Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Decleor Wonders of Nature Men's Energising Skincare Set (4 items) Cellular Skin Rx ProgeniDerm™ Anti-Senescence Skin Stem Cell Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Colorescience Corrector Palette - Global (12 g / 0.42 oz)
Strange Pimples that leave hard bump

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I'm noticing that sometimes I get these "strange" pimples. What is strange about them is they leave a hard bump for along time! I was wondering if anyone has this problem? I've been putting Manuka honey on the hard spots and it seems to help.

Thanks
Smile
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:27 am      Reply with quote
These are underground cysts, they never come to a head, Or to the surface. also know as hormonal acne.is the hardest type to deal with.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:52 am      Reply with quote
It does sound like cystic acne. It can take several weeks for a cyst to clear up. IMO you need a retinoid to deal with these. Most OTC products are not strong enough to reach deep enough to get to the pimple.
A cortisone shot from the derm clears these up within days.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
You need to get the 'seed' extracted either from a skin professional or a dermatologist. That way you remove the cause of future inflamation for that one pore
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
They can also be milia.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/article_Milia_56.html

http://www.bigskincare.com/skin_diseases/milia_causes_treatment.php
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Oh god. I have one of those giant hard pimples right now. I came on here to see advice how lucky you've started this thread. My pimple is so big I can feel it with my tongue inside my mouth (it's on my chin) Ever since I started Diane I've been getting some massive pimples (1 at a time luckily) but this is the only underground one. I guess I'll have to ask for a referral to a derm. Canadian gals do you have problems getting to a derm? I have to practically beg my gp to give me a referral and then it's a good month wait. How the heck am I supposed to get a cortisol shot Question
Maybe a cosmetic derm. Like a laser centre...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
and then I read this...

"The real risk, according to Dr. Bellman, is having too much cortisone or too strong a concentration injected into the pimple. In such cases, a dent may appear in your skin as the pimple goes away. The dent is typically temporary but in some cases it may be permanent. This is not a frequent occurrence but, as with any medical procedure, make sure you discuss the risks with your doctor beforehand."

I guess I'll just let it alone. For gosh sakes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Yea getting a cort shot or not getting one, either way there is a risk of an indented scar. However a derm who knows what he/she is doing should minimize the risk of a dented scar.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I suffered from cystic acne last year. Apparently it was trigger by hormones. I tried everything and honestly the only thing that stopped the constant outbreaks was antibiotics.

Having said that I just had one of those 2 weeks ago and yes there is a small bump still. I put a glob of Restorative Cream from Skinactives on at night and the swelling and redness goes away very quickly.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
You need to get the 'seed' extracted either from a skin professional or a dermatologist. That way you remove the cause of future inflamation for that one pore

yes, seek expert hands, but even so, i believe theres a risk of spreading the infection deeper into the skin by forcing it. and your skin will be more traumatized.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi callalily! Yes, those cortisone shots can definitely leave a bit of a "dent." I guess I've had 3-4 before--- the worst one ever was when I couldn't get into a derm right before my wedding, so I had a GP give me an injection in my forehead. He used too much and the dent was so noticeable, I would often have kids stop me on the street and ask me if I hurt myself, LOL! Luckily in a few months it filled it--- the honest truth is that I'm SO bothered by the cystic blemishes that can linger painfully for months on end that I actually would rather take my chances with the cortisone shot, dent or no!!! I have yet to find a really good treatment for these infernal cystic blemishes, but the most effective treatments I've found so far are: tazorac (prescription only), Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel (a dab of it only on the blemish, and then leave it overnight), and Dermadoctor's Ain't Misbehaving Spot treatment which combines 5% BP with clay and anti-inflammatory herbs.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have been post-menopausal for 8 yrs and recently starting eating edemame. After about a week and a half I started breaking out with hormonal acne. At first I couldn't figure out what was going on. I stopped eating the edemame and the acne started to subside and now, except for the ravages of dark pigment, mostly all gone. I also use the Acne LightStim (new purchase) but didn't start until it until after the acne started to fade so it may be a combo of both helping to clear it up but I feel strongly that it was the soy estrogens in the edemame.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
callalily wrote:
and then I read this...

"The real risk, according to Dr. Bellman, is having too much cortisone or too strong a concentration injected into the pimple. In such cases, a dent may appear in your skin as the pimple goes away. The dent is typically temporary but in some cases it may be permanent. This is not a frequent occurrence but, as with any medical procedure, make sure you discuss the risks with your doctor beforehand."

in my case, the dents were permanent. sadly my derm did not care to tell about the cons. A little tip that comes from my experience: try not to beg so badly for these cortisone shots cuz it might get interpreted like you couldn't care less for the side effects.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
I get those occasionally. A good retinoid helps a lot, but it'll take a few weeks to clear up entirely. Surface treatments (like AHAs or BP) don't help all that much to shrink the darned thing and will just make the skin on/around it flaky, red and more noticeable.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice Allie, Girliegirl. You guys make me feel less alone with my new friend .
Manslayerliz - Good you can look back and laugh now. A kid once asked my friend if her face was melting. Silenced

Bciw - I'm sorry to hear that. They should have the opposite logic that you care about your face!! Why else would you be trying to rid yourself of a blemish.

Millbader, like you I think that my cyst (or whatever it is) is from estrogen (from the pill). Diane has higher levels of estrogen to combat androgens or so I have been told... I guess I'll just leave it alone. I wonder if I can get a script for Spiro or another anti-biotic. I'm definatly going to try to use Tazorac or another retinoid product and when I can afford it I plan on picking up a BabyQ or a LightStim. But I don't foresee that happening any time soon... Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Oops double post! Manslayer liz how was your adjustment to Tazorac??
Millbader I believe it was - is the light stim clearing up your marks??

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Good news, ladies! I stumbled onto a way to help banishes these dreadful cystic breakouts! A few days ago I started to get something major on my chin---- very red, very painful, very deep. I resigned myself to just living with it for oh, say a month, but I figured I'd try to do what I could. First I used a medicated acne wash (dermadoctor's Ain't Misbehaving-- love that stuff) with my clarisonic, and gently (gently!) concentrated the clarisonic brush on my breakout for 20 seconds or so to really let the medicine from the wash penetrate down to the core of the blemish. Afterwards I put on a dab of Dermadoctor's Ain't Misbehaving Emergency spot treatment and went to bed. In the morning the monster was 90% gone! No more redness, no more pain--- it was amazing!

Callalily- I've been using Taz for years now actually, but when I first started it was a pretty tough adjustment. I would recommend having a serious moisturizer on hand (such as Arcona's Chamomile Balm or Korres Thyme Honey Cream) before you start giving it a go. Unfortunately for whatever reason it stopped working as well for me so I pretty much gave up on it, but I did get pretty good results for a while. If you don't want to take the plunge with a prescrip you might try Dermadoctor's Ain't Misbehaving line--- both the serum and the spot treatment have an ingredient that deals with the hormonal cause of adult acne, and it helped me where Taz dropped the ball. Within 6 weeks it knocked out 100% of my "surface breakouts" and it cut my cystic breakouts in half.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
I had a bad feeling it might be cystic acne. I usually don't get hard pimples. Actually sometimes I get those hard bumps when I'm allergic to something. For example, I tried this new protein powder. I got three hard pimples on my face. I stopped taking it and didn't get anymore.. strange I know. Thanks to all that have replied! Smile
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:25 am      Reply with quote
The cystic acne breakouts have stopped. There are still some hard bumps under the skin. I am using LightStim Acne and AALS but It has only been a bit over a week and I haven't noticed any results on those awful dark spots the acne left behind....but I am not without hope!
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:32 am      Reply with quote
bciw wrote:
callalily wrote:
and then I read this...

my case, the dents were permanent. sadly my derm did not care to tell about the cons. A little tip that comes from my experience: try not to beg so badly for these cortisone shots cuz it might get interpreted like you couldn't care less for the side effects.

I have a sebaseous cyst on my chin that now feels like a hard pimple deep under the skin. It is only slightly visible on the surface, but to me it looks like a mountain on my chin Confused . In desperation I went to my dermatologist and begged for a steriod injection. He warned me about the dent that could occur, but I decided I would rather have a dent than a bump, so I did it. Sure enough, the dent gradually appeared. I was using my dermaroller almost weekly at that time, and not paying any particular attention to that spot, but within 5-6 weeks, I noticed the dent was GONE!!!! Of course, the sebaceous cyst was still there. So, the moral of this story: USE A DERMAROLLER TO GET RID OF DENTS!!!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
are you goin' to get to the root of the sebaceous cyst. And does it matter if u leave it as is.
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Ok I had a large almost dime sized underground pimple, no head, no redness. I squeezed at it a little a week ago and last night I did again (
i've had it for 2 weeks or more...)
So first a little white stuff came out, then just blood for a long time. The spot is still there it's just a little smaller. I remember my pimples bled when I was in high school, but I guess it must be two pimples... So strange. Hope it doesn't have a mark.
Mountain Girl do you think dermarolling could correct some of the damage picking and squeezing at my chin has done. I feel like it's almost all damaged tissue sometimes. but it's been worse lately, so I hope it looks normal again soon. Any product recs?
Sorry for being greedy for answers I was just shocked to see it in the sunlight this morning.

Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Oh god. Girliegirl I don't think it will dent badly as is. Why would it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
callalily wrote:
Oh god. Girliegirl I don't think it will dent badly as is. Why would it?

Do you mean dent with or without the shot? I'm just saying there is a risk of it.
Louisa1303
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
I also have this kind of hard pimple under my nose at the side of it..and i tried to squeeze it but its still there till i went for facial my beautician help me to take it out... Cool but now i have the little dot of scar there how can i make it go away Rolling Eyes
System
Automatic Message
Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Payot Design Ultra Lift Remodelling Lifting Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Caudalie Favorites - Beauty Grows Here (5 items) Thalgo Plasmalg Gel Bath Preparation (150 ml / 5.07 floz)