the bookstore yesterday. I forget the name of this book (I'm going to find out when I go back tomorrow and will update) but it was about pH balance and health, and it is written by a dermatologist. One of the most startling things in the skin care chapter was that using too many acidic products on your skin can cause aging. And it totally makes sense. She mentions in her book that in her practice, peope who overuse glycolic acid products which have an acidic pH can age faster since overuse releases collagen degrading enzymes (because of inflammation) causing aging.

She talks positively about Retin A but I think the problem arises when one uses too many acidic products all the time.

She also mentions that too much manual exfoliation may not be good-- once a week is enough, the other days you can use gently use your fingers.

It made sense to me because when I was using glycolic peels once a week or sometimes even more, my skin looked horrible. Basically I looked older last year than I do now. I just thought it was interesting and goes to show that more is not always better.

So my question is, those of you who use an acidic Vitamin C product (pH is usually around 3 or 4) daily, and an acidic retinoid (Retin-A is around 4-5) daily, have you definately seen improvements from this? (I found out that Tazorac has a pH of around 6-7 which I feel more comfortable with since it is less acidic.) I am curious to know what some of our sciency members (i know there are SEVERAL) think about pH of products as it relates to aging and inflammation. Of course, everyone's opinions are welcome!!!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
The book is called "Stop Aging, Start Living" by Dr. Jeannette Graf.

I hate to say it, but I don't really recommend this book. While she did talk about topicals, she focused primarily on your diet as driving any pH issues.

I felt like the only info I really gleaned was the recommendation to drink an alkalizing greens drink (she recommends GreensFirst which I already used daily) and to eat less acidic foods. Oh, and to find some fun in your life.

But yes, there are a number of us who do try to maintain a more alkaline existance...there is a thread that got moved to the lounge that started off focusing on cancer, and ended up talking about pH.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30594&highlight=ph

As far as aging is concerned, you should also look into the impact of inflammation...both at the skin level and far deeper in your body. That was definitely an eye opener for me, and it changed my skin care activities and frequencies significantly. But that's a topic for another thread. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:

So my question is, those of you who use an acidic Vitamin C product (pH is usually around 3 or 4) daily, and an acidic retinoid (Retin-A is around 4-5) daily, have you definately seen improvements from this? (I found out that Tazorac has a pH of around 6-7 which I feel more comfortable with since it is less acidic.) I am curious to know what some of our sciency members (i know there are SEVERAL) think about pH of products as it relates to aging and inflammation. Of course, everyone's opinions are welcome!!!

well i cannot speak for others neither myself (as I'm yet to set out my own regime). But from reading, some can tolerate using the combo and there r others who cannot. it all depends on the resilience and the thickness of your skin. these innevitably decline as part of the aging process.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:56 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
As far as aging is concerned, you should also look into the impact of inflammation...both at the skin level and far deeper in your body. That was definitely an eye opener for me, and it changed my skin care activities and frequencies significantly. But that's a topic for another thread. Smile

Definitely agree. I think this inflammation/aging issue is coming up more and more and plays a major impact on aging.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:22 am      Reply with quote
I agree with more is not always good. I am a fan of less is more.

And also, not get too much into it - we all age, that's a normal process, and eternal youth has not been invented. So, take it with dignity, and do what makes sense. Without overdoing it and losing sleep over it. I think using cheap makeup and cosmetics ages your skin faster, and makes it look horrible. I try to do bare minimum for maintenance, and using natural product, mostly of course with some exceptions.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
bethany wrote:

Definitely agree. I think this inflammation/aging issue is coming up more and more and plays a major impact on aging.

I spent a couple hours googling inflammation and aging, but couldn't really find any definitive info on how to avoid it. Could someone please point me in the right direction? TIA!

Just a thought, but if inflammation causes aging, how can dermarolling or copper peptides be good? Sorry if this is a question that has been answered a thousand times, it's just tha the dermarolling thread is too long to read through!
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
how can dermarolling or copper peptides be good?

Was it scientifically proven that it's good?!
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps I should re-phrase: how can inflammation be a bad thing when dermarolling is responsible for fixing so many problems?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
zverenok wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps I should re-phrase: how can inflammation be a bad thing when dermarolling is responsible for fixing so many problems?

The key is to not roll too frequently....overdoing it results in ongoing chronic inflammation.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:50 am      Reply with quote
But rolling creates inflammation Eh? Eh?
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:40 am      Reply with quote
yep, it is needed to boost collagen, but as bethany said, it is the "chronic" in other words "ongoing" inflammation that becomes a problem if ur not allowing sufficient rest in between rolls.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
from another thread:

bethany wrote:

please be aware that acute inflammation that lasts for longer than 2 weeks turns into chronic inflammation and actually speeds up the rate at which you skin ages.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Question for Bethany or anyone who knows,

I agree that inflammation causes aging. But what about systems like Obagi which typically causes redness for weeks to months or even just Retin A, which can cause redness and peeling as well. Do the collagen stimulating properties of these medications cancel out the collagen depletion that inflammation causes? (that would make sense to me, given all the studies that show that Obagi/retin A can significantly reduce wrinkles and other signs of aging over the course of a year. Thoughts?
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
this is an interesting thread...about a month ago I started looking into anti-inflammatory foods (which, if you saw another thread is why I stopped drinking coffee/diet coke and started trying to drink tea). However! I didn’t even think to consider my skin and how the products I use on it might or might not cause more inflammation.

I use 20 vit C in the am and 12% AHA soufflé at night….and my skin is much better than it was prior to doing this (I have been on this routine for a min of 2.5 yrs)

For those of you interested in learning more about anti-inflammatory diets you can look into Dr Perricone (I am not endorsing him and I do not agree 100% of what he says, just the why behind anti-inflammatory diet). Also, check out this website:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4407/2

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that Perricone knows a lot about anti inflammatory dieting. It is similar to the South Beach diet, which isn't so much of a diet as a way of life. I try to eat like this- Olive oils, lean proteins, avoid sugar. It makes an amazing difference in how one looks and feels.

It's a shame about his products though. I find them very overpriced and his cleanser wreaked havoc on my sensitive skin. Had WAY too much frangrance and alcohol. My skin never looked worse than when I was using his products. Oh yeah, his vitamin C ester product made be break out and I NEVER break out. I am sure he has a few good products but overall I am not impressed. But I have watched him on PBS and he really helped me change my diet and learn about nutrition.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
There is a TON of dietary research out there on eating so that your body is NOT acidic. (which does NOT mean avoiding acidic foods... has to do with how the body converts.) Acidic bodies harbor disease...cancer etc... This is totally worth looking into... if you want a healthy, slower to age body...

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
yeah, it's very true that the body becomes acidic when in bad mood, sad, and just about every negative feeling or emotions.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:33 am      Reply with quote
This is a FABULOUS topic Exclamation I've begun hearing about the consequences of inflammation, but it's still fairly new to me.

Bethany - you said you have a lot of info, would you mind sharing, starting a whole new thread, giving us links. You seem so knowledgeable about this.

I think this is worthy of an entire thread.

Please, anyone who has info do share!

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:48 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
This is a FABULOUS topic Exclamation I've begun hearing about the consequences of inflammation, but it's still fairly new to me.

Bethany - you said you have a lot of info, would you mind sharing, starting a whole new thread, giving us links. You seem so knowledgeable about this.

I think this is worthy of an entire thread.

Please, anyone who has info do share!

Yes, Please share anything you have Bethany. This topic is top in my mind right now, as well! Very Happy Your knowledge would really be appreciated!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
I believe that we should make a distinction between inflammation in the body (internally) and possible inflammation in the skin (externally) as a result from dermarolling, strong acids or other more or less invasive cosmetic procedures.

EXTERNAL: If a cosmetic treatment really does cause inflammation, I believe it is difficult for the average woman/man to estimate how much dermarolling, acid treatments, or whatever, is too much. I believe that a dermatologist will have to answer these questions. These are my thoughts only (for what it is worth).

INTERNAL: It's much easier to know which steps to take to keep the inflammation in our body under control.

According to the article below from Smartskincare.com, inflammation is now recognized as one of the key risk factors for heart disease and stroke, maybe an even bigger risk factor than high cholesterol and homocysteine. Inflammation is also viewed as a contributor to common age related neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

It says that chronic inflammation contributes to the aging of many tissues (I guess this includes skin), and that it is particularly prominent in the aging of the cardiovascular and nervous system.

Keeping inflammation under control should be a part of anyone's comprehensive anti-aging strategy, according to the article.

Quote:

The basic steps to reduce inflammation in the body include:

Better dental hygiene. Low grade gum infections are extremely common and have a major negative impact on heart disease and possibly other conditions.

Exercise. Evidence indicates that regular exercise improves low-grade chronic inflammation (it may worsen acute or active chronic inflammation, so be careful).

Weight loss. Obesity appears to increase the overall level of inflammation in the body, while bringing your weight back to the optimum (BMI 20-25) does the opposite.

No smoking. Smoking floods your system with free radicals and irritants, promotes inflammation and other forms of damage.

Anti-inflammatory diet. Diet has an impact on the overall level of inflammation in your body. A number of dietary adjustments can help minimize inflammation, including the following:
Reducing or eliminating saturated and trans fat; increasing the intake of Omega 3-fat (fish, fish oil, flax seed oil), increasing consumption of varied multicolored fresh fruits ad vegetables, Also, anti-inflammatory diet should be high in fiber and favor low-glycemic foods. Some research indicates that animal protein may be somewhat pro-inflammatory.

http://www.smartskincare.com/aging/aging-mechanisms_inflammation.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Obesity is a major cause of inflammation , it causes leptin resistance and the formation of AGE's in you body , these factors contribute to aging, cancers, heart disease diabetes and Alzheimer's ..etc

one way to avoid inflammation is to lose weight and control you insulin levels in your blood , eat anti, inflammatory foods to avoid lepitn resistance .avoid sugar spikes in blood to prevent AGE's from foaming , alkalizing your body also prevents both

Inflammation on a cellular level disturbs the immune system ,and then set up a motion chain of biochemical events that results in the hormonal imbalance that's is called leptin resistance which makes it nearly impossible to lose weight

AGEs ( advanced glycation end products) :
start with a sugar molecule bonds to a protein molecule and then cross-linking the protein with enzymes that break down healthy tissues, the protein can be anyway in your heart , brain , or skin, accumulation of AGE are major contribution of aging
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Septembergirl and Nibn for the information. Very interesting. The anti-inflammatory diet really just seems to be common sense for general good health, basically. I guess I was expecting something more "exotic"!

I have to do some searching around on the external inflammatory causes. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has any other information on how one would know what is too much inflammation with the acids, etc.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
Drnking lemon water (large glass of water with the juice of one lemon) - or split out the lemon into a few glasses of water) will serve to alkalinize your body... Who would've thought this with an acidic Lemon? I do this and the Greens First drink Bethany mentioned. In fact it is because of Bethany that I tried it.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have been on pH balanced diet for a while now, and lemon water first thing in the morning is a part of it. I test my pH daily, and was able to get to the point where I keep it in a good alkaline range with ease. pH balanced approach makes a lot of sense, and all of a sudden recommendations such as drink lemon water or eat green vegetables have deeper meaning.
sylvitay
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
That is good amonovais, the skin is acidic, they are talking about the extrememes? My doctor said that acidic products keep the bacteria down and that it helps in cell renewal.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |