Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Do you ever use products after their expiry date?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:42 am      Reply with quote
I wouldn't naturally, but I had an opportunity to purchase some Valmont products for a fraction of their usual cost because they were very nearly past their sell-by date. I was able to get the Renewing Pack, Eye Regenerating Pack, Lip/Eye Cream, Neck Cream and Exfoliant for £5.00 each!!!

I tried to test all of them as close as possible to when I purchased, but they are all now past their expiry date. I find it hard to believe they are all now useless - but does anyone have any information/evidence to prove otherwise?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:50 am      Reply with quote
I would love to see the ingredients to tell you more. If they have quite strong preservatives and the smell is good - ie. you don't smell any rancidity, although that could be developing without any sign. So list the ingredients.
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:51 am      Reply with quote
I just finished with a tube of big time expired Retin-A and it worked fine. It may have lost some potency, but it was definitely not useless.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
Use them on your feet.
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
I understand that the use by date is usually conservative, ie, the company estimates the time but the date on the package is less than the actual date to protect the company. I'm not sure how long though.

I usually go by what it is. A sunscreen I will usually not use much past the date. Other creams will probably not harm you but may not be as potent. I also go by the smell. If the smell has changed then something has happened and you have to decide whether to waste your time using a product that may not be delivering the full results.
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
bciw wrote:
Use them on your feet.

great Idea , you never know if something is past it's expiry date what kind of bacteria is in it
ximing
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
I bought a set of N.V. Perricone MD before I found Obagi. I just realised all four products of Perricone are expired on Jan, 2009. I don't know whether it is ok as I am using the firming activator on my neck. I don't like Perricone's Eye Area Therapy and I think I will waste those two 7.4ml bottles' eye therapy.
LuvToSmile
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
An expiry date for medicines typically means that after that date, only 90% potency remains. It does not mean the product is no longer good, just not as effective. For cosmetics, I am not sure of the definition of expiry date since it is not governed by the FDA. However I have to imagine it is still OK up to a point.
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for everyone's feedback. The idea that it loses potency but isn't suddenly impotent 1-day past its best-buy date makes sense to me.

I also take on board the point that it depends on the ingredients, and so I had a proper look at the Valmont items that triggered the question and what struck me first and foremost is how MANY ingredients there are! For instance, VALMONT RENEWING PACK:

Water (Aqua), Mineral Oil, Propylene Glycol, Sodium DNA, Calcium DNA, Magnesium DNA, Menthyl Lactate, Hydrolyzed RNA, Urea, Carbomer, C12-20 Avid Peg-8 ester, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Titanium Dioxide, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Disodium EDTA, Chlorhexidine Digluconate, Laureth-7, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxy-Ethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutyparaben, Propybaraben, Fragrance, Butyphenyl, Methylpropional, Limonene, Citronellol, Linalool, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene-Carboxaldehyde, Eugenol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citral, Benzyl Bezoate.

Phew. Forgive me if I've misspelled any of the above, but I've answered my own question even if I did so in a roundabout way: I don't want to use anything on my face with that many ingredients!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:49 am      Reply with quote
You will never find any Valmont products with simple ingredients list.

And no many allergic incidents are reported by any Valmont users. Quite amazing.
LULUKA
5% products discount

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Yeah!To use them on hands or feet.But never on face.I don't want to put myself in danger.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:52 am      Reply with quote
I would use some products like cleansers, toners and some creams but with sun screen only about a month past and then not on a really sunny day or if I were to be out a lot that day.
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:52 am      Reply with quote
i always do.

in fact i bought a juice beauty kit at discounted price (10 euros) and the expiry date was in May or December 2009 so i emailed Juice beauty and asked them, and they told me not to worry, that their products are good for 18 months after the expiry dates
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
I generally do, as long as the product doesn't look/smell funky... But eye products I generally use it up on my lips or cuticles as I don't want to ask for an infection. For everything else, it also depends on how long past the expiry date and how much product I have left. Say if I have more than 3/4 of a cream 12 mths after expiration, I'll probably use it on my body until it smells, separates or changes color. Except for antioxidants-- I don't want to 'oxidate' ANY part of my body out of my own cheapness!! For acids/peels, I think it's ok but just less potent. HTH
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:14 am      Reply with quote
If my face cream is expired, I would use it to be hand cream.....I do not want to waste them...
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
You will never find any Valmont products with simple ingredients list.

That's because of Valmont's extensive preservative list - and not too many natural ingredients that may oxidize or grow bacteria.

Expiry date especially with natural products is of high importance - natural ingredients oxidize and have bacteria growth. It may have already begun, but you wouldn't be able to tell by naked eye, and it may have developed before you actually smell a difference.

So it all really depends on what it is, list of ingredients and so on.

If it's a natural product, I do not use after expiry date. for sunscreens - especially physical ones - titanium dioxide, zinc oxide - those don't go bad or lose potency. Other ingredients in the sunscreen may. So best if you use a powder veil with just those powders and then don't worry about expiry.
Quote:
fang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:10 am      Reply with quote
i had a valmont Regenerating Pack hiding in the corner of my closet for 3 years Shock
i used it,no problem
but my closet is cooler and darker(of course)than other part of the house,maybe it is why

5% products discount

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
I use them on my body not on my face.
ximing
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
If I have Valmont products, I would not waste any. So expensive Laughing
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:48 am      Reply with quote
fang wrote:
i had a valmont Regenerating Pack hiding in the corner of my closet for 3 years Shock
i used it,no problem
but my closet is cooler and darker(of course)than other part of the house,maybe it is why

God...You'd better not use it on your face any more. If you do not want to waste them, maybe using on neck is a good choice.
"No problem" does not mean that they are as good as brand new products, their ingredients may have changed and inactive.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:16 am      Reply with quote
keep an eye on the product's consistency, if and looks different than initially, (for ex; it has separated in layers, etc)then that should give u a clue on the product's integrity.
yobi
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:23 am      Reply with quote
me too, feet , hands and neck
bciw wrote:
Use them on your feet.
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
It looks like there is no hard and fast rule for using cosmetics after the use by date. It depends on whether there are natural ingredients, actives, which actives, preservatives and how many, etc.

In the end you really need to look at the ingredient list and the look, feel and smell of the product itself. If it seems fine and you use it on your face, and there is no reaction, then continue but be aware that it may not be doing as good a job as it did before the use by date.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
I do use it after exp date but not if it's sunscreen, and not if it's too long after exp date. Well, actually I guess I used sunscreen a month after exp date before but only if I really had nothing else and could not get to a store. Better than nothing at all?
wylone
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
it depends on the products. for face, no. bodies, absolutely yes.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |